PDA

View Full Version : Fraser River Sheep

BCRiverBoater
08-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Just sending a few feelers out for anyone who has some experience hunting sheep on the Fraser in the open season. I have heard the chances of finding a full curl ram are slim to none hence the popularity in the LEH draws.

I have a riverboat and have been thinking for a few years that I may come down one year and give it a whirl. If anyone had some info on if it would be worth while or not please PM me.

Also I would be willing to bring boat down and find a partner and take him with me for exchange for some info. Also could look at some sort of swap or deal for future thinhorn hunt.

Same thing could go for bighorns as the Californian's.

Anyways...not expecting in to show up on here so PM's will work fine.

jml11
08-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Why hasn't anyone posted anything...LOL

I have no experience hunting the Fraser Sheep but do know that there are full curls out there but you do have to hunt them extermely hard to find them. I say give it a shot though!

Thought I would post a couple photos of two full curl rams taken last year in Region 5, these photos are public knowledge and to the best of my knowledge have already been posted on here so no harm in showing them again! I love looking at these photos! One was guided other was not.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/219.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/BCRam.jpg

BCrams
08-27-2008, 07:49 AM
I heard quite the story about the fellow holding the second ram getting all greedy and shooting the ram from under his partner who had spotted it first and was glassing up a second ram for him to shoot when the gun went off. But as it is, could be just a rumour. I doubt he's too popular these days for a sheep partner.

The first ram was guided by Alana Oestrich who runs Black Dome Outfitters. For those who do not know where that is, Black Dome is right in the heart of the Empire Valley and her guide territory.

Now you say you have a jet boat.....hmmmm

bigwhiteys
08-27-2008, 08:31 AM
I heard quite the story about the fellow holding the second ram getting all greedy and shooting the ram from under his partner who had spotted it first and was glassing up a second ram for him to shoot when the gun went off. But as it is, could be just a rumour. I doubt he's too popular these days for a sheep partner.

It sounds like just that... A story... If it was my partner he wouldn't be smiling in those pics... "Whoever spots it has first refusal"

A few years ago on my way up deer hunting in November I saw a pig of a ram along the banks of the fraser... He had a harem of about 6 or 7 ewes and there was more then one truck pulled over watching him. He was a very nice ram.

Carl

mark
08-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Ive jet boat hunted the fraser plenty for mulies, I see sheep all the time without even trying. Never seen a ram even close to legal in the past 6 years!
If yer gonna give it a go, churn cr. is the launch, you can find sheep both up and down river from there. If I had the time, id love to join ya, the country is awesome!

BCRiverBoater
08-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Well I know nothing of the area and quite honestly have not even looked at any maps. I was wondering if it would be worth pursuing a trip down there next year for a week or two. I would surely be looking for some help in some places to start and like I said early I would like a partner in crime from that area.

dino
08-28-2008, 01:23 PM
I know where there is a bunch of theese guys .http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=iQh1bbKpZGc
this was close the river and there was a bunch of them and it was open season,but no full curls

srupp
08-28-2008, 02:43 PM
hmmmm awww yes the CAL sheep thread rears its head again..lol..OOPS

well last saturday nite and sunday..awwww never mind..

Steven