PDA

View Full Version : elk in 7-07

huntermike
08-31-2008, 01:20 PM
I have an any elk leh in reg 7-07 for jan- feb on private land only or 2000m within that land and was wondering if any one out there could give me any help or info.Is there a large population of elk in this region?I am mostly a meat hunter so I would be happy to take a cow.Any help or info would be greatly appreciated THANKS MIKE!

BCrams
08-31-2008, 02:12 PM
That new LEH hunt cracked me up when it came out. With exception of the LEH areas like 7-13 around Vanderhoof / Fort St James (where the elk population is higher and more private land). Most of the LEH units listed have very little private land and elk numbers are spotty.

The "only" private land in 7-07 is around the community of Willow River and there are some elk out there - the rest of 7-07 including south of the highway has no private land. That said, you could easily come out here and spend 2 weeks and still not see an elk.

Best of luck with your LEH hunt......I personally would just head a few more hours north and hunt the Peace for cow elk if thats really what you're after.

moosinaround
08-31-2008, 02:50 PM
I would see if you could contact someone at the MOE. There must be a need for this hunt??, and maybe one of the CO's or a local biologist could point you in the right direction. I am not sure if they have a Producers list created like they do in the peace. I put in for the 7-10 LEH elk draw, but was unsucessful. Good luck! Moosin

CanuckShooter
09-01-2008, 08:11 AM
So...your the guy that got MY leh draw?? :frown:

We own 160 acres bi-sected by the Willow River....in 7-07/7-09...and Rams is correct there are some elk around but not many. We don't hunt our property [or allow others in] on the 07 side, but we do hunt the 09 side of the river. The fact is that was a 'long-shot insurance' LEH to apply for....good luck.

jml11
09-01-2008, 10:19 PM
So...your the guy that got MY leh draw?? :frown:

We own 160 acres bi-sected by the Willow River....in 7-07/7-09...and Rams is correct there are some elk around but not many. We don't hunt our property [or allow others in] on the 07 side, but we do hunt the 09 side of the river. The fact is that was a 'long-shot insurance' LEH to apply for....good luck.

is this the ranch on the Beaver FSR, just past the willow river bridge I believe? I know there is some private land right along the beaver FSR in 7-07 and there are Elk around there, seen photos of a bull that was rumoured to be poached around there and have a buddy who ran into a herd (with a nice bull) along the road . It's mostly dense bush with few spur roads along the Beaver FSR and as a result there are probably more elk there than people think. Having said that, Elk are still fairly elusive around PG, even veteran PG's have trouble finding them, I think this new Region 7a Elk draw is one of those LEH draws that should be left to the locals as you need the connections and local knowledge to find the elk, especially within 2000m of private land! Not saying you shouldn't try, you may get lucky! After all that's why it's called hunting!

huntermike
09-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all the info guys ,doesnt sound all that encourageing but I'm sure a trip to pg in jan/feb will be a great adventure(which is really what hunting is all about) even if I dont see any elk at all.happy hunting MIKE.

moosinaround
09-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Don't forget to bring snowshoes and/or a snowmobile! LOTS of snow!! Good luck!! Moosin

BCrams
09-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Keep in mind also this:

This isn't the Peace country. A lot of areas are not being logged adjacent to private property. Hence, plan on having snowshoes and snow machine (double check the legality of snowmachine??) .....very few roads if any backroads adjacent to crown land (the ones that give access to within 2000 meters of private property) are plowed these days .....

Which means - you will want to have access to private land where the owner may or may not have elk in his feed.

But you're right! Its hunting! Come on up and enjoy the hunt!

curt
09-02-2008, 06:32 PM
last year heading up north we were driving the hwy around dragon lake there are some farmer fields in the area we seen elk hanging in on the tree line so there are some around for sure.

killman
09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but why would someone put in a LEH for a draw in the middle of winter when temps could be -40 and 6 feet of snow in a area that you know nothing about? I would say in my experience with private property owners around here is that unless you really know them (good friend or relative)they are not going to let you hunt there.

jml11
09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
last year heading up north we were driving the hwy around dragon lake there are some farmer fields in the area we seen elk hanging in on the tree line so there are some around for sure.

Dragon Lake is in Region 5 No elk hunting there.....yet...:wink: