PDA

View Full Version : Day 2 - Still no cigar

rocksteady
09-02-2008, 10:52 AM
5 C and foggy this morning, went to the spot where I had seen the elk yesterday, no shows...So i figured I would drive down the road further to glass a different slide chute...Driving along spot a nice little 3 point muley feeding 150 yards from the road at the base of a small knoll in the middle of a cut block..Drive past, get out, play the wind, cirlce around the hill, this took about 45 minutes, no sign of him..Get back to the truck, HE RAN WITHIN 10 feet of my truck :mad::mad:

So I figured I woould wander down to the area that I sat yesterday morning, get about a km from it, look up on the hill, ELK !!!!! There were 4 cows, 2 calves and a 4 point Bull. Standing up on this bald knob in the middle of a cut block (big one though) 50 acres in size, 200 metres elevation difference....So with the way the wind was, as well as I would have to walk down the road to get to them, I found cover and watched them with the binos (700 yards +/-).....Watched them for almost an hour and they bedded down on the hillside....

Figured if I was to North a click then east a click, I could come up the backside of the knoll, wind in my face and see if I could stalk across the top and maybe come in above them for a shot (some scrub cover up on top)....So I executed the plan, backed out to cover, snuck down a side draw, up another couple, over hill and dale, got the 1 km North part...Turn the corner, heading East, wind is still favourable, make it almost to the base of the hill on the North side and hear the worst sound an elk hunter could hear.........GRONK !!!!!!! GRONK !!!! GRONK !!!!!The old gray cow alarm bark !!!! Damn !!! SHe must have been a straggler, as all the other elk were bedded on the South side of the knoll, but this old B&%$H had been hanging out on the North side and blew the whole deal....

Ironically, if I would have sat at the same spot I did yesterday, all of the elk came up that saddle today to get to the knoll......I guess the elk were a day late.....

Different group of elk though. Definitely a different bull, scraggly 4 point as compared to yesterdays big boy....

Game plan for tomorrow, go back to the saddle for first light, and if the opportunity presents itself, get revenge by putting an arrow in that big old gray cow !!!! Hah !!!! Take that missy !!!!! Probably not, she is probably chewy as an old boot.....

Oh yeah, also saw a ruffed grouse on the road that looked like it just escaped from an anorexia convention, must have been a late brood...Not enough meat on him to even stop and try to get with a judo point....

Will update yall tomorrow......

This is why I love elk hunting, it don't come easy

Wildman
09-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Good luck!

steepNdeep
09-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Attaboy! Keep givin' 'er!! It took me a couple years to figure them out... The key is getting to know their area WELL - sounds like you're on the way... Good luck. :cool:

quadrakid
09-02-2008, 01:05 PM
good luck tomorrow,rock one of those elk. thanks for posting,i love these type of threads.