PDA

View Full Version : Man's best friend?

Billiam
08-31-2008, 08:38 PM
What do you experienced hunters think about one member of our hunting party wishing to bring his dog with him? We are travelling to the Kootenays from the lower mainland where we will set up camp and spend a couple of weeks spotting, stalking, calling and hopefully harvesting some elk. I think dogs and ducks...by all means. Dogs and elk or deer...not such a good idea. Let me know what the judgement should be ..http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif or http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif.Thanks.

mcrae
08-31-2008, 08:42 PM
We had a buddy bring his dog this spring on our bear hunt and it was a pain in the ass. The dog go into everything ate all kinds of whatever it found and then was puking constantly....

I think if its a well trained dog with an owner who actually pays attention it may be different but I sure would not want it around when I was hunting..

BigBanger
08-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Depends on the dog. My dog sure. A pain in the ass dog that cant sit and gard camp for hours without running off or having to come no thanks . I guess it cant be a needy dog . My 2 cents .

Sitkaspruce
08-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Mine comes with me while guiding, hunting on my own or with friends. She has found a few animals for me, keeps the camp free of critters and has detered a couple of two legged camp robbers. She does stay in camp most of the time, has come in the bush and helped me get two moose by spotting them first.

If it is good dog why not.

SS

anglo-saxon
08-31-2008, 08:54 PM
My dogs are very well trained and I think the world of them, but I would never take them on a hunt, if only out of consideration for my fellow hunters. Nor would I place fellow hunters in the position of possibly feeling awkward about the situation by asking them such a thing.

I take my dogs camping. They're handy for "perimiter watch", etc., and I take them hiking all the time. But hunting? No thanks!

moosinaround
08-31-2008, 08:59 PM
My golden i would take with me everywhere!! He was the best dog I have ever had!! Now my black lab I have now, she is stubborn, and doesn't listen as well as my golden did. She will soon though, thats why she stays at home when we are on the hunt! I am introducing her slowly to new things! Moosin

ElkMasterC
08-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Nope.

I used to take mine with me.
If I left him at my buddy's house in penticton, he'd destroy anything he could reach, outta frustration.
When I took him with me, I'd run him up the mountain in the dark, get him tired, and then he'd sleep in the back of the pick-up while I went a-wandering.
That worked fine until he saw a four point Mulie, ripped out the screens, and took off after him. No more hunting trips for HIM!
Plus, he's over 80% Wolf, and if anyone saw him, I'm sure he'd get at least shot at...even tho he's a creampuff....if you only knew him.
Then, if he did get shot, I'd end up in jail for beating a man to death with his own leg. Then I'd feel shame.
So as you see, it's just not worth it. ;-)

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/sqtiny.gif

Oops..that ain't him..that's me at Wreck beach.

This is him:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj313/Heliox18/scan0001.jpg

houndogger
08-31-2008, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't leave the yard without dogs:razz:

MIL720
08-31-2008, 09:10 PM
If I were going by myself, ya...With a group of buddies, no way...

browningboy
08-31-2008, 09:18 PM
About 8 years ago a old friend of mine took his dog and shoved him in the box (canopy on), we were in Fernie and decided to take a day hunt in Sparwood for elk, it was the third week of Sept, the elk were calling and so we decide to go up a logging road, turn the corner and two nice whitey's and then it opened up to a slash and lone and behold cow elk! There were approx 14 or so, we backed up and turned around and while he was turning I got out and slipped into the tree line while the cows were paying attention to the truck, so I hear my buddy slowing leading away so I let out a bleak, and get a immediate response, walk about 30 feet (slowly) and bugle, and the herd bull called back, he was just in the tree line, so everything is getting hot and heavy and I see my partner and WTF! The dog starts yelping and whining / barking.....elk gone....I had a 250 grain for that POS!
If one is bird hunting, fine a dog is good but for the real macoy, leave the mutt at home, it just attracts bears anyhow.

Moosenose
08-31-2008, 09:21 PM
It depends on the dog.
Most dogs are very disruptive when it comes to big game hunting. They get excited and want to chase, make a bunch of noise, bark and chase critters away.
I take my dog with me quite a bit, but not always. He is trained on hand signals, will sneak like a cat, and I have had him with me stalking up close.

You better sit down with all of those going and talk about it.
Let me know where you are going and I will be in the next valley over waiting for the stampede.

TIKA 300
08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
See why i hunt SOLO,so as not to have these problems LOL !!!!!

If a friend took his dog and wouldnt control it,he would be hunting solo with the dog.

GoatGuy
08-31-2008, 09:34 PM
My dog comes every time. The only time she isn't allowed in the field is wt hunting and late season mule deer otherwise she comes for everything. Most of the time she smells game before we see it and sometimes she spots it first. She knows when to go into hunting mode and keeps the bears away from camp or dead game.

Wouldn't go hunting without her.

Jetboat
08-31-2008, 09:40 PM
My German Shepard was a great companion and joined me on hunts (especially solo Stone sheep)with no problems. A friend who hunts the grizzly infested Muskwa would never think of going without his little buddy. Great early warning devise, that one. On other other hand, I hunted with a buddy (once) who had NO control over his damn dog. The damn thing would roam WAY out front and chase off everything it came across. All we saw for moose on that trip were fresh tracks with dog prints on top of 'em. It was a great camp mutt and thats where it shoulda stayed.

Barracuda
08-31-2008, 10:00 PM
I took my old spanial with me all the time. Go hunt the morning take him out in the afternoon for some chickens and then leave him in camp to go hunt the late afternoone evening. he was never a bother or a problem. the hounds are a different story but as long as they have somewhere to sleep (dog box or with us) they are not too bad in fact the wifes is really no trouble at all and is content rideing in the cab and sleeping in it when we are gone.

It really depends on the dog and owner , we are dog folks so we take alot of time to deal with our animals but i do know there are some dogs that are difficult to train just like there are some owners that have great difficulty learning ..

if the dog handles well then i dont see an issue.

hunter1947
09-01-2008, 04:52 AM
Scott last year brought his dog named trigger.

It is a chocolate 2 year old lab.

It was no problems with this dog in our camp.

Trigger is Scott's avatar name on this site.
The dog was real good around the camp in the evenings ,it layed down beside me an was quit all night long.
When me and Scott went for a elk hunt trigger would get in the back of his truck and just sit there till we got to our hunting area.

When we got there Scott would make sure the canopy was closed and then we went off hunting ,trigger his dog just layed down and did not do any barking.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Shop_Fishing_Trip_with_Daughtera_2007_Hunt_055.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10335)

If your dog is not a yapper I would say take him on this trip you won't be disappointed.

Don't forget dogs are mans best friend.
Scott holding a grouse that trigger caught from the ground when we where packing out his elk last year.

Little Hawk
09-01-2008, 06:15 AM
I've read more than once about dogs chasing off after bears then having the bear get pissed at the dog then turn and chase the mutt back into camp.

Just what a guy needs, a pissed off bear in camp.

Hard to argue against taking along a 'well-trained' dog though.

Dick-head dogs are, more so, a reflection of their dick-head owners.

In the end, I agree; it's all about respect for your fellow hunters.

trigger
09-01-2008, 07:15 AM
thanks wayne

yeah i wouldnt leave home with out my dog. i do make sure i keep an eye on my dog at all times though. to me that was the reason i got a dog was so i could take him to camp and have that company. just my two cents

sawmill
09-01-2008, 07:22 AM
I have a great dog named Wiley and he listens well and he`s big and tough and quiet and I would not even think about bringing him on a hunt with other guys,just out of respect for them.Not to mention that if I bring him some guys going to want to bring his POS barking gamechaser.It just cuts down on the bullshit,I`m there to hunt,not have a dog show.
That being said,I also hunt alone 99% of the time.Cuts down on the bullshit as well.

Swamp Donkey
09-01-2008, 07:42 AM
I wouldn't take the dog unless it had practically grew up around hunting and hunting camps. If you don't want to share your camp with someone else's dog...speak up, tactfully of course. It's your hunting trip too.

newhunterette
09-01-2008, 07:59 AM
when hunting with other people - I think the dogs can stay at home

when hunting alone - my dogs would behave and stay in the truck

I wold not even consider asking friends if they minded me bringing my dogs - just out of curtousy for the trip as well as lack of space - get 4 guys in the wall tent plus 2 relatively large dogs - not gonna happen

but again it all depends on the dogs and behaviors

If one of the guys we hunted with asked to bring their dogs with us - I would just say sure but we will bring our Zoo as well as so and so's dog etc. - I am sure they would get the picture of sorry "no Dogs" this trip thanks

if a dog has been on trips since puppyhood and been trained appropriately, go for it but if they want to bring "Fido" because he/she can't be away from their pooch for a few days then time to rethink the proiorities.

Ubertuber
09-01-2008, 08:04 AM
As others have said, it depends on the dog and the owner. I take mine along, but she stays in camp while we're out hunting. That said, during the mid day grouse hunt she is front and centre.

Gun Dog
09-01-2008, 08:13 AM
I always took my dog (Irish Setter). I just left her in the truck or the trailer. She was into birds and squirrels so chasing game was never an issue. My hunting partner brought his two Goldens so there were lots of dogs (and cats) in camp and it was all good.

Like others said; it's all about their attitude and behaviour. I guess that goes for hunting partners too. :)

Deaddog
09-01-2008, 08:31 AM
nope, tell him to leave the dog at home, if he wants to hunt with his dog, he should organize the camp and set the conditions prior to the hunt.

Fisher-Dude
09-01-2008, 08:42 AM
It depends on the dog and the situation. When I'm hunting solo, mine is with me 99% of the time, and he spots more game than I do (sight hound). I've trained him in tracking downed game too. I won't be taking him elk hunting this year because he would be spending too much time locked in the camper while I'm out, and if I head up overnight for rams or billies, he won't be having much fun. A well-behaved dog is great to have, a PITA dog is a PITA.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Hpim0321.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Hpim0317fix.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/01860001.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/01860010.jpg

Rob
09-01-2008, 08:56 AM
I would ask him if he has a back up plan for if his dog misbehaves. You've waited all year for this hunt. Rob

Avalanche123
09-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Nice looking dogs on here guys!

If a dog were to come, it must be well behaved. Something like "seen but not heard". I do think you need group consensus on this or your trip won't be too fun.

I took my guy everywhere when I hunted solo. I would not take him if others went as he wasn't the best listener..!

hunter1947
09-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Trigger would not go out on a hunt with us ,like I said he would stay in the canopy till we returned ,trigger was a well behaved dog.

It is nice to have a dog when around camp when your day of hunting has been completed.

Having a dog in camp also alerts you if something is around your camp ,lets face it were not hunting when where in our hunting camp and this dog trigger is not a yapper..

If trigger came back into our camp I would open up my arms to have him stay ones again.

Avalanche123
09-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Trigger sounds like a better hunting partner than some people I know! :)

Billiam
09-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the feedback ladies and gentlemen. I'm thinking a little sit down is required to plan some ground rules for the upcoming trip regarding the dogs position in camp.

wolverine
09-01-2008, 11:34 AM
I love dogs, however, unless it stays in camp and it's well behaved, don't bring it. I work for a living and put aside X amount of time for hunting every year in which I expect to harvest my game for the year. If your dog screws up my hunt and loses my animal for me how are you going to make that all better? How are you going to replace the holiday time I had to take? How are you going to compensate me for the cost of the fuel, etc.? I love my dogs. I think they're great. You may not. Would you bring a screaming, whining , misbehaving 5 year old kid on a hunting trip? Maybe so but you wouldn't be hunting out of my camp. If you hunt with your family the decision is yours. If you hunt with others, be considerate and leave the dog at home.

Bullmoose
09-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Bringing a new member to a hunting camp whether it has two or four legs is a decision for the hunting party, I love dogs but wouldn't think of bringing mine unless everyone was in full agreement.

Barracuda
09-01-2008, 06:53 PM
You know whats funny
I have heard the same things about bringing a woman along on hunting trips LOL!

Moosenose
09-01-2008, 07:38 PM
You know whats funny

In my case, they usually come together.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/BaileyAp19-08.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10347&limit=recent)

and I sure do like having her around!

(dog is a male, the her I am referring to is the wife, man's best friend)

BANG!
09-01-2008, 11:05 PM
just in case it doesn't work out - do you need a tag for a German Short Haired pointer? :razz:

newhunterette
09-01-2008, 11:32 PM
You know whats funny

careful mister - you're walking on thin ice in that territory:mad: hehehehehehe:)

Barracuda
09-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Its true, the amount of guys that dont want a woman on a hunting trip is astounding .
I really dont understand why?

ElkMasterC
09-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Cuz if one guy brings his better half, then the next guy will, and the next, and then the yard apes...and then ya have to watch the cuss words, and the off-colour jokes, and the farting........sooner or later, you're back at home, but with a fire in the living room, and what's the point of going to the bush in the first place with the Buds? There's Family Time, and there's Fart Camp.
They can't all be as cool as NewHunterette...shame, really... ;-)

4570hunter
09-02-2008, 12:03 AM
I had a two great dogs well trained and electronic collar for the bush. Weimaraner dogs instinctively are hunters and after being let loose in the bush would criss cross and drive animals towards me. Deer ran everywhere and right towards me.
So would other animals like bears. I always hunted alone usually got three deer a season. They were great animals to have around. However I don't think I would trust other hunters in my camp or with my dogs. When I had only one dog left she could find bears and the chase would be on. Would I like to see dogs in my camp maybe but only if the dog was a camp dog. My new dog is a horse and he's great. walking along one night and its pitch black and a bear and her cubs that I don't see is on the path. Horse stops I figure somethings up ahead shine a light and eyes looking right back. Had I been walking I would of been done like dinner. Bears moved on and so did the horse
I like animals that know how to be in the bush and not as a pet. Animals have to work in the bush to earn there keep or end up as stew dinner IMHO.

locdog_99
09-02-2008, 07:19 PM
i take my dog hunting i built a box on my quad and he lays in there while i drive

Poguebilt
09-02-2008, 07:49 PM
just in case it doesn't work out - do you need a tag for a German Short Haired pointer? :razz:

find out and what does it cost for one!

300H&H
09-02-2008, 08:01 PM
You invited the hunter, NOT the dog.

With that said if everyone in the hunting party is ok with the dog coming, great.

Wolfman
09-02-2008, 09:41 PM
I think it would depend on how well trained/disciplined the pooch was. I've seen some pretty amazingly well controlled/behaved dogs (usually older ones) in my life. My old girl Brin, a Briard, is mellow as heck and I take her all over. The only thing she really hates is chihuahuas for some reason ;-)

Wolfman

newhunterette
09-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Its true, the amount of guys that dont want a woman on a hunting trip is astounding .
I really dont understand why?

I don't either Cuda - I mean I understand the whole MAN RETREAT thing as us ladies have our retreats too but sheesh if ya would prefer snuggling up to your hunting buddy instead of your wife then I think there is more to this whole hunting/fishing brokeback thing than the movie showed hehehehehehehehe

Cuz if one guy brings his better half, then the next guy will, and the next, and then the yard apes...and then ya have to watch the cuss words, and the off-colour jokes, and the farting........sooner or later, you're back at home, but with a fire in the living room, and what's the point of going to the bush in the first place with the Buds? There's Family Time, and there's Fart Camp.
They can't all be as cool as NewHunterette...shame, really...

ElkmasterC - ohhhhhhh baby bring it on, cusshttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/censored.gif, off colour jokes, passing windhttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/fart.gif and burpin - you start - i'll join in hehehehe "oops" sorry Mom forgot I am supposed to be a ladyhttp://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/moon.gif

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/offtopic.gifdagnabbit went off the topic again sorry

back to the topic of bringin dogs into the camp etc.

ElkMasterC
09-15-2008, 01:57 PM
LMAO.

You're on!

Ron.C
09-15-2008, 02:28 PM
If it were me wanting to bring my dog I would say regardless of how well behaved the dog is, it is ultimately up to the other hunters in camp and if any of them have a problem with it, the dog would stay at home.

steelheadSABO
09-15-2008, 03:35 PM
my dog would chase every thing that moved