PDA

View Full Version : ladder stands

BigfishCanada
08-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Guys, im thinking of getting a ladder stand so I can start taking kids in the bush with me. Does anyone use one, Is it possible that I can attach to a quad then assemble say on a friday t hen take down on the sunday or are they a big pain the ass to assemble and disemble?

Any feedback would be awesome, im willing to pay around $300.

Ddog
08-23-2008, 11:07 AM
i dont have a ladder stand that is an all in one , but i do have several treestands and by far my favorite is a ladder. A friend of mine made me a ladder it is three 6 foot sections and one 2 foot section. i love the ladder, easy to put together and stand up to the tree, treestand is usually up and anchored in under 15 minutes. I would recommend a ladder to anyone, they are relatively easy to carry with the treestand strapped on your back. cabelas has lots of styles available.
cheers.........ddog

gbear
08-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I have a ladder stand I bought made by Hunter's Specialty. I like it. It has three 5 foot sections, and then the seat part. I have been able to strap it to my quad and take it in to where I want to set it up. It's a bit wider then the quad, but as long as the trail isn't to brushy, it works.

Just a word of caution I learned. It's much better to have 2 people set up and take down. One needs to hold the ladder while the other climbs up to strap it on or undo the straps. Something I tried last year that I liked is I used a ratchet tiedown strap about 2/3 of the way up to hold the stand more secure to the tree. This was in addition to the strap that comes with the stand that goes around the tree at the top. I found having this 2nd strap made it much safer setting up and taking down. At least it felt that way.

todbartell
08-23-2008, 11:33 AM
I have a 2 person 15' ladderstand made by BigGameTreestands, it's the 'Big buddy' model

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Treestand_4_.jpg

its not something you'll want to take down too often........or pack - weighs 90 lbs