PDA

View Full Version : Taking new guys hunting?

MichelD
09-07-2008, 08:21 AM
My neighbour's son asked me yesterday if I'd take him and a friend hunting.

They are very fit outdoor enthusiasts in their 30s. Your classic MEC clad urban hiker/kayakers who have sen the light.

The neighbour is 67 and used to hunt regularly for meat on the Charlottes. I talked him into renewing his hunting licence for the first time in 20 years last year.

So if I agree, this looks like it would be a major expedition, we'd set up camp somewhere and I guess the other licenced hunter and I would each take the other out for the actual hunting part.

My problem is that I don't like hunting with others. Hanging out at camp is okay, but in the hills I want to be alone.

Anyway, I'll do it if I can make time in October, but I was casting around for somewhere I've always wanted to go that I haven't been to yet, but would have a fair chance of at least a deer sighting and hopefully a buck of any kind.

The one guy who asked me has been on one deer kill with a friend, but he said they were really quite clueless in the gutting and skinning department so they want to see it done right.

Anyway, I'm wondering where to take them. I'd like to find a spot where there is lots of room for two parties of two so we could go in opposite directions on foot and get hunting. I've really got an itch to get into the Camelsfoot Range, but I don't know whether to access it from the West or East. There's always Pemberton, but that gets crowded, and there's Princeton too.

Maybe somewhere in Region 5? Loon lake, Bonaparte? I don't know region 5 very much. Somewhere with lots of walk-in access is what I'm looking for.

There would be probably be four of us crammed into a Land Cruiser.

ruger#1
09-07-2008, 08:26 AM
upper hat creek is a nice area. whitetails and mulies, also moose and bighorns, lots of bears and grouse.

Deadshot
09-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Suck it up for at least one weekend. Just make it clear that it's only ONE weekend. I know it's all precious time, but if no one took the time for us as begginers, where would WE be!
Ideally, any buck season is good. Maybe take some radios, so that when something does go down you can all meet up for an 'after kill' demo.
Just some thoughts.

Elkhound
09-07-2008, 02:50 PM
hey good on ya Michel. Hope you are rewarded with a monster....lol

johnes50
09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Taking your neighbors adult son and friend hunting is a double edged sword.

It's always great to have new people getting into hunting. But, for them to ask you to take them is something you might want to think about. It might turn out great and you'll have some new hunting partners for life or it may not turn out so great and you and your neighbors may not like hunting together or each other much afterwards.

If your neighbor and son and sons friend have the same moral character as you, if they respect the way and style you hunt, if they respect your advice, if they're not going to just be tourists on a free guided hunt, if they're not going to try and scoop all your favorite hunting spots, well then it might be OK.

I would not tell them all my favorite spots, and like you suggested, would go to a new hunting area and all of you can learn about it together.

I could be wrong, I have been before, but I've also been bitten a few times by friends who just told their sons who just told a friend who just told another friend.....

Avalanche123
09-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Well we all had to (and some still have to) start somewhere. Good on you for taking them out. One weekend won't be so bad.