PDA

View Full Version : Day 3 - So close...Argh!!!

rocksteady
09-03-2008, 09:57 AM
6 degrees and overcast . No wind. Went to the saddle this morning, sitting on my arse by 5:45 (6:15 is twilight) around 6:00 or so I start to hear cow calls and the occassional bull yelp coming up the hill for the saddle (Yippee)

This goes on and on and on, for about 25 minutes or so...I can hear them talking and rocks rolling as they come up the trail to the saddle....EVERY nerve in my body is in turbo mode.....The herd comes up on the far trail in the saddle (75 yards away from me) DAMN !!!!! About 8 cows and calves, did not see the bull, he must have used a lower down trail to go around the big knoll, I heard him yelp over there....

So I am sitting there glassing the herd (They have all gone through right ???? WRONG !!) Out of the corner of my eye I spot movement, here is a cow, 30 yards to my left at 45 degree angle. So I slowly lower the binos, grasp the crossbow, raise it and small tree in the way...If she takes 1 step she is in the clear...Stands there for a minute looking to see where everyone else went, turns, goes down the trail a few feet and gets on the other trail and comes up on the far side of the saddle.....

It ain't over yet......So I am sitting there trying to come up with a game plan of how I am gonna sneek after them, I know they are going to head up onto the knoll to bed..Crack !!!! I look behind me to the right, about 100 yards over in the cutblock, here comes a bunch more...I belly crawl down into a little draw, crawl up onto a small ridge and lay down....The elk are coming down a trail and in a few moments they should be in the open at 40 yards.....They mill around abit and for some reason (not wind, there was none, if any it was blowing from them to me), they just casually wander up the hillside heading away from me....6 cows and calves....

Still ain't over....So I figure maybe I will do the sneek on the herd on the hill, just as I move...You guessed it GRONK !!! The last cow going up the big knoll came back and was watching me, gave the big old alarm bark (Gonna get her !!!) and then there were elk moving in all directions.....

Dejected I wander back to the truck (1 km or so), drive down the road about 600 metres and here is a herd of about 25 elk crossing the road in front of me, not scared, but not sticking around for a pickup to take their pictures....Binos showed 2 velvet bulls, 1 was a spike and the other was a weird 2, had his spikes and then his eye guards were just about the same length, looked like he had a giant "L" on his head....

Even though I have not flung carbon yet, I am still pretty stoked that I am getting that close and more elk are now invading the area..

The rut must be just around the bend, the bull was yelping today, no full blown bugles made....

Guess where I will be tomorrow morning at 5:45 ????? You guessed it, in the saddle, will have to decide which trail tomorrow morning based on wind....

brotherjack
09-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Keep at it man, it's just a matter of time and timing at this point. :)

rocksteady
09-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Would be alot better story if I had a picture of one hanging in my garage !!!!:twisted::twisted:

Patience...Feel the vibe...breathe, relax, breathe , relax....

The 'Hummer'
09-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Great story!! Hang in there. If it was really easy, everyone would be doing it. I'm envious and wish I was in 'your shoes' or at least there. Good luck & keep us 'jealous' people posted.:smile:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-03-2008, 10:36 AM
You're getting me stoked, Rock!!:cool: Great details!

Leaving for the Koots on Sunday!!:smile: Can't wait!

SSS

quadrakid
09-03-2008, 10:38 AM
i,ve been waiting for my morning rocksteady update,you don,t dissapoint.sounds like your having a good time and it,s only a matter of time. god i wish i lived in elk country,good luck

rocksteady
09-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Leaving for the Koots on Sunday!!:smile: Can't wait!

SSS

Oh...Forgot to add, all the elk are leaving the country Saturday Night...There are no elk in the East Koots...:wink:

Where approximately do you plan to hunt...????? Maybe get together for a brew or 2...

rocksteady
09-03-2008, 11:11 AM
.sounds like your having a good time . god i wish i lived in elk country,good luck

Having a blast, seeing them every day keeps me motivated to get my arse out of bed at 3:40....

Elk country is part of the reaon I moved here and I had the opportunity for a promotion, out of town, but figured no way, I can't live without my backyard elk hunting...

hunter1947
09-03-2008, 11:12 AM
6 degrees and overcast . No wind. Went to the saddle this morning, sitting on my arse by 5:45 (6:15 is twilight) around 6:00 or so I start to hear cow calls and the occassional bull yelp coming up the hill for the saddle (Yippee)

This goes on and on and on, for about 25 minutes or so...I can hear them talking and rocks rolling as they come up the trail to the saddle....EVERY nerve in my body is in turbo mode.....The herd comes up on the far trail in the saddle (75 yards away from me) DAMN !!!!! About 8 cows and calves, did not see the bull, he must have used a lower down trail to go around the big knoll, I heard him yelp over there....

So I am sitting there glassing the herd (They have all gone through right ???? WRONG !!) Out of the corner of my eye I spot movement, here is a cow, 30 yards to my left at 45 degree angle. So I slowly lower the binos, grasp the crossbow, raise it and small tree in the way...If she takes 1 step she is in the clear...Stands there for a minute looking to see where everyone else went, turns, goes down the trail a few feet and gets on the other trail and comes up on the far side of the saddle.....

It ain't over yet......So I am sitting there trying to come up with a game plan of how I am gonna sneek after them, I know they are going to head up onto the knoll to bed..Crack !!!! I look behind me to the right, about 100 yards over in the cutblock, here comes a bunch more...I belly crawl down into a little draw, crawl up onto a small ridge and lay down....The elk are coming down a trail and in a few moments they should be in the open at 40 yards.....They mill around abit and for some reason (not wind, there was none, if any it was blowing from them to me), they just casually wander up the hillside heading away from me....6 cows and calves....

Still ain't over....So I figure maybe I will do the sneek on the herd on the hill, just as I move...You guessed it GRONK !!! The last cow going up the big knoll came back and was watching me, gave the big old alarm bark (Gonna get her !!!) and then there were elk moving in all directions.....

Dejected I wander back to the truck (1 km or so), drive down the road about 600 metres and here is a herd of about 25 elk crossing the road in front of me, not scared, but not sticking around for a pickup to take their pictures....Binos showed 2 velvet bulls, 1 was a spike and the other was a weird 2, had his spikes and then his eye guards were just about the same length, looked like he had a giant "L" on his head....

Even though I have not flung carbon yet, I am still pretty stoked that I am getting that close and more elk are now invading the area..

The rut must be just around the bend, the bull was yelping today, no full blown bugles made....

Guess where I will be tomorrow morning at 5:45 ????? You guessed it, in the saddle, will have to decide which trail tomorrow morning based on wind....

Your going to get that cigar sooner or latter ,when you do drop a bull you will have to smoke the hole thing.,LOL.

Why don't you get set up there 1hr earlier tomorrow Mike then today ???.

rocksteady
09-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Why don't you get set up there 1hr earlier tomorrow Mike then today ???.

Cause its blacker than the inside of a dead goat Wayne...I walk in the pitch black and have to wait 30 minutes for enough light to shoot at 40 yards.....

I think we are gonna have a great harvest of bulls this year, to me it looks like the peak rut will be during rifle season.......I KNOW you will get yours Wayne ( I already have one tied to a tree for you up in your secret area...But don't tell anyone):shock::shock:

burger
09-03-2008, 12:11 PM
The journey is awesome cant wait for the smoking ceegar story and the photos to follow.

Fisher-Dude
09-03-2008, 12:30 PM
About 8 cows and calves, did not see the bull, he must have used a lower down trail to go around the big knoll, I heard him yelp over there....

Out of the corner of my eye I spot movement, here is a cow,

...6 cows and calves....

Dejected I wander back to the truck (1 km or so), drive down the road about 600 metres and here is a herd of about 25 elk crossing the road in front of me, not scared, but not sticking around for a pickup to take their pictures....

Wow! A tonne of action! Sounds like you're gonna connect any day now Rocky!

A quick count here: 8+1+1+6+25 = 41 elk in your little huntin' spot! I think it's time we liberalized the seasons a wee bit! :wink::biggrin:

brotherjack
09-03-2008, 12:36 PM
A quick count here: 8+1+1+6+25 = 41 elk in your little huntin' spot! I think it's time we liberalized the seasons a wee bit! :wink::biggrin:

LOL - or at least transplanted some of those elk over to my hunting spots!!! I'm still looking for my first elk sighting of the season.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Oh...Forgot to add, all the elk are leaving the country Saturday Night...There are no elk in the East Koots...:wink:

Where approximately do you plan to hunt...????? Maybe get together for a brew or 2...

Won't quite be driving that far. Got a little pice of paper that says I don't have to:cool:.

Thanks for the beer offer though:-).

SSS

hunter1947
09-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Cause its blacker than the inside of a dead goat Wayne...I walk in the pitch black and have to wait 30 minutes for enough light to shoot at 40 yards.....

I think we are gonna have a great harvest of bulls this year, to me it looks like the peak rut will be during rifle season.......I KNOW you will get yours Wayne ( I already have one tied to a tree for you up in your secret area...But don't tell anyone):shock::shock:

Your a funny guy Mike :lol: ,I just fugued that if you went in in the dark you might spook them elk out and then when I come up I will get the bull that you spooked over into my area. LOL.

mcrae
09-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Won't quite be driving that far. Got a little pice of paper that says I don't have to:cool:.

Thanks for the beer offer though:-).

SSS

Good luck with your little piece of paper I had one last year and it was Awsome:biggrin:...

Blainer
09-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Get to bed early!
I'll look for the next chapter to be posted tomorow.