PDA

View Full Version : Killer calf moose in Fort Nelson

coldbuc69
08-27-2008, 10:43 PM
A story from Fort Nelson

A good friend of mine was out working in the bush and found a calf moose alone after some hunters had poached it's mother, Being concerned about the well being, he was able to catch the calf and bring it home and have it stay on his 5 acre fenced lot. when he got it home he phoned the local CO's to tell them what he had done but was only able to leave them a message. In the mean time the little calf was doing pretty good, he was eating and drinking lots, and gave his 2 little kids a real treat hanging out with this little moose. When his family went out for the afternoon, the CO's left a message on his phone that they were comming out to his place. when He got home there was no calf but a nice pool of blood that he had to hide from his kids. he had to tell his kids that the little calf must have been strong enough to leave on his own. He had talked to the guy across the street and he had seen the CO's come into his yard a shoot the little guy and throw him in the back of the truck and take off. He then contacted the CO's and they told him that was the most humane thing they could have done for the moose. But in our town there has been a least 6 black bears running around within our town, by the school playground,the hospital, and the swimming pool, the women and children are afraid to go out for walks in our town, and when people call the CO's and the police to report seeing bears walking around it will take around 30 to 45 minutes for them to show up (if they show up at all) all they do is shoot a couple of bear bangers and if that don't work they try rubber bullets? and then they put up signs that say BEAR IN AREA I just don't get it. I can see the head line in our paper. mother and son attacked by black bear, the police and the CO's were quoted saying, we should of had more signs up to protect the people of our town:eek:

Wolfman
08-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Gee, that sounds pretty brutal.

Good thing the kids weren't around when they put the little guy down ;-(

Wolfman

Caveman
08-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Maybe you could be catching the black bears and fencing them in then they might respond. Pretty Sad!!!! I'm sure they could do better :evil:

elkdom
08-27-2008, 11:16 PM
A story from Fort Nelson

A good friend of mine was out working in the bush and found a calf moose alone after some hunters had poached it's mother, Being concerned about the well being, he was able to catch the calf and bring it home and have it stay on his 5 acre fenced lot. when he got it home he phoned the local CO's to tell them what he had done but was only able to leave them a message. In the mean time the little calf was doing pretty good, he was eating and drinking lots, and gave his 2 little kids a real treat hanging out with this little moose. When his family went out for the afternoon, the CO's left a message on his phone that they were comming out to his place. when He got home there was no calf but a nice pool of blood that he had to hide from his kids. he had to tell his kids that the little calf must have been strong enough to leave on his own. He had talked to the guy across the street and he had seen the CO's come into his yard a shoot the little guy and throw him in the back of the truck and take off. He then contacted the CO's and they told him that was the most humane thing they could have done for the moose. But in our town there has been a least 6 black bears running around within our town, by the school playground,the hospital, and the swimming pool, the women and children are afraid to go out for walks in our town, and when people call the CO's and the police to report seeing bears walking around it will take around 30 to 45 minutes for them to show up (if they show up at all) all they do is shoot a couple of bear bangers and if that don't work they try rubber bullets? and then they put up signs that say BEAR IN AREA I just don't get it. I can see the head line in our paper. mother and son attacked by black bear, the police and the CO's were quoted saying, we should of had more signs up to protect the people of our town:eek:

If this relly happened there is a big problem in Ft Nelson, MOE office managment, there is a Government and MOE sanctioned and LICENCED(wildlife REHAB opperation) near Dawson Creek BC, funded by private money and approved and able to accomodate all wildlife that is injured or orphaned in North East BC, if this calf moose was destroyed,there should be a public out cry for Administrative action at the Regional Office of the MOE!, every year countless ,deer,moose elk,bear, game birds and raptorsare rehabbed and released ,successfully back into the wild! whats goin on????

huntwriter
08-27-2008, 11:46 PM
That sounds like a moronic thing to do. I don’t understand that attitude of that CO at all. What makes him think that this is the “humane” thing to do? There’re plenty stories of orphaned critters that have been reared and released successfully. In fact, if someone finds an orphaned bear they go to almost any length and trouble to rescue the “poor” thing. Must be because of the teddy bear syndrome running rampant in society. Another thing that occurred to me in your story is the discharge of a firearm near houses I thought that is not permitted. It’s not like that this has been an emergency were the CO didn’t had any other options available.

If that had happened to me I would definitely report that sort of behavior to somebody higher up in the pecking order. I even get the local newspaper involved and give the guy a little bad press. I can see the headline now. "Hunter rescues orphaned moose calf and gun totting CO kills it in the back yard."

Steeleco
08-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Maybe they should have shot the poachers and left the little guy to his own devices?

BigBanger
08-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Me two , Kinda sick .

happygilmore
08-28-2008, 03:50 AM
They could have at least let you feed it for a month or two and get some meat on its bones! jk
CO's should be more concerned about the poachers than offing the little guy.

They used to contact houdsmen to run the bears out of town with dogs and dispach them there however since the laws surounding bears got tougher alot of them got out of it.

Wildman
08-28-2008, 07:11 AM
I would question the CO's actions. They should at the very least have cleaned the blood up.

sneg
08-28-2008, 07:44 AM
something wrong with wildlife management here.

Mtnhunter
08-28-2008, 08:15 AM
That's disgusting yet not suprising! I saw a crowd gathered in town one day looking at a dazed Bald Eagle that had been electrocuted! The CO's showed up and one gets a shovel out of the back of the truck. I asked what he was doing and his reply was "he's done I'm just going to finish him off". I told him to take it to the recovery center and let them try to do something! I don't know if it ever made it but at least they didn't cave his head in in front of those little kids!

FLHTCUI
08-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Ummm Hello, the alleged incident took palce on Private Property, by alleged Co's who would know that they where Trespassing on Private Property !!!
So, I am going out ona limb to call Bravo Seirra on this one.
Until it is proven with facts and pictures I would suggest the mods lock this thread to prevent arm chair experts from accusing the CO's from doing their jobs.
Just my .02 worth .
Rob

Kechika
08-28-2008, 09:07 AM
yum..calf moose

bighornbob
08-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Can anyone say Staff BBQ.

BHB

open-sights
08-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Damn it Bighorn, beat me too it! LOL.
First off, no hunters poached the Mother of the calf, was most likely not hunters, do the math. I'm thinking feathers and cheap whiskey played a role. Secondly, what your saying is that there should be a decent bbq in Ft. Nelson this weekend?

SAVAGE300
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
yesterday on my way home from work, i came across a falcan laying on his back kicking his feet on the side of the highway I stopped and thru my fleese jacket over it and took him to the north island recovery, it was very alert, there was no one there so I brought him home and placed him in the bathtub still in my jacket, was going to take him up in the morning.it passed sometime in the night so hes going to the conservation office in nanaimo, too bad he is a gorgious bird and so rare

CHilko21
08-28-2008, 12:09 PM
That's a sad sad thing to hear. No real warning just showing up and leaving you with a pool of blood to try to explain to your kids, it's kind of sick really. Sorry to hear.

Rusty
08-28-2008, 01:38 PM
I thought there was or is a rule about trasporting live game???
Sad story though..

Gunsmoke
08-28-2008, 02:42 PM
WTF......and BC Global TV just ran a story a few weeks ago about 2 grizzly cubs that were raised in captivity and then released to the wild.

Don't make much sense to me.....and so what if this calf is raised and then released later...and it eventually is shot by a hunter....at least it would have a chance.

eastkoot
08-28-2008, 04:17 PM
What he did, bringing the moose home was illegal, and in the interest of the moose he should have left it where it was. That's the way it is in nature, poachers or not... The CO's doing what they did, questionable but probably the right thing to do for a moose that won't make it in nature??? Don't blame the CO's for buddies poor judgement.

huntwriter
08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
What he did, bringing the moose home was illegal, and in the interest of the moose he should have left it where it was. That's the way it is in nature, poachers or not... The CO's doing what they did, questionable but probably the right thing to do for a moose that won't make it in nature??? Don't blame the CO's for buddies poor judgement.

With that reasoning all wildlife sanctuaries should then be immediately closed down and all animals should be destroyed. What’s the difference of a moose been raised and a bear or bald eagle???

Even if the CO was in the right to do what he did, he still displayed very little respect by shooting a moose basically on the doorstep of someone’s residence. He could have carried the animal away and then kill it if he feels that this is the best he can do for conservation.

happygilmore
08-28-2008, 09:30 PM
Was it illegal to bring it home...yep
Was it the right thing to do...yep
The Co's cannot allow this behavior because the granola munchers that come across a baby deer or moose, or bear!... and take it home thingking they are helping it, when in reality mom might have been nearby! However if it is KNOWN that the mother has been killed than I see nothing wrong with trying to help out,
This guy has 5 acres, what would have been the harm for the co's to look the other way erease the message and go find the poachers.
Why wouldn't the co's have a booklet for people who have land like this to help them become temp rescue, raise the little guy until he's big enought to have a shot on his own... however in the end some eager hunter is going to take him because he won't fear them!
It ends the same way... just later.

wsm
08-28-2008, 10:17 PM
i generally stand on side with the co's. if it happened the way it was described, NOT THIS TIME. i would be asking how close to the house or out buildings they were when they shot the animal, and weather or not they had the permission of the land owner to be there. just my .02 cents

rocksteady
09-01-2008, 02:24 AM
and weather or not they had the permission of the land owner to be there. just my .02 cents

I do not believe they would require permission to enter. If they saw the moose running around on 5 acres, that would be classed as in "plain view", search warrant not required. However, if they had information regarding the moose being there prior to attending, they should have had a warrant..

After all, it is illegal to possess live wildlife (an offence under the Wildlife Act)...

I agree, it was the right thing to do, to bring the little guy home, but as mentioned before that could really set a bad trend for some animal activists. They may be bringing home every critter they find...

At least 2 different sides to this dilemna...Doubt if you would ever get all involved in agreement as to whats best for Bull winkle...

stixnstones
09-01-2008, 09:06 AM
wow i am not impressed at all. there was a better way to deal with this for sure.

bayou
09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
the other side to the story is printed in the open chat section maybe both threads should be put together.