PDA

View Full Version : Day 7 - Sunday, Foggy , Sunday

rocksteady
09-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Went to a different honey hole.

Usually the elk feed in the farmers alfalfa field and then at first light come out to the west to a huge island knoll of thick, thick timber, about a km or so away from the field. They will bed in there all day and return to the fields at night....

Rained a significant amount last night, was 5 C this morning with no wind..Some clear patches but lots of fog.

I snuck into the area, sat down and waited it out. Heard something crash in the trees, but could not see what it was or where it was due to fog. Could see maybe 75 or 100 yards once daylight hit. Not sure if it was an elk or not. Heard a couple whiteys snort....

Hiked across the block up to the thick timber and snuck around on the trails in the thick stuff....

Due to the rain it was very quiet, but nothing seen.....

On the way back to the truck in the block there had to have been 500 moo cows in the area, they were not in there yesterday afternoon...Wondering if they just got moved from one pasture and thats why I saw no elk.....

Oh well, 2 more days then may have to break out the ole '06. Not a bad thing, She barks really loud and proud (Handloads, 1 grain under max - kicks like a .300 Mag, but she is so accurate with that load)....

hunter1947
09-07-2008, 12:13 PM
O well at least you are having fun Mike ,you still have 2 days to connect ,maybe tomorrow might be that day ???.

brotherjack
09-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I took a spin down along Koocanusa this morning. Actually saw some elk!!!! Two of them, for all of 10 seconds. I'm not sure it improved my mood.

I'm about ready to quit this foolishness and go sit down by my favorite water hole and arrow the first two whitetails that come by and call it a year. Between house remodeling and the day jobs and everything else going on, I just don't have the time/energy to hunt this hard all season this year.

beeker
09-07-2008, 01:42 PM
I took a spin down along Koocanusa this morning. Actually saw some elk!!!! Two of them, for all of 10 seconds. I'm not sure it improved my mood.

I'm about ready to quit this foolishness and go sit down by my favorite water hole and arrow the first two whitetails that come by and call it a year. Between house remodeling and the day jobs and everything else going on, I just don't have the time/energy to hunt this hard all season this year.

BJ, you need to relax and start having some fun....remember it is called hunting not killing...

steepNdeep
09-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I've never hunted elk for more than a couple of days with my bow. If I was determined to kill one with my bow and had the time, I'd sit in a tree stand over a nice wallow / waterhole (can you spot the stand?..) Keep havin' fun! :wink:

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/wallow-stand1-s.jpg

tufferthandug
09-07-2008, 03:11 PM
That's a wicked treestand location!

brotherjack
09-07-2008, 04:04 PM
BJ, you need to relax and start having some fun....remember it is called hunting not killing...

Seeing critters is fun. Hunting critters is fun. Shooting critters isn't "fun" exactly, but it is a good experience none the less. Sitting in the bush for days on end without seeing hide nor hair of the critter I'm hunting - not so much fun (at least not for me).

Blame it on the Atari 2600 my parents bought me when I was younger. :)

eastkoot
09-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Was out yesterday for a cruise and saw a nice 5x5 maybe a six.. They are bugling a bit, should be good by rifle season. BJ, don't quit before you start cause the whining is just too much and we don't want to listen to it any longer!!! They are there so suck it up and give it your all.. If not, I've never had a bad piece of beef from Costco...