PDA

View Full Version : hunting them elk hard

Ddog
09-04-2008, 08:57 PM
well its the end of day 4 and i like BJ, and rock have yet to arrow my elk, although i have come oh so close! day 1 and 2 combined had me 8 bulls in total in bow range if you will shoot out to 50 yards, one beauty bull was 52 yards when he decided to stand-up on the trail i was walking down, this was at around 7:30 in the evening why he was bedded i dont know but when he stood up he was broadside and nothing between him and i, i just didnt want to take the shot because well i thought i would get closer but i didn't. i was following him doing some little chirps and everytime i did that he would stop and look at me, so i was following him through the bush and chirping thinking this is kinda neat watching him to the different cow calls all of a sudden i here a loud snap to my left and i look, CRAP!!! 4 bulls from a spike to a 4 point standing there at 30 yards watching me until i made eye contact then they left in a real hurry. CRAP!!!
the real thing that is getting me PO is that a few other hunters have moved in to the other side of the cut i am hunting wich is fine, however one of the that sits near the edge has a real coughing problem. so the spot i have been watching on the spotting scopes for the last month is sorta no good cause of hackie weezie { the name my partner and i gave to him}. its really to bad cause there is one huge 6 point in there that dwarfs the other bulls. so my blind has been used once since opening day and needless to say the elk never showed up cause of hackie weezie making so much noise in his stand.
so tonight found me on the other side of the valley once again glassing into there and what do i see, ya you know it, all the elk moving down the trail right beside my blind 10 yards at most, they moved their trail just slightly. when we were in there last night i never did see the other group so i think maybe they moved on, so i am going in there one more time!
oh ya , i almost forgot, i have had 14 cow , calves in there but no shot at them yet either. hmmmm,,, its been fun so far.
i will write a good story about more of what i seen so far ,, just not yet.
cheers....ddog

Avalanche123
09-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Wow you are definitely into some action. Hang in there as I sure you will connect! Too bad about "hackie weezie" though. I feel your pain!

Good luck!

c.r.hunter
09-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Right on D. Keep at it, I'm sure you'll get your chance. I can't wait for my new knives ;) ;) ;).....

rocksteady
09-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Stay the course young fella....Sooner (hopefully) or later , all the planets will come into alignment.....Then it will be elk filet mignon....Mmmmmm.....

good luck....

358win
09-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Patience...the key to a hunters bag of tricks. Success happens when you persist and overcome the oh-so-hard to do patience. Success will come...