PDA

View Full Version : Coquihalla Lakes

Holmes
08-30-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm planning on taking my wife and little boy up near Tulameen for a week of holidays Nov.10-15. I was thinking that since I'm up that way I might try a few day trips and see if I might be able to get myself a buck. Couple of questions for anyone who's got some experience in that area. Since blacktail will be closed at that time I was considering taking Lawless FSR over to the Coquihalla lakes area and taking a look there. I'm wondering how difficult that road is, and if the coqhilla summit rec area is open to hunting at that time of year? Is this worth taking a look at or is there enough white tail bucks in the Tulameen area that I should just spend some time there?
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated....thanks.

DBM
08-30-2008, 01:18 PM
I would think there'd be too much snow that time of year to do any real travelling on those roads.

Holmes
08-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Am i gonna run into trouble even with 4x4? Is there a lot of whitetail in the Tulameen area? If there is I may just stick around there.

locdog_99
08-30-2008, 04:29 PM
tulameen has lots of mule deer and whitetail

BigfishCanada
08-30-2008, 04:56 PM
There are big bucks in that area during that time, We have tagged many times in that area at that time

johnk
08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
You may run into lots of snow or you may run into no snow! Try Pike Mtn. near Tulameen or Thynne Mtn. near Brookmere. Good luck!

4pointer
08-30-2008, 06:07 PM
There is lots of big bucks in that area at that time. Accessibility will be uncertain. There is plenty snow(like 4 ft), even with 4wd, and chains, it may not be worth the trip. I'd bring along tow rope if you dont got a winch or a come-a-long. Just drivin along the roads aint gonna find you no bucks so for that time, a snowmobile would be extremely good as your quad will bottom out on most hills. Good luck hunting, 4pointer

srupp
08-30-2008, 06:43 PM
hmmmm doesnt LEASEMAN hunt up there??

Steven

Blainer
08-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm thinking you may have a problem as the mule deer rifle season is closed Nov.10th.
Whitetail is still open,but they are few and far between.

BCLongshot
08-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I agree with Blainer and snow could be nothing or tons.

Nice area though.

Holmes
08-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I may poke around up there a bit....but looks like we'll just have to use this week as a vacation instead.
Thanks again.

Leaseman
08-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Last year we had no snow in the area (well less than 6") when we did our late season youth, but that is not the norm.....

To give you an idea, the guides and wranglers pull out of the "high" country after Thanksgiving as you are so Hiigh up that you don't know what will happen overnight!! We have hunted that general are for more than 25 years and have on many an occassion gone to bed with a warm night happening and woken up to 12" or more of snow.... not a fun place to get out of when you have snow on the ground...

Just my .02 worth.....

Mike