PDA

View Full Version : any ideas

memphis
08-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Hey guys and gals,
Im looking for any ideas for fly fishin spots around nanaimo that DONT require a boat. Im still new to the island due to always being gone to work and dont know anyone out here so im starting from scratch. I went to a few shops and basiclaly walked out with out a single ounce of help, or direction. I aint looking for secret spots just somewhere to drop my line and maybe have a good ol hike in with the dog.
I know i can spin or jig up at westwood or diver lake which is right down the street but would really like to get the fly rod out there.
Ill understand if yall aint want to give up the good spots so any sh$tty spots will do.

Thanks

358win
08-27-2008, 01:45 PM
memphis. This brush is so thick & close to the water you'll have a tough time fly fishing from shore anywhere. Tonnes of little lakes if you have a float tube tho...

riverbandit
08-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Head towords port alberni. Just as you come into cathedral grove{macmillan prov park) look for a pullout on your right buy I think the first bridge (two real close together). Park there and follow trail north to the rivermouth about 5 min walk. Nice sandbar with lots of room to cast near the inflow of cameron creek where it flows into cameron lake. Some very nice browns and cutts have been taken here. I would use large streamers (minnows) as the bigger trout feed on the small kokanee in the lake. Good luck and remember that the biggies are needed for the gene pool. Have fun and hope this helps

Riverbandit

memphis
08-27-2008, 11:50 PM
thanks guys,

I know i have to find me a good deal on them tubes to get on some of our lakes. Thanks for that riverbandit, ill check that out soon. Im always looking to keep the gene pool in good condition, good to see some out there still keep this in mind. Muchly appreciated

memphis

SAVAGE300
08-28-2008, 11:01 AM
hey you could also try colier dam, used to take the kids there always got trout, how can you live on the island and not have somekind of boat?

memphis
08-29-2008, 12:55 AM
i know i need a boat, its in the works, my excuse is i spend 7-8 months a year working out of the country and the wife gives me a tado list longer then the days in a month. im looking into a pontoon, atleast it'll get me out there finally. thanks for that that savage300, when i do get my water wings ill be sure to tell the wife yall said we cant live on the island without some kinda boat! works for me!!