PDA

View Full Version : Those Elk are Talking!

elkdom
08-29-2008, 08:30 AM
this mornig I left the house early, 5 am, very cool this morning only 2 above, drive out to the elk zone, takes me about 15 minutes, nasty bumpy trail lots of puddles and ruts, park the 'Yota , grab my rifle, bino's and cow calls and an elk bugle! its about 3 klms to where I want to get, the grass is white with frost. After walking afew minutes I see a rabbit, then another rabbit, both have white feet already, fall is here, the puddles have a thin layer of ice on them, as I am getting higher in the hills, headed for my favorite north east facing drainage, several springs and licks on this hill side, its real chilly up this drainage this morning, all the lower willows and plants are white with frost! I am now getting within a few hundred yards of my favorite game trail leading into a jungle of willows and alder, with a number of small meadows only maybe 30/40 yards accross, the big willows and alders form a canopy almost dark in there, although now its daylight, about 550 am, I check some tracks, theres moose, deer, elk and some old wolf tracks. Its now 6 am, I sit on a log listening, its very quite , and after a few minutes I hear it! a bugle! , just a few hundred yards away, not an aggressive bugle but low toned and then followed by several chuckels, afew minutes later another bugle,farther south , maybe 2 or 3 hundred yards, immediatly that bugle is answered by another one to the east from me, then a bugle from the first elk that bugled. OK, im satisfied, time to vacate!, get out of here!, I dont want to chance spooking these guys, only 2 days till season opens for 6 point! down the trail I go , quietly heading back towards my truck, dammit! about 400 yards from where I was sitting listening to the bulls bugle a nice bull moose walks out on the trail, about a four year old, full velvet he looks in good shape all fat and shinny, but I am not going to shoot him this morning, not with several bull elk in the area, so on I go towards my truck, then I hear something, grrr,grrr, putt, putt, sure enough 2 guys ridding quads roll up to me on the trail! they stop shut off thier motors, one guy says! SEE anything??, I said yah, a bull moose! he says did you get a shot??, I says nope!! he says yeh!! huntin kinda sucks this year!! I says yah!! and away they went!!! puttin down the trail!!!! He never asked me ifff ,,,,,, I HAD HEARD ANYTHING!!! lmao

elkdom
08-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Now that's cool. Gotta love the sound of those bugles......god damn that gave me elk fever....I cant wait.

Gee's how you think I feel ?? 2 days before opening day!! now as long as no one goes killing some dumb moose in there its all good!

Avalanche123
08-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Whoa now that is a great way to start your AM. Guess all they may be hearing is the soundof their own bikes!

Thanks for the report.

jml11
08-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Gee's how you think I feel ?? 2 days before opening day!! now as long as no one goes killing some dumb moose in there its all good!

Do you really think if that bull you saw was shot this morning those elk wouldn't be there in three days?

In my experiences elk are creatures of habit, and we have shot many elk in the same draws/drainages within a couple days of each other. Even shot two in the same day less than a kilometer apart in under an hour. I've even seen a herd bull with numerous cows spooked out of a basin by group hunters, only to be back in there the next day!

Just my experiences, never hunted peace elk though, you would know them better than me. I would have shot that moose though!

elkdom
08-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Do you really think if that bull you saw was shot this morning those elk wouldn't be there in three days?

In my experiences elk are creatures of habit, and we have shot many elk in the same draws/drainages within a couple days of each other. Even shot two in the same day less than a kilometer apart in under an hour. I've even seen a herd bull with numerous cows spooked out of a basin by group hunters, only to be back in there the next day!

Just my experiences, never hunted peace elk though, you would know them better than me. I would have shot that moose though!

I only hunt Bull elk in that drainage, I have taken 7 bull elk 6x6 or better from there in the last 10 years, all shot with 1 klm of where those elk bugled this morning, many hunters ride through there on the trail, few see anything, I dont know of anyone else killing a bull elk in there , as for moose, I would prefer to shoot my meat moose close to the road! I dont mind bustin my balls for a 6 point Elk, but not for a moose! I agree with you the elk would not be far off, but if there's a moose kill in there, then coyoties, wolves show up,and also hunters see the kill and then they think " ahhhh moose,meattttttttt!" so they keep coming back! Why advertise? huh??

hunter1947
08-29-2008, 09:49 AM
I just hope they don't run off them elk you heard ???.
Also keep your fingers crossed that they don't shoot that bull moose you saw.

Good luck comes the first ,we expect some pic on the second of sept :mrgreen:.

hunter1947
08-29-2008, 09:55 AM
I only hunt Bull elk in that drainage, I have taken 7 bull elk 6x6 or better from there in the last 10 years, all shot with 1 klm of where those elk bugled this morning, many hunters ride through there on the trail, few see anything, I dont know of anyone else killing a bull elk in there , as for moose, I would prefer to shoot my meat moose close to the road! I dont mind bustin my balls for a 6 point Elk, but not for a moose! I agree with you the elk would not be far off, but if there's a moose kill in there, then coyoties, wolves show up,and also hunters see the kill and then they think " ahhhh moose,meattttttttt!" so they keep coming back! Why advertise? huh??

Well spoken wording Elkdome ,this is when an experienced hunter thinks of what if ,or what if not http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

elkdom
08-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Get up early on opening day. Hike to that spot and carry big rocks. If you see a moose, throw a rock at it and scare it away so no other hunters see it for that day.
Keep one rock to throw at person on ATV that knows your hunting in that area and still decided to drive his annoying vehicle up there instead of walking his fat ass to a good hunting spot.
Bugle in your elk and shoot it :)

lmao! I hunt with "HARRY", he is a big smelly sasquatch! HARRY is the ROCK thrower! HARRY is quiet and his only problems are he doesent like moose,or ATV's lol

bigwhiteys
08-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Also keep your fingers crossed that they don't shoot that bull moose you saw.

Keep your fingers crossed they aren't members of this forum, read your little story and now know where your Elk Spot is! ;)

Carl

jml11
08-29-2008, 10:29 AM

Fair enough, if that is your honey hole I can understand your reasons for not wanting to advertise. I misread your post, I thought the moose was closer to your truck! Agreed I wouldn't want to pack a meat moose either, been there, done that and didn't enjoy it. You mentioned this area is open for 6 points come monday, is it not going to be open for 3 points this year?? Altough it sounds like you will be able to get a mature bull elk regardless.

moosinaround
08-29-2008, 10:40 AM
this mornig I left the house early, 5 am, very cool this morning only 2 above, drive out to the elk zone, takes me about 15 minutes, nasty bumpy trail lots of puddles and ruts, park the 'Yota , grab my rifle, bino's and cow calls and an elk bugle! its about 3 klms to where I want to get, the grass is white with frost. After walking afew minutes I see a rabbit, then another rabbit, both have white feet already, fall is here, the puddles have a thin layer of ice on them, as I am getting higher in the hills, headed for my favorite north east facing drainage, several springs and licks on this hill side, its real chilly up this drainage this morning, all the lower willows and plants are white with frost! I am now getting within a few hundred yards of my favorite game trail leading into a jungle of willows and alder, with a number of small meadows only maybe 30/40 yards accross, the big willows and alders form a canopy almost dark in there, although now its daylight, about 550 am, I check some tracks, theres moose, deer, elk and some old wolf tracks. Its now 6 am, I sit on a log listening, its very quite , and after a few minutes I hear it! a bugle! , just a few hundred yards away, not an aggressive bugle but low toned and then followed by several chuckels, afew minutes later another bugle,farther south , maybe 2 or 3 hundred yards, immediatly that bugle is answered by another one to the east from me, then a bugle from the first elk that bugled. OK, im satisfied, time to vacate!, get out of here!, I dont want to chance spooking these guys, only 2 days till season opens for 6 point! down the trail I go , quietly heading back towards my truck, dammit! about 400 yards from where I was sitting listening to the bulls bugle a nice bull moose walks out on the trail, about a four year old, full velvet he looks in good shape all fat and shinny, but I am not going to shoot him this morning, not with several bull elk in the area, so on I go towards my truck, then I hear something, grrr,grrr, putt, putt, sure enough 2 guys ridding quads roll up to me on the trail! they stop shut off thier motors, one guy says! SEE anything??, I said yah, a bull moose! he says did you get a shot??, I says nope!! he says yeh!! huntin kinda sucks this year!! I says yah!! and away they went!!! puttin down the trail!!!! He never asked me ifff ,,,,,, I HAD HEARD ANYTHING!!! lmao
I'm glad to hear they are bugling!! I am coming up in a few days myself, and man I want to call in a big bull badly!! My neighbors are getting tired of listening to me practice!! LOL Hope I bugle well enough, it is only my second year hunting elk so who knows! Sure is fun tryiing though! Moosin

elkdom
08-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Fair enough, if that is your honey hole I can understand your reasons for not wanting to advertise. I misread your post, I thought the moose was closer to your truck! Agreed I wouldn't want to pack a meat moose either, been there, done that and didn't enjoy it. You mentioned this area is open for 6 points come monday, is it not going to be open for 3 points this year?? Altough it sounds like you will be able to get a mature bull elk regardless.

no problem, yeah I hunt in the 7-20a area, I enjoy the bugle season, I have taken a couple of elk by lurking around meadows and from tree stands, but for my own enjoyment getting several bulls going crazy,wanting a piece of yah! close in and personal is far more exciting ( for my own preferances) most years I shoot my elk within 15 to 40 yards, and I used to bow hunt a bit but it seems I am very good at calling in friggen grizzly bears, so now I use a rifle for elk in the calling season! its even more exciting to be using a cow talk,cow call and when you hear a twig break 20 yards from you,and your staring at a grizzly bear! holding your bow knowing the bear is thinking??? hmmmmm,,meattttttt!

elkdom
08-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm glad to hear they are bugling!! I am coming up in a few days myself, and man I want to call in a big bull badly!! My neighbors are getting tired of listening to me practice!! LOL Hope I bugle well enough, it is only my second year hunting elk so who knows! Sure is fun tryiing though! Moosin

TIP !! listen more than you talk, an occasional bugle is good, but dont over do it, if you geta reply,then its 'tit for tat', generally if the bulls are in the mood to bugle,you will know it, although sometimes it helps to get em' going with a bugle or a cow call! good luck!

jml11
08-29-2008, 11:01 AM
no problem, yeah I hunt in the 7-20a area, I enjoy the bugle season, I have taken a couple of elk by lurking around meadows and from tree stands, but for my own enjoyment getting several bulls going crazy,wanting a piece of yah! close in and personal is far more exciting ( for my own preferances) most years I shoot my elk within 15 to 40 yards, and I used to bow hunt a bit but it seems I am very good at calling in friggen grizzly bears, so now I use a rifle for elk in the calling season! its even more exciting to be using a cow talk,cow call and when you hear a twig break 20 yards from you,and your staring at a grizzly bear! holding your bow knowing the bear is thinking??? hmmmmm,,meattttttt!

I agree I've spent a couple years hunting in 7-50 during the rut and have had a blast playing with the elk. Taken smaller bulls, one 6 point myself and have been in on several others. All were located by calling and have even called a few in fairly close. Closest was about 20 yards and I couldn't even see it!!! Good thing my partner could :p! Nothing else gets the blood pumping when you have 3 bulls answering your call!!

Never called in a grizzly though!! Did however run into one after me and my partner shoot two 6 points five minutes apart. He shoot a 6 point satellite bull down near the bottom of a drainage and I shoot the heard bull up on top when it was spooked by his shot and ran right up to me! While hikning down to meet him I jumped a Grizz. Made for some nervous field dressing and packing!

elkdom
08-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I agree I've spent a couple years hunting in 7-50 during the rut and have had a blast playing with the elk. Taken smaller bulls, one 6 point myself and have been in on several others. All were located by calling and have even called a few in fairly close. Closest was about 20 yards and I couldn't even see it!!! Good thing my partner could :p! Nothing else gets the blood pumping when you have 3 bulls answering your call!!

Never called in a grizzly though!! Did however run into one after me and my partner shoot two 6 points five minutes apart. He shoot a 6 point satellite bull down near the bottom of a drainage and I shoot the heard bull up on top when it was spooked by his shot and ran right up to me! While hikning down to meet him I jumped a Grizz. Made for some nervous field dressing and packing!

You sure learn your rifle is your 'new bestest' friend when you have meat on the 'ground' and MR.G.BEAR has your location, and wants to share your meat!

ElkMasterC
08-29-2008, 12:32 PM
I liked your story..the way you walked us in...very nice.
And just the thought of having those bulls roar at you in the cold blue twilight sends tingles up my spine.
Can't wait.
Gonna do a pack-in bow trip for Elk next week.
On my mountain bike..lol

model88
08-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Went out last nite for a look see and found a realy nice 5x5 with 7 cows. Wouldn't bugle though :sad: Too bad I gotta work opening day of archery, cause he is a very nice 5x5!!

browningboy
08-29-2008, 09:46 PM
I think thats one of the coolest sounds in the fall, gets the hair on the back of your neck standing from the fever! I can't wait!

elkdom
08-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I looked around a bit this morning, NO elk talking, no elk moving, its been raining steady for about 16 hours, I have observed in past seasons when this happens, the elk stop " talking" they find refuge from the wet rainy weather, bedded under trees that provide a canopy, they like it under large spruce and pine trees, sometimes several elk will spend many days just hidding under some trees, not moving waiting for the weather to ease up, but if you know general area where they may be, this is good for stalking silently keeping the wind at your advantage, scent yourself up and move slowly, bugleing dont work at this time, but an occasional cow or calf mews will keep them from being alerted to danger ,should you make noise while moving in the bush. During this time they dont get much nourishment so when the bad weather breaks! look out for elk on the move, they will feed heavy at this time to make up for the few days they were bedded! maybe this rain will stop the nite before season opens!

rocksteady
08-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Not sure if they are squeeking here yet, will be out tonight doing some listening, and in the morning, just covering some ground to confirm they are in my honey hole for Monday!!!

elkdom
08-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Not sure if they are squeeking here yet, will be out tonight doing some listening, and in the morning, just covering some ground to confirm they are in my honey hole for Monday!!!

hey have you ever tried "chumming" for elk??? I do and it works for me at least one out of four times! I usd the term 'chumming' others call it something else, just curious how many will catch on to my choice of words! later

rocksteady
08-30-2008, 08:57 AM
"chumming"????? Help me out here....

Fisher-Dude
08-30-2008, 09:05 AM
This rain is a godsend before the season. Get those pine needles soggy so you can sneak around a bit better, and keep it cool for packin' meat! :biggrin:

elkdom
08-30-2008, 09:22 AM
"chumming"????? Help me out here....

usually do this around " mid day" walk quietly through an area that you know there is elk,maybe some sign of bulls,scrapes,rubs, wallows, take along some stips of cloth, previously washed in fresh water, strips about 1 inch wide and 10,12 inches long, soak them in cow in heat scent, place them in a jar or zip baggy, now walk quietly thru your 'zone hanging out 10,15 stips of PEE soaked cloth on branches about 5 feet off the ground from tree branches, covering an area of about 500 ft by 500 ft (4 acres), leave quietly, do not return till following mornig useing the wind to your advantage( hunt into the breeze if possible), make some cow calls as you get within 5,6 hundred yards of your PEE scented zone!!! if there is bulls near there look out! they will be on you like youve never seen before!!!

rocksteady
08-30-2008, 11:53 AM
May give that a try....How to you get the cow elk to pee on them if they are 5 feet in the air???

elkdom
08-30-2008, 12:07 PM
May give that a try....How to you get the cow elk to pee on them if they are 5 feet in the air???

ha ha ha! OH your being serious? well truthfully the really "HOT" cows wear HIGH heels !!! maybe the scent travels better when susspended above the ground???

rocksteady
08-30-2008, 12:10 PM
No, I was not serious, may think about doing this, all I have to lose is one of the wifes bath-towels and a bottle of cow urine....

elkdom
08-30-2008, 12:15 PM
No, I was not serious, may think about doing this, all I have to lose is one of the wifes bath-towels and a bottle of cow urine....

yeah the cheapo stuff from CT works just fine, you can buy it in large plastic bottles about 1 litre, about $7.00 , it dont have to be "PRIMOS" $20 for 4 ounces stuff

hunter1947
08-30-2008, 01:22 PM
I have lots of bull elk urine ,when I clean an elk I save the urine and when I get home I put it in small quantities.

I will leave all battles in the freezer till I need some when I go out on an elk hunting trip.

I also cut the bulls belly flap off and I will put it in the freezer as well ,when I need a piece to tie to my belt I cut off some.

I where the belly flap pieces when I head out into the bush for my hunt when I am hunting for elk.
I had a couple Roosevelt calling to me this morning when I was out deer hunting ,They did not come in ???.

I was hyper hot cow calling ,they should have come in ???.
Maybe they are not into it yet ,have to wait another week.

I got some good rubs from a dandy bull ,hear they are.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_885.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10326)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_886.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10325&limit=recent)

elkdom
08-30-2008, 01:30 PM
I have lots of bull elk urin ,when I clean an elk I save the urin and when I get home I put it in small quanities.

I will leave all battles in the freezer till I need some when I go out on an elk hunting trip.

I also cut the bulls belly flap off and I will put it in the freezer as well ,when I need a piece to tie to my belt I cut off some.

I where the belly flap pieces when I head out into the bush for my hunt when I am hunting for elk.
I had a couple rossevelts calling to me this morning when I was out deer hunting ,They did not come in ???.

I was huper hot cow calling ,they should have come in ???.
Maybe they are not into it yet ,have to wait another week.

I got some good rubs from a dandy bull ,hear they are.

so far the last few days seems the bulls are kind of grouped up, sizing each other up, dont seem aggressive yet,but as soon as some cows come into heat! them bulls will start knockin each other around big time, settin up some RULES, gettin careless,lookin for trouble, lol

Little Hawk
08-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Man-O-man! I can hardly wait. All this 'Elk-talk' really gets me goin'...

This year will be my sixth elk-hunt (only the fourth in a row serious one) and it is bar-none my absolute favorite thing to do.

I'll never forget last year when buddy and I arrived in Invermere at about 2 am in early Oct. We were planning to hook up with my buddy who lives up there and I had just pulled the old motorhome off the road for the night.

I climbed out after a long haul to take a leak and as I stood there taking in great gulps of that wonderful cold Kootenay air - a bull bugled not more than a quarter mile from me. Yes... the hair on the back of my neck bristled with anticipation.

I didn't get my first bull last year but I think this year will be the one.
I will work hard and smart.

Off to the range to test out some re-loads today.

Good Luck to all of you!

elkdom
09-01-2008, 09:59 AM
opening day of the 6 point GOS, out by 4 am, drive to elk zone, park Yoda, hike in 3 klms, start cow chirps when I get about 300 yds from my favorite wallows, and I get an instant response, I make two more cow calls and out comes a 5x5 on the pipeline about 150 yards from me, just about as the 5x5 shows up, another bull starts to bugle deeper in the thick bush ,working to keep the breeze in my favor, I bugle , cow talk, now getting a cow answering from near the bull in the thick stuff, the herd bull is going nuts, bugles, grunts, chuckles, finally I get about 30 yards from him in really thick willow, and grassess about 6 ft tall, I can see him , but he hangs up, couple of cows now getting spooky, I still CANT! count the sixth point, this carries on for about 15 minutes, the bull rushes back and forth,trying to get my scent!, all the while he bugles chuckles and lots of grunts , finally a cow works her way down wind of me, "OOPs i'm Busted!" she makes a loud snort!!, and off they go crashing through the under growth, oh well its just the first morning of the 6 point season,,,,,, now I get to walk back 3 klms to my truck, soaking wet, oozing adrenalin!!! is it worth it??? You bet your arse it is!!!

rocksteady
09-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Been there done that...Tomorrow is another day...

ianwuzhere
09-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Sounds like the adrenaline is flowing there...
id be keepin your "honey drainage" on the dont tell..;)
Hopefully youll be posting some pix of a beautiful bull harvested from there in the near future...
Cheers

elkdom
09-01-2008, 10:53 AM
The nosey 5x5 elk,5;45am Sept 01,2008 a little bit grainy and it wasnt real light out yet,and I am terrible with cameras and computers , I spend all my time chasing elk! oh well i'm not perfect! lol

BCRiverBoater
09-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Now I feel your pain. I am sitting at work. How fun is that in elk season.

elkdom
09-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Now I feel your pain. I am sitting at work. How fun is that in elk season.

SORRY! for makin you hurt, I just wanna hurt an elk, lol

elkdom
09-01-2008, 11:45 AM
My season doesnt start for another 9 days...because I don't hunt with a bow (yet).
Great picture Elkdom......ya got me really wanting the next 9 days to go fast....real fast.

Yah, I know what you mean, those close to season opener Blues! that herd bull this morning at times was only 10 yards from me, that stuff they were in is so thick, he had huge brow tines,and heavy beams but I just could NOT make out the sixth'd point! blah blah! boo! hoo! wah! wah! but a GREAT day for DAY ONE, I think!

moosinaround
09-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Elkdom, you holding out for a 6 pointer, or your not in 720a*? Was that 5x5 not in 720a*? Looked like a shooter to me! I am looking for a bugling experience like that! But If it was open I would have dropped that 5x5! Moosin

elkdom
09-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Elkdom, you holding out for a 6 pointer, or your not in 720a*? Was that 5x5 not in 720a*? Looked like a shooter to me! I am looking for a bugling experience like that! But If it was open I would have dropped that 5x5! Moosin Yeah! that bull was legal, I hunt 7-20a*, but I passed up that 5x5 this morning, I had my X hairs on him, he stood broadside about 150 yards away, for several minutes! Dont take me wrong, I am not trying to be a smart ass or jo superhunter, I live near great elk hunting opportunities, to shoot the first legal bull would kind of wreck the next 2 months for me, I love chasing 'dem' elks! lol, at this point I dont need the meat, and to shoot that 5x5 just to say I dropped my bull elk the first morning of elk season , just isnt my style! but I will try and kill his DADDY! who knows maybe I wont get a chance for a Legal bull for the rest of the season??, but I will have a hellava good time chasing them ,just the same! Good luck to you this fall also!

BCRiverBoater
09-01-2008, 01:29 PM
I here you. I will only be shooting a 6 point this year as well. I live in 7-20 but I like to hunt elk so will try to get another 6 point. I have killed enough elk over the years that I am now trying to get a bigger one everytime. The bugling and calling is way more fun then the shooting.

elkdom
09-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I here you. I will only be shooting a 6 point this year as well. I live in 7-20 but I like to hunt elk so will try to get another 6 point. I have killed enough elk over the years that I am now trying to get a bigger one everytime. The bugling and calling is way more fun then the shooting.

In the 1970's the Federal Government Trained me to be an expert marksman, Sniper training, the Grand tours abroad, all the Tags and Marquis to sew on arm and your chest, in the following years the Provincial Government demanded me to only shoot 6X or better Bull Elk, so here I am DOOMED to hunt trophy elk, ah it aint so bad!! it's a dirty job, somebody's gotta do it!

hunter1947
09-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah! that bull was legal, I hunt 7-20a*, but I passed up that 5x5 this morning, I had my X hairs on him, he stood broadside about 150 yards away, for several minutes! Dont take me wrong, I am not trying to be a smart ass or jo superhunter, I live near great elk hunting opportunities, to shoot the first legal bull would kind of wreck the next 2 months for me, I love chasing 'dem' elks! lol, at this point I dont need the meat, and to shoot that 5x5 just to say I dropped my bull elk the first morning of elk season , just isnt my style! but I will try and kill his DADDY! who knows maybe I wont get a chance for a Legal bull for the rest of the season??, but I will have a hellava good time chasing them ,just the same! Good luck to you this fall also!

If I lived where you do elkdom I would have done the same thing as you did this morning ,first day 5x5 no not this time you did the right thing letting him walk.

You got all season so why not wait for Mr big.

moosinaround
09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Elkdom, I am hunting elk for my second season, and having that 5x5 bull come out to a bugle would have made my season!! I can understand where you guys are coming from, moose is kind of like that for me.........what am I saying, dam I would drop the first legal bull moose too!!!lol But I hear yah! I'm just a rookie, and elk get me pretty revved up when they are bugling close in!!! Good luck on the herd bull quest!! Moosin in listening close, and learning!!!

moosinaround
09-01-2008, 04:13 PM
I still have Elk fever readin this.....I love it.

I would have passed him up as well on the 1st day....(I think lol)
I would have been field dressing an elk!! Moosin

lunatic
09-01-2008, 07:16 PM
I would have passed as well. WAY too much fun to have it end that fast. I have a group of about 8 in-laws and friends coming up from the Clinton area in another week and I plan on being the caller and hopefully one of them can connect. They've been coming up for a couple of years now and it seems like the day after they leave is when the "blood flows". Awesome first day Elkdom.....good luck !

elkdom
09-02-2008, 01:38 PM
This morning provided some exercise and not much else, 5am swirling winds, and warm about 8 celcius, made the usuall effort but the winds definatly made it tough, never longer than 5 maybe 10 minutes, then windshift, absolutly no bugling Elk this morning, played mostly with cow talk, lots of sign from last night but not much moving this morning, did manage to call in one dumb yearling bull with little nubs of velvet, within about 200 yds, and one cow poked her head out on cutline and disappeared, all in all, warm windy days tend to be pretty much a write off, specially when the wind is not constant, at least with constant wind you can work through an area, maybe catch elk bedded down, swirling winds! forget it! did snap pics of the newby bull elk in velvet, definatly the perfect bull for the deepfreeze!!

elkdom
09-02-2008, 09:56 PM
There is just something I wanted to say about elk, that being for those who may be new to the "elk quest" in my last post, take a very close look at the young bull elk pictured in the thumbnail , look how perfectly he is camoflaged, his lower body same colour as the grass, his upper body blending in perfectly with the dark willow tree trunks and or the spruce or pine tree trunks, when your looking to see or find elk!,concentrate on elk parts, head or ears or body colour, or the dark legs, antler tips, if you only think of looking to see a complete elk outline, quite often you can miss them because they are cammo'ed so perfectly!

moosinaround
09-02-2008, 10:28 PM
There is just something I wanted to say about elk, that being for those who may be new to the "elk quest" in my last post, take a very close look at the young bull elk pictured in the thumbnail , look how perfectly he is camoflaged, his lower body same colour as the grass, his upper body blending in perfectly with the dark willow tree trunks and or the spruce or pine tree trunks, when your looking to see or find elk!,concentrate on elk parts, head or ears or body colour, or the dark legs, antler tips, if you only think of looking to see a complete elk outline, quite often you can miss them because they are cammo'ed so perfectly!
I will soon be looking for those parts you talked about. They are as you said perfectly cammoed! I again thank you for the advice, and will try to hone my skills as an ELK TALKER!! I have soo much to learn, but I am willing to go out and fail to eventually succeed. The thrill of the bugle, that huge adrenaline rush is what I am after!! Oh yah and the awesome steaks!!! I am like a sponge ready to soak up the knowledge! Educate please! Moosin

elkdom
08-19-2009, 10:30 PM
:smile: well it looks like those elk are at it again, aside from the normal cow/calf sounds your hear quite often most times of the year,,,

tonight about 8;45 pm I was out doing some pre-season elk scouting and I came across 2 cows and a unseen bull in thick cover, the bull was bugling, not real aggressive but more like "here I am", "remember me girls??" ;-) and I observed a cow eagerly chirping back to his bugles, then another cow joined in the OPERA and I did some cow calls and listened till it got dark, then left the area quietly :cool:, I took a pic of the cow I managed to get out on the clearing using my Hootchie Momma, the Bull Elk wouldnt move closer,but he would return a bugle for every cow call, I didn't expect him to come in to the cow call but he did get more vocal with my added cow calls, so those that like elk music?? its a happinin!;-)

I posted pics of tonites "singing cow elk" in the Gallery!

leadpillproductions
08-19-2009, 10:57 PM
man i can't wait

jasper
08-20-2009, 08:20 AM
great post elkdom lots of good info that is shure beautiful country you live in i was up there last year and was lucky enough to get my first bull elk i would have been tickled with a three point but i ended up taking a nice 6x6 nothing beter than hearing them talking back and forth to each other i think it is one of the greatest things mother nature has given us good luck finding that big bad boy thanks again for a great post

The Hermit
08-20-2009, 08:31 AM
... down the trail I go , quietly heading back towards my truck, dammit! about 400 yards from where I was sitting listening to the bulls bugle a nice bull moose walks out on the trail, about a four year old, full velvet he looks in good shape all fat and shinny, but I am not going to shoot him this morning, not with several bull elk in the area, so on I go towards my truck, ...

So what is your concern about shooting a moose in the elk area? It couldn't be that you are worried that a single friggin rifle going off would alert those elk that "man is in the woods, man is in the woods" is it? Are you a bowhunter? Or do you at least understand why bowhunters don't like overlapping "archery only" season with any rifle hunting??

A hahahahaha damed if you do damned if you don't! :tongue::twisted:

lunatic
08-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Went out yesterday late afternoon and set up my camera at "secret lick". Lots of fresh tracks, scat, and a few rubs. No bugles. No moose hunters in the area from what I could tell.

lunatic
08-20-2009, 08:58 AM
:smile: well it looks like those elk are at it again, aside from the normal cow/calf sounds your hear quite often most times of the year,,,

tonight about 8;45 pm I was out doing some pre-season elk scouting and I came across 2 cows and a unseen bull in thick cover, the bull was bugling, not real aggressive but more like "here I am", "remember me girls??" ;-) and I observed a cow eagerly chirping back to his bugles, then another cow joined in the OPERA and I did some cow calls and listened till it got dark, then left the area quietly :cool:, I took a pic of the cow I managed to get out on the clearing using my Hootchie Momma, the Bull Elk wouldnt move closer,but he would return a bugle for every cow call, I didn't expect him to come in to the cow call but he did get more vocal with my added cow calls, so those that like elk music?? its a happining!

I posted pics of tonites "singing cow elk" in the Gallery!

That area looks awfully familiar Elkdom....good thing I moved to TR. Wouldn't be the first time I hid in the bush and watched you go by :wink:.

elkdom
08-20-2009, 09:00 AM
So what is your concern about shooting a moose in the elk area? It couldn't be that you are worried that a single friggin rifle going off would alert those elk that "man is in the woods, man is in the woods" is it? Are you a bowhunter? Or do you at least understand why bowhunters don't like overlapping "archery only" season with any rifle hunting??

A hahahahaha damed if you do damned if you don't! :tongue::twisted:

many moose hunters pass right by excellent elk habitat, many times within a few hundred meters, many don't know there are elk in the area, just ridding quads up and down the pipelines and cut lines, if I dump a bull moose in my elk zone, then there will be ravens, coyotes and I also have to pack out the moose, make several trips into the elk zone to recover my moose, I can kill a moose anywhere, but if I kill one where I have been scouting elk, then every clown that comes across my moose kill will be looking around for whatever, so I wont quad or take my off road truck into the elk zone unless I have to recover an elk! seems to work just fine my methods! killed about 25 elk in my travels over the years, moose are big,dumb and heavy!, and the best place to kill one is near a ditch or a clear cut!, for easy recovery and minimal work! no meat moose is worth exposing a good elk rutting area, one spot I have taken 7 or 8 bull elk 6X6 or better over the last ten years and all of those bull elk I killed with ONE kilometer of the rest! and every year in the early season for moose, dozens of motorized moose hunters MOTOR right by without the slightest idea about the Elk! hahaha:smile:

moosinaround
08-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Good news Elkdom. Glad to hear they are getting anxious. I am heading up to Chetwynd on the 29th of Aug. Dam it I'm staying till I shoot one............or the 10th, I have to go back to work the 11th. I am a year smarter, I hope, and a little better strategist when it come to elk hunting tricks. I have been soaking up videos, asking questions, practicing calls both bugles and cow/calf chirps. I gotta think there is a bull up there this year with my name on it!! Moosin

J_T
08-25-2009, 08:09 PM
.......I shoot my elk within 15 to 40 yards, and I used to bow hunt a bit but it seems I am very good at calling in friggen grizzly bears, so now I use a rifle for elk in the calling season! its even more exciting to be using a cow talk,cow call and when you hear a twig break 20 yards from you,and your staring at a grizzly bear! holding your bow knowing the bear is thinking??? hmmmmm,,meattttttt!Yup, the thrill of the bow hunt. Cleanses the soul.

whitetailsheds
08-25-2009, 10:30 PM
This was an elk experience from a few years ago. I've got a spot where I park the truck and hike into an area that has produced several bulls for me.
I love nothing more than coming back from spending the day hiking the hills from before light, until after dark. I stay in the back seat of my quad cab, window rolled a few inches down. This is so I can lie there and try to sleep. I say "try" to sleep because I'm actually out there just to comfortably rest in my sleeping bag waiting to hear the elk bugling! I love it!
The smell of that fresh, mid-September air gets me high!
Then, if a bull starts bugling in the distance, well, that'll sure getcha excited!
This one evening, after I've had a bite to eat, I get settled into the 'ol fart sack.
After a couple hours of peacefully resting there, I hear a series of chuckles. No bugles. Just a bull sounding like he's getting ready for the big show.
And from the same direction, in front of the truck, there are several cows chirping their "chirp".
"Wow, this guys got some girls with him!!", and I get to lie there and take all this in. Unbelievable!
The elk are making their way, closer to the truck. Probably within a couple hundred yards. I can hear the bull breathing hard, doing a low growl. He sounds pissed!
After 20 minutes, the elk are right there! 60 yards in front of the truck!
By this time, I'm sitting in the front seat, binos up, looking at the silhouettes of 8 elk.
In the light of a full moon, I can make out antlers. And count points!! A nice 6x6!
You can see the moonlight reflect off the solid bone! Unreal!
One would think you had died and were in the happy hunting grounds!
LIFE DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS!!!
And then, it did!!!
Another faint bugle could be heard from behind the truck! This may be a bit of an embellishment, but I'm pretty sure I said out loud (to myself), "F@#k off!!"
Steadily, and faster than the other elk appeared, he was headed this way! This bull was on a mission. And had some fightin' on his mind.
His bugles were loud and very deep. He was not holding back. I'm sure if it were not for a full moon, I'd a seen flames in his eyes!!
The first bull with all the gals, bugled back, but not with the forcefulness of the incoming bad boy. One could sense that the first bull didn't want to have anything to do with the rage that was coming his way.
I thought at one point the bull was trying to push his harem away, but they never did leave.
The second bull continued his fight march right to within 75 yards of the truck window! Another heavy 6x6!
This is where it got really good. The two bulls had it out right there. All out war...horns crashing, breaths deep and growling, ground being pounded by heavy hooves.
This went on for 15 minutes or so before the bulls separated. I couldn't tell which was which, but one of them walked towards the cows, bugled a couple times, and rounded them up.
As the group was walking off, the "loser" followed, bugling as well....
After something like that, you'd think that would be the end of the story. But it's not! How could it get better?
After this was all said and done, I crawled back into the sleeping bag, amazed! That was unreal!
I checked the time. It was 2:45 AM.
I could still hear the elk making their way to where I knew they bedded for the day. Some thick, nasty alder patches. The "jungle".
I'd chased them in there quite a few times. Dirty rotters! They knew that was the place to be for the day.
After a couple more hours of not much sleep, I got dressed, and headed out.
There was no breeze. But with the aid of some Kootenay Smoke, I found the air currents coming down the hill. Away from the elk. Perfect!
I got to an opening I figured the elk would cross.
With the bugling still going on, I knew it was going to be close.
It was well after day break by this time. I could hear not only the bugling, but hoof steps now. Twigs breaking and cracking. Grass moving as the elk walked thru it. I had done it. I beat them.
I hunkered down in front of an alder thicket. As I was doing this, a cow and a spike just came into the opening, and caught my settling in. Damn!!!
After a few seconds of head bobbing, sniffing the air, they crossed and dissolved back into the "jungle".
More elk were coming. Two bulls were still madly "yelling" at each other. And coming my way.
Three more cows crossed.
Finally, the ivory tips of a bull could be seen.
I brought up my rifle. Rested my front elbow on a knee.
He bugled once when he stepped out in the opening. Which was only a few yards across.
Yep. He's a 6x6. Pretty tall. Looks fairly heavy.
He's only 40 yards away.
I let out a soft mew with the diaphram I had in my mouth.
He snapped his head toward me. My heart jumped in my chest.
When I saw his spread, the thought that entered my mind was, "300".
Bang!

He ran 40 yards into the "jungle" and fell over.

At long last, I had beaten these elk that always beat me by heading into what I termed the "jungle".
The next day, I got a call from a buddy indicating his gal had gotten a nice 6x6 bull. "Just last nite."
He did NOT know I had taken an elk that morning.
We hunt the same area. He described where they got the bull. It was 100 yards downhill from my bull's gutpile.
The second bull never left the area after I shot. After a cell phone call to another buddy to bring a quad. After talking over the dead bull with a celebratory smoke. After the gutting. After the quartering. After making two trips up and down the very same path that the second bull was shot on that evening.
Unreal!

hunter1947
08-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Whitetailshed that a very nice story http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

BlacktailStalker
08-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Awesome. You'll never forget that. Thats why hunters hunt.

d6dan
08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Good story Whitetailsheds, now If it could be like that everytime:?:.

behemoth
08-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Ummm, you guys are making it hard for me to sleep at night being that I'm going on my first Elk hunt in 3 weeks.
Great stories, keep em coming!!

Nimrod
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Great story WTS...you got me all fired up now...makes sept 20th seem so far away.

killman
08-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Cool story.

whitetailsheds
08-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Great story WTS...you got me all fired up now...makes sept 20th seem so far away.

Let me know of your plans....