PDA

View Full Version : Got My First Trip Planned!

FlyingHigh
08-30-2008, 09:11 PM
ok, so i just met up with a buddy, and we've planned our first trip of the season. we'll be heading to the Loon Lake (3-30) area on Oct 3 and hunting until the evening of Oct 5. it'll just be a 2 day trip because that's all the time we can take right now. i'll be looking for my first big game animal! i am so jacked up right now, it's not even funny. :mrgreen: i'm really looking forward to it. i've got some info to go off of that some members here have given me in the past year, so i can try that again. any tips for that area? and yes, we'll be getting out of the truck and walking. :twisted:

hillclimber
08-30-2008, 09:22 PM
well good luck on your first big game animal. I'll be heading up there on the thanksgiving long weekend or the weekend after so let me know how you guys did.

Are you gonna be hunting spike fork moose or mulies or both?

FlyingHigh
08-30-2008, 09:32 PM
we'll just be hunting mulies and grouse. if we get bored, we might call some coyotes if the season is open on them. i haven't looked at the regs for that yet. if it's not, we might just call them in for shits, giggles and pictures.

hillclimber
08-30-2008, 09:42 PM
well i think the grouse are extra dumb there so that should be in you favor and the yotes are open in from september to march with no bag limit (i think) and once again hope you connect on on some big game. g' luck

hunter1947
08-31-2008, 05:17 AM
FH good luck on taking a mule deer this Oct ,sounds like your pumped http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

Little Hawk
08-31-2008, 06:04 AM
Howdy FH,

Hunted just west of Loon Lk right near the Hwy just south of Clinton back in the late 70's early 80's. Drove in off the Hwy. through a place called the Knapweed Ruins Grasslands; hard to forget a name like that. Hunted in there along the Bonaparte R. three or four times and didn't get dick. This was during my apprenticeship years and I usually managed to do all the wrong things.

Saw the Northern-Lights up there for the first time in my life. I was awestruck.

Best of Luck to you and your Buddy and be sure to let us know how you did.

Cheers,
Terry

FlyingHigh
08-31-2008, 11:28 AM
well i think the grouse are extra dumb there so that should be in you favor and the yotes are open in from september to march with no bag limit (i think) and once again hope you connect on on some big game. g' luck

i've actually found the grouse kind of smart. stop the truck, they start eyeballing you, get out and they start waddling to the underbrush. rack a round, and they start running. you have one shot, or you keep an eye on them until they settle into the underbrush and take your shot when they stop to look back.

i've been hunting that area for a couple times a year for three years. i've seen a couple deer way down the pipeline, too far to see if any were a buck or not, gotten close to a couple does, and seen quite a few bouncing rear ends. even came across a black bear with cubs the first year. i know there's game up there. i've seen plenty of guys coming down with it. i just can't seem to connect. this year will be different. i can feel it. i'll be walking alot more, going deeper into the woods and going places i haven't gone yet. i just have a good feeling about this season. i'll probably be back in the same area over the Thanksgiving weekend. one of these trips, i'll get my buck! :D

08-31-2008, 02:06 PM
If success is what your after, hunt early morning and evening for sure if not all day long, if still hunting get the wind in your favor for sure, and when you think your going slow slow down some more.
Take any legal buck for your first. Bull moose are 2 points or less so look close even when your thinking it's a cow, look for small spikes, I shot one that had 9 inch spikes and were very hard to spot, it just looked like a big calf. MAKE SURE you I.D. the critter well and take your time on the shot, a lost or illegal animal would certainly spoil your experience.
Once the lead starts flying your odds will go down extremely. So take any legal one for your first. Don't be fussy.
Good luck
C/T

FlyingHigh
08-31-2008, 02:27 PM
thanks for the tips curly top. :) i think the plan is to hunt hard all day, every day. i'm not too picky on the size of my first buck. i would like it to be decent though. but i'll take whatever steps out of the bush first, be it a spike buck or a nice 6 point. :D

hillclimber
08-31-2008, 04:50 PM
i've actually found the grouse kind of smart. stop the truck, they start eyeballing you, get out and they start waddling to the underbrush. rack a round, and they start running. you have one shot, or you keep an eye on them until they settle into the underbrush and take your shot when they stop to look back.

hmm thats interesting because all of the grouse i've taken from there just stand in the middle of the road and do not move what so ever. i take my sweet time with em.

Last year when my buddy was road hunting there was a grouse in the middle of the road and wouldn't move so he floored it and then stopped 200yrds down the road to see if it was underneath his truck and sure enough it was sitting on his axle and he's got pictures to prove it too lol

FlyingHigh
08-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Last year when my buddy was road hunting there was a grouse in the middle of the road and wouldn't move so he floored it and then stopped 200yrds down the road to see if it was underneath his truck and sure enough it was sitting on his axle and he's got pictures to prove it too lolhahaha! that's great! yeah, i dunno, maybe they just don't trust me. lol. i know in Whistler when we were hiking there, my brother was chucking rocks at a group of them, seeing how close he could get before the moved. he had to hit the stupid thing before it even looked at him. :D i've also heard of people saving ammo by just using their as stick as a baseball bat and smacking the birds upside the head. redneck t-ball kind of thing. :twisted:

08-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Funny ya say that cause some good old timer friends of mine did just that..
"while decoying one with a hat the other guy swated it out of the air as it took flight with a Paddle .... too funny "
Go get em and good luck !
C/T