PDA

View Full Version : Do you use scent?

tikkat3
09-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I have never used it, does it work?

hunter1947
09-01-2008, 04:12 PM
You darn rights scent works ,I smell like a bull elk in full rut when I am after them old bulls.

All game animals have a sniffer that can smell you a long ways away ,thats why I use the scent to help cover up my human scent.

happygilmore
09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
I've spooked deer with buck scents so I stick to cover scent now... ie spruce or earth. pull some spruce or pine needles off shove some in your pockets, crush some of them and rub your hands together... cheap and works well.

Avalanche123
09-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Funny thing I opened a bottle of cow elk urine yesterday and it smelled the same as the doe urine I have used before....hmmmm

Makes me wonder just how much of a gimmick it really is.

That said, I'll be buying some cow elk uring for my upcoming elk hunt next week.

tikkat3
09-01-2008, 08:47 PM
so do you seriously put the buck scent on your clothes then? I have used the earth smelling spray and have used scent free, no uv detergent, etc.

What about scents for moose, is it the same kind of thing as for deer then?

BCRiverBoater
09-01-2008, 09:22 PM
I know lots of guys who use it ans swear by it. But I have killed a lot of elk and we have never tried it. Also do not even wear camo 75% of the time.

Mik
09-01-2008, 09:37 PM
I've spooked deer with buck scents so I stick to cover scent now... ie spruce or earth. pull some spruce or pine needles off shove some in your pockets, crush some of them and rub your hands together... cheap and works well.

X2, I use only the earth scent and it works excellent.

happygilmore
09-01-2008, 10:02 PM
If you do decide to use scent... tip- just add a couple drops onto your boots if you put bull moose scent on your clothes you'll probably gag.
some 'take the urine out of the buck from last year but I don't think it will keep till next season.
I've even heard of guys rolling around in a rutting moose cape to get their scent on them...I think I'm going to upchuck just thinking about the rank stank.

FlyingHigh
09-01-2008, 10:38 PM
i wash my hunting camo in that scentless detergent, and occasionally spray a scent cover on when i'm hunting. other than that, nope. then again, i haven't shot any deer yet, so that might be my problem. :D

mcrae
09-02-2008, 06:09 AM
I use the cover scent wafers but I think guys are fooling themselves if they actually think a deer,elk,moose,bear will not detect them because of scents and sprays. I think its important to make sure you use laundry detergent designed with hunters in mind though...

sneg
09-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I think artificial scent has same effect on game as artificial bait on fish.try to compare natural and artificial and you'll see the difference. But sometimes scent may work out of buck's curiousity. personally i use scent free detergent and try to keep clothes on air. some spruce and pine will help. i do not believe in masking scent. You know one fellow asked another fellow :"what is wrong with you? you smell like a crap... why don't you wash youself with some nice soap?" well , second guy went and got expensive soap ,which smells like a pine. After bath he came to first guy and asked :"how do i smell now ?" First guy replied:"well ,smells like somebody take crap under pine"... so , i would say ellimination of your own odor is the key.

rocksteady
09-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I use cover scent when hunting elk....Liberally apply the cow-in-estrous urine all over me, and also put 2 scent wafers on my hat.....Its not that bad once you get used to it.....

Later on, once the rut is in full bloom I will sometimes switch to bull-in-rut urine, to be more aggressive to a herd bull..

killman
09-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Here is a little tip. What you do is light one of those burning scents in your truck on the way to your hunting spot. By the time you get there you won't smell human anymore.:mrgreen:

ursus
09-02-2008, 08:39 PM
The best scent is natural! I cut off the glands on the hinds of Deer. You can freeze and reuse for many years of use. Gets them nice and close. They are simply the best for Deer hunting.

tikkat3
09-02-2008, 09:57 PM
jesus those glands stink...

hunter1947
09-03-2008, 03:04 AM
I use cover scent when hunting elk....Liberally apply the cow-in-estrous urine all over me, and also put 2 scent wafers on my hat.....Its not that bad once you get used to it.....

Later on, once the rut is in full bloom I will sometimes switch to bull-in-rut urine, to be more aggressive to a herd bull..

I'm with you on this one Mike :wink:.