PDA

View Full Version : Sheep aging correction (my blunder) -

BCrams
09-05-2008, 11:26 AM
OK folks ..... in my haste yesterday to put up the pictures while multi tasking a million things at work of the ram Rand took .....

....a small error on my part to correct and consequently .... the age of the ram.

The previous images put up by 'wild images' in which I posted (highlighting both methods into one photo is correct)......including other sheep ...

I just slipped up on this one......

All the rings identified are "correct" and this does not change.

Below in first picture -- you see the 8.5......... the .5 signifies the end of that summers growth ..... hence cross the 2mm of growth ring to spring to 9 yrs and the remainder is the half ..... the correct ram age below is indeed 9.5 as willy and others have guessed (unless you're counting false annuli).

To put it into another perspective and "much easier for aging" is to look at the tip where the 1/2 year marker is. That only goes up to the "beginning or start" of the annuli. Go to the "end" of the annuli and it is now 1 yrs old.

Using that method to start Year 1 at the first nub will produce the answer of 9.5 (see second photo with both numbers up to reflect this). With my method you need to always account for the last ring and I didn't on this ram.

I simply forgot to account for the final ring when I did the numbers up and threw them in.

A mistake on my part! :redface:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/69062.jpg

Second photo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/BCrams/69062a.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
09-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey, if you put the annuli marks on the spotter in the proper places, I'll count them. Deal??:mrgreen:

SSS

bighornbob
09-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Told you I am the expert:roll:

Now you just have to ditch your current sheep partner and come down here and hunt the real sheep with a pro:biggrin: I head out tomorrow.

BHB

BCrams
09-05-2008, 11:46 AM

Now you just have to ditch your current sheep partner and come down here and hunt the real sheep with a pro:biggrin: I head out tomorrow.

BHB

You used my method but corrected what I didn't :redface:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-05-2008, 12:13 PM

BHB

I think Rams has a little too much energy to be glassing out of the truck for two straight weeks:tongue:.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
09-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I've lost all faith in him now. To whom can I turn for a new mentor? Surely to hell, not BHB? :shock::shock::shock:

daycort
09-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I was wondering about that myself. I figured you where right Rams as you clearly have more knowledge then I. Thanks for being a man and letting us know your correction.

bighornbob
09-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I've lost all faith in him now. To whom can I turn for a new mentor? Surely to hell, not BHB? :shock::shock::shock:

Awe come on Fisher. If you come with me I will even turn the truck so you can use the window mount for the spotter and not have to get out of the truck. I will get out and spot over the hood of the truck, a spot the rookies usually get:tongue:

BHB

Brambles
09-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah, well..... I wasn't going to say anything about your mistake UUHHMMMM Glad you came clean so we didn't have to expose you as a fraud...:p

Fisher-Dude
09-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Awe come on Fisher. If you come with me I will even turn the truck so you can use the window mount for the spotter and not have to get out of the truck. I will get out and spot over the hood of the truck, a spot the rookies usually get:tongue:

BHB

Gee, that's an offer I can't refuse! The coveted window mount spotting position. I didn't know I was in such high demand as a road huntin' partner! :smile: