PDA

View Full Version : First big animal

gaza211
09-03-2008, 07:28 PM
I would like to say I am new to hunting.........
However this will be my fourth year. I only get one week max each year to hunt outside the lower mainland.
I still have not shot anything larger than a goose.
Each year I have gone deer hunting and I cant find the deer. I have found plenty of bear, Elk, bobcat and sheep but I never have the tag for the right game.
My question is how many of you buy all tags and hunt whatever you find?
How long did you hunt before your first large animal kill?

Caveman
09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I carry a muley,moose,blackbear and a whitetail tag because you just never know. This year I'll also be carring an elk tag, because that will be my quest for at least one week. I was in my early twenties, for my first, not from a lack of trying. An Immature bull moose while hunting alone and that seemed to be the key for me. Hunting alone brought huge luck for me, although stressing out my dad and wife, but they got over it in time.

Blainer
09-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I definately keep a tag in my pocket for any species I would be interested in during deer season.Never know when you might see an immature moose or 6point elk.
Where do you see the sheep?

Spuddge
09-03-2008, 07:44 PM
I buy a moose tag, mulie tag and bear tag every year. I've been hunting for three years, got skunked for big game the 1st year, got my 1st mulie last year and I've already cut my moose tag this year and still hoping to get a fall bear and a mulie.

gaza211
09-03-2008, 08:00 PM
I definately keep a tag in my pocket for any species I would be interested in during deer season.Never know when you might see an immature moose or 6point elk.
Where do you see the sheep?

Second year hunting on nine mile ridge past lilloet. looking for deer I saw two- two pointers during four point opening.
The same evening five rams lined up on a ridge 50 yards from my camp, I was in the middle of cooking dinner. At least 2 of the rams were full curl.

Deadshot
09-03-2008, 08:05 PM
I only get one week max each year to hunt outside the lower mainland.

:cry::cry::cry:

If you don't buy a tag your not in the game!
Buy what you can afford & key on those animals.

little moose
09-03-2008, 10:01 PM
if you only have a week,see what is open in the area your hunting and buy tags for all that is open there

Mr. Dean
09-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Try finding more time and return to one area as often as ya can. Nothing wrong about nailing a bear ----> Shoot one!

I buy tags for Moose, Mule & Whitetail Deer and Black Bear, but I focus on the Muley's. Bears I typically reserve for spring. IF I was seeing Elk and Sheep in my neighbourhood, I'd be packin' them tags also AND wouldn't be hunting deer!

hunter1947
09-04-2008, 05:06 AM
I hunted my 4th year till I got my first buck.

I buy a tag for the animals that are open in the area I hunt ,elk ,Mule deer ,whitetail deer.

As for you not finding a deer to shoot is a strange one to me ???.

If you hunt anywhere around region 3-14 you should be able to find a deer to shoot.

ianwuzhere
09-04-2008, 07:14 AM
always tag up

BiG Boar
09-04-2008, 07:22 AM
i buy whatever is open in the region I am hunting that week. For if you see a monster, you gots to be prepared!

Red Foreman
09-04-2008, 07:39 AM
I buy mulie,whitey and moose tags.I don't hunt bears and elk aren't open in my area.

Wild one
09-04-2008, 09:00 AM
I always have tags for every thing that is open in the area I am hunting because I have had to pass on a few animals in the past due to lack of a tag.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-04-2008, 09:10 AM
The only animal that I saw that I never had a tag for(and was open) was a bobcat. His lucky day:roll:.

SSS

Mr. Dean
09-04-2008, 10:01 AM
The only animal that I saw that I never had a tag for(and was open) was a bobcat. His lucky day:roll:.

SSS

yeh....

Cougar x2
Lynx - Lost count
Bobcat - 2 that I know of
Whitetail x1
Fall Blackie that wanted my downed deer x1

Can't play if ya don't have the tag.....

sparkes3
09-04-2008, 05:47 PM
tags tags and more tags whatever is open

FlyingHigh
09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
this year i'll be tagged up for mulies, whities, black bear, and moose. they're all open where i go, so i'll be basically shooting anything that steps out. i'm also trying for my first big game animal. tag up for everything you can.

gaza211
09-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the input guys
I will buy tags fo any species open during my trip.
Now the only problem is finding them.

f350ps
09-04-2008, 09:40 PM
The way I see it is yer cooking dinner during Prime Time if you seen 5 Rams while cookin dinner. Something to think about. K

Gateholio
09-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I will always buy a mule deer tag, a black bear tag and a moose tag, for hunting arounf home.

Moose are limited to "immature" but you never know. Most fall bear and immature moose are shot by guys out deer hunting.

If you see bobcat consistently, buy one of those, too, it's only $8 or so...

Mr. Dean
09-05-2008, 08:46 AM
I will always buy a mule deer tag, a black bear tag and a moose tag, for hunting arounf home.

Moose are limited to "immature" but you never know. Most fall bear and immature moose are shot by guys out deer hunting.

My problem is that they hang in a deer haunt. I pass'em up in favour of venison. :wink:
That, and....... The .300 WM would do what exactly to a little kitty; Would there be anything left? :lol:

I'm gonna get my deer early this year. Then I can concentrate on 'other' stuff.

gaza211
09-05-2008, 08:41 PM

The bobcat was a fluke it was stalking me and my buddy up in Squamish. I spotted it with my binos 150 yds away in the bush. every 20 min he would pop out of the bush 20 yards closer. a couple hours later he came out of the bush 40 feet behind us and then ran back in. that was the last we saw of them.