PDA

View Full Version : Bears and deer

brian
08-25-2008, 01:57 PM
I was doing a bit of pre-season scouting over the weekend. I was checking out a new area and the unanticipated swarms of mosquitoes prevented me from really getting out of the truck and doing some bush whacking. So I couldn't get a good fix on deer sign this time around. But within a kilometer driving down the FSR I saw a younger blackie and within 2 clicks there was a coyote on the road. While driving I saw a good amount of of bear sign but not a whole lot of deer sign. I was thinking about what I was seeing and it made me curious, does seeing a lot of predators mean there is a lot of prey hidden away or would the deer become nervous and simply move out of the area? Obviously I'm going to go back into the area better equipped to deal with the mosquitoes, but I'm just curious to know what the more experienced hunters here would say.

Mr. Dean
08-25-2008, 02:12 PM
little deer sign = little deer #'s IMO.
But if you didn't get out and look for some, the sign *could* be there. Just not noticed from the bug free zone of the P/U.

Sorry, that's the best I can offer.

elkdom
08-25-2008, 03:35 PM
wild game doesent like being eaten by mosquitoes or black flies just as humans dont like it, so the game seeks out wallows or cool breezy hillsides, any where to find relief from the nasty bugs, bears dont seem so afected by bugs as they also like to eat ants or whatever fits into thier mouth,as for a coyoty or a black bear sending deer running for parts unknown, it dont work that way, although ungulates will avoid areas with carnivors while they are 'calving' bearing young,once the calves,fawns are on thier feet its pretty much back to normal, just feeding and avoiding the bugs!, OH and also pick up trucks! lol

jeeper
08-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Find where the deer are bedding and youlle se much more sign !

hunter1947
08-25-2008, 04:59 PM
In order to satisfy yourself you should slap on a net over your head or soak yourself down with bug repellent and then go in and see for yourself ,you just never know.

If it is a loose cause then you know nothing worth while in going back.
Thats how you eliminate areas ,go for it bud.

johnes50
08-25-2008, 05:34 PM
As far as I know, there aren't any coyotes on the Island. So you probably saw a wolf. Maybe you should get a wolf tag and head back to the same area.

Wolfman
08-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Yeah, bugs suck but it might be worth wading into the bush a bit to check for sign.

Wolfman

brian
08-25-2008, 06:53 PM
johnes, I wasn't on the island I was on mainland.

But if you didn't get out and look for some, the sign *could* be there. Just not noticed from the bug free zone of the P/U.Yeah I was figuring that I just wasn't getting a chance to see the deer sign, or more appropriately not giving myself the chance to see it if it was there.

wild game doesent like being eaten by mosquitoes or black flies just as humans dont like it, so the game seeks out wallows or cool breezy hillsides, any where to find relief from the nasty bugs, bears dont seem so afected by bugs as they also like to eat ants or whatever fits into thier mouth,as for a coyoty or a black bear sending deer running for parts unknown, it dont work that way, although ungulates will avoid areas with carnivors while they are 'calving' bearing young,once the calves,fawns are on thier feet its pretty much back to normal, just feeding and avoiding the bugs! This is very helpful information. I have a good idea of some places to check out once I get back there with some repellent.

If it is a loose cause then you know nothing worth while in going back.
Thats how you eliminate areas ,go for it bud.I fully intend to, but this time better prepared. I'm from Winnipeg, never figured I'd see Manitoba style mosquitoes here on the coast.

Every time I go out I come back with more questions, this is all very helpful information.

edit. I just saw your post Wolfman... yeah I did wade out in the bush a few times, but not far enough and long enough to really satisfy my curiosity.