PDA

View Full Version : Day 6 - geting tired..

rocksteady
09-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Went back to the saddle this morning.

Had a bull bugling just after 6:00 down in the creek draw/meadow, but for some reason they went all the way to the South end of the meadow and headed to the East, not West. This is very unusual....

So I snuck along the ridge on the West side heading south, bumped a spike bull in the timber (about 80 yards or so)...He was not scared, he just sort of walked away over the ridge. Think there was a few more with him, on the far side of the ridge, cause 1 elk can't make all that racket by himself....

Came home and had a couple decent naps on the couch, watching tv....These early morning starts are catching up to me...

3kills
09-06-2008, 05:48 PM
i will trade u go to work for me and i will go hunting for u LOL...hopefully u put an elk down soon u are for sure being persistant enough

brotherjack
09-06-2008, 08:02 PM
You're still doing better than me - days 6, elk sightings, 0.

:(

Kody94
09-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Rocksteady....keep up the good work man! I wish I was out there too.

brotherjack....you really need a better elk patch. I haven't gone looking for elk, but have seen over a hundred from pavement the last three days. Fort Steele to Bull river, Kikomun creek, Newgate road...of those only the Newgate road is devoid of decent cell coverage.

Cheers,
4ster

brotherjack
09-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I was thinking that tomorrow AM I'd just take a drive down towards Newgate through the FSR's and see what I see from the road. If I spot some elk in the open on a drive-by, maybe I can guestimate which way they're going and sneek into the bush and wait for em to walk by or sumpthing. I dunno, my hopes for getting an elk with my bow are reading about 0.00001 right about now (and my hopes of getting a six point come rifle season are zero).

Side note - it's not just one spot - I've hunted 5 different spots so far. It is really bizarre to - all these are places I'm used to seeing elk regularly (like, every day I used to see elk most of these places - my problem used to be I just couldn't get a shot opportunity to line up), and now there are just none there. Zero, zip, nada, no crunch crunch in the bush, no buggle, no chirp, just dead and devoid of elk. I've even got elk on the trail-cam from mid-august time-frame on these trails, and now, none.

Oh well... it is what it is.

Avalanche123
09-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Keep plugging away BrotherJack.....you'll connect!

Best of luck.

Kody94
09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
brotherjack....this will definitely come together for you eventually, and think of how sweet those elk burgers and steaks will taste! I know how you feel - I pounded the bush in the Elk Valley and Flathead for three years before it happened for me...then it was like a tidal wave of elk. One of those deals where you flip a coin 10x and only get tails, then 10 more timesa and only get heads!

hunter1947
09-07-2008, 03:03 AM
Good luck today Mike ,maybe today will be that day you connect ??.

rocksteady
09-07-2008, 03:19 AM
Sure hope so, out the door in a couple minutes, to try honey hole #3....Full of pee and vinegar this morning...naps and a good nights sleep were just what I needed...:razz::razz:

Little Hawk
09-07-2008, 08:00 AM
The 'Pendulum of Good Fortune' is swinging your way.

Please keep us posted!

Good Luck.

Terry

Nalidixic
09-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Sure hope so, out the door in a couple minutes, to try honey hole #3....Full of pee and vinegar this morning...naps and a good nights sleep were just what I needed...:razz::razz:

Hmmm... 10AM and still not home.. Could mean he got his elk??? Thats 7 hours since he left.

Nalid