PDA

View Full Version : Got word from 7-b

mark
09-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Just got a call from a buddy hunting in the chetwynd area, he says theres so many hunters theres no-where left to camp. They got a immy moose, and 2 -5 point elk by sept. 02. Also said that guys are everywhere and elk are going down like crazy!!!! I hope theres some left in a week when I get there! :|

daycort
09-04-2008, 09:20 PM
ya your buddy is right it is a frickin zoo up here. The elk are already gun shy/call shy.

Kechika
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Hahahahaahaaha......Suckers and they're crown land.

daycort
09-04-2008, 09:27 PM
still the same ol story though. Get off the beatom bath and the elk can be found. Took a first timer out tonite and he is hooked, asking me all sorts of questions. Probably could have got in tight but didn't feel like crossing the river. swimming skills are something to be desired.

Avalanche123
09-04-2008, 09:35 PM
I read an article from Colorado that stated that hunters were actually causing the herd bulls to not call as too many new hunters were over doing it. The elks reaction was to not call. The article went on to say that in time this interfered with the rut and subsequent breeding.

Anyway that neck of the woods sounds a bit too busy for my liking.

BCRiverBoater
09-05-2008, 02:55 AM
I have been stuck working but I have heard it is a total mess out there right now. Trucks, quads and hikers on every single road, field and trail.

I am heading the heck out of 7-20* so I can actually enjoy my hunt.

sawmill
09-05-2008, 04:21 AM
It`s getting like that here too,think I`ll wear my goofy looking blaze orange hat this year.Maybe a Kevlar vest as well.

wetcoasthunter
09-05-2008, 06:46 AM
I hope theres some left in a week when I get there! :|

Me too, leaving next Friday, it can't be THAT bad....can it?

hunter1947
09-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Mark you are a good hunter and you will go where others won't go ,you will find animals in pockets where others won't ,I wish you luck when you head up next week.

ianwuzhere
09-05-2008, 07:20 AM
my buddy just came back from up there-was sucessful in looking for the elusive 6 point around chetwynd. It sounded like a few of the hunters he talked to thought 7-22 and 7-31 around chetwynd were 3 point elk and bigger, so i dunno if people are out blasting 3 points in regions other then the ones selected in 7-20a.
-just gotta get lucky and maybe someone will spook one in your direction, ive seen that before...

Caveman
09-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Mark you are a good hunter and you will go where others won't go ,you will find animals in pockets where others won't ,I wish you luck when you head up next week.

That's exactly what I'm thinking as well Wayne. I'll be with Mark and I'm already looking for, those spots the average guy isn't walking to. Most guys up there, I suspect, are running the roads and cutlines, not getting off the trail.

curt
09-05-2008, 12:27 PM
just out of total curousity according to the new regs area (720) imcompasses a huge area now am I right??? meaning all of 733 34 and so on there are anumber or mu's it apparently cover unless im reading it wrong there is a huge area open for antlerless elk and 3 points?????????

daycort
09-05-2008, 12:29 PM
yes the area is huge.

mark
09-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes Curt the regs are a bit confusing being listed as 7-20a???? why not just list the sub regions that are open??? Many were confused by this as was I at first. I will be skipping all the easy access areas this year as I figure they will already be pounded to "DEATH". Fortunately, after 15 years of hunting the area, I know of places way back in stix, miles from roads where few people will ever venture, especially all the newcomers hoping that this will be an easy elk hunt!!!! Ill just have to hide my drag trail when successful to conceal the area!