PDA

View Full Version : Where to go ?

BigBanger
08-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi ,
As lots of you know Im a newer hunter. Ive got this long weekend free and looking for somewhere to go. I live in the lower mainland and want to go scouting for some muleys. Im not askin for your hunny hole just a point in the right direction. Would you go to a place where you know there is deer but havent seen any bucks? Do you think it would be better to go somewhere new? What elevation do you think they are at ? Should I look for some where to camp up high? Im thinking region 3. Anybody know the night time temp?

sneg
08-28-2008, 07:55 AM
I would suggest to go Boston bar area. lot of places to scout . you will have no problem to camp at higher or low elevations.sleeping bag inside truck or tent should be fine.

Leaseman
08-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Up the Coq. from Hope to Merrit has lots of FSR's off either side, lots could take you weeks to explore (Murray Lake is/was a great place to explore and see game!)....

I started looking at this are 25+ years ago and still haven't seen even half of it (usually take 2-3 deer a year with family)

Mike

Jelvis
08-28-2008, 08:26 AM
What kind of vehicle are you using for this scouting trip?
There are bucks way down low, medium, and high elevations right now.
Night time temps at 1120 ft in Kamloops range now from 10 to 14 but go down as you go up the hills.
Jel-what kind of vehicle you going to use?

HighCountry
08-28-2008, 08:54 AM
There's alots of good spots with in 2 1/2 to 3 hours drive from LML if you interested pm me.

Steeleco
08-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Leaseman is right, from the tool booth to Merritt on either side holds plenty of nice critters, it's all about being in the right place at the right time. Good luck

Jelvis
08-28-2008, 09:27 AM
I love that Larson's hill area but never got to go there from Coldwater through to region 8, the drive, the secenery the game. jel-Larson's Hill.

Leaseman
08-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Most, if not all roads are driveable with any vehicle, I always am in 2 wheel drive unless we hit snow....which could happen this weekend.... most sightings are higher up, 4000 plus feet....IMO

BigBanger
08-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Ok , Thanks for the replys . Ill be driving my 4wd truck and I have the option of putting the camper on but I would rather not . Drive time isent that big of a deal to me , lets say 4 hrs and under ??

Sneg , Ive done lots of looking around in boston bar but havent seen any bucks , just bears and does .

Steeleco and leaseman , with the roads being driveable with any vehicle is there lots of traffic ? Im thinking this is where Im going to try . I have kinda poked around in this area and have thought it looked good .

So what I got so far from you guys is from the tool booth to Merritt on either side and at least 4000 feet , thanks guys Ill giver a shot .

Im looking to set up a base camp for most of the weekend and hike out from there . I dont realy want to road hunt .

Leaseman
08-28-2008, 11:38 AM
BB...where I go, I usually see 2-4 trucks....period

As far as parking and walking, your odds aren't very high as you dont know the area. Put a bit of time in driving around and checking things out, might work better for you!!

Mike

BigBanger
08-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Will do , thanks Mike .

grizzly_taker
08-28-2008, 01:20 PM
all these suggestions are good BB, i've poked around the toll booth and there is really good spots. Thyne Mountain, produces, bucks are up high.

Steeleco
08-28-2008, 01:29 PM
My buddy took this guy at over 4500'. West of the Coq day after opening, 3 years back. They're not on every corner but they're there. I took his smaller buddy, the day after, same spot, same time!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/Chappybuck2.jpg

Posted for motivation only!!!!

Good luck.

HO14
08-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Hey Everyone,

My name is Matt and I'm a grad student in Burnaby at SFU. I grew up hunting in the Kootenays and am looking to get back into some deer hunting this year. I've read on this thread that the toll booth to Merrit offers good hunting, but just how drivable are these roads? I know some have said it's easy to get around in any vehicle, but I've only got a Honda CR-V (little more clearance than a car) and would like to take a look at the higher elevations around the area that's been discussed here.

Any comments from hunters who have been out that way would be appreciated.

oddsix
08-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Lots of deer around the coq. lakes. thalia and lodwick and such, seen 9 bucks together in a logged area in the summer up there last year.

BigBanger
08-28-2008, 06:37 PM
My buddy took this guy at over 4500'. West of the Coq day after opening, 3 years back. They're not on every corner but they're there. I took his smaller buddy, the day after, same spot, same time!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/Chappybuck2.jpg

Posted for motivation only!!!!

Good luck.

Thats one hell of a way to motivate me , thanks . You got my hart pumping . Im leaving tomorrow afternoon for the weekend .

Steeleco
08-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Hey Everyone,

My name is Matt and I'm a grad student in Burnaby at SFU. I grew up hunting in the Kootenays and am looking to get back into some deer hunting this year. I've read on this thread that the toll booth to Merrit offers good hunting, but just how drivable are these roads? I know some have said it's easy to get around in any vehicle, but I've only got a Honda CR-V (little more clearance than a car) and would like to take a look at the higher elevations around the area that's been discussed here.

Any comments from hunters who have been out that way would be appreciated.

Welcome Matt, a couple of years back when I was between 4x4's I hunted the Kane valley in a 1990 Sprint. No I'm not kidding. Your CRV will be fine, Now where you'll put your quarry (fresh blood and all) is completely another story :shock::shock:

hunter1947
08-29-2008, 02:29 AM
There is a gravel road that winds up to your left side of the hi way when you come into Spencer's bridge .

This road climbs up to good mule hunting ,there is some good mule deer hunting when you get up on top.

BigBanger
08-30-2008, 12:40 PM
It took me 6 hours to get from Surrey to Hope yesterday!! I was in a pissed off mood by the time a made it to hope. Pulled up a seat in the local pub. While the dog watched my stuff in the back of the truck I Had a good steak dinner waiting for the freeway to open back up. Jumped back into the truck and headed back home (1hr25min)for a good nights sleep in our warm bed. Going out now to try it again . Brought some movies this time and some tylenol .

Schmaus
08-30-2008, 02:34 PM
It took me 6 hours to get from Surrey to Hope yesterday

This is why I could never live anywhere more populated than PG!! In six hours I could have been to Ft St John and hunting already for awhile :) Good luck on your scouting today.

BigBanger
08-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Came back tonight. Spent one full day and a afternoon up on the other side of the tool booth. I saw lots off people at the start of the road but only a few k in , then nobody .
I camped last night at 3981 feet , an it was colder then I thought .
I saw my first buck ever , 3 piont at about 4800 feet , I came around a corner in my loud ass truck and there they were for a second , then gone .
I saw lots of Grouse , rabbits and two bevers .Oh ya lots of cows .Next weekend Im bringing the camper.

Thanks guys for the heads up about this area and the help .
Its a hard sport when havin at it alone . I love being out there .

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll11/neekorelli/Scouting007.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll11/neekorelli/Scouting006.jpg

Avalanche123
08-31-2008, 09:18 PM
You are lucky it didn't rain. You would have had a swimming pool above your head.

Sounds like a fun trip regardless. Keep it up!

BigBanger
08-31-2008, 09:20 PM
It did rain a bit , it wasent to bad , windy though but I kinda liked it .

Gateholio
08-31-2008, 09:31 PM
Next time make some sort of apex to your tarp.:shock:

BigBanger
08-31-2008, 09:34 PM
Next time make some sort of apex to your tarp.:shock:

I brought the axe in with me and stood it up when it started to rain.
I had peace of mind to think of that too .

tikkat3
09-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I love camping by myself, only thing is the woman doesn't like it. She thinks I am gonna get eaten by bears every time I go in the bush lol

I have hunted that area and gotten lucky, it's all about getting up high I think

Leaseman
09-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Good luck next weekend, you are definately in a goo/great area!!!

BigBanger
09-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Mike , I see you and your boy had luck on the weekend , thats great .