PDA

View Full Version : Treestands for elk???

steepNdeep
09-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Another thread got me thinkin? Does anyone use a treestand for hunting elk? Anyone kill anything from it?

One of my friends has killed a couple of archery bulls and a couple of nice whitey bucks from the same stand. I've sat in them a few times, but like to roam and call mucho better.

Here's one of our spots, where there's a bit of sign... :D

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/wallow-stand1-s.jpg

Did you notice the stand in the pic?

Alpine Addict
09-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Just out of curiosity what are the exact coordiantes of that location? haha just kiddin.

Until you mentioned it I could have barely noticed the stand. Is it in the top right corner, lightly coloured beige?

hunter1947
09-08-2008, 05:43 AM
I have been using a summit self claiming tree stand now for 2 years for elk.

I have called in about 6 bulls when sitting in it the past two years.

All six where not a 6 point on ether side ,maybe this year I will count 6 on the one side when sitting in mine???.

mcrae
09-08-2008, 07:14 AM
I have a spot like that as well and I have been thinking really hard on a tree stand as well. I mostly rifle hunt though so I have been hesitant to sit in one stand all morning but I imagine if I could force myself to stay put it would work great...

browningboy
09-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Nice wallow / lick, just put some time in there and you should be rewarded! Just bring some magazines and wait and listen.:razz:

I like how the trail goes right under the stand!

steepNdeep
09-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Until you mentioned it I could have barely noticed the stand. Is it in the top right corner, lightly coloured beige?

Top left - right above the trail. I've had animals come in but haven't shot yet. I get too antsy sittin' there... 2 more sleeps!! :D

BCrams
09-08-2008, 01:43 PM
I would assume a treestand over a lick / wallow would be very effective ...

IF.....one has the patience to sit from morning till dusk.......eventually they will show up.

Kanook Senior
11-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Man someone here is reading my mind ? Was just golng to start a thread asking for info on tree stands ? what choice would you make- How high do you set them- How about for Moose Hunting ?
Lets hear it from all you Tree Stand Hunters ?

Yours In Hunting
Robbie

MuleyMadness
11-24-2009, 03:17 PM
A friend of mine bow hunts elk in the EK from a fantastic little spot almost exclusively during the rut from a tree stand...took a magnificant bull this year so it does work I guess...not much of that sort of hunting in these parts, but I do hear that it is very effective for moose as well, though almost a little unfair for the herbivorous swamp donkus.

J_T
11-24-2009, 04:39 PM
We take 3 or 4 elk every year from treestands (guys in one of two camps). There's lots of variables though. If you can pattern the elk activity over a lick, trail or wallow you increase your odds. But as soon as they feel hunter pressure their gone. They change their habits. Your initial high percentage window for success from a tree stand is short. Beyond that to remain in a stand takes patience. In the first few days we start and end our day in stands but in between we cut country and chase. After that it's all calling and hunting hard.

Hunt Hard, Hunt Traditional :)

GoatGuy
11-24-2009, 08:23 PM
We take 3 or 4 elk every year from treestands (guys in one of two camps). There's lots of variables though. If you can pattern the elk activity over a lick, trail or wallow you increase your odds. But as soon as they feel hunter pressure their gone. They change their habits. Your initial high percentage window for success from a tree stand is short. Beyond that to remain in a stand takes patience. In the first few days we start and end our day in stands but in between we cut country and chase. After that it's all calling and hunting hard.

Hunt Hard, Hunt Traditional :)

You just gotta figure out where they go when they're pressured. Then you'll be dialed.:wink:

hotload
11-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Probably got 6 bought stands hanging around sweet spots. Got a few homebuilt in other areas. A few of the stands are situated as per wind conditions. If one ain't working because of wind I wouldn't dream of heading to it. I set them in height according to terrain and usual prevailing winds. Down drafts are to be kept in consideration as well. I look for intersecting well travelled trails leading to feeding areas from their bedrooms. Also good areas are well used rub lines or frequently hit scrapes, but, these can be hit or miss as a lot of them are hit nocturnally. I also have back routes into these areas to keep the wise unsavvy. Since using treestands I have shot moose, arrowed and shot and let many, many deer,pass and arrowed a 6 point bull elk. Treestands sure aren't for everybody, it takes patience and confidence that everything you have done in stalking your stand, to, not contaminating any area while getting to it and being alert enough, and savvy enough to lure or entice your animal within range. The type of stand is personal, this depends a lot with the person. Bigger people are more comfortable with bigger stands. Some like the portability of smaller stands for the throw it up there and hunt which has it's own rewards like not being patterned by any animals especially your wise, wily crankers. Buying a stand is not rocket science, a couple of the most important features to look for is a decent sized tight celled foam seat, and a large platform for comfort. Climbing steps are convenient but a little more difficult to put up than climbing sticks, but, sticks can be cumbersome. Get your stand up early, the earlier the better, throw a bicycle lock on or reasonable facsimile for obvious reason and have at er. And always, always stalk your stand, your in their backyard, and they know every inch of it,every smell and every sound...........

J_T
11-25-2009, 07:46 AM
You just gotta figure out where they go when they're pressured. Then you'll be dialed.:wink: which is exactly why we don't remain in the stands beyond a couple of days.

But we move around hike lots. Lots of backcountry to use in the early bow season.

GoatGuy
11-25-2009, 10:59 AM
which is exactly why we don't remain in the stands beyond a couple of days.

But we move around hike lots. Lots of backcountry to use in the early bow season.

I meant with treestands. Couple spots I can think of where we see elk all season long bedded down or feeding midday. Be an excellent spot for a treestand if a person was into elk hunting. :wink: