PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best deer hunting in the province?

DBM
09-01-2008, 06:41 PM
In your opinion, what MU has the best deer hunting in B.C.? I'm willing to travel within 10 hrs of the lower mainland. The reason I'm asking is my son has turned 10 this year, I took him out today but my spot wasn't what it was last year. Now I'm down to 2 more trips with him due to my work schedule. (3 weeks out at a time:icon_frow)

Avalanche123
09-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Well nothing west or north of Smithers.......:-(

rifleman
09-01-2008, 06:57 PM
If Yer Lookin To Get Him A Mulie. Empire Valley Is Quite Productive & Fairly Easy To Hike Around. Lots Of Two & Three Points In That Area. Its Fairly Open So 200yd. Shots Are Expected. Good Luck!!!!!

reach
09-01-2008, 07:00 PM
I heard it was in Clearwater. :mrgreen:

Avalanche123
09-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I should correct my post as it is inaccurate. The blacktail deer hunting on the Charlottes is very productive and that area is west of Smithers...so I stand corrected.

Gilmore
09-01-2008, 07:54 PM
I heard it was in Clearwater. :mrgreen:

Without a doubt.

Brambles
09-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Princeton, 1,000,000 people from the lower mainland can't be wrong......

cxvalleyman
09-01-2008, 09:02 PM
I heard the clearwater area was.

hunter1947
09-02-2008, 05:47 AM
If your after whitetail I would say anywhere in the EK.

If your after mule deer I would say 5-15.

moosinaround
09-02-2008, 07:03 AM
MU 5, west of hwy 97. West of williams lake, or west of quesnel. Mulies, whitetails. Go a few more hours north to the peace. Huge mulies and whitetails there too, and only 12 hrs. Good luck!! Moosin

HighCountry
09-02-2008, 07:24 AM
around Rockcreek area is not bad for mule & white-tail only about 5 hours drive LML.

blacklab
09-02-2008, 07:44 AM
5-14
5-3
If you can find harvest records for the past few years you would know for sure.

moosinaround
09-02-2008, 08:44 AM
5-14
5-3
If you can find harvest records for the past few years you would know for sure.
5-13 also!

Mr. Dean
09-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Hunting a new area can be challenging. Clearwater Country is real rugged and thick. Many head up and are disapointed on the # of sightings. IMO it's not road hunting terrain unless you're local and can afford the time to play the odd's.

If you're willing to bust brush, get soaked-n-poked and know how to use a map and compass; the area can yield a nice buck - Not a begginers idea of having a good time, for the most part me thinks.....

If ya can find a private landowner that'll let you in and shoot a farm deer (pest), THAT would be the ticket for a 10 year old; in any MU. Call a local CO for more info on this.

Leaseman
09-03-2008, 07:04 AM
You still have this weekend open for youth.... if it was me, I would stay somewhat local.... looks of deer around within 2 hours drive....;-)

rishu_pepper
09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Texada Island :biggrin:

QCI and Vancouver Island both have very healthy population of deers, don't expect monster bucks though..?

DBM
09-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Stuck in camp (I'm a driller), back in 3 weeks. :sad:

Dad and son
09-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I guess to help you out we need to know if you care if your son shoots a white tail or muley. Also will the size of antler matter to him, is he open to shooting a doe? You are willing to travel up to 10 hours so that gets you into most of the southern half of BC. Once we know some more details we can give some more suggestions.

Phreddy
09-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Princeton, 1,000,000 people from the lower mainland can't be wrong......
Unfortunately, that 1,000,000 from the lower mainland are still pinning their hopes on what it was like in Princeton 25 years ago. Stand a better chance of getting shot than shooting anything worthwhile in the area lately. It's become a real "gong show".
Bow season opened this weekend and on my firewood trip Monday afternoon I put out 3 fires left by some of these clowns.
Williams Lake is still a great place for deer.

treeclimber
09-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Last year me and a buddy were in Princeton oct 1st and we were watching some deer and some else shot the little forkhorn we were watching from behind us! Prolly saw 60 trucks and quads up whipsaw a Gong show for sure!

BIGHUNTERFISH
09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately, that 1,000,000 from the lower mainland are still pinning their hopes on what it was like in Princeton 25 years ago. Stand a better chance of getting shot than shooting anything worthwhile in the area lately. It's become a real "gong show".
Bow season opened this weekend and on my firewood trip Monday afternoon I put out 3 fires left by some of these clowns.
Williams Lake is still a great place for deer.

I have to totally disagree with you on the Princeton area the Tulameen is a huge area and 90 percent of the guys are road hunters ,if you get out of the truck and hunt the slashes at first light and do some glassing then you will see lots of deer and few if any hunters ,the bigger bucks dont hang around the roads ,its the small 2 points that are getting shot.We get our deer every year out of this area and we have never seen more deer than in the last 5 years.

Mr. Dean
09-04-2008, 11:58 AM
I have to totally disagree with you on the Princeton area the Tulameen is a huge area and 90 percent of the guys are road hunters ,if you get out of the truck and hunt the slashes at first light and do some glassing then you will see lots of deer and few if any hunters ,the bigger bucks dont hang around the roads ,its the small 2 points that are getting shot.We get our deer every year out of this area and we have never seen more deer than in the last 5 years.

I have yet to see a mountain that didn't hold 'nice' deer..... It's at the cost of effort IMO that determines this.
When it comes to deer, our forests are like a popcorn popper. :mrgreen:

4 point
09-04-2008, 02:25 PM
When November 1st comes and it's 4 point only, the weather starts to get a bit tough a high percentage of road hunters, espeacially those with only 2 wheel drive tend to really disappear fast. A lot less younger hunters out and guys who think just driving around will do the trick. Any buck season is a gong show in some places for sure. Get off the roads a walk and you'll be surprised at what you'll see.