PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope Opinions

GAME TIME
08-24-2008, 10:19 PM
I know there are alot of experienced hardcore optic guys out there so I should have no trouble getting great feedback from some veteren brains. if you had to pick a spotting scope today for elk, moose, and mulleys what kind & power would be the ONE. Price is not a problem, but if I can get the same QUALITY for a better price thats a no brainer.
WHAT IS THE BEST OF THE BEST

Step up and drown me in opinins!!!
its almost GAMES TIME

Gateholio
08-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Leica, Zeiss Swarovski...You are always going to get these names pop up when you talk about good optics.

Bushnell Elite, Leupold, Nikon are just down the line a bit.

Most use 15-45 and find them pretty good.

RMG
08-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Kowa TSN-883 Prominar

srupp
08-24-2008, 11:35 PM
"BEST OF THE BEST "..:shock:

HMMM ..SWAROVSKI ATS 65 mm HIGH DEFINITION.. with a 20-60 x eyepiece...I DID like the 80 mm however it was just too big and heavy to pack

I tried the HD Leupold..still some design issues they need to deal with but good glass..

Zeiss also had exellent glass

I looked through em all and went with the Swaro ATS 65 MM in HIGH DEFINITION ( HD) and yes I could clearly see the diference in HD..
and also got the seperate 20-60 power eyepiece..and the "nylon /cordura case"...

Hm that fulfills BOTH your caveats..no restriction on $$$$$ this setup should run ya $3,000 and optically it is THE BEST.

scope is $1839
eyepiece is $539
stay on case is $ 229
add tax and etc ..chews through $3k pretty fast...but amazing clearity and color and the details it picks up even a KILOMETERS..

cheers

Steven

todbartell
08-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Kowa TSN-883 Prominar

I've been playing with a Kowa 773 Prominar, and it's wicked.

ElectricDyck
08-25-2008, 06:49 AM
I just picked up a bushnell elite and so far am happy with it for the money I spent. Seems light and easy to pack. We went to the range yesterday and used it to shoot 300 yards quite effectively. I think a quality tripod is just as important as the scope. I've used both of my wifes tripods so far and they've come up short on smooth movement and shakeyness.

Brambles
08-25-2008, 07:06 AM
The Zeiss diascope 85 is rated the best scope you can buy by a few birding forum types. Too bulky for me so I settled for the Zeiss Diascope 65, doesn't hurt I found a deal on one either.

Kechika
08-25-2008, 07:20 AM
As SRUPP said.Swaro ATS HD 65

tuchodi
08-25-2008, 08:47 AM
As a lot of guy's have pointed out if you go with Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski you cant go wrong all are about the same quality. It just like asking which is better Chev, Ford or Dodge so it comes down to personal preferance. Decide what you are going to use it for mostly or a wide range of situations and that may help in the optics size and physical size for backpacking etc, and then go and look throught all of them and spend a bit of time as each one will fit you eyes a little differant and the only way you will know is to spend a few minutes looking throught them as when you get into the field hunting you can be staring through them for many hours and the last thing you want is for them not to be comfortable for your eyes. Spend more time trying them out then you would buying a truck. M2C

rishu_pepper
08-25-2008, 09:47 AM
I'd have to believe the Swaro mentioned above is the best set-up available.

For a more "economical" approach (at 1G), the USO spotting scope has also generated some rave reviews:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235101&highlight=uso+spotting

Mr. Friendly
08-25-2008, 10:00 AM
go to islandeyepiece.com and check out the spotting binoscope they have listed by Antares. it's supposed to be some skookum. :)

08-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Remember that weight and size can be a big factor if you're going to use a scope for backpack sheep hunting etc. Many of the European scopes, even though they have the best glass, are just to big. I've used a Bosch & Lomb Elite for many years and found it pretty good. The comment about the tripod is right on, a good scope with a shaky unstable tripod is very frustrating.

Avalanche123
08-25-2008, 05:48 PM
As SRUPP said.Swaro ATS HD 65

And as srupp and Kechika said,,,,,,Swaro ATS HD 65

gbear
08-25-2008, 06:38 PM
I recently bought a Zeiss Diascope 85mm. There is no going back for me now. I just took it on a backpack sheep hunt. Yes, it's a bit more weight to carry, but what you can see from it makes up for the extra weight.

Fisher-Dude
08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
As Srupp, Kechika, Rishu, and A123 said, Swarovski HD 65. However, mine's an STS, because I'm straight, and those other guys are all a bit "angled", if ya know what I mean. :wink:

358mag
08-25-2008, 09:17 PM
The Zeiss diascope 85 is rated the best scope you can buy by a few birding forum types. Too bulky for me so I settled for the Zeiss Diascope 65, doesn't hurt I found a deal on one either.
Yuppers Zeiss Daiscope65 gets my vote ,used diff many types of spotting scopes ,but for my eyes and user freindy the Zeiss wins hands down.

srupp
08-25-2008, 10:30 PM
I think that "quality " optics save you time, effort and are well worth the 1 pound or two extra..

On any typical high country hunt I spend days and days glassing from early AM till last rays of evening...I find more game with exellent optics and even as important I can ELIMINATE the majority of animals from quite extreme distances without wasting precious time and my limited effort ..in the long run far better than average or junk optics or buying TOTALLY on weight..

With great optics I dont get eyestrain and can glass the entire day in comfort and I think allows me to do a much better job.

I think that the ZEISS and SWARO have the best glass optically speaking..and you simply cant go wrong with either..HOWEVER I can tell the difference between HD and regular glass...

Steven

Mr. Friendly
08-25-2008, 11:05 PM
you know...I've always wondered how 'weatherproof' they are, but I'm into astronomy so scopes and binoculars are real big to me. there are a series of 66mm, 72mm & 80mm ED scopes that are inexpensive compared to all these premium units being spoken about and they will have 90% the optical quality for half the price, less the half the price and a mechanical fit/finish that is second to none.

Orion Telescopes down in the US has em, Antares has a few, SkyWatcher Telescope has a few, William Optic, Celestron, Meade and a few other brands. the nicer thing is you can get them on the used market with a nice whack off it and still have supreme quality. let me find out how these scopes would handle inclement weather (astronomers don't go out in the rain, you know)...because if it's not an issue for them, you may wish to consider them! :)

Spitzer
08-26-2008, 07:18 AM
According to birder reviews 2008 the Kowa TSN-883 Prominar and the TSN-774 Prominar are better than the Swaro, Leica, Zeiss.

http://www.livingbird.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=272&srcid=265#top