PDA

View Full Version : Barkley Sound Aug.29th

Johnnybear
08-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Heading out O dark 30 tomorrow a.m. targeting Salmon. Will post pic's if successful. Trying to leave extra early to beat the crowd at the ramp as the "Derby" starts tomorrow. Anyone enter that gong show circus. I know a guy that won it 2 years ago. 10g would come in handy:D.

spreerider
08-29-2008, 11:50 AM
I havent been in the derby in almost 5 years too crowded for me and my small boat.

island grown
09-01-2008, 08:56 AM
hey there guys, i'm from Bamfield and used to be a fishing guide there also. last years i had the derby winner on but lost it cuz of a young kid that had never been fishing before. it was a paid trip, what can you do. but seriously, this thing was a monster from the deep. black and gold and a nice big hump. probably 50+. 20 years in Bamfield and never saw a fish like that, almost wish i never got a chance to see him.
Anyways, last year at Derby time they seems to be sitting off of cree on the surf line, this year there's some nice fish coming in from the "Wall". just out side the harbour. they will be skirting the corner around beale and coming down, don't forget to bounce your balls at tyee point. talk to family yesterday down there, sounds like a gong show on the water this weekend. remember if your boats big enough just drive with your back to the wheel. fish on, you have the right of way.

good luck fishing,

Johnnybear
09-01-2008, 10:05 PM
hey there guys, i'm from Bamfield and used to be a fishing guide there also. last years i had the derby winner on but lost it cuz of a young kid that had never been fishing before. it was a paid trip, what can you do. but seriously, this thing was a monster from the deep. black and gold and a nice big hump. probably 50+. 20 years in Bamfield and never saw a fish like that, almost wish i never got a chance to see him.
Anyways, last year at Derby time they seems to be sitting off of cree on the surf line, this year there's some nice fish coming in from the "Wall". just out side the harbour. they will be skirting the corner around beale and coming down, don't forget to bounce your balls at tyee point. talk to family yesterday down there, sounds like a gong show on the water this weekend. remember if your boats big enough just drive with your back to the wheel. fish on, you have the right of way.

good luck fishing,

Thanks for the info island grown. Well as you can see I said I would post pics if we were successful.......................didn't happen for us. Went out Friday to beat the rush, still tons of boats on the water, and fished hard from 5:30 till 2:30 at about 4 different spots and saw only 3 fish landed. It's been like that all summer I heard on a few days then off then on again. Anyways I had a great year earlier in late June and beginning of July and have at least one more trip out there before hunting starts.

Jager
09-02-2008, 07:25 AM
I was there. I missed one derby in the last 10-11 years and this was one of the worst for catching fish. We were running 4 rods for three days and had just 3 hits and landing only one 14lb'er. I think that was average for the boats around us fishing from Holm Island to Macktush. There weren't as many boats as previous years and they seemed spread out indicating they were all trying to find some action.

WHY DO THE LET THE COMMERCIAL GUYS IN JUST BEFORE THE DERBY??????

At least I know a guy who won $3000 for biggest fish for one of the days.

Oh well, as they say "a bad day fishing is still a good day drinking".

I'll be back in it next year.

island grown
09-02-2008, 11:10 AM
i know what you mean about the commercial boats, last year they had an opening on the last day of the Derby, amagine all the sport boats from the Derby trying to run back up the canal, only to meet all the commercial guys. can you say "Gong Show".

hope everyone had fun anyways!!

looked up the results today, someone from nanaimo won the Derby with a 41lb'er.