PDA

View Full Version : storing game meat in the alpine

Wildfoot
09-02-2008, 11:13 AM
just wondering what methods you guys have used for keeping game meat fresh in camp. Im going to be backpacking for 7-10 days and am looking for ways to keep meat if i get something during the first few days. i was thinking of burying it in a snowbank since there is an icefield about 1-2km from camp.
how about keeping predators away from game meat?

i also have a grizz tag.. couple questions. how to i preserve the hide while in camp? can i protect my game meat by shooting a grizz if its by my cache? or is this considered baiting?

Kye
09-02-2008, 11:23 AM
You can't shoot a griz. for eating your cache. Interesting point if you had a tag though. I'm not sure I would call that fair chase.

tomahawk
09-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I have used the snowbanks for keeping meat and would heavy salt the hide every few days, removing any moisture before each new salt application.

Gateholio
09-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Snowbanks, hanging over creeks, in a creek in a waterproof container, all work.

Salt works good for a hide, but you need alot for a grizz hide. I suppose if I got one, and i was backpacking, I'd get back to truck wiht the 100 LB sack of salt ASAP!:mrgreen:

Mr. Dean
09-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't screw with trying to store the hide..... I'd get it out asap and into a freezer.

srupp
09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
that GATEHOUSE is a smart man Id listen to his advice...and no you can NOT shoot a grizzly for going after your game meat however you can if hes after YOU...

GOOD LUCK

cheers

Steven

Wildfoot
09-02-2008, 10:33 PM
will get into town, last thing i want to do is ruin the hide if i manage to take a grizz! .
probably do the same with all the meat as well. lol its only 5km to camp.. 1000m elevation in the last 1.5km makes it a bit more fun lol.

ElectricDyck
09-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Wow! 1000m in 1.5 km! I recently did about 1200m in 2.2 km and don't think I'd be able to do it with a 5 day pack! We were on all fours 30% of the time with day packs on.,

Good luck on your hunt especially the grizzly, cross my fingers for next leh.

hunter1947
09-03-2008, 02:39 AM
If its a trophy animal get the cape out ASAP and the meat the only way to go.

As for a Griz you better have a good story to tell the co if you do have to shot a Griz for some reason ,they are protected species unless you have a LEH tag to shoot one.