PDA

View Full Version : Caping Animals

Avalanche123
08-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Does anybody have any good internet sites for caping animals? I am pretty much self-taught and if I ever do get a sheep, I'd like to ensure I do the best job possible.

Thanks in advance.

Avalanche123
08-26-2008, 07:43 PM
What I am looking for specifically is whether or not you complete the job in the field or carry the full head and cape out and do the job in a more work prone environment.

Also, if temps stay below zero, is salting necessary?

Deadshot
08-26-2008, 08:05 PM
I have a vid titled "Skinning & Caping Large Game" starring Pete Gierke. Pretty informative. The sleeve for it says 'www.taxidermyvideos.com' or try 1-888-430-7902. Haven't watched it for awhile but I think he does a bou & an antelope among others.
Hell, I might just watch it tonight!

Rock Doctor
08-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Everything can be done in the field.
I cary a scalple handle and a bunch of blades for this. Much easier to split the eyes, ears, lips and nose that way. A simple piece of wood pushed into the ear helps with those "long eared" animals.

If temps are below 0, there is no need for salt. Pretty hard to count on that though.

RD

Sitkaspruce
08-26-2008, 08:14 PM
I have always caped up to the back of the neck and then finished it off back at camp. I find that after a long stock/hike and after the kill, that I need to come back down, so the rest gives me the chance to calm down so I do not loose any fingers or such:mrgreen:

I know guys who have done it at the kill site and if you do have the time it is doable, just not for me. I NEED the time to get things back in order.

As for the cold, as long as it is cool out and you have fleshed it, it will be fine for a few days. If in camp for longer than a few days, salt down, roll it up and leave it over night, then shake the cape out (away from camp) and re salt, roll up and bag. I have found that if the weather is not smokin hot, that you can air dry the cape a bit by hanging it in the shadows and allowing the wind to dry out the cape. I do this my clients moose capes as there is a lot of liquid in a moose cape:grin:

Cheers

SS

Avalanche123
08-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the link to the video. I will look into it.

I am going the last 10 days of the season so I think below zero temps can be more the norm. However.....how much salt should I bring?

I like the idea of finishing the work off in camp too. I would imagine it would make things much lighter too to pack out without having to worry about a full sheep head.

So here is the dumb part of my question, what is the best way to remove the horns or does it come off as part of a skull plate?

srupp
08-26-2008, 08:31 PM
I always just remove the cape/head from the animal..then finish taking the complete hide off the head in camp then splitting the lips, ears, nose and around the eyes @ camp...

cheers

Steven

BCbillies
08-26-2008, 08:32 PM
The horns stay attached to the skull although they can be removed but not necessary. For the last 10 days of the season you don't really need salt but just in case I would bring a few pounds (3 to 5).

The best way to skin a head out is to watch a taxidermist and/or friend who is good at it. I did this about 3 times with some active involvement on my part. You learn some good pointers this way.

I find caping best after I've had a good night rest. I take the better part of the day to clean the meat and cape the critter - don't rush the project!

Deadshot
08-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Usually carry 2lbs of salt in my pack.
Your only going to lose the lower jaw from the skull.

Avalanche123
08-26-2008, 08:36 PM
I would imagine cold temps can work against you too right? If you wake up in the AM and everything is frozen, then am I correct in assuming it is easier to work on the cape once it has thawed?

So....if the horns can stay attached to the skull, I guess the whole skull is coming off the mountain. And in that case, is there a reason to even try and get the hide off if it ASAP? There is no weight savings right?

BCbillies
08-26-2008, 08:45 PM
The horn and upper jaw need to be intact for the proper C.I. The lower jaw can stay on the mountain.

For an October Stone hunt you could bring the whole head down the mountain and home - just make sure you keep it cold and get it into the freezer asap.

srupp
08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
salt 2# per cape..

cheers

Steven

Mtnhunter
08-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Caping any animal is tricky if you haven't done it! If you or a buddy shoots anything before you go cape it out for practice!
Be most careful around the eyes as this is the most difficult area to hide skinning cuts!
For sheep cape it up to the neck and cut the head from the rest before you gut it! The hollow hair will soak up blood and you wont get it out! Also with sheep you have to be careful tying it to your pack as the rope can break the hairs off ( don't half hitch around his nose and cinch it down, secure the horns)
A 2L pop bottle full of salt is enough to salt and resalt a sheep cape!
Good Luck!!

todbartell
08-27-2008, 12:16 AM
approx how many beer will a guy need to drink during the caping procedure?

Avalanche123
08-27-2008, 07:24 AM

Depends how many you hide in your partners pack before you head up the mountain!

Thanks for the additional insight Mtnhunter too. These are all great tricks of the trade.

Fosey
08-27-2008, 08:44 AM
There is a good bear skinning example on the Alaska Fish and Game website. It shows how to do the eyes,lips and ears which is the hardest part. The address is www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=bearhunt.skinning (http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=bearhunt.skinning) or go into the ADF&G website and go into bear hunting. The only difference with a full mount sheep or deer is you go from the back and over the top of the head. Try practicing on all your animals to keep the knowledge.

mainland hunter
08-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Caping any animal is tricky if you haven't done it! If you or a buddy shoots anything before you go cape it out for practice!

This is the best advice. Dont wait to practice on a trophy. It can be tricky but with a little practice anyone can do it, just go slow. Try to watch someone who's done it before.

Angel
01-14-2009, 10:15 AM
I know this is an old post but does anyone have any pictures of their capes or in action caping. I havent had the experience of doing a cape myself and i would like to learn and i havent found a good vid yet. Any input would be great.

huntcoop
01-14-2009, 01:03 PM

6 - 8 prior to the evening festivities. Once darkness arrives cut into a medium to large bottle of Crown. :tongue: