09-06-2008, 02:56 PM
-----------deleted posts ---- ------

Jelvis
09-07-2008, 11:22 AM
----------------------------

tufferthandug
09-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Hey Jelvis,

You should post up some pics of the big bucks you've shot in the past! Forget the sheep hunting.

Jelvis
09-07-2008, 06:16 PM
gone----------------------

Avalanche123
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Hmm sounds like a worhthwhile trip to head to your neck of the woods their Jelvis.

Jelvis
09-07-2008, 07:53 PM
---deleted---thru-out

slyfox
09-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Hunted that area last year lots of game in the area going up in nov for whitetails.

Jelvis
09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
--------------------------

Jelvis
01-10-2009, 03:32 PM
--------------------

Ddog
01-10-2009, 04:21 PM
you are sadly mistaken by this post if you think what this guy is saying rings close to any truths.
Jelvis..why do you post stuff like this?, it kinda makes me laugh at what a joke it actually is.
especially if there are rookie hunters out there that read this and think for a second it might be true. a bunch of hooey from the hooey expert himself

Jelvis
01-10-2009, 04:34 PM
------------------------

Ddog
01-10-2009, 04:55 PM
no no no Jelvis...i have no doubts you can do it, i have doubts whether its some of the best sheep hunting, there are far more productive spots than this, sure there are some real nice mulies in those areas, but then again where in BC havent got nice mulies?
I cant do it,, bad heart wont let me do it, but i have lots of friends that do sheep hunt and out of around 20 guys i know of 1 legal ram taken in the last year personally, and several others that i have heard of, but being an open area the pressure is way to great nowadays.

i know you can do the hike Jel, i just think maybe you should think of a different area.

Jelvis
01-10-2009, 05:04 PM
------------------

Stone Sheep Steve
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
I remember seeing the sheep harvest stats on the E Koots one time and noted that 4-01 was pretty darn low. Some of the best sheep hunting in the province???:???:

SSS

Kody94
01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
McGillivray/Corbin is about the longest route possible to get to the Wigwam, from anywhere.

Ddog
01-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Jel, its a nice thought to be able to harvest a ram as easy as a deer , but theres no-way on this earth that it is an easy hike, in or out, light hike..no-way..
like SSS said the harvest numbers are real low here, there is a general open season for a reason and it isnt because there is a lot of sheep.
its true though, you can drive way up, but thats not even close to where the sheep are. after your big drive there is one major big hike.

GoatGuy
01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Ddog-joke? You don't think i could do it. That's what I was hoping to conquer, now I have serious doubts.
Why? Why could'nt someone at my age still maybe hike up there to the sheep or maybe a guy has to have horses and all kinds of modern day equipment to even get in there for a shot.
Ddog I'm guessing you tried it and saw it was an almost impossible task for an oldtimer. I mean where does a guy start. What leh for the best chance by just hiking in? That sort of thing. Oldtimer's might need to have a hunting partner that is a little younger and stronger.
It's a huge amount of time and effort including the planning alone.
Jel--maybe it's too much for an oldtimer @ 60 big ones.

Give 'er a shot Jelly - you aren't going to shoot one if you aren't out there, right?

GoatGuy
01-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Mu 4-1
Flathead-
Heavily hunted but some of the best sheep hunting in southern B.C.
MU 4-1 reached from-Hwy 3 via- McGillivray-Corbin roads, Coal Creek road from Fernie and the Lodgepole Creek road from Morrissey, 13 km west of Fernie. These roads interconnect with the Wigwam River system in MU 4-2.
Mu 4-2
Wigwam River
Access as above, but reached also from Elko over Rocky ridge road, some access from Hwy 93 south of Elko.
MU 4-21
Skookumchuck East
MU 4-23
Elkford
MU 4-24
Whiteswan-White River
From Whiteswan---A few km south of Canal Flats.
MU 4-25
Upper Kootenay River
MU 4-35
Columbia East
Beaverfoot River Road.
Some mu's to glass and observe sheep go high up along the high rocky country. This is for those who want to see country where sheep are found and also when your there you can see numerous other game species to hunt as well.
( see regulations for hunting in these and other mu's)
This is especially for beginners, like myself. Beginners
Some where to start from to look for sheep-no experienced
sheep hunters need to read only beginners for this stuff.
Jel-only a starting point for reference for us rooky's -->

Jelly, you're giving away alllllll the secret spots......................

eastkoot
01-10-2009, 06:43 PM
How old is this Kootenay ram Jelly???
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/P1030006.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/P1030004.jpg

SteadyGirl
01-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Can I try or do I have to wait?:lol:

Kody94
01-10-2009, 07:56 PM

Thats the stuff dreams are made of.....

mark4
01-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Those areas mentioned are no secret and get a lot of hunters. Go hunt there and you will see a lot of sheep camps lol.

reddog888
01-11-2009, 11:06 AM
So how old? 12??

kennyj
01-11-2009, 11:09 AM
My guess is 12.5.
kenny

Jelvis
01-11-2009, 02:55 PM
-----------------------

budismyhorse
01-11-2009, 03:29 PM
you were at willow valley as well EastKoot?? Those rams had some funny looking eyes eh?

I overheard the taxi say this ram just cracked 200!

looks like 9 on the horn and is likely a 10.5 year old ram

eastkoot
01-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Yep, thats my guess, some nice animals and antler/horns displayed.. Got more pics but nothing does justice to the ACTUAL size of some of them...The elk were pretty awesome
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/P1030011.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/P1030009.jpg

Rackmastr
01-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey!! I can see my elk in that second pic!!!!

Some huge elk at Willow Valley yesterday....

The two sheep that Ben had mounted were 202" and 194".....

Jelvis
01-11-2009, 07:05 PM
--------------

kebes
01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Looks like 12 to me, but I'm no sheep expert. My dad was over by invermere last spring and brought back some pictures of a small group of rams off the highway. None of them looked like they were full curl though. One of the gentlemen he talked to said he gets his ram most years....I believe in 4-25.

budismyhorse
01-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Yah, those Alberta elk were something to see! I gather most came from those Waterton Provincial Park LEHs. This year they got the right east wind (i think that is the one) and the big boys came out of the hills.

373 win it? I left early.

eastkoot
01-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Yep, 373 was the winner although there were a few there that I would have JUDGED larger and shot before the 373 bull !!

The 'Hummer'
01-11-2009, 08:12 PM
you are sadly mistaken by this post if you think what this guy is saying rings close to any truths.
Jelvis..why do you post stuff like this?, it kinda makes me laugh at what a joke it actually is.
especially if there are rookie hunters out there that read this and think for a second it might be true. a bunch of hooey from the hooey expert himself

:lol::lol:It's heart warming to 'see' that some people can 'see' through the 'Jel Fog' of B.S..;-):biggrin:

Stone Sheep Steve
01-11-2009, 08:27 PM

So is this ram from this thread???

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16200&page=2

SSS

358mag
01-11-2009, 08:32 PM
gut pile hunters !!!!!!

quadrakid
01-11-2009, 09:44 PM
it,s never too late jel,if you want to be a sheephunter. i remember seeing a pic of a guy in the outdoor edge magazine who was into double figures for
elk and he didn,t start hunting them till he was in his seventies.

Jelvis
01-11-2009, 10:47 PM
-------------------

01-12-2009, 02:01 AM
I remember seeing the sheep harvest stats on the E Koots one time and noted that 4-01 was pretty darn low. Some of the best sheep hunting in the province???:???:

SSS

Here are some interesting facts I just looked up. Jellman you better do more homework before you head east.

SSS is correct, only 4% of the EK sheep harvest comes from 4-01

Of the combined harvest in 4-01 and 4-02, 31% is by residents and 69% is by non-residents.

There is one particular MU in the EK that accounts for over 35% of the total sheep harvest and only 20% of the harvest in that MU is by non-residents. This is the place to go Jellramhunter, figure it out man...

The second best MU has 24% of the total harvest and only 17% of that harvest is by non-residents.

The third best MU has 19% of the total harvest with 36% taken by non-residents, but there are more than twice as many sheep killed on the highway then are killed by hunters in that MU.

That means there are only 3 MUs to consider, 86% of the total EK sheep harvest comes from these three MUs. The rest is up to you dude, this is my one and only tip.

(Harvest stats from 5 year period between 2003 and 2007)

hunter1947
01-12-2009, 05:55 AM
Ddog-joke? You don't think i could do it. That's what I was hoping to conquer, now I have serious doubts.
Why? Why could'nt someone at my age still maybe hike up there to the sheep or maybe a guy has to have horses and all kinds of modern day equipment to even get in there for a shot.
Ddog I'm guessing you tried it and saw it was an almost impossible task for an oldtimer. I mean where does a guy start. What leh for the best chance by just hiking in? That sort of thing. Oldtimer's might need to have a hunting partner that is a little younger and stronger.
It's a huge amount of time and effort including the planning alone.
Jel--maybe it's too much for an oldtimer @ 60 big ones.

Hey Jel you just have to use your head like I did this year ,you get a young strong buck to do the hard work caring a bigger percentage of the pack ,you know what they say you don't get older by getting stupider ,LOLhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

bayou
01-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Here are some interesting facts I just looked up. Jellman you better do more homework before you head east.

SSS is correct, only 4% of the EK sheep harvest comes from 4-01

Of the combined harvest in 4-01 and 4-02, 31% is by residents and 69% is by non-residents.

There is one particular MU in the EK that accounts for over 35% of the total sheep harvest and only 20% of the harvest in that MU is by non-residents. This is the place to go Jellramhunter, figure it out man...

The second best MU has 24% of the total harvest and only 17% of that harvest is by non-residents.

The third best MU has 19% of the total harvest with 36% taken by non-residents, but there are more than twice as many sheep killed on the highway then are killed by hunters in that MU.

That means there are only 3 MUs to consider, 86% of the total EK sheep harvest comes from these three MUs. The rest is up to you dude, this is my one and only tip.

(Harvest stats from 5 year period between 2003 and 2007)
Thats kinda like what I said before to much pressure in a couple areas the harvest isnt spread out enough need to go on LEH to control the harvest better.

01-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Thats kinda like what I said before to much pressure in a couple areas the harvest isnt spread out enough need to go on LEH to control the harvest better.

Althought there are 8 MUs that have open sheep seasons, it just happens that the three MUs mentioned have 85% of the sheep population, that's why the harvest is from those MUs and it still would be even under LEH

If there's not a conservation concern in those 3 MUs, and I don't think there is, I would not think LEH is necessary, the full curl regulation is a fail-safe regulation, an over-harvest cannot occur. LEH would serve no purpose but it would reduce overall participation. LEH should only be used if the Annual Allowable Harvest is being exceeded.

Even under GOS residents are not harvesting their allocated share of the AAH, LEH would only aggravate that problem. There are many areas in the three mentioned MUs that don't see much sheep hunting pressure due to access closures. Maybe removing those motorized closures would serve to distribute the hunting pressure just as well as LEH?

Moosenose
01-12-2009, 07:32 AM
Imagine a 60 year old rookie sheep hunter. Is it too late to teach an old hunting dog new hunting tricks? Hiking high up the dangerously narrow rocky ridges and dodging the grizzly along well worn game trails leading up the valley.
I think on a easier hunt first so which area is the easiest to hunt in 4, that's the first question to be answered.
Simpler slopes to climb and easier ones at first.
Jel-over 60 years young club. I'll get some info.

Never to late to teach jellydog new tricks.
One of my buddies father is 75 and he still comes with us. He is in good shape which is important (especially up there where the air is thin). 10,000 feet elevation has half the air density of sea level.
Get as high as you can with a pickup or quad and hike in from there.
Take a spotting scope and good pair of feild glasses.
Good luck in the high country.

Jelvis
01-12-2009, 08:05 AM
--------------------

01-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm starting to get the picture.
Moosenose, 75 year old you know that hunts sheep I feel much better now.
10,000 ft the air is thin. I like that driven up as far as you can. scopes and bino's in the high country
Hey your making hunting sound like fun thanks nose.
Jelly-luck in the high country.

10,000 ft is too high, not necessary to go that high.

budismyhorse
01-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Maybe removing those motorized closures would serve to distribute the hunting pressure just as well as LEH?

Blasphamy!:wink:

Maybe if more sheep hunters traded in that window mount for a tent, they might just find a few more rams in their spotting scope.....and a better story to tell friends in the end!:-P

not sure we should encourage an "easier" sheep hunting experience.

as well, the bands that live in the road closed areas, that I can think of mind you, always move out to winter and normally are cropped off by the "trunters" as they move to the winter range. It is not like these rams that summer in the closures are all agey old monarchs just out of reach of the truck sheep hunters.

Don't get me wrong, I have done a bit of trunting for sheep, I just don't think we should make more opportunity than already exists.Especially when if someone really wanted to, they could go into those spots and have a heck of a hunt. cheers!!

40inchtwister
01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Blasphamy!:wink:

Maybe if more sheep hunters traded in that window mount for a tent, they might just find a few more rams in their spotting scope.....and a better story to tell friends in the end!:-P

not sure we should encourage an "easier" sheep hunting experience.

as well, the bands that live in the road closed areas, that I can think of mind you, always move out to winter and normally are cropped off by the "trunters" as they move to the winter range. It is not like these rams that summer in the closures are all agey old monarchs just out of reach of the truck sheep hunters.

Don't get me wrong, I have done a bit of trunting for sheep, I just don't think we should make more opportunity than already exists.Especially when if someone really wanted to, they could go into those spots and have a heck of a hunt. cheers!!

There is nothing better then doing a bit of research hiking up and finding sheep......

I was green to hunting sheep in alberta so i did some research and got a few hints from some locals and me and a couple buddies hunted the area and had great success ..... sure we glassed a bit of the range from the "window mount" but didnt see anything but a day later when we were up top and there sheep everywhere .. it was the best feeling ever .... and not a soul around for opening day.....

GoatGuy
01-12-2009, 10:21 AM
The sheep harvest was always targeted in the EK; that's definitely a function of access.

Want hunters spread out, give them an incentive to go to another area.

Who cares if somebody shoots one from the road? That always happens and the only way that happens is if you're hunting from the road.:razz:

There are lots of sheep right now and lots of rams. No problems with over-harvest.

Resident sheep hunters are down about 50% in the last 15 years in Region 4. There's nobody out there. Put 10 or 20 kms under your feet and you will not find another hunter. The only people you'll run into are guides and clients.

Talk about needs of the species, talk about conservation. Then deal with the allocation policy. Residents need to put more sheep on the ground if they want to continue with the same AAH in 2012 - it's that simple. There's a couple ways to do this: reduce the horn restriction, let people shoot rams on the winter range or open up some access. What's the best of the worst?

Either we open up some of those spots and let guys harvest some rams or the rest of us are going to have to slug a ram every year. I like sheep meat, but I'd rather let somebody else go for the 'once in a lifetime hunt' hike a couple kms instead of several and shoot their ram. But hey that's just me.

budismyhorse
01-12-2009, 10:38 AM
The sheep harvest was always targeted in the EK; that's definitely a function of access.

Want hunters spread out, give them an incentive to go to another area.

Who cares if somebody shoots one from the road? No one shoots them from the road, they spot from the road....but you are right, who cares? not me.....but that should not be the squeaky wheel that gets grease IMHO....maybe I'm old school. That always happens and the only way that happens is if you're hunting from the road.:razz:

There are lots of sheep right now and lots of rams. No problems with over-harvest.

Resident sheep hunters are down about 50% in the last 15 years in Region 4. There's nobody out there. Put 10 or 20 kms under your feet and you will not find another hunter. The only people you'll run into are guides and clients.

Talk about needs of the species, talk about conservation. Then deal with the allocation policy. Residents need to put more sheep on the ground if they want to continue with the same AAH in 2012 - it's that simple. There's a couple ways to do this: reduce the horn restriction, let people shoot rams on the winter range or open up some access. What's the best of the worst?

Either we open up some of those spots and let guys harvest some rams or the rest of us are going to have to slug a ram every year. I like sheep meat, but I'd rather let somebody else go for the 'once in a lifetime hunt' hike a couple kms instead of several and shoot their ram. But hey that's just me.

seriously GG??

Firstly, you are never going to increase the number of sheep hunters. That is a demographics issue. The sideways hat wearing kids of today can't put the ipod down long enough to even think about sheep hunting....for the most part.

The backwards hat generation (like myself) aren't interested much either.
Trying to raise the number of sheep hunters purchasing tags would be an exercise in futility.

But forget all that. I would like to to hear what is going to happen in 2012 if the residents don't harvest their portion....I am for sure ignorant to those implications...

GoatGuy
01-12-2009, 10:46 AM
seriously GG??

Firstly, you are never going to increase the number of sheep hunters. That is a demographics issue. The sideways hat wearing kids of today can't put the ipod down long enough to even think about sheep hunting....for the most part.

The backwards hat generation (like myself) aren't interested much either.
Raising the number of sheep hunters purchasing tags would be an exercise in futility.

But forget all that. I would like to to hear what is going to happen in 2012 if the residents don't harvest their portion....I am for sure ignorant to those implications...

Serious as a heart attack. You say futility, I say challenge. It's one of the few things that a person actually has control over and that everybody and their dog doesn't have to be consulted on. Just by opening up some access I think we'll see a small increase in participation.

It's a use it or lose it resource now. Residents could lose part of their allocated harvest if the don't meet the current allocated harvest, which is the way things are going right now. The 'unused' part goes to non-residents in 2012 making the resident share smaller. If the new AAH is reduced and residents are over-achieving that could result in more regulations put on sheep hunting. It really leaves us no room for more sheep hunters.

BCrams
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
We talk about 'changes' to enhance resident participation and potential increased harvest success. When will this happen? (or will it happen at all?)

I would rather see changes implemented and residents allowed a 5 year period in order to meet the allocation average rather than see, for example, road closures lifted only 1 or 2 seasons prior to 2012. Or another example previously mentioned for Reg. 6 is to have the sheep season open 2 weeks early. In a use it or lose it scenario, would it not be prudent to allow residents a period of time to adjust to the new opportunity and then be given X years to have the opportunity to meet the aah?

reddog888
01-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I have to say I cant offer much to this thread. But one point on here about getting more sheep hunters/more intrest in sheep ect. I can comment on.

There are a lot of my aged (20-28 years old, me included) hunters out there that would love to become sheep hunters. But dont know where to start or how to and try to hook up with seasoned sheep hunters but we all know how that works. Sheep hunters are tight lipped and have the additude of "why am I going to show some punk my sheep spots? learn it they way I had to. the hard way"

I think there needs to be some change in the old school ways. And start taking out some younger guys out and help us learn. You get the new generation of hunters into sheep and youll start to see us getting more involved with these issues and conservation. How many 20 year olds do you see on the exsecutive of conservation groups like BCWF or WSSOBC or even at the fundraisers? Next to none.

just my two cents......

budismyhorse
01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Serious as a heart attack. You say futility, I say challenge. It's one of the few things that a person actually has control over and that everybody and their dog doesn't have to be consulted on. Just by opening up some access I think we'll see a small increase in participation. I agree, small.....and negligible......all while sacrificing another portion of the already small amount of area where someone can have a true wilderness hunting experience for sheep. Few and far between right now.

It's a use it or lose it resource now. Residents could lose part of their allocated harvest if the don't meet the current allocated harvest, which is the way things are going right now. The 'unused' part goes to non-residents in 2012 making the resident share smaller. If the new AAH is reduced and residents are over-achieving that could result in more regulations put on sheep hunting. It really leaves us no room for more sheep hunters.

I just don't see how the residents could be viewed as over-achieving...ever. If a low harvest in the next few years results in a low allocation, how could we all of the sudden start hammering more rams and be viewed as over-achieving? that doesn't make sense. If anything, the guides would get a larger allocation.....but I'm sure it wouldn't be just a blanket increase, it would be done MU by MU....and would likely be a minimal impact to resident sheep hunters.....especially given that we are talking about 3-4 years down the road, when there are less sheep hunters than now....if allocations are a gate that is supposed to swing both ways, then so be it....

Personally, I'd rather hunt in a region with a few more non-res allocations and still maintain the few areas we get to hunt sheep without trucks and rhinos around every corner.

I just don't buy into the fear mongering just yet GG!

budismyhorse
01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
There are a lot of my aged (20-28 years old) hunters out there that would love to become sheep hunters. But dont know where to start or how to and try to hook up with seasoned sheep hunters but we all know how that works. Sheep hunters are tight lipped and have the additude of "why am I going to show some punk my sheep spots? learn it they way I had to. the hard way"

just my to cents......

ahhh, you remind me of a young fella we hired a few years ago. If I can recall, he sounded exactly like you. I ran into him on the mountain last year, we chatted a bit and it sounds like he has been at it "on his own" ever since he mentioned it. There were several guys in the office that pointed places out to him.....I spent some time with him talking about a few areas. We all made sure he got some inside info from us.

I was excited to see him out there, I think you are right, there may be a couple young guys out there who want to get into it.....but if you really wanted to get into sheep hunting, likely nothing will stop you.

PM me all you want, I'll try and help you out.

Jelvis
01-12-2009, 11:50 AM
----------------------

kebes
01-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Reddog, I agree with you to a point. I know a lot of guys in our age group who love backpacking and hunting....most of them just haven't put the two together yet. When I've mentioned sheep hunting to a few of them they always seem to like the idea but never really follow through with it. I figure it's nice enough just to be up in sheep country, so if I have to learn by trial and error and spend a year or two coming back with nothing it's ok.

bridger
01-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I have to say I cant offer much to this thread. But one point on here about getting more sheep hunters/more intrest in sheep ect. I can comment on.

There are a lot of my aged (20-28 years old, me included) hunters out there that would love to become sheep hunters. But dont know where to start or how to and try to hook up with seasoned sheep hunters but we all know how that works. Sheep hunters are tight lipped and have the additude of "why am I going to show some punk my sheep spots? learn it they way I had to. the hard way"

I think there needs to be some change in the old school ways. And start taking out some younger guys out and help us learn. You get the new generation of hunters into sheep and youll start to see us getting more involved with these issues and conservation. How many 20 year olds do you see on the exsecutive of conservation groups like BCWF or WSSOBC or even at the fundraisers? Next to none.

just my two cents......

your comments have a lot of validity. when i started sheep hunting years ago there were very few resident sheep hunters in 7b and it took me and my long time best friend and hunting partner several years to really get to the point where we could call our selves sheep hunters. in the ensuing years i hosted some sheep hunting clinics for new sheep hunters for the north peace rod and gun club. Perhaps it would be something the bcwf or the wild sheep society could look at organizing. Clinics could be held in three or four cities over the course of a year and are not that difficlut to organize. the ones we held were always sold out. we covered habitat, equipment, hunting tactics, estimating size and age, backpacking and horse packing as well. it was a lot of fun, guys learned a lot and the club made a few bucks

budismyhorse
01-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Sheep hunting takes a pretty significant commitment......

While taking a young hunter seasonal staff member on a job a few years ago, we were chatting about hunting while driving to the site. I asked him, during a break in the convo "so you ever hunt sheep?" and he laughed,
" me a sheep hunter? hell no, I have a life. Doesn't it take...like....a long time to find one of those?"

Jelvis
01-12-2009, 12:31 PM
-----------------------

BCrams
01-12-2009, 12:32 PM
"so you ever hunt sheep?" and he laughed,
" me a sheep hunter? hell no, I have a life. Doesn't it take...like....a long time to find one of those?"

and we are supposed to cater to this kid?

Why not? Perhaps his response would be different if we had more of these:

sheep hunting clinics for new sheep hunters for the north peace rod and gun club. Perhaps it would be something the bcwf or the wild sheep society could look at organizing. Clinics could be held in three or four cities over the course of a year and are not that difficlut to organize. the ones we held were always sold out. we covered habitat, equipment, hunting tactics, estimating size and age, backpacking and horse packing as well. it was a lot of fun, guys learned a lot

budismyhorse
01-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Why not? Perhaps his response would be different if we had more of these:

sheep hunting clinics for new sheep hunters for the north peace rod and gun club. Perhaps it would be something the bcwf or the wild sheep society could look at organizing. Clinics could be held in three or four cities over the course of a year and are not that difficlut to organize. the ones we held were always sold out. we covered habitat, equipment, hunting tactics, estimating size and age, backpacking and horse packing as well. it was a lot of fun, guys learned a lot

True true true! For what it is worth, I actually contacted Tony Russ one year to attempt a show in the koots but it fizzled..... I think those types of things would be well attended.

When compared to the "old school" I am like an open book to young hunters that show an interest. I took a non-sheep hunter stone sheep hunting and he seems hooked now. There are alot of things individuals can do as well to help the situation!

PGK
01-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm 22 and I halfway disagree with reddog.
I'm just going to balls up and do it. Just drive up there and hike up a mountain. Sure, there's more to it than just hiking up a mountain, but you ain't NEVER gonna learn about anything unless you just go DO it.

Jelvis
01-12-2009, 12:53 PM

reddog888
01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for taking my comments seriously. And Im not looking for a hand out either. I think im at a point like many my age and dont know where to go from here. I didnt grow up with a father who hunted. Ive been learning on my own since day one.

Ive been a member of the wssobc since I was 16 (over 10 years now) Have gone to the Dinner here in Kamloops a couple times and went to the Alberta FNAWS dinner 4 times. Ive tried to meet and talk to sheep hunters but always get treated like some punk. Ive read the book and studied maps. But to make the jump to head out in the bush by myself is too much.

Kebes. I have the same problem of having friends saying "sheep hunting sounds fun" but are never there at the end of the day.

budismyhorse
01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Old school--new sheep hunters are of all ages, New Sheep hunters not just younger I'm not getting older, I'm getting better, lol.
I guess your saying you need to be somewhat of an athlete to hunt sheep.

uhhhh, no thats not what I mean, I know many unathletic sheep hunters. Most sheep hunters succeed due to heart and savvy rather than physical strength.

you don't have to get into those basins in record time....you just have to get there.

01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Blasphamy!!!

I'm not suggesting all closures be removed or that we throw everything wide open Jeff. I'm only thinking of maybe two or three that could be moved back a few KMs so foot access is more practical and which just might result in 2 or 3 more sheep being harvested.

To meet the resident allocation we only need to up the harvest by a few sheep, not a whole bunch. There are multiple ways to do this besides modifying access measures. We could move the closing date to Oct 25th in all MUs. We could add on a late 5 day bow-only season between the 25th and 30th, or a early bow-only season from the 1st to the 9th. There are several options.

What will happen in 2012 if resident allocation is not met is that a regulatory review will be triggered which will address the issue and one of the above will probably be implemented, pick you poison! Following that if residents still do not use their allocated share, some resident allocation will be re-assigned to the outfitters.

As well calculating new allocation percentages in 2012 involves mathematical functions called "relative importance" and "degree of utilization", and if we under utilize these factors will effect future allocation percentages. You are correct, this is supposed to be done Mu by Mu.

See "Harvest Allocation Procedure" at this link
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/harvest_alloc/

budismyhorse
01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks so much Andy, as always I appreciate your approach to these issues.

I believe in the recent proposal from the MOE the East Flathead road restriction is being adjusted, no? I also can imagine there are a few that were set in place with "horses" in mind, therefore an argument can be made to pull them back as less and less people use horses these days.

If you want to raise the harvest up a sheep, maybe you can talk to my boss and increase my annual holiday allocation.:smile:

GoatGuy
01-12-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm not suggesting all closures be removed or that we throw everything wide open Jeff. I'm only thinking of maybe two or three that could be moved back a few KMs so foot access is more practical and which just might result in 2 or 3 more sheep being harvested.

To meet the resident allocation we only need to up the harvest by a few sheep, not a whole bunch. There are multiple ways to do this besides modifying access measures. We could move the closing date to Oct 25th in all MUs. We could add on a late 5 day bow-only season between the 25th and 30th, or a early bow-only season from the 1st to the 9th. There are several options.

What will happen in 2012 if resident allocation is not met is that a regulatory review will be triggered which will address the issue and one of the above will probably be implemented, pick you poison! Following that if residents still do not use their allocated share, some resident allocation will be re-assigned to the outfitters.

As well calculating new allocation percentages in 2012 involves mathematical functions called "relative importance" and "degree of utilization", and if we under utilize these factors will effect future allocation percentages. You are correct, this is supposed to be done Mu by Mu.

See "Harvest Allocation Procedure" at this link
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/harvest_alloc/

This says it all.

Moving some of the road closures or getting rid of them isn't going to let guys hunt sheep from their trucks in most of the spots.

It will only let them get closer to sheep country.

01-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I just don't see how the residents could be viewed as over-achieving...ever. If a low harvest in the next few years results in a low allocation, how could we all of the sudden start hammering more rams and be viewed as over-achieving?

The resident sheep harvest varies considerably from year to year in the EK. Between 2003 and 2007 it varied between 15 and 30 rams annually. The average was 24 rams per year over that 5 year period. The current resident allocation target is about 30 rams annually, non-resident allocation target is 15 rams annually. AAH is 45 rams.

I think what GG is getting at is that if the resident target allocation is lowered in 2012 to 24 rams because of past under-utilization, and we continue to shoot 30 rams in some years, or if the five year average happens to exceed more then 24 rams (which it easily could), the outfitters may have a legitimate bitch that residents are over-acheiving their allocation. This could easily happen under the current GOS, the only sure way to prevent it would be to go to LEH, and I would expect that's exactly what the outfitters will demand if that scenario occurs. This would almost surely result in fewer sheep hunters being allowed to participate then we currently have.

Just for general interest here's a historical summary of sheep allocation in Region 4:

* The last negotiated allocation under the old allocation policy was 75/25 in 2002.
*During the 2002 to 2004 and the 2005 to 2007 three year allocation periods the outfitters refused to attend allocation meetings and thus caused the old allocation policy and procedures to fail. Instead they negotiated one on one with MOE with no resident input.
* As a result of the above, the sheep allocation had moved to 59/41 by 2006.
* In 2007 the allocation as calculated by the new allocation procedures was 71/29, but there was also a rule put into effect that there would be a 5 year implementation period during which time allocations could only be reduced by 20% from the status-quo. Also allocation periods were increased from 3 to 5 years.
* Due to the 20% rule the interim allocation percentage for the 2007 to 2011 allocation period is currently pegged at 67/33. If we could fully utilize that allocation prior to 2012 the new allocation would probably calculate out to approximately 70/30 for the following allocation period (2012 to 2016).

Current: Allocation x AAH = .67 x 45 = 30 rams for residents, and .33 x 45 = 15 rams for non-residents.

01-12-2009, 03:54 PM

I believe in the recent proposal from the MOE the East Flathead road restriction is being adjusted, no? I also can imagine there are a few that were set in place with "horses" in mind, therefore an argument can be made to pull them back as less and less people use horses these days.

If you want to raise the harvest up a sheep, maybe you can talk to my boss and increase my annual holiday allocation.:smile:

How about we shrink back the no-hunting zone on the mine properties,,,,,just kiddin'

40inchtwister
01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
In alberta there is a 15 day allowance for residents to hunt before the outfitters are allowed ...... would something like that work??

01-12-2009, 03:59 PM

There are several changes being contemplated under the current access review, I will e-mail you the latest proposals.

budismyhorse
01-12-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't think it would ever be accepted, think of the fights that would occur in the board rooms and in the bush if that idea was ever gone after in the kootenays for Bighorns. I am picturing wranglers with starter pistols walking into G/O territories Sept 9th......

I dont think that idea would fly.....

Jelvis
01-12-2009, 04:13 PM
-------------------------

01-12-2009, 04:17 PM
In alberta there is a 15 day allowance for residents to hunt before the outfitters are allowed ...... would something like that work??

It's a current discussion point in Region 6. It would definitely work,,, but as Bud says.....????

01-12-2009, 04:26 PM
If you open access or let people drive in a few more miles the elk and other animals will be slaughtered the first season of road opening and that would be unfair for elk and other big game animules.
Outfitters ain't going to let that happen in the local arena around the east koot towns. The locals will be hot and don't want those roads opened up after all these years, to the lower mainlanders and Islanders. Just a local thing in all towns and will be adversarial.
Just give me and other newbie sheeper's a well known access point from a high backroad that will help more than long term new ideas on how to fix the east koot hunting for sheep.
Jel--just my $.25 worth, cuz I'm not a local east kooter.lol

There are so many elk and white tails around that it quite possibly wouldn't matter. Besides, I hear the slaughter theory every time a new road is built, an old road is opened up, or a LEH hunt is moved to GOS, or a season date is revised,,,, but the truth is I haven't ever saw it happen to any serious degree withthe dire predicted consequences yet.

Don't hold your breath waiting for anyone to post an access point, maybe some one will PM. Also Jellyroll, your past history is to post everything, I don't think many sheep hunters are anxious to see that happen.

Jelvis
01-12-2009, 08:42 PM
--------------------

bighornbob
01-12-2009, 09:39 PM
My three favorite spots are in no particular order with M.U. and nearest body of water.

4-02 Wigwam Creek
4-22 Bull River
4-23 Elk River

BHB

7 mag
01-12-2009, 10:27 PM
In refrence to your original post, several of the MU's you mention dont have guide outfitters.
I'm not too stuck up, PM me & i will give you a couple starting points, but as with all Sheep hunting, it is mostly WORK, WORK ,WORK!

Jelvis
01-13-2009, 08:22 AM
--------------------

budismyhorse
01-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Alright Jelvis, site here, stare at that mountain, eventually, you will see sheep. hunt them.:tongue:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/For_Jelvis.JPG

bighornbob
01-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Alright Jelvis, site here, stare at that mountain, eventually, you will see sheep. hunt them.:tongue:

Great late season spot!! My uncle shot a ram right in the middle of the road a few years back. Just watch out for No hunting Shooting area in the area.

BHB

40inchtwister
01-13-2009, 10:01 AM
spend some time here .............

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww340/40inchtwister/bigrams.jpg

Jelvis
01-13-2009, 01:23 PM
----------------------

01-13-2009, 01:29 PM
spend some time here .............

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww340/40inchtwister/bigrams.jpg

The city crap fields,,,,,, yup, a great place for trophy rams...! Just stay outta the spray Jelvis or you could get dysentry.

Jelvis
01-13-2009, 01:36 PM
--------------------

budismyhorse
01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Jelvis, so you wanna be a sheep hunter....you gotta think like one.

take that pic I put up for ya, these are the questions you should ask from that one pic.

Hmmm. There is a major river in the pic, which one? powerlines around it, is that a good road? is that the only road? that looks like a mine or something? Is that a dammed up river there? how many dams are around? a mountain and mine near a damned up river??? maybe I'll ask around...

Hmmm, he says to stare at the mountain and therefore they probably move around...what about other spots to look from?....what about the fringe areas?....looks like there are basins on the other side of the mountain, maybe there is a trail? or lots of trails? Maybe I should look in the BC mapbook? BHB said it is good late....where are they early? maybe on the backside? Maybe that ridge is negotiable, if I could get up top, maybe I could look into both sides from above? I wonder if there is an outfitter there? he might have a website....maybe I could poach a few pictures of ram kill locations? Maybe I should go in August and look around? Where are they likely to be in the summer? up high? in the timber? travelling from the timber to the grassy areas during the day? When is the best time of day to look? That is a big mountain, Maybe I should plan on spotting sheep and getting up high to watch them? how? straight up at them? go up a few draws over and then straight across to keep them from getting my wind?

and so on...

BCrams
01-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Another hint:

its only ~10-15 minutes from Cranbrook

01-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Jelvis, so you wanna be a sheep hunter....you gotta think like one.

take that pic I put up for ya, these are the questions you should ask from that one pic.

Hmmm. There is a major river in the pic, which one? powerlines around it, is that a good road? is that the only road? that looks like a mine or something? Is that a dammed up river there? how many dams are around? a mountain and mine near a damned up river??? maybe I'll ask around...

Hmmm, he says to stare at the mountain and therefore they probably move around...what about other spots to look from?....what about the fringe areas?....looks like there are basins on the other side of the mountain, maybe there is a trail? or lots of trails? Maybe I should look in the BC mapbook? BHB said it is good late....where are they early? maybe on the backside? Maybe that ridge is negotiable, if I could get up top, maybe I could look into both sides from above? I wonder if there is an outfitter there? he might have a website....maybe I could poach a few pictures of ram kill locations? Maybe I should go in August and look around? Where are they likely to be in the summer? up high? in the timber? travelling from the timber to the grassy areas during the day? When is the best time of day to look? That is a big mountain, Maybe I should plan on spotting sheep and getting up high to watch them? how? straight up at them? go up a few draws over and then straight across to keep them from getting my wind?

and so on...

Do not discount this Google Earth photo Jelvis, I recognized this site immediately, this is the real deal, you can't get or expect much better info then this on a public site. You better send Bud a PM and a case of beer. And if you post what he tells you "your ass is grass" as far as getting any more info.

budismyhorse
01-13-2009, 04:15 PM
not really great info...just trying to get Jelvis to realize that there is so much more to sheep hunting and you don't have to ask anyone for a place to start. The internet has changed all that.

I enjoy the research part of sheep hunting immensely...and it is something that 40inchtwister elluded to....adds so much to the experience when all the hard work comes into place and you have wild sheep in your glasses.

Kody94
01-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Here's a pic I took on Dec 5, 2008, just BARELY off the map that budismyhorse provided.

Nice young up-and-comer that had love on his mind. He was chasing a couple of ewes.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Dec52008006_small.jpg

I didn't have my camera with me, but I counted over 75 sheep in a group nearby as well, during the "boxing week". Was very pleased at the number of rams in the group.

Cheers,

eastkoot
01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
As sssster and Bud said, easy.. Shoot them from the pub porch where I'm sure you will be comfortable:smile:, they feed in the baseball diamond on occasion!!http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/P1020889.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/P1020891.jpg

01-13-2009, 11:09 PM
not really great info...just trying to get Jelvis to realize that there is so much more to sheep hunting and you don't have to ask anyone for a place to start. The internet has changed all that.

I enjoy the research part of sheep hunting immensely...and it is something that 40inchtwister elluded to....adds so much to the experience when all the hard work comes into place and you have wild sheep in your glasses.

There's sheep there at certain times, what more can one ask for when trolling for sheep hunting info on a public site...???

Rackmastr
01-14-2009, 01:11 AM
EastKoot,

For an Alberta guy that doesnt know the area, where are the wintering pics taken?

I've always wanted to head over that way in the winter and see what the animals were like for photography, etc.

Kinda gets me excited about moving to SE BC and hunting there.....I'm a sheep hunting addict and every time I see those mountains it makes me want to climb and do some exploring!!

Jelvis
01-14-2009, 08:29 AM

Stone Sheep Steve
01-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Rams will start showing up with ewes right at the end of the hunting season(Oct 20 or 25th depending on the area). That Spences ram was with ewes on the last weekend of the season but most of the big guys show up soon thereafter.

Rutt typically occurs during the month of Nov and into December.

Having said that, I took this video of a Cali in early January while out chasing yotes. Saw this ram stick tight to this ewe and lip curl 3 different times.

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/StoneSheep/?action=view&current=Cap0018.flv

SSS

Jelvis
01-14-2009, 01:25 PM
---------------------------

?

kebes
01-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Bud, it's funny that you posted that google earth photo. I was looking a few weeks ago for possible areas to go sheep hunting and found the outfitter from that areas (not sure if it's that specific area...but they're off the river somewhere) I was thinking about possibly doing a pack trip into the backside this summer looking for elk in the basins and maybe glassing a bit for sheep. Had no idea whether it would just be a nice little trip or if I might find something useful.

01-14-2009, 03:08 PM
So rut is closed but pre rut is open. That pre rut activity, does it affect sheep like a mule deer where it takes on a fighting attitude and marking area? Start when?
Ram's are they territorial more than a mule or white or blacktailed deer. In topography and clans, cuz the rams have to breed other sheep from out of their own area, so they must search a bit and migrate to other dna. Or do the ewes travel looking for a ram?
One more for any with a little knowledge on pre rut behaviour on big horns---when does pre rut start to affect a rams daily activity during a gos, hunting in and around Cranbrerry Brook--The Quin--the Mighty Quin-+ Bull.
JellyFishing's good too in the creeks 2. Grizz--watch out, lol.
?

There is really no pre-rut activity that is valuable to a hunter, except to know the migration routes of the rams. I know of several places where you can almost set your watch annually by the ram migration. No pre-season sparring or territorial activities, scent marking or scrape making, etc. They do not search, the rams rut on the same winter ranges each year. They just go there and meet up with the ewe bands. Rutting always occurrs after hunting seasons are closed. Rutting occurs on the winter ranges and seasons are usually timed to end before the rams hit the winter ranges.

There is no deep dark strategies involved with sheep hunting. Just a lot of hard climbing, find a mountain that you are confident holds rams and spot (glass until your eyeballs fall out) and stalk. The most important equipment for a sheep hunter are strong legs, boots, binoculars, spotting scope, and tons of patience to glass.

There is no secret formula.

Jelvis
01-14-2009, 03:10 PM
--------------------

GoatGuy
01-14-2009, 03:23 PM
There is really no pre-rut activity that is valuable to a hunter, except to know the migration routes of the rams. I know of several places where you can almost set your watch annually by the ram migration. No pre-season sparring or territorial activities, scent marking or scrape making, etc. They do not search, the rams rut on the same winter ranges each year. They just go there and meet up with the ewe bands. Rutting always occurrs after hunting seasons are closed. Rutting occurs on the winter ranges and seasons are usually timed to end before the rams hit the winter ranges.

There is no deep dark strategies involved with sheep hunting. Just a lot of hard climbing, find a mountain that you are confident holds rams and spot (glass until your eyeballs fall out) and stalk. The most important equipment for a sheep hunter are strong legs, boots, binoculars, spotting scope, and tons of patience to glass.

There is no secret formula.

I don't know about this - for some reason they seem to become far more visible that last couple of weeks of the season, even before they're moving to winter range. We heard/saw a couple different bands butting heads last year - earliest was Oct 9th? A couple bands also spotted each other and they 'checked' each other out.There are different theories on why and how this happens. Some guys think they're starting to establish that dominance thing.

You're right on the migration thing. In other spots there are trails that you can set your watch by, but that takes a lot of time to get to know and in some spots you could be turned into a popsicle waiting.

The conditions at that time of the year can be serious tough. Dress warm jelly man.

Most of the harvest happens in the last week or two; there's a reason for that.

Jetboater
01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
I killed a nice muely off that hill about 14 years ago... before the mine was that big... used to be an old deatevated road we would hike into the top end... saw my first Ram on that hill in the snow and fog... looked like a friggen ghost....our old bloodhound was just as spooked as we were... the ram followed us down in the fog... lots of good deer used to be on that hill...good whiteys on the other side of the river but it gets hit way.... to hard...

Rackmastr
01-14-2009, 04:09 PM
What are the seasons for sheep in the Kootenays for you guys?

In Alberta we have Aug 25-Oct 31 for all OTC hunting, and then a couple November Special License hunts as well....

01-14-2009, 04:41 PM
What are the seasons for sheep in the Kootenays for you guys?

In Alberta we have Aug 25-Oct 31 for all OTC hunting, and then a couple November Special License hunts as well....

Sept 10th to Oct 25th in most places.
Sept 10th to Oct 20th in two MU's

slyfox
01-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Good sheep info on this post i guess i'll see some new sheep hunters in 4 02 this year.

Jelvis
01-14-2009, 09:21 PM

kebes
01-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey Bud, you wouldn't happen to know if the road going in the backside of that mountain is open...from what I saw in the regs South of the main road along the river is No motor vehicle access but it didn't look like the rest was restricted...but I guess that doesn't really matter if there's a gate somewhere?

Jetboater
01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
HA ... park in canal flats at the home hardware... put the spotting scope on the hood... watch all the young rams and ewes while your waiting for you flat tire to be fixed....
when your done that head to lussier hotsprings ... watch out for the she apes that have more hair than I do heading down to the hotsprings.... go to the last parking spot... pull over ..put the spotting scope on the hood ....look up to the left...watch all the lambs and ewes with ear tags playing in the rocks...

but if you want to find the Rams Jelly ... your gonna have to look a lot harder and a lot higher...

Jelvis
01-15-2009, 08:41 AM

budismyhorse
01-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Hey Bud, you wouldn't happen to know if the road going in the backside of that mountain is open...from what I saw in the regs South of the main road along the river is No motor vehicle access but it didn't look like the rest was restricted...but I guess that doesn't really matter if there's a gate somewhere?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=MOx5S77MJ7o

bighornbob
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
One older guide told me the biggest ram is darker and is up on a high bluff looking down at the other sheepsters.
The King of the castle.
Jetboater says to see the rams, look harder and higher up to see the leader! Good ooooone. Brah.

The rams get used to all the hunters jamming up the hills. A lot have gotten used to this and head into the timber way down below. I know of one spot where all you will glass up top are young rams and ewes and lambs. Look about 400-500 below them in the willows and populars as this is where they have move to when the pressure is on.

BHB

Jetboater
01-15-2009, 09:51 AM
The rams get used to all the hunters jamming up the hills. A lot have gotten used to this and head into the timber way down below. I know of one spot where all you will glass up top are young rams and ewes and lambs. Look about 400-500 below them in the willows and populars as this is where they have move to when the pressure is on.

BHB
dont give it all away ;-);-)

Jelvis
01-15-2009, 12:57 PM
----------------------

01-15-2009, 01:09 PM

Guess that makes it pretty plain.
Cool answer Bud.

Kody94
01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Guess that makes it pretty plain.
Cool answer Bud.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif I agree.

Jelvis
01-15-2009, 02:41 PM

40inchtwister
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
if people were smart they would look for sheep in places that you wouldnt think they are... that is my hint........ id rather be looking at sheep through my spotting scope resting on a rock or my backpack then a window mount .. but thats just me.. the best part of sheep hunting is finding new country.

GoatGuy
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM

BHB
good advice

Jelvis
01-15-2009, 08:03 PM

reddog888
01-15-2009, 08:58 PM

possibly the best post reply of the year and were only half a month in.....

01-15-2009, 10:43 PM
possibly the best post reply of the year and were only half a month in.....

I loved it too.

There must be a post out there someplace we can apply this one to...?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=luKmSLXukaw&feature=related (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=luKmSLXukaw&feature=related)

Kody94
01-15-2009, 10:49 PM
I loved it too.

There must be a post out there someplace we can apply this one to...?
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=luKmSLXukaw&feature=related (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=luKmSLXukaw&feature=related)

Or this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC4Av2aUah8

01-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Or this one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC4Av2aUah8

HaHa, good one.....except we're going to get ourselves banned if we keep this up....!

Kody94
01-15-2009, 11:09 PM
HaHa, good one.....except we're going to get ourselves banned if we keep this up....!

True. In our defence, these have received public radio play. :)

Jelvis
01-16-2009, 08:30 AM
-------------------

GoatGuy
01-16-2009, 08:51 AM
What about the different types of sheep Jelly?

To me there are hunted herds and park/mine herds.

One type is on hunting ground all hunting season, you've just gotta find 'em.

The other you're looking, waiting, watching for them to cross that imaginary line or sneak into that secret spot.

Where do they live?

GG-thewalkersandthetalkersthesittersandthestalkers

Kody94
01-16-2009, 08:58 AM
You won't succeed to lock this thread, cuz the newbie sheep hunter's are on a roll here.
All the fine people who have helped to recruit new hunters for the sheep in the east Koots will post some tiny hints and tricks to help the newbies to see a nice full curler.
So let's hear some great ideas and see the areas by photo's once again, you helper's are surreal.
Jel---we appreciate your wealth of sheep hunting skills.

Jelly,
Keep in mind that there are a number of sheep hunters out here that have put in more than a decade of effort and still haven't taken a full curler bighorn. Mostly because they avoid some of the places GG-thewalkersandthetalkersthesittersandthestalkers refers to above. ;)
4Ster-oh-fer-onbighorns.

budismyhorse
01-16-2009, 09:31 AM
... cuz the newbie sheep hunter's are on a roll here.

Ahhh Jelvis, but you see, you aren't on a roll yet. The ball will start to roll in the bush.

The deafening silence heard by the large majority of sheep hunters on this site should indicate that your likely going to have to get out there, wear out a pair of boots and "then we'll talk". You have more than enough info to go on already, just leave er' at that and get on with your quest for a sheeper's dream come true.

no more photos, I already took mine down because it was keeping me up at night....

BCrams
01-16-2009, 10:18 AM
no more photos, I already took mine down because it was keeping me up at night....

Hence my decision not to put up where the Assiniboine sheep are. I think enough info. is publicly available that anyone can dig in and learn on their own.

Its one thing to talk / reveal GOS areas in which I'm probably the last person to talk to in such regard. I initially thought it wasn't a big deal regarding a hunt with only 1 tag and 80:1 odds.......

01-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Jelly,
Keep in mind that there are a number of sheep hunters out here that have put in more than a decade of effort and still haven't taken a full curler bighorn. Mostly because they avoid some of the places GG-thewalkersandthetalkersthesittersandthestalkers refers to above. ;)
4Ster-oh-fer-onbighorns.

Geeze Jellman I agree with 4ster, 6616 is only 1 for 10 on bighorns. But I've still helped people out even though my knowledge is limited, but only when I thought it was appropriate. I like to see a prospective sheep hunter put some real effort in first, I mean effort on the mountain, not effort trolling the internet. Sorry Jelly, you've maxed out this thread.

Jelvis
01-16-2009, 01:49 PM
-----------------------

budismyhorse
01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
........ For a first time success on a legal ram in the Koots, hands down.

No such place....you'll see.

01-16-2009, 02:04 PM
---The Best MU in the Kootenay first, before I can lock it!
The best mu in region 4, for a newbie to score on an open seasoned full curler.
In region 4, " Kootenay, " the best mu, the one and only open seasoned sheep hunt available, to a newbie sheepster in the Koots. For a first time success on a legal ram in the Koots, hands down.
Jelly-miester, the jig is up.

The MU you seek is 4-40 hands down.

Kody94
01-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Time to invest some "sweat equity". There's more than enough here to get you or anyone else started. More than I knew when I started.

GoatGuy
01-16-2009, 03:00 PM
---The Best MU in the Kootenay first, before I can lock it!
The best mu in region 4, for a newbie to score on an open seasoned full curler.
In region 4, " Kootenay, " the best mu, the one and only open seasoned sheep hunt available, to a newbie sheepster in the Koots. For a first time success on a legal ram in the Koots, hands down.
Jelly-miester, the jig is up.

go where the harvest is jelly, go where the harvest is

Jelvis
01-16-2009, 07:01 PM
------------------------

Jelvis
01-17-2009, 01:14 PM
---------------------

Jelvis
01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
----------------------

slyfox
01-19-2009, 04:15 PM
There are better area,s for sheep draws then the koot,s the odd,s are crazy.

Jelvis
01-19-2009, 04:34 PM

slyfox
01-19-2009, 07:08 PM
If i had no other area,s in mind i would try the salmo draw Jelvis.

boxhitch
01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Jel, IF you are serious, and IF you don't get your draw ......
Are you still going to go to the mountains to find your sheep ??

Don't float above us, Jel-hotairrising

Jelvis
01-19-2009, 08:14 PM
---------------------

Stone Sheep Steve
01-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Herds from "Return of Royalty" 1999 (a must read).

Flathead
Phillips Ck
Maguire/Red Canyon
Wigwam/China Wall
South Salmo
Deer Park
Bull River
Upper Bull River
Wildhorse River
Estella
Premier
Marmalade
Lussier/Blackfoot
Elko
Quarrie Ck
Bingay Ck
Crossing Ck
Brule Ck
Upper Elk
Ewin Ck
Imperial Ridge
Eagle/Brownie
Van Nostrand
Whiteswan
Mt Glenn
Nine Mile
Columbia Lk
Windermere
Stoddart Ck
Assiniboine
Kootney/Cross R
Kicking Horse Pass
Sheep Mtn
Todhunter
Deadman Pass
Corbin
Hamber Park

Check for closures, die-offs and LEHs on a mtn near you:wink:.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
01-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Van Nostrand

SSS

Sounds made up! Sure it's not Van deLay?

http://media.80stees.com/images/products/Seinfeld_Dr_Van_Nostrand-T.jpg

BCrams
01-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Herds from "Return of Royalty" 1999 (a must read).

Flathead
Phillips Ck
Maguire/Red Canyon
Wigwam/China Wall
South Salmo
Deer Park
Bull River
Upper Bull River
Wildhorse River
Estella
Premier
Marmalade
Lussier/Blackfoot
Elko
Quarrie Ck
Bingay Ck
Crossing Ck
Brule Ck
Upper Elk
Ewin Ck
Imperial Ridge
Eagle/Brownie
Van Nostrand
Whiteswan
Mt Glenn
Nine Mile
Columbia Lk
Windermere
Stoddart Ck
Assiniboine
Kootney/Cross R
Kicking Horse Pass
Sheep Mtn
Todhunter
Deadman Pass
Corbin
Hamber Park

Check for closures, die-offs and LEHs on a mtn near you:wink:.

SSS

gasp ....... the local Kootenay sheep hunters are going to lynch you for revealing all their areas :roll:

budismyhorse
01-19-2009, 08:42 PM
This just in HOT===>>NEWS<<>>>>FLASH>><<

Tests show Jelvis's cranium as hard and thick as mature bighorn ram skull!!

Its all in front of you Jelvis, Stop all this beggin BS and just research what is in front of your eyes. The start up points have all been given to you in spades. Good lord, I could spend 2 months trying to learn all the access and info in that sheep country SSS put up. (all the sheep in those ranges have either died or the wolves ate them by the way)

Information that was in a book on sheep........figure it out! there is all you need to know out there without the hand-outs.

Bud-gettintired-o-Jellyanticsitis.

Jelvis
01-19-2009, 08:46 PM
------------------------------

budismyhorse
01-19-2009, 08:49 PM
To HECK with the top 4 BS Jelvis

that is NOT WHAT SHEEP HUNTING IS ABOUT. Learn the craft, respect the hunt.

ahhh whatever

bighornbob
01-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Jelvis

When there are only about 15 rams killed in a year in the whole east koots and this by guys that probably pound the bush every year. What do you think the odds of a newbie going in there and getting one?? Even if I drew you map to every one of the spots I know in the koots your chances of success are still around only 10-15% of success.

The sheep numbers are no where near the deer or elk numbers. Some valleys that have rams may not have a legal ram in it every year. So like I said I could give you a map and you still may not see a legal ram in that basin.

BHB

budismyhorse
01-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Suckered in:

I figured it out. Still stinging from my defeat on the squash court I was quiet in thought when it hit.

Jelvis has absolutely no intention of hunting sheep for himself. Otherwise he would have done like the rest of the newbies pm'ing me the whole time. Take what they have been given and go at it!

He is doing this for the purposes of getting good R4 sheep hunting onto the public forum like it has never been done before. For what purpose? For helping other newbie sheep hunters, not himself....which is kind of admirable, though he is denying them the benefit of finding it out for themselves.

If he truley wanted to hunt sheep himself, PM's would be in order and not incecent public info gathering. Forcing people to buckle and put up info for the public. That part is not admirable however.

In that we thought we were helping an older newbie go for a sheep, we've all been had. Prove me wrong Jelvis, stop all this, come back later on with some research done for yourself and we'll go from there. You have yet to make it SEEM like you are researching areas for yourself. Just blanketing info...I fully expect one of his ranting, rumour and unproven info-packed MU by MU emails later on before the season.

prove me wrong Jellyboy

GoatGuy
01-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Jelly,

The best place to start is on the winter range and then work your way back. :wink:

The secret's out!

Jelvis
01-19-2009, 10:24 PM
----------------

GoatGuy
01-19-2009, 10:30 PM
That makes total sense, study where they winter, cuz then a person could see where the sheep go from there, right on. A great thought. That's one secret thats out of the vault. What comes down, must go up.
Jel-all newbie's owe you for that one now.

Also gives you a good idea of what to expect come fall time. Take pictures, name the sheep, maybe check up on them in summer - find where they're hanging. Exercise the Molson muscle in July or August - shed a few hamburgers. Maybe find yourself one of them monster muleys while you're there, maybe.

Come Sept bang! Sheep meat in the freezer.

01-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Also gives you a good idea of what to expect come fall time. Take pictures, name the sheep, maybe check up on them in summer - find where they're hanging. Exercise the Molson muscle in July or August - shed a few hamburgers. Maybe find yourself one of them monster muleys while you're there, maybe.

Come Sept bang! Sheep meat in the freezer.

Easy as pie...................

GoatGuy
01-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Easy as pie...................

You got 'er man as long as a couple of sets of mountains don't bother you.

slyfox
01-19-2009, 11:28 PM
There,s going to be a lot of new hunter,s looking at some big mountains in the koot,s this year it going to look like sp bridge i bet with all the info you guy,s are giving.

GoatGuy
01-19-2009, 11:35 PM
There,s going to be a lot of new hunter,s looking at some big mountains in the koot,s this year it going to look like sp bridge i bet with all the info you guy,s are giving.

right....... there will be herds of hunters running across the landscape. :razz:

Maybe I'll get to see a couple of resident sheep hunters this year - I'd honestly like that.

slyfox
01-19-2009, 11:36 PM
One of you guy,s should take him with you and show him your area,s.THAT WOULD HELP.

GoatGuy
01-19-2009, 11:38 PM
One of you guy,s should take him with you and show him your area,s.THAT WOULD HELP.

I don't think Jelly strays too far from the loops. He just likes to chat.

slyfox
01-19-2009, 11:43 PM
That,s funny i was thinking i was going to see him in 4 02 sheep hunting this season.

Jelvis
01-20-2009, 01:02 PM

slyfox
01-20-2009, 03:56 PM
I,ll be there on the 10th see ya on the mountains my white toyota tundra should be parked at the yellow gate.

Jelvis
01-20-2009, 06:57 PM
-------------------

40inchtwister
01-21-2009, 09:19 AM
I saw 3 sheep get hit by the "BRI" when i was home for the holidays ....... ppl got to slow down through there...

Jelvis
01-21-2009, 11:59 AM
------------------------

Jelvis
01-22-2009, 11:34 AM
----------------

Jelvis
01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
-----------------------

Stone Sheep Steve
01-27-2009, 01:07 PM
You keep mentioning the Albert River, Jelvis.....isn't that where the two guys were killed by a grizzly back in 1995??

SSS

01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
You keep mentioning the Albert River, Jelvis.....isn't that where the two guys were killed by a grizzly back in 1995??

SSS

Yes, you are correct, that is the place.

40inchtwister
01-27-2009, 01:17 PM
No I won't be parachuting into a high spot for the wiley bighorn, but hey I'll follow the leader into the spot.
Lead, follow I'll even get outta the way for yah, but hey I'm coming up from the bottom too, so let's go.
Cranbrook, Invermere, Kimberly, the Albert River, the Bull, let's google it, gettin ready Teddy?
Jelly-Ram-eye-tis-Region 4--East Koot's--B there-or b square. lol

Kimberly!! thats an awsome place for bighorns jelvis start there... maby up by st marys lake ,,,try the back end of redding creek.

Jelvis
01-27-2009, 01:28 PM

GoatGuy
01-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Kimberly!! thats an awsome place for bighorns jelvis start there... maby up by st marys lake ,,,try the back end of redding creek.

the sheep there seem to have antlers - black and tan, 6 pts everywhere!

Jelvis
01-28-2009, 06:07 PM
-------------------------------

SteadyGirl
01-28-2009, 06:19 PM
you must bring a wheel loader everywhere you go, no way a fork and barrow would keep up

SteadyGirl
01-28-2009, 06:21 PM
i was going to say 'good one jel' but thought I better not;)

jmighthave-gone ~on another 18cOunT

Jelvis
01-29-2009, 01:52 PM

Jelvis
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
--------------------

02-08-2009, 09:17 PM
--Hey beginners. What is the best leh to go for? For bighorns in the east koots? I want some of your thought on that particular first question. lol.
Simple question difficult answer lol, what does your sheep mind tell you as a interested sheeper in the Koots.
The Albert, does it have leh this season? I can't wait till leh sheep comes out. I'm really stoked. When? Why not now? lol it's true leh, should be now.
Jel--help make up my mind for the LEH. lol. Jel-Ram. lol.

You haven't done much research yet have you Jel? Sheep are on GOS in all of the EK MUs that have sheep populations except Mount Assiniboine Park, and the Phillips Creek area where there is a late season LEH but its also GOS during the regular sheep season.

Brambles
02-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Reading Jelvis posts makes my head hurt.

Jelvis
02-08-2009, 10:17 PM

02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
[quote=Jelvis;407556---which general open season area---really interests you for this coming season------[/quote]

Are you kidding? I'll decline that invitation thank you, my head is starting to hurt too......!!!!!!

Jelvis
02-09-2009, 02:03 PM
---------------------

Stone Sheep Steve
02-09-2009, 02:39 PM
The Beaverfoot River Road---in MU 4-35--East of Columbia
This sounds like a real winner. From Leanchoil, just outside the park gate on Hwy 1, east of GOLDEN. ok.
This river gives access to excellent elk and moose country while your driving into the high spots for mountain sheep.
Jel---talk about Beaverfoot River Road--is it in your plan?

Don't forget to check for motorized vehicle closures for the purpose of hunting.

SSS

Jelvis
02-14-2009, 01:57 PM
=====================

Jelvis
04-04-2009, 04:02 PM
--------------------

Rackmastr
04-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Mountains alive with animals around Ord road and Batchelor hill area out to Kamloops Lake by Battle Bluffs in the dry belt of Kamloops B.C.
Hey all you newbie sheeper's thinking of bighorns. We're on our own with no self proclaimed, expert veteran of the sheep hunting world of B.C. lol.
Beginner's start from b4 the beginning and that we have done and past with flying colours. Second stage now. lol.
Anyways I wanted to tell you that the rams are hittin their horns together now on the cliff edges. Big rams and medium sizes. CLUNK.
So I have'nt forgotten us but had to tell you the batchelor grouped rams are bangin heads as of April 4th - Saturday saw it with my own eyes.
Jel - - we're headin out.

I really need to learn how to speak this language.....:oops:

Jelvis
05-22-2009, 10:07 PM
-------------------------------

Jelvis
07-05-2009, 08:06 PM
---------------------

brenden
07-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Jelvis WTF are you talking about? Your posts make less and less sense as this thread goes on. Is it some sort of code? I'm lost. Stay out of the wigwam/elko area.. your freakin me out.

07-05-2009, 10:46 PM
The Columbia River from Golden on down to Newgate. Corbins making my head spin, King George and many many more newbie thoughts.
Mt. Jaffre 11318 and climbing whew, might have to start on a lower elevation first, beginners but you can do it!
Jel -- beginners luck -- these boots were made for walkin -- let me know --

Did you actually say Columbia River at Newgate Jelmanofpoor geographicalknowledge....?????

Jelvis
07-05-2009, 11:01 PM
--------------------

boxhitch
07-06-2009, 09:41 AM
, I'm going to talk to my brother in Cranbrook and find out the best spot for that particular area around the Bull, the Quinn and some other hot spots to try, that you don't need a pro guide and your not expected to be part animal your self. lol. Give me a week or two and I'll be comin back at yah. .New to bighorn hunting, and still waiting for info..........

bighornbob
07-06-2009, 10:01 AM
New to bighorn hunting, and still waiting for info..........

Will trade bighorn info for stone sheep info:biggrin:

BHB

ferndogger
07-06-2009, 10:02 AM
The Columbia River from Golden on down to Newgate. Corbins making my head spin, King George and many many more newbie thoughts.
Mt. Jaffre 11318 and climbing whew, might have to start on a lower elevation first, beginners but you can do it!
Jel -- beginners luck -- these boots were made for walkin -- let me know --

Definatly go sheep hunting in Newgate. Probably the best spot around, kinda a local secret. They like to hang at low-mid elevation there, so you can pretty much get one right from the truck as there is lots of roads to search. If your coming all the way to the EK in search for bighorns, Newgate is the place to go, dont make plans to hunt anywhere else as you will probably fill your tag in the first few days.

Jelvis
07-06-2009, 12:05 PM
------------------------

ferndogger
07-06-2009, 12:41 PM
fernadogga and fawnadooger are you a beginner first of all --? lol.
Sounds like you locals with experience about sheep would like to confuse newbies with sentences in sarcastic form, re go to to Newgate only for sheep oh oh and ah oh yah there low down and you can get one to walk into the back of a cattle truck, ya well we don't believe it Amigo. lol.
Let me set you straight, hunter of the elk valley. Us newbies maybe a little ignorant as to where exactly to park our Toyota or Honda Ridgeline and start trekking off into the wild blue yonder ok, but but we are going to cuz we can. Even from an old F150, or a Jimmy don't matter.
Besides Newgate is where the trophy size whitetail bucks are Hombre.
Mu 4-1 says your mistaken nimrod -- McGillivray-Corbin roads - Coal creek road -Fernie - Lodgepole Creek road - from Morrissey , 13 km west of Fernie -
Mu 4-1 Mule and whitetail deer, moose, elk and bighorned sheep -- +
For beginners ONLY !

Oh Jel, you must have mistaken me. I would do no such thing as to send someone hunting for the elusive sheep in the wrong place. I cant see how someone with so much knowledge for the area (i.e. go to the wigwam via corbin road) would be so reluctent to recieve some help.

Jelvis
07-06-2009, 01:03 PM

ferndogger
07-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Only for sheep hunter recruitment and beginners only for Mu 4-2 the Wigwam river reached from Elko over Rocky Ridge road, some access with your Toyota Tacoma all shined up and running like the wind from south of Elko, window down hair blowing and the tunes cranked heading into God's country, up the Wigwam coming outta the fabulous Flathead with a record head -- a new beginning -- a new day -- a new recruit in the army of sheep hunter's --
Jelly -- all dressed up -- hunting on foot -- " No. 1 Destination " 4 bchunter's

im lost and confused.....

Jelvis
07-06-2009, 02:29 PM
------------------------

budismyhorse
07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Hey Ferndogger......are you regretting your post yet?

What Jelvis doesn't realize is he is screwing up more Newbie Sheepers than he is helping....just ignore it and shudder at the thought of some poor bugger following his advice into R4 to hunt sheep.

Jelvis
07-07-2009, 12:39 PM

ferndogger
07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Yes, your lost and confused cuz, your a newbie, to the actual hunting process as compared to all the outdoor hunting magazines you read. lol. J/J
and all the threads you bin reading and the posts you studied and now you figure, your a vet ? eh, ah yah.
Good ooone hah, lost and can't use.
I'm kayos and mayhem -- I found what you lost -- you got 69 posts and whaddya get, another day older and deeper in debt -- St Peter don't yah call me cuz I I can't go, I owe my soul to the company dole --
Jel -- in the brother's hood -- I'm a dreamer? I'm not the only one --Imagine -- !
share the world -- I hope some day you'll join us and all hunters will hunt as one - John - Lemon -
Wild and windy night that the rain washed away -- Let me know the way to sheep - yesterday - came suddenly - I long for - yesterday - hunting - ezee
Newbie - recruit - BRB - + -

WOW! I have no idea what you are trying to say with all your ryhming garbage. I am a newbie because I have 69 posts? or maybe I spend more time actually doing things other then sitting in front of a computer screen. But I'm not here to bicker, just trying to figure out what all your banter is about. I just cant make sense of anything you say. Good luck on you sheep hunt.

Jelvis
07-07-2009, 09:27 PM
--------------------

Jelvis
08-14-2009, 02:21 PM
---------------------

bad arrow
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Dont forget about the sheep around Chase, last time I went through there one was hit on the road, I think there's quite a few around there too.

Jelvis
08-14-2009, 03:17 PM

frenchbar
08-14-2009, 03:25 PM
News flash,,, spences bridge is not on the Fraser..

Jelvis
10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
----------------------

Jelvis
03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
--------------------

Brett
03-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks Jel, I'll need it!:)

Jelvis
05-22-2010, 09:33 PM
-----------------------

srupp
05-22-2010, 11:40 PM
sheeeesh didnt see this post till tonite and decided to see if I could glean any nuggets of wisdom........going to bed more confused than ever...

I have bighorns on my "agenda" ..having drawn the white Dall sheep tag for this year...

I was amazed after spending the day with Tim @ Spenses Bridge doing the sheep count..how different they behave and where they seemed to prefer..much different than the Californian bighorn I am much much more familiar with....

next few weeks get back at seeking out a few bands of rams up here locally..
Steven

Jelvis
05-23-2010, 12:57 PM
===============

Jelvis
07-17-2010, 02:25 PM
--------------------

tankster
03-09-2011, 10:38 AM
good thread some good info here

limit time
10-30-2011, 08:33 PM
tagged for further Jelvis-delight!

Jelvis
03-02-2013, 10:48 PM
------------------------

huntingpg
03-04-2013, 10:55 PM
3 rams were killed up st Mary's this year 2 and one up the back end of Pery creek soo keep your eyes open

Husky7mm
03-04-2013, 11:29 PM
I saw a ewe by by the shit fields once....

blackbart
03-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Huntingpg must be thinking of domestic sheep as I can't seem to find any legal hunting season for wild sheep in 4-20. Funny, most of the MU's that actually have wild sheep living in them within region #4 have a season of some sorts, be it GOS or LEH.