PDA

View Full Version : Quads smods... hunting with a dirtbike!?

steepNdeep
08-27-2008, 02:10 PM
I've always hated riding quads... it's like riding a fat ch!ck (or so I'm told ;) )Anyone hunt with a motorbike? Anyone got a good rack or rifle system for their bike?

Looks like this hick really 'loves' his meat... :shock:

http://www.lifestyleproperties.ca/motorbike-sheep.jpg

Dirty
08-27-2008, 02:17 PM
http://www.cycleracks.com/images/TW200_Bikejpg.jpg

The yamaha tw200. I may or may not know where there is one for sale! 2007 with 90kms on it. Virtually brand new. The guy was talking about selling it. It is not the same as the one pictured above, but the same racks are available for it.

steepNdeep
08-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Wow - those are awesome racks! Looks like the futuristic version of the ole Trail 90's...

I've gotta McGyver some of those onto my bike. Here's where I start hiking from my new mule "Honda"...

http://www.lifestyleproperties.ca/bike-sNd.jpg

Big7
08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Anybody hunt using an eduro? How do you transport your rifle enroute? Obviously you could have it over your back once on the back road or trail but what about on the way there?

hillclimber
08-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Hunting with a dirtbike is fairly good. The only things i dislike about it is you have to focus more on the road and look out for pot holes instead of the bush.

The other thing is i am currently riding a 2 stroke and that aint the quietest bike:x

Gilmore
08-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I've always hated riding quads... it's like riding a fat ch!ck (or so I'm told ;) )Anyone hunt with a motorbike? Anyone got a good rack or rifle system for their bike?

Looks like this hick really 'loves' his meat... :shock:

http://www.lifestyleproperties.ca/motorbike-sheep.jpg

Looks like Gatehouse on a date.;-)

ianwuzhere
08-27-2008, 06:07 PM
ive got a 2005 yamaha bws 49cc scooter ive hunted with. cruises nice and quiet down logging roads- in mud etc sux but great for scouting. hold gun across chest, have little dirtbike style offroad tires for it when not using it on pavement. no pix rite now..

Don in BC
08-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I used to ride a Honda CT90 for many years til I got tired of slipping on wet branches on the trails while trying to look for game. Yeah, it was nice a quiet and would climb a tree if I wanted, but I found having 4 wheels under me gave me a hell of a lot more stability and obviously I could do more with a quad. Here I am with my last trip out on her.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/basil1000/Swedecreekhunts016.jpg

Mr. Friendly
08-27-2008, 06:50 PM
I used to ride a Honda CT90 for many years til I got tired of slipping on wet branches on the trails while trying to look for game. Yeah, it was nice a quiet and would climb a tree if I wanted, but I found having 4 wheels under me gave me a hell of a lot more stability and obviously I could do more with a quad. Here I am with my last trip out on her.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/basil1000/Swedecreekhunts016.jpg
I never would have thought you could take a moped hunting! :wink:

Kody94
08-27-2008, 07:56 PM
Wow - those are awesome racks! Looks like the futuristic version of the ole Trail 90's...

I've gotta McGyver some of those onto my bike. Here's where I start hiking from my new mule "Honda"...

HA! Excellent work on that photo. :) I never thought to modify the shape of a mountain that way. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Casagrande
08-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Looks like Gatehouse on a date.;-)
Kathleen's gonna love that!:evil:

shoot to kill
08-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Check out Cycle Racks @ www.cycleracks.com. They custom make racks for just about every bike.

http://www.cycleracks.com/images/xr400jpg.jpg

Barracuda
08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Yup a bike is a great way to go and if it is insured it opens up all those areas that are closed for quads between certain hours . Even in the areas that state no atv,mc . If it is legally insured and insured trucks and such are allowed then so are you ( call victoria and confirm the intent of the restrictions you will be pleasantly surprised:-D ) . and yes i do use a bike:mrgreen:

Little Hawk
08-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Howdy,

Funny, I was thinkin' of putting the same question out there. Seems like everyone is doin' the Quad thing nowadays.

Yes I hunt from a bike and I love it.
84' Honda XL-200/R 4-stroker.
I've owned her since new and she's never let me down... oh yeah, I did burn the clutch out a few years back tryin' to drag a log - weighed about a ton - back to camp.

I agree that the only bummer is that you do have to watch the road/trail more closely than you would with a quad. For me, that's a small price to pay considering:

-I can get better than 100/km on a tank of fuel.
-it has a gun rack across the handle-bars
-climbs virtually anything, long as I can stay on her
-buddy (with his 72' Honda CT/90) and I don't need a huge trailer to haul our bikes.
-with my new 2-wheeled cart I can tow my buddy or a large deer and even firewood behind me. (this thing is way cool/ I'll try to post pics of it if I can find some)

When I'm too old to ride her, I too, will probably succumb to 'Quad-itis'.

Cheers,
Terry

Dayto
08-27-2008, 10:16 PM
XR,XL,CT90-110 Are the only bike worth hunting on ..Any one who has hunted on a CT 110 knows what I mean same with a Xr-250.

sneg
08-28-2008, 07:38 AM
I m sure it is cool ride. But how about if you get an animal ? Do you de-bone it and carry , drug to the road and bring truck over ,use game cart or something else ?

Clint_S
08-28-2008, 07:48 AM
I use an old Yamaha TY175 to get to my tree stands and back. It works great for getting around gates and through narrow spots. I got it for $300 several years ago and it was worth every penny. The old trials bikes had a fair size seat for a trials and its low configuration allows me to walk it through some real rough ground as it chugs along.
Downsides are. it's a 2 stroke (noisy) and you can't haul much even with a rack. You also can't rubberneck as much on a bike as on a quad you have to watch where that front wheel is going or you'll get dumped.

steepNdeep
08-28-2008, 09:53 AM
Right on boys!! Yeah the bike isn't so good for road hunting, but it gets up tight spots that a quad can't... I plan to pack out a mulie in my backpack this year, but a nice rack would be great. It's almost time to change to the stock pipe...

Lil' Hawk - I want to see that cart pic. If my dad was still around he'd build one...

Shoot-to-kill - thanks - that's exactly what I was lookin' for.

Don - LMAO, that shot is priceless!!! :lol:

SSSS - Yeah, the Mount Gimli area is pretty cool! I always liked the look of it up there... :mrgreen:

newhunterette
08-28-2008, 10:04 AM
we use both

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/williams%20lake%20and%20cabin/DSC_0472.jpg

Big7
08-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Nice bike...I have the same kind (a little older) - Honda XL 500 (1982)

Gateholio
08-28-2008, 10:32 AM
How loud are they, and can you make them very quiet with after market muflers? I hate the whiiiiiine of bikes and ATV's int he woods.

newhunterette
08-28-2008, 11:10 AM
How loud are they, and can you make them very quiet with after market muflers? I hate the whiiiiiine of bikes and ATV's int he woods.

Clarke - I don't know what Peter did to these but they are very quiet - we just got the dirt bike from a fellow HBC member and it is a dream according to Braydon

the quad I never hear it until it is almost upon me

Barracuda
08-28-2008, 11:17 AM
just remember that the larger the single cyl engine the bigger the low frequency report even at levels we cant hear and it travels litterally KM,s .

BiG Boar
08-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I am just about to "invest" (its probably not going up in value) in a 7'x14' enclosed trailer. And buy a quad. Probably a honda or a polaris. I have a 450 4 stroke yammy, I would just need a quieter pipe. Maybe this is the way to go this year. Would be easy to weld up a gun rack across the front handle bars, but i like the idea of a sleve. Also you could just stand up and shoot from it because you wouldnt be touching the vehicle. Only terrible thing is snow. Cant go more than 30 yards up a steep grade without studs in the tires. Not sure if quads can drive up steep mountain hills in the snow though. Any thoughts?

steepNdeep
08-28-2008, 04:56 PM

Mine came with a stock pipe, which is street legal and v. quiet (but loses ~20horsepower) I plan to re-use it for hunting (it also helps quiet the whiiiiine of guys w/out bikes ;) )

Barracuda
08-28-2008, 05:44 PM
where did you come up with 20 hp for the muffler LOL!

normally the biggest differnce is more in the how and where the power is created in the rpms and only a few HP in total increase .

your bike does not look to be a dp bike ? isnt it a crf? I think if you want the 20hp your gonna have to go to a BB kit.

johnes50
08-28-2008, 07:02 PM
I used to hunt on a Yamaha TY250, but sold it years ago. It went anywhere, but it was LOUD and the footpegs were way to high for comfort.

A couple of years ago I decided to get another dirtbike, a KDX200. Lots of power. I woke up in the middle of the trail and realized I was going to have to drive 20 km's back to the truck with a shattered wrist. An hour and a half of surgery later and a T plate, 9 screws, and 3 rods holding my wrist together, I decided I was too old for this crap and that 4 wheels were better for me.

I now drive a 4x4 Tracker. Doesn't go quite as many places, but it goes to most of the places I want to go. I really like the windshild wipers.

Funny, but I think bikes are great in the bush, just not for me anymore.

steepNdeep
08-28-2008, 08:22 PM
where did you come up with 20 hp for the muffler LOL!

It's an XR650R - You're right the memory is fading - it was 27% NOT horsepower - with the mods it's about 12 hp:

"The stock bike is strangled, on purpose. In order to meet strict emission requirements, the bike has a horribly restrictive air inlet, a tiny opening in the muffler/spark arrestor and a reducer in the carb manifold that's half the size it should be.

With the restrictions removed (and properly jetted), the bike comes alive and pumps out 27 percent more horsepower, all the way up to 55 strong ponies, about the same as Campbell's race bike from the 1998 Baja 1000.""

Barracuda
08-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I was trying for the life of me to figure out your bike:???:

Nice bike now all you need is a clarke or acerbis tank to go some distance.

I had an xr 650l that i purchased new in 94 if i recall, After the warrenty was up i rejetted it replaced both tires with kenda trackmaster II's , replaced the muffler insert with one i had made at one of the local shops , K&N filter with an opened up air box , installed a rear rack and a Clarke 25 ltr tank. I loved that bike and figured i would have it forever. unfortunatly some scumbag stole it .

After that i had several other ds bikes and i now have an xt350 that is used as a commuter.
Anyone liveing in maple ridge knows that to get across the ferry a bike is the best way so it stays insured all year long .
I love rideing bikes but after a spine injury I cant ride nearly as long or in the same manner as i used too and smaller and lighter bikes are a better choice for me now .
I like the looks of the new Kawasaki KLX 250 Dual sport bike.

Bushman Brown
08-29-2008, 06:50 AM
I own a 2005 CRF250R i was wondering if i should bring it on my elk trip just to get from A to B then hike! but i have decided against i think it would just be a pain in the ass carrying all my gear and a bow and trying to pay attention to the road, plus i have the loudest pipe on the planet on it so its probably for the better!

Cedarstrip
08-29-2008, 07:23 AM
My family has been using Honda CT90's for as long as I can remember, and we love em!
Easy to transport, quiet, economical, and they actually can go places a quad can't. Yes, there are drawbacks when it comes to dragging an animal out, but that's what brothers are for isn't it?
He has a quad, so we've got it covered.

steepNdeep
08-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Nice bike now all you need is a clarke or acerbis tank to go some distance.

I had an xr 650l that i purchased new in 94 if i recall, After the warrenty was up i rejetted it replaced both tires with kenda trackmaster II's , replaced the muffler insert with one i had made at one of the local shops , K&N filter with an opened up air box , installed a rear rack and a Clarke 25 ltr tank. I loved that bike and figured i would have it forever. unfortunatly some scumbag stole it .

Right on! Sounds like a great bike! That blows it was stolen! :mad: I'm debating about licensing this thing. I rode in Van. for several years and barely survived the Hongcouver drivers without a scratch. Good to hear you're still out there despite the back... I definitely stay closer to the ground in my old age... ;)

My bro and I have had 7 bikes over the years including an Interceptor 750, CR250, XR500, Ninja 600 and two GSXR750's... I debated btw. the CRF450X and this, but I wanted bullet-proof dependability for the back country and the track bike was just too finicky. It's all opened up and has a Pro Circuit T4 pipe and the Baja tank. I just rode 80 hard km's on the weekend and didn't hit the reserve... It SNORTS power and handle the tight single track decently once you're in the groove. :D My brother just bought a new 450R, so I can poach it periodically.

I figure with a deboned animal in it, I'll just let my pack straps off till it sits on the seat behind me to take some weight. Beats the 7km hump out... Have a good one!

longleader
08-30-2008, 07:48 AM
Just curious about the legality of transporting a firearm in plain sight on public roads (Provincial Highways and secondary roads, not forest service roads). Without going through the pain of trying to look it up, what have you people out there run into in this regard? I have thought of using my Yamaha XT 225 during the earlier, warmer part of deer season, more to get to where I hunt rather than to actually spend much time hunting from. 90 mpg sure beats 14 mpg, and the bike is insured anyway...

Years ago I used to sling the rifle over my shoulder and jump on the bike (XT 350) and take a look for bears in the spring, never had any trouble. But I am a bit older and a bit more cautious now, and attitudes have changed a bit as well, not to mention the laws.

I suppose I could run down to the local RCMP detachment and inquire. Somehow I just keep putting that off....:)

mark
08-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Just curious about the legality of transporting a firearm in plain sight on public roads (Provincial Highways and secondary roads, not forest service roads). Without going through the pain of trying to look it up, what have you people out there run into in this regard? I have thought of using my Yamaha XT 225 during the earlier, warmer part of deer season, more to get to where I hunt rather than to actually spend much time hunting from. 90 mpg sure beats 14 mpg, and the bike is insured anyway...

Years ago I used to sling the rifle over my shoulder and jump on the bike (XT 350) and take a look for bears in the spring, never had any trouble. But I am a bit older and a bit more cautious now, and attitudes have changed a bit as well, not to mention the laws.

I suppose I could run down to the local RCMP detachment and inquire. Somehow I just keep putting that off....:)

Ive been wondering the same thing, Ive recently purchased a yammy TW 200 like the one in the earlier pic. Ive put handle bar gun racks on it as well as some saddle bags, and its an awesome bush bike, probably 4 times the gas mileage of a quad and street legal. I cant see anything illegal about packing the rifle on the handle bars, but when traffic passes me and sees a 300 mag pointed at their head, they might make some calls.
An external frame pack is nice because the bottom of the frame sits on the seat carrying the bulk of the load!

steepNdeep
08-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Ive been wondering the same thing, Ive recently purchased a yammy TW 200 like the one in the earlier pic. Ive put handle bar gun racks on it as well as some saddle bags, and its an awesome bush bike

Right on Mark! Got any pics of the bike w/ rack? :cool:

Gateholio
08-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Just curious about the legality of transporting a firearm in plain sight on public roads (Provincial Highways and secondary roads, not forest service roads). :)

To leglaly transport an unrestricted firearm in or on a motor vehicle, it must be

UNLOADED.

You are not required to protect the weak minded from the traumatic effects of viewing a firearm.8)

However, in urban/heavily populated areas it may be prudent to slip it in a soft case that you can sling on your back like a backpack to avoid attention of police. If they get a call about a "crazy guy on a motorcycle driving around with a high powered sniper rifle" they have to respond.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-02-2008, 06:21 AM
X 2 on the TW.

I love driving it straight to the bush from my house. I probably get out 10x as much because of the cost savings.

I thought I was ordering a rack like the one in the pic (as it was $114:sad:) but it turned out the weight capacity of the one I got was a measily 14lbs.....although 14 lbs is certainly a conservative rating.

When I train for my sheep hunts, I take my backpack to work which usually has a good 75 lbs in it. As Mark said an external frame rests nicely on the back of the seat and all you have to do is balance the load.

I may have to look into the saddle bags that Mark mentioned.

When I first got the bike I called the local RCMP and was told that I "should" cover my rifle when riding....and he also told me to make sure that I have the neceessary paperwork as someone would be sure to report me....hasn't happenned yet:smile:.

I sure got loads of looks yesterday when I headed out for an evening bowhunt......all the those looks were positive and half of those were from the other other sex:-o.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Battle_Scarred_Bruin_009.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7948&perpage=18&ppuser=1509)

My bike has now been in on several kills....as well as several "other" adventures.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Archery_Moose_2006_001.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7872&size=big&cat=&perpage=18&ppuser=1509)

SSS

hunter1947
09-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Cool pic SSS http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

steepNdeep
09-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Right on Brent! That pic of the bike barge is AWESOME!! Where did you get the raft? :cool:

Stone Sheep Steve
09-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Right on Brent! That pic of the bike barge is AWESOME!! Where did you get the raft? :cool:

Dad built it the day before I got there....which kind of did him in since our hunt was so short. A chainsaw and some spikes is all you need:cool:.

He built a bigger one a few years earlier and hauled my Uncle's argo 25 miles down the lake to trap an area that he hadn't trapped for several decades.
This raft a little undersized for our needs as we couldn't get it up on plane...made for a slow 6 hour "troll":roll:. Luckily we had "blue-bird" weather....a rare occasion on that lake.

SSS

ElkMasterC
09-02-2008, 09:54 AM

HA! Excellent work on that photo. :smile: I never thought to modify the shape of a mountain that way. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

That's quite obviously Molten Metal Mountain, in the headwaters of Frenchman's Creek.
Obbbbbviously!
;-)

steepNdeep
09-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Dad built it the day before I got there....which kind of did him in since our hunt was so short. A chainsaw and some spikes is all you need:cool:.

He built a bigger one a few years earlier and hauled my Uncle's argo 25 miles down the lake to trap an area that he hadn't trapped for several decades.
This raft a little undersized for our needs as we couldn't get it up on plane...made for a slow 6 hour "troll":roll:. Luckily we had "blue-bird" weather....a rare occasion on that lake.

SSS

WOW!!! Now I can see where you get your hardcore hunting ethic from!! That's definitely a cool trip with your Dad - great adventure!! 8) Also definitely lucky with the weather on that lake - coulda been 'fun' if it decided to blow!

mark
09-02-2008, 09:43 PM
heres my new set-up, quiet and super cheap on fuel!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_2878_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=10353&size=big&cat=500)

Stone Sheep Steve
09-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Mark

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pick you out driving down the street in that pimped-out hunting rig:cool:.

I'm jealous! Need to work on my modifications.

SSS

steepNdeep
09-03-2008, 08:13 AM
SCHWEET rig Mark!! Can't wait to see 'er loaded with a hawg this fall... :cool: