PDA

View Full Version : Stone sheep trip 2008

srupp
08-31-2008, 10:26 AM
I would like to thank all those who have posted about stone sheep , the information has been read and re -read many times by myself.The pitfalls about aging a ram by anuli, as well as success in harvesting stoners and success in just being in the mountains amongst the sheep.

I have been successful in seeing stone sheep and rams every year..just not big enough and so I have been successful without the harvesting.
BIGWHITIES and all who have posted regarding gear has gave me time and information to change the gear to what I consider is optimum for the type of hunting and the TIME of the trip..There have been the "PM'S" about favorite sheep places by some tremendously knowlegable and successful sheep hunters whose oppinion I value immensly, and to them I say a heartfelt THANK -YOU..

This year I have 2 others joining the mountain adventure and perhaps 3 will make a difference with the extra spotting..and encouraging each other on.David and George will make this year a WE... and not a ME trip..and the company will be appreciated , as well George HAS shot sheep before and this will complete his "slam" when we get our rams.

The equipment has been selected for quality and lightness so as to allow us to stay in there regardless of the weather and give it our best effort..

I know gear isnt everything however it removes the elements and weather from the "excuse " list and frees us up for hunting regardless..it doesnt hurt having great equipment.

As well, the information about stones that make them different from the CALI sheep I am used to hunted also tremendously helps our trip, again thank you .

One cant harvest a ram from the couch..however I have dreamed of success in harvesting during many many nites sleep..

So ..gear has been bought and tested..food has been purchased and packed..SPOT unit has new batteries..:roll: custom ammo courtosy of "CARIBOO" thank you, SIR.. has been tried and dead on..rifle and new Leupold vari-x 111..with Boone and Crocket reticle dialed in.. everthing has been tested and re tested..lists gone over and then checked again..

The "homework " is over ....the waiting has commenced..only made harder by the TREMENDOUS photos from some great rams..and soon our effort will determain the outcome.

This is a great site with so much knowlege and experience..on every aspect of the outdoors..the little I have added here and there pales in comparison to what I learn every trip to the computer..not all hunts can be the ones you are familliar with..give me a grizzly tag and its so much different(but thats OCTOBERS HUNT..:biggrin: )or a CALI sheep hunt ..but personal growth includes trying new things AND never giving up..

THANK YOU ladies and Gentlemen..for everything and ALL you have provided in encouragment, knowlege , advise, suggestions and FRIENDSHIPS..it is appreciated from the heart, failure is only the failure to TRY...

Cheers

Steven..also from George and David

hunter1947
08-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Srupp I hope you get a brusher of a sheep on your late sheep hunt.
Good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Blainer
08-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Best of luck.
Look forward to the pictures.

bsa30-06
08-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Good Luck Steven.....and never doubt the knowledge you have provided on this site,its guys like you who provide their knowledge and willingness to help out others that make HBC the best hunting site on the internet.Lookin forward to your sucess pictures, best of luck, and have a safe trip.

08-31-2008, 10:47 AM
Go get em Steven,
I got my Stone on my 9th trip over 12 years making sure I wasn't shooting an illegal one, what an experience !
Best of luck to you, be careful and have a great adventure !

C/T

tomahawk
08-31-2008, 11:20 AM
All the best Steven, you have the equipment well looked after, while on the mountain make sure you keep the mind looked after as well.

Avalanche123
08-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Cool post srupp. Best of luck to you. I amsure I can say that we all look forward to seeing the pics of your ram(s) and the story behind it!

PS Are George and David HBC members? (Sounds like they are...)

Go get em!

MB_Boy
08-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Good luck and have a great, safe trip.

Look forward to the tales and pics when you get back!

Gateholio
08-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Good luck!!

Take lots of pictures, and make sure you have lots of fun!:-P

Mtnhunter
08-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Like you said Steve,
You've already been successful! A nice stone will be a well deserved bonus! I too have gained valuable knowledge from your posts!
Good Luck!!!!

newhunterette
08-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Best of luck Steven, Dave and George

Steven, with your knowledge and your big heart to give so much of yourself as well as your encouragement of others

come back to us safe and sound and a BIG DAM STONE SHEEP TROPHY richer

can't wait to hear about your adventures and see the incredible pics you share so unselfishly :)

hugs Ali

moosinaround
08-31-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey good luck! I'm throwing out the good sheep karma for you guys!! play safe and enjoy the province we are so lucky to have and call ours!! Can't wait for the pics. and the big shit eating grins!! Moosin

longwalk
08-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Good post, good luck, be safe and have fun.

quadrakid
08-31-2008, 07:42 PM
good luck steve,have a safe trip and take home some good memories and maybe even a ram! you,re living the dream just going sheep hunting.

Springer
08-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Good Luck and play safe Elmer !! This is the year of success for that Stone Ram. You may have to enlarge the Trophy/Cool room after this one for future critters on the wall. Can't wait for pictures.

Cheers

BigBanger
09-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Good luck boys . Go getem .

mountainman
09-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Best of luck to you guys!! Being one of the most generous people I know you deserve a monster ram!! Remember that if you get a good ram I want a call when you come through FSJ so I can drive up and see it. And buy you a Timmies!

gameslayer
09-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Good Luck Steve,
You sound pumped and prepared. Can't wait to see some pictures.

BCRiverBoater
09-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Yes...good luck and bring back that bruiser. Can't wait to see the pictures.

killman
09-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Go Gitter Done Boys!

srupp
09-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks GUYS..appreciate all the good wishes..also MUST thank Susan for allowing me all the new gear..encouraging me to get "the best" and allowing me 80 days of hunting this fall..without any complaint at all..hmmmm
steven