PDA

View Full Version : Tire Sealants for ATVs

bc sportsman
09-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Any experiences or recommendations?

I've looked up Green Slime and QuadBoss. Would appreciate any real world experiences on the effectiveness of these things.

Dragginbait
09-02-2008, 08:12 AM
I carry a can of the "whatever" you get from Wal-Mart, and a plug kit and small compressor. I've used the plugs and saved a hunt, so I guess it was worth it.

trailhunter
09-02-2008, 08:33 AM
i just use plugs................i carey a compresser and a plug kit in all my vehicles its cheap insurence..............plus thats what the tire guy is going to use to fix it anyhow. I personly dont like the slime idea...........what mess when you change your tires.

swampdonkey
09-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Same As Above

tomahawk
09-02-2008, 09:14 AM
I've had a sealant, green, in my tires since the early 90's and never had a flat or loss of air due to a bent rim or puncture and it is used lots. However i also keep a plug kit and pump on the unit.

srupp
09-02-2008, 12:39 PM
use the plug sealant...if you use some of the inflatant sealants it makes a patch on the inside iffy down the road

Steven

Pioneerman
09-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I have had friends use the green slime and al that did is show where the hole was cause the slime was spraying out and wouldn't seal, we still had to plus it. I have always carried a lot of plugs and a can of glue, not that little tube. you can never have too much glue and often those little ones are hard when you need them the most. The can or rubber glue is like $5 from can tire. I also do not ever use the sealant in the can beause it has a silicone base to it and makes it next to impossible to get a patch to stick to the tire afterwards. On a vehicle tire they have enougn rubber they can grind off the silicone on the inside, with a atv tire they are too thin to do much grinding, so then the patch won't stay stuck. Just carry a ton of plugs and a air pump, hand or elec

Ubertuber
09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
As others have said, skip the slime and get a plug kit.

M.Dean
09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I use both the plugs and the sealant, i check the glue now so I'm not going to pull out a dried out empty one again,also i put the glue and plugs in a small plastic box so they don't get squished. I carry about 10 plugs and lots of glue, i had a stick poke a tire once, i think i used 5 or 6 plugs to fix it.Keep checking your air compressor, they take a shit kicking in the quad box, it's nice to have them work when you need it! I carry the co2 cartridges also, they work good also and no moving parts!