PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon fishing with Leaseman

newhunterette
09-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Yesterday Azshia and I were invited to go fishing with Mike and Nick for the day on the Fraser. It is always a treat to go out on Mike's boat as he is a great host. Azshia is addicted to sturgeon fishing as it wasn't too long ago that Peter and Mike took her out and she caught her first sturgeon 6'8".

Anyways we were on the river and in this one decent hole at 8:30 am them bam we hooked into a fish. Mike had to drop the anchor and run with this fish as it was a real dandy fighter. I reeled and reeled this thing for half an hour then Azshia had to take over for me because it was not giving in to come to the surface. She faught with this fish for another half hour with Nick coaching her and applauding her fight. He jumped in to releave her. As Mike kept the boat going doing at least 6 circle with this fish trying to get it tire out. We continued to trade the rod off back and forth between the three of us and at one point I think all three of us were pulling and reeling and trying with everything we had left to bring this fish up. One last ditch attempt was with Nick, when all of a sudden "poof" the line went slack and the dang fish went "awol" to be caught another day.
It was the most incredible fight Azshia and I have ever had on a rod and with Nick's help and his encouragement made us extremely happy to be a part of this day even if we lost the fish. Fighting that sucker was intense.

Mike estimated the fish was close to 10'.

We fished throughout the day, getting nibbles here and there and Nick caught a couple smaller sturgeons. We beached the boat for a little time as Azshia and Nick went blackberry picking and I had a nap.

We then met up with on of Mike's buddies and his boat as he was having a record day with sturgeons. We fished along side of them for a while then called it a day at 6 pm.

On the run back to the boat launch, we met up with a boat who decided he wanted Mike to race him so he could be caught up in the boats wake. Mike opened his boat right up and we lit up the river and what a rush. His boat has incredible handling power and those guys on the smaller boat were having a rush getting soaked from the spray. Azshia was laughing so hard as she knows Peter would never open his boat up like Mike did.

It was an exhiliarating day had by everyone.

Thanks Mike and Nick, you both "Rock It Out".

newhunterette
09-07-2008, 10:38 AM
slideshow:

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/Sturgeon%20Fishing%20with%20Mike/th_DSC_0043.jpg (http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/Sturgeon%20Fishing%20with%20Mike/?action=view&current=abe8e870.pbw)

mountainman
09-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Looks like a good! Man I wish I could get back there for a day or two for a good fight!

Leaseman
09-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the kind works Alison, you and your family have an open invitation at any time!! I was a good day out with an hour and a half spent fighting the first fish.... I think that tired you all out for the rest of the day....;):lol:

Can't wait for next time....8-)

Steeleco
09-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Great set of pictures, I now know where the best spots are for finding Dinosaurs!!! Thanks for sharing

Leaseman
09-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Dave-

The whole river is alive with fish last weekend..... you never know about this week or next and the best bait to use.....:eek:

Steeleco
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
So can you fish for Dino, when it's NOT hunting season? Mother Nature is one mean lady!!!

Leaseman
09-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Funny you ask Dave.....

Dino fishing (for me anyways!) usually starts late march and slowly gets better until it peaks in early to mid November......:D

mountainman
09-08-2008, 03:18 PM
You should take a day and hit the river for dinos with Mike you really won't regret it!!

Leaseman
09-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi Joe....

Dave might be worried that I will drown him or sink the boat.....:smile:

How is life in Alberta... getting any hunting in or just workin'?

mountainman
09-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Right now it is nothing but work, tried to do some goose hunting but work got in the way :mad: Hopefully soon I can get things together and get out to do the important things!!!:razz:

Man I need a holiday soon!!!

Dirty
09-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Great job to get out there and catch some fish while enjoying this nice weather for once. I just want to emphasize an important point without trying to sound condescending. I noticed in some of your pictures that another boat (presumably somebody else on the river that was not in your fishing party) was noosing fish and dragging them into the boat unsupported. There are a lot of people on HBC interested in pursuing sturgeon fishing or participating in this great fishery. Although some are experienced sturgeon fishermen others may be rookies or inexperiences fishermen/women. For this reason I just want to outline that your pictures of the other boat show the incorrect way to handle sturgeon. Firstly, there is absolutely no need to ever noose a fish. It is an unacceptable method for controlling fish while taking pictures. This method can cause irreparable damage to the fish. Secondly, the fish should never be pulled by the tail or lifted without support of the stomach. This can damage important organ structures and cartilage in the fish. Does it sound like I am just spouting off? Well just ask Marc Laynes, a foremost guide, and expert on sturgeon. He was involved with many studies on the Fraser River and has written this article about handling sturgeon:

http://www.bcsturgeon.com/article-sturgeon-noosing.htm

I in no way meant to put a damper on your outing or your thread but thought that this would be a good time and place to explain how fish should be handled. This article does a good job of outlining the do's and do nots. If these people were friends or if you see them again, I would ask that you give them a quick outline of the proper way to handle these fish. In the US there are places where sturgeon are not allowed to be taken out of the water for pictures because of incorrect handling. I would hate to see this happen to the Fraser River.

Leaseman
09-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Always look forward to your words of wisdom Dirty....:eek::smile:

Dirty
09-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Always look forward to your words of wisdom Dirty....:eek::smile:

Did you read the article? Marc Laynes is probably one of the foremost experts on sturgeon in the Fraser River. The only reason I posted this was because I did not want people to think that handling fish in this way is appropriate or necessary. The pictures show the epitome of the incorrect way to handle sturgeon. If anyone thinks noosing fish and dragging them up the stern of a boat is acceptable then they need to re-evaluate fishing for sturgeon. The old addage that these fish are tough, have been found in bath tubs of vietnamese grow-ops, and have been found in farmers fields is not applicable to the way sports fishermen/women should handle these fish. I believe that there is a motion being put forward to ban all noosing on the Fraser River.

Leaseman
09-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Dirty, you do sound like a real pro on sturgeon fishing.... how long have you been doing it and how often do you get out??

Yes, I did read the article... have read it before and have had numerous discussions with a lot of the top rods, guides etc on the river about this and other matters relating to the sturgeon.

I have introduced many to this fishery and have set up many more with guides to learn the proper way of handling the fish. I also contribute to fund raisers to help protect this fish and fishery.....

Dirty
09-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Dirty, you do sound like a real pro on sturgeon fishing.... how long have you been doing it and how often do you get out??

Yes, I did read the article... have read it before and have had numerous discussions with a lot of the top rods, guides etc on the river about this and other matters relating to the sturgeon.

I have introduced many to this fishery and have set up many more with guides to learn the proper way of handling the fish. I also contribute to fund raisers to help protect this fish and fishery.....

I have guided for sturgeon and have been fishing for these beasts for 10 years. I have also been involved with the tagging program on the Fraser River and other conservation efforts. If you have been so involved with these fish then why would you let people handle them this way? Obviously you are taking this issue personally and would argue black if I said white, but I said initially and I will say it again. This was not meant to be condescending or to take away from your day fishing. This was meant to educate people that this is not the right way to treat these fish, and do not handle them how they were handled in the pictures. Every friend of mine that is a guide and involved with the tagging program is adamant that the fish are not noosed and that the belly is supported. There is new rules being implemented on how fish are handled during tagging too. In my opinion, there are too many people handling sturgeon incorrectly on the river. The MOE or FR Sturgeon Conservation Society needs to put on a clinic to show the proper way to handle these fish. I also think that some new regulations are necessary to prevent mishandling of fish. Amongst the pictures that were posted, I have also seen pictures of fish dragged up on rocks, "boomeranged" in the bow of boats, and pictures of fish being held by the operculum. This stuff is not necessary or tolerable end of story.

Leaseman
09-09-2008, 08:09 AM
Sounds like you are the pro Dirty.....and at such a young age to be guiding....congrats....:D

On one small matter, I don't argue the difference between black and white. I learned the difference in grade school...:wink:

Have a nice day!

Dirty
09-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Like I said, I do not know why you are taking this personally. You are resorting to juvenile quasi-insults because you do not have an argument that could stand on it's feet. I never proclaimed to be an expert, that is why I linked to Marc Laynes article. Marc Laynes is an expert. Personally, I am not so arrogant that I would pretend to be more knowledgeable than an expert. You tried to discredit me by questioning my age, skill, and experience with a resulting failure. The real issue at hand is being polarized by childish pride. It takes a big person to admit that they were wrong, like Marc Laynes admitting to noosing. :biggrin:

huntwriter
09-09-2008, 08:20 AM
The MOE or FR Sturgeon Conservation Society needs to put on a clinic to show the proper way to handle these fish. I also think that some new regulations are necessary to prevent mishandling of fish.
…And next should be a law that requires a fishing education course and fish handling proficiency test before you can purchase a fishing license.:shock: NOT! Interesting how far some people will go to get our sport more and more restricted by regulations and laws. As if we not already have enough regulations to wade through each year.:roll:

Alison and Laserman looks like you had a great outing and a good story to tell. Great stuff! When we lived in Maple Ridge I always wanted to go sturgeon fishing but somehow never got around to it. Maybe one day I will just for the thrill of it.

Leaseman
09-09-2008, 08:25 AM
No insults at all Dirty,( you would know if I did insult you though!)... I actually enjoy reading some of your posts... you are wise beyond your years...:shock::smile:

Lighten up, go fishing or hunting and get into your happy place....have a nice day Dustin!

Leaseman
09-09-2008, 08:29 AM
huntwriter-

It was a great time as is every time on the mighty Fraser. Sturgeon fishing is something that every fisherman should experience at least once in their lifetime. The raw power of these brutes is what dreams are made of!

Mike

Dirty
09-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Mike,

I make a conscious effort to ensure that everybody on the world wide web knows how intelligent I am. The internet is a perfect place for me to bolster my ego and spout off. Oh, I sent an email to Marc Laynes to see if he will join the site and comment on the proper way to handle a sturgeon. He will be wading into a hotbed, but hopefully he will join the site and give some useful expert comments.

huntwriter
09-09-2008, 08:38 AM
huntwriter-
...Sturgeon fishing is something that every fisherman should experience at least once in their lifetime. The raw power of these brutes is what dreams are made of!

Mike
So I have been told. My wife took a picture of a sturgeon leaping out of the water. I was fishing for pinks at the time and just heard a big splash. Then my wife came and told me that she just saw a huge “monster fish” jump out of the water and took a picture of it. The picture turned out to be somewhat blurry and my wife, being a professional photographer, deleted it because it is useless for stock photography.

If I get the time to go after sturgeon I know now what guide to pick.:smile:

Leaseman
09-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Dirty, you need to change your name to Hornblower.....:p

But seriously, why would you post about how intelligent you are and wanting to prove it on the internet? Talk about leaving yourself wide open!
Sounds a bit like LMS......

Dirty
09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Sarcasm, hopefully some people can pick up on it. At any rate I have emailed Marc Laynes to see if he will join the site and offer some expert advice on handling sturgeon while sportfishing. His website states that he has been in operation for 19 years so he is not some joke of a guiding operation like others! He is the real deal.

Leaseman
09-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Looking forward to his response!!

I have enjoyed "our" time here but now need to go find something more "rewarding"!

Have a nice day Dustin.... looking forward to our next discussion! Maybe on global warming or maybe the easter rabbit!!

newhunterette
09-09-2008, 09:07 AM
geeze all I wanted was to share a fun day that Azshia and I had on the river and poof contraversey

I took tons more pictures of other boats on the river and their catches and fights but I usually try to post the more entertaining pics for people to enjoy

Peter and I are friends with many fishing guides as well as hunting guides and they have long standing reputations on the river and woods so I will just from now on ask their expertise on my photos before posting so I do not cause a rift between people on the site or offend anyone

I always try to post in the most positive way

thank you to those who commented on the photos - they were shared with the utmost respect in mind

Leaseman
09-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Alison, please accept my apology for helping turn your thread from a fun day to a load of horse poo.....:redface:

Us amateurs need to sit back and let all the proffessional intelligent people tell us what to do......

p.s. Dustin, I was taught by several top rods that have 20-30 years experience, if not more, on how to handle these fish etc...... maybe you should teach the guides who teach peons like me on what to do.....

huntwriter
09-09-2008, 09:32 AM
geeze all I wanted was to share a fun day that Azshia and I had on the river and poof contraversey

I took tons more pictures of other boats on the river and their catches and fights but I usually try to post the more entertaining pics for people to enjoy

Peter and I are friends with many fishing guides as well as hunting guides and they have long standing reputations on the river and woods so I will just from now on ask their expertise on my photos before posting so I do not cause a rift between people on the site or offend anyone

I always try to post in the most positive way

thank you to those who commented on the photos - they were shared with the utmost respect in mind

Don’t let it bother you. It has become all to common on the internet for some folks to point fingers and lecture others on what in their opinion is the right way to do things.
Chalk it up as one mans opinion and enjoy the memories you and your family made on the trip. I certainly have enjoyed your report and I am glad you had a good time. Keep it up!

Now I am off to the shooting range, tomorrow is the big day, Hoorayyyyyy!

Browningmirage
09-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Alison, please accept my apology for helping turn your thread from a fun day to a load of horse poo.....:redface:

Us amateurs need to sit back and let all the proffessional intelligent people tell us what to do......

p.s. Dustin, I was taught by several top rods that have 20-30 years experience, if not more, on how to handle these fish etc...... maybe you should teach the guides who teach peons like me on what to do.....

I dont disagree with dirty, but do question his bringing it up on this thread...either way, it is here.

Personally, when i saw the pictures of that fish, it seemed to me, waaayyyy to rough. As a fisheries technician, the fish's well-being is of the utmost importance, and i dont really see how this fish is being treated appropriately. In my experience, the only time a fish was noosed was when it was going to be killed...be it halibut for food, or salmon for egg takes.

If dirty really is young, i wonder why is it that people do not listen to young people? I as a mere university student have handled more fish than most people could even imagine (read 40,000 coho, 1000 cottids, steelhead and trout out the ying yang, this year alone... I have been doing it for 8 years), and actually do have a better idea than most people what constitutes proper fish handling. I have encountered much resistance to my on the job, hands on experience...and the question i have is why...why dont people listen to valid complaints

Leaseman
09-09-2008, 03:36 PM
No one (at least me!) is questioning Dirty's age.... It is more the way it comes across here (and other post I have read)..... Dirty and I have continued to discuss this through pms and have a good understanding of each other (I think he likes me now:smile:)....

I never have a problem learning off any aged person, just dont come accross as holier than thou! (no reflection to Dirty)

So enough of this.... time to go lasso a few Dinos...w ho wants to come!!!

abbyfireguy
09-14-2008, 09:48 AM
I have been fishing for sturgeon on the Fraser for 10 years. Guided the past 5 years and really enjoy getting out on the water for any reason.
I personally don't noose the fish and never drag large fish into the boat. Thats what beaches are for..
There is however times when noosing is ok in my opinion,just not for dragging the fish or actively restraining a fighting sturgeon.
Dirty, you must me careful when you hold Mr. Layne up on a pedestal as he is not the only expert or experienced sturgeon handler out there.
DFO uses soft,limp ropes to hold quiet sturgeon when tagging them and they do it very gentley with no efect on the sleeping giants.
The trick is to work quickly, have your equipment and cameras ready and get the people in the water for pictures fast and smooth,then release the beast immediately without waiting for him to go nuts trying to escape.
Its all about having fun and not injuring the object of our recreation.
Allison,thanks for sharing and continue having fun on the river with the family,thats great.
Thanks a lot.

mountainman
09-14-2008, 10:02 AM
No one (at least me!) is questioning Dirty's age.... It is more the way it comes across here (and other post I have read)..... Dirty and I have continued to discuss this through pms and have a good understanding of each other (I think he likes me now:smile:)....

I never have a problem learning off any aged person, just dont come accross as holier than thou! (no reflection to Dirty)

So enough of this.... time to go lasso a few Dinos...w ho wants to come!!!
I'm with you buddy!!
Just a quick question though, I never did see a picture of you in there, did Nick sneak the boat out for a day with the Ladies???? :wink::biggrin::cool:
Maybe

newhunterette
09-14-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm with you buddy!!
Just a quick question though, I never did see a picture of you in there, did Nick sneak the boat out for a day with the Ladies???? :wink::biggrin::cool:
Maybe

Mike never lets me share his photo unless he is in the background - out of respect for his wishes I don't post them but for a small fee I can be bribed lol

He is a "heard and not seen" kind of guy lol

Leaseman
09-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Ya' Joe, I keep in the back ground so all these thread bashers dont know who I really am....:tongue:... might hurt my public image if they did realize who I am......:shock:

Funny thing is, as AFG implied... go look at most peoples pics, including guides pics and you see the tail rope..... It is a knowledge thing... I have done it for quite a long time with full respect of the fish.... goes to show you why you never see any pics of MY fish or GAME here.... anything I wish to share with friends, I send them e-mails, that way I don't have to put up with the "greater than thou" comments from the peanut gallery!

Another word for you, the pic of the old yellow glass boat.... it was the boat that my best friend and I shared when we started fishing sturgeon, lots of people know that boat and if they saw us on the river, lots would usually fish by or near us as we were known for catching fish and helping others.... sounds like what Steve does for others and the bs he has to put up from some others.....

I think that is it ffom me about this. I will continue not posting pics here on our catches... If I happen to take others from here out, I will make sure the only pics they get is the ones where they are cuddling and kissing the fish.....:shock::tongue::smile:

mountainman
09-15-2008, 08:31 AM
I know how you handle fish, caught my biggest with you :smile: I could tell who was in the other boat and I have seen the ropes on just about every fish pic out there.
How does everyone get the big ones to shore if they don't?

Please don't stop posting pics or even better e-mail them to me so I can chastise you in private :tongue::razz:

Leaseman
09-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Deal Joe.... send me a pm... I lost you e-mail and I will send you lots of pics to drew over..... had another good day on Saturday too!!

fishnfvr
09-16-2008, 06:38 AM
I know how you handle fish, caught my biggest with you :smile: I could tell who was in the other boat and I have seen the ropes on just about every fish pic out there.
How does everyone get the big ones to shore if they don't?

Please don't stop posting pics or even better e-mail them to me so I can chastise you in private :tongue::razz:

With the hook still in his mouth, and drive the boat really really slowly. You should NOT pull the fish backwards.

mountainman
09-16-2008, 06:46 AM
With the hook still in his mouth, and drive the boat really really slowly. You should NOT pull the fish backwards.

That makes sense to me actually. I am no biologist etc but that would keep the water from going through the gills the wrong way and possibly into the stomach. Not sure if that is right or not :confused: but sounds right.

newhunterette
09-16-2008, 01:30 PM
okay seeing my happy day post turned into a big stink hole in regards to the handling of sturgeon I am going to add a few things because it was my thread to share and therefore I think I have a right to state my opinion on some of the issues brought up.

I have been sturgeon fishing for a few years - always with a very popular guide service (not mentioning their names because against HBC guidelines as it would be advertising) - 2 times at a very expensive cost to me I never got into any sturgeon - unlucky yes but had a blast

Since my encounters with this guide company, we have become good friends with the owner as one of his guides is a very old friend of ours that Peter fishes with regularly. I have not been on a boat fishing with this friend yet but he has been out countless times with Peter, his employess on company trips, as well as many of our hunting/fishing circle of friends and has been successful - I have seen through photos that Peter has brought home how sturgeon are handled especially the larger ones - I can not post these as I have been asked not to by the guide company and again it would be advertising as their boats are well known on the river, however my point in the pictures I see a head cradle with four ropes attached that the fish is put into to safely guide the fish to beach for photos as well as on the boat you can see a long cradle in which they put fish in to tag them for fisheries. This cradle is also used to safe handle the fish

-I have photos also of tail noosing the fish and was told by the guide of another company I was with that this rope is a special fibre used strictly for the purpose of handling large sturgeon to safely bring them to beach for photos, it is so they do not get injured with thrashing as usually someone will be holding the head as you move forward in your boat and this works in a way of cradling without the cradle - also mentioned it isn't a preferred method but a safe method as many fishermen can not afford to purchase the head cradle and body cradles so they do the next best they can as ethical sport fishermen/women always have the fish's safety first before anything else

- now my very first time out one Mike(leaseman)'s boat, I made mention that on all the trips out on my own boat with Peter I still have never caught a sturgeon and low and behold I did with Mike. To make mention Mike had just recently had abdominal surgery and was still recovering but after I fought that fish and got it to the boat, he was right there to be first in getting it in the boat for me so I could have my first picture ever with it and all through it he said we have to be fast so we can get him back to the water (no noose was used) - he taught me how to use the equipment as he knew I had purchased my own sturgeon gear and had yet a chance to try it, and he coached me in how to fight the fish and he coached me how to handle it ( okay yes I had to give it a kiss on the snout and hug it to me as it was bigger than me) and how to release it.

- I know Mike has this special fibre rope just in case the fish is too much for him to lift to the boat for people and he does his very best when he has to use the "tail noose" method that the fish is safe from any harm and the fish is always his first priority - I have seen the guides on the river give him a thumbs up on the rivers - I would never put myself in the hands of a non- professional, non-ethical person to guide me through learning a sport I have come to enjoy

- now the photo where people were concerned I understand how it could come across as the fish being in danger (wishing I had a video option on my camera as it would have made things look as it really was) when the fisherman put the tail noose on he and his partner on the boat made all the right safety checks that I have seen through the times I have fished and they did try to take the fish to beach for photos but that day and area so many boats were on the river and it would have been more harm to the fish to continue - I watched how the fish was brought in from the back of the boat and I was concerned at first as well but I saw the care that was used to cradle this fish and the pics were taken as quick as possible to take the stress off the fish - again photos are hard to take quickly so the ones I shared make things look perhaps not so good for the fish ( I should have put my camera on continuous shots)

- I respect everyone's opinions on this and have looked into things further for my own personal use and need to know - I did not post my photos of the day to bring people at odds but do hope that from it all we have all taken a knew knowledge of fish safety as this is the key :) and for me now when Peter and I take our boat on the river I can show him I have learned some very very good lessons in his absence.

thanks for reading
Alison

mountainman
09-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Thank you Alison.

I learned a couple things from your post that I would not have know if you had not posted that. Even if you are just a girl :twisted::biggrin::-D
I want to know everything just so I can be a know it all one day lol. :roll:8)
Mike is very good when it comes to sturgeon and one heck of a teacher (but I still have to teach him how to hunt Alberta Elk with Nick :cool::biggrin: my treat) but even little women like you can teach us big men a thing or two some times :eek::smile::wink:

Leaseman
09-17-2008, 08:14 AM
You are so right Joe... Alison is way more than just a pretty face....;-) She can handle the big sturgeon as good as most guys that I have had out!!!

Can't wait for he hubby to get home so the Glinnum/Campbell sturgeon derby can get back under way!!!

abbyfireguy
09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
If Allison wouldn't pack such nice meals for her hubby,he would be home way quicker...
Beans and weiners, nothing else from now on...:cool::lol:

srupp
09-19-2008, 09:35 AM
HEY HEY HEY lets NOT be messing with KD and wieners and beans..:mad: that my friend got me through MANY a nites dinner while @ University..and later on starting out my carreer with 5 days till payday and no $$$$$...good old Tube steak and beans and KD...think Ill have some tonite...:eek:

cHEers

Steven :lol: