PDA

View Full Version : bears, most underutilised species

betteroffishing
09-06-2008, 08:48 AM
when will our co's {or whomever it is who sets fees }figure out that 25.00 is too much to charge for something that you want to sell more of when comparables{ read deer tags } sell for 15.00 . if you wish to sell more widgets you must make buying widgets more attractive to the consumer. Q ? why is the blacky so expensive to tag up on ?

FLHTCUI
09-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Thank Moe Sihotta for raiseing the fees to hunt for Black Bears, he bowed to the Special Interest Groups years ago when poaching was/is still a huge problem for the gall bladder. The Provincial Government even allowed us "Legal" hunters to sell them for a short time as well.
There is an old addage that goes like this " If you have to ask how mauch... You cant really afford it " or somethign to that effect.
Rather than complain about it gt out off the couch / from behind the keyboard and go and enjoy some of what Mother Nature has to offer.
After all it isnt about killing/harvesting an animal its about getting back to what our fore fathers did when there wasnt a mickie Dees' open 24 hrs.
Enjoy the Nature, enjoy the hunt, enjoy the stalk and if all the moons are lined up and you can take an animal, then the work begins.
ok, sorry for the Rant, I may ahve answered your question i the first few lines.
Rob

09-06-2008, 11:02 AM
After all it isnt about killing/harvesting an animal its about getting back to what our fore fathers did when there wasnt a mickie Dees' open 24 hrs.

Actually, "killing/harvesting" was exactly what the early pioneers did. In those days no one had time for the "back to nature experience" some seem see as a necessity for a successfull hunt nowadays.
As hunters, we are a vital part of the govt game management program and l agree with betteroffishing that we don't need to get raped every time we tag up.

There is an old addage that goes like this " If you have to ask how mauch... You cant really afford it " or somethign to that effect.

As a taxpayer l have every right to ask why the costs associated with my past time are what they are, and to know where our money is being spent. The notion that we have to accept and pay with out questioning what value we are seeing for our investments is bullsh!t IMO

Wild one
09-06-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't think the lac of black bear being harvested is do to tag cost. A lot of hunters choose not to take a bear because they do not care for the meat or only want that one bear for the trophy room. I don't have a problem paying 25$ for a tag in hopes of the money goes to good use.

sfire436
09-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Perssonaly I have no problem paying $25 towards a BB tag. I know it all (somewhat) goes back into conservation so what the hell eh? I think people have to remember that as long as hunter numbers keep dropping then fees and licences will continue to rise to offset laking participation.

Gateholio
09-06-2008, 11:24 AM
$25 isn't very much money, I doubt that is the reason people arn't interested in bear hunting..

Avalanche123
09-06-2008, 11:51 AM
$25.00 isn't the reason I do not have a black bear tag. And I consider that a cheap licence anyway.

BCRiverBoater
09-06-2008, 11:59 AM
$25??? One box of factory shells for my gun is $90-$100...of course I hand load.

Mr. Dean
09-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeh I'm with the side of cost for tag isn't the reason people aren't taking up bear hunting. *Most* just can't get over the thought of eating one and make ALL kinds of excuses to rationalize it.

We have done this on several occasions; Mixed meats (bear and beef) on a platter. Other than texture there's been no real discerning between the two..... This has been done w/ 8 different bears now that were all taken mid-late spring (read: have had time to graze - you are what you eat).

Good protein IMO. :wink:
Can't wait for winter to settle in, as spring is then just around the corner.

martyonthewater
09-06-2008, 01:42 PM
as I've said in the past dave, complaining that bear is more expensive than deer will only serve to raise the cost of the deer tag. They never lower the cost of anything- they just increase the cost of the comparables

Phreddy
09-06-2008, 08:53 PM
I think that the question is a valid one, as is any question asked by someone just learning the hunting sport. The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.
I beleive that bear tags cost more because most hunters, for years, only wanted them for the hide and the meat got left behind. As I recall, and I could be wrong on this, the tag price went up in hopes to make it a little more attractive to use the whole bear, not just the hide.

betteroffishing
09-06-2008, 08:56 PM
ok ok stop piling on, i am not saying its too much, i am tagging up on bear before rifle season starts im just lamenting the fact that in the 2006, 2007, and now in the 2008 hunting outlook field biologists are quoted as stating that" black bear continues to be bc's most underutilised game animal" as if there is some kind of mystery as to why. and your speculation that money isnt the reason is just as open to arguement as my speculation that money is a big part of the reason people pass on it as a must have it tag. immagine how many people would try liver for the first time if it cost more than fillet. im not too bitter about it , just thaught there might be some logic that was escaping me as to the why.

Mr. Dean
09-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Betteroffishing.
People just offering up opinions here IMO..... And from what I can tell, most are avid Bear Hunters. This isn't a "pile up" by any means, just different speculations that're applicable to the thread. :smile:

BC Bears ARE an under utilized hunt. I think that a new/youth hunter should get a freebie for a couple. This could spark new interests.

brotherjack
09-08-2008, 07:23 AM
I'd say it's less to do with a $25 tag, and more to do with the requirement to pack out the meat. (though cheaper tags might help a small bit).

shotgunjohn
09-08-2008, 07:39 AM
For many years the cost of a bear tag was the same as a deer tag. It was due to a campaign by anti hunters to stop bear hunting that a surcharge was added to the bear license. The money was used to run advertizing supporting the bear hunt to the general public. As someone else stated they never lower the cost of anything so now the surcharge has simply been added to the cost of the license.