PDA

View Full Version : First curls part 2

6 K
08-23-2008, 12:52 AM
O.k. Get closer don't get seen. I gathered up my goodies and moved across the finger I was on and up the draw as far as I could go and still drop down into the drainage. From here I could go either way up toward the rams or carry on with the dayplan. The spotting scope reviled what I had guessed. I was looking at my second legal ram and darn if he wasn't in a nasty spot. Well what now. A friend of mine once told me "I never ask myself how I am going to get up there. Only how am I going to get my animal down from there" so I started with that. This was the same shute I assended two days previous to get right on top. It is a serious grunt especially near the top where the scree is small. I didn't have to go there, the rams were down the ridge from that point and the ground was cobble hopefuly more stable. Below that was morane then glacier, then more morane into the draw below where I was now. I knew that I would have to go half a click further down the basin before I could get back up and over this ridge but that seemed unsignifigant I had been up that section a few times. The fact was this was doable, tough yes but isn't that part of why we hunt these? Then that taunting jerk voice in my head pipes up. "You've been asking God for six years for an opertunity not a gimme but an opertunity at a legal ram and here it is. So are you going to cry off or get at it. Make up your mind! Those curls aren't going to stay there all day" Sometimes I really hate that jerk, I am positive he is at least partly insane.
6:55am The rams are feeding/milling about not moving too fast near a large land mark. I can get within 350yds before breaking cover. There are only two animals in the area and the one I want is easly I.D.able. O.K. I am off, down into the draw fair bit of rock rolling but I got to be a km. away as the crow flies. Cross the morane and out of sight. Up to the glacier driving my polls in hard with each step, angle across to the edge of the cobble bluff. All this took roughly an hour. I had two choises to get up to the point where I would reapear in their field of view. I chose the one that would take me the closest to the last know point. Who knew if they would even still be there. In a few yards I found my polls to be hindering and noisey. I remembered that B.C.billies told me last year " They hear rocks falling all the time but the sound of your carbide tips will betray you" so I stoped and put the polls in the pack. I wanted my rifle in my hands but I needed them to help paw my way up. Everything was loose, rocks fell with every step, most of them all the way back down to the glacier, so I allowed myself no more than four before stopping and reglassing. It had to be through each foot of elevation exposed me to countless posible bedding spotsand it had been nearly 70min since I had last seen them. My land mark was a pyramid shape piece of rock coming out from the main face of the mountian. I could see a most of the way to the bace of that now, still no rams. I decieded to get a range to it and several other points of my surroundings, good thing I did I was estimating 100yds farther than things actually were. Only 270yds to the top of the pryamid, well if he is still around chances are climbing in my favor. A large rock above me looked good and stable as well as high enough to see the entire land mark. After my four steps however, I still needed half that to get there. I glassed around (all clear) and moved to firm footing. I glanced up and at the bace of the prymid standing staring back was the light ram. I caught a glimps of the dark one as he crested the peak and gone. I droped the pack, opened my bypod, went prone and servied the situation. It turned out to be much better than I originally thought. I cold see either side of the pryamid and the face it backed on to he had to come out if I stayed here I would get a shot. I would stay all day if need be. The dark ram didn't go right or left nor did he climb the back face. He did the last thing I expected he came back out to the front and stood broadside. "HOLY POOPSTICK BATMAN HERE WE GO" 260yds broadside steep up hill, no wind, hold dead on and I jerked the trigger hard. Usuallaly I don't use the safety, I don't trust them. When I get this close I carry a round in and bolt part up. But as steep as it was, I needed both hands to crawl up. Thus I flicked the safety on forgot about it in the heat of the moment and was damb glad of it. I flicked it off reaquired the target AND DID IT AGAIN!!!:eek: I actually seen the cross hairs move off the sheep before the recoil. I cant say what I said just then, not because I don't want to put here I just dont remember. I do remember cycling the action fast and reaquireing the now quickly moving target. He was headed up and over again, to whatever little hidey hole he had back there. I found the spot where neck meets shoulders and this time tightened my whole hand I caught a glimps of his left shoulder forward as he disapeared from view. Disapeared yes, but out of control. the real give away was when the light ram stoped and looked alternately at him and me. He moved a little and the looked back at his companion and then fled the scean. 8:26am one and a half hours not bad concidering where I had to go. I watched the undersize leave alone and started my way up to my ram when I heard a sound I didn't want to hear, looking up I saw the dark ram rolling down the pryamid." Stop please stop" he rolled on, again and again I begged and at last he hug up. I poured on the hurry-up then and got to him as quick as I could. He smacked and chipped up his horns a bit, lost a little hair but all in all just added a little charicter. I had my first set of curls and was elated, and gave thanks.
It was after 11:00 by the time I finished taking pics. It is a real chore by your self and when you throw a loose steep slope into it just compounds all the more. At one point he sliped off the little ledge he was on and I had to gut him to get him back on it. not that I couldn't lift him but the slope would not support our combined weight. Then it took some tricky photo setup to hide the hole. By 12:30 I had all I could carry and strolled into camp around 4:30. Back at camp Zoominjr. didn't notice my pack or horns till he was about ten feet away Then it was Hi fives, hand shakes and "no ways!" I won't bore you with the details of the return trip to camp only that it was a hard go. One for the memory books or is that wall. Regardless it pailed in comparison to the pain of the next day when we packed two sheep and camp out to the truck. No kidding My pack was over 100. I hurt good for a long time.
I want to thank B.C.billies for the help and efforts of last year. Also Zoominjr. for sticiking it out and giving me all the time I required to get my opertunity after his was down and done. I know all that nose cleaning and nail trimming must have gotten old fast.
A couple of quick questions for all you
Obviously, I need a taxidermist, any recomondations?
Does the plug put in the horn only go into legal rams or is it a id tag for all sets? If a set were under wouldn't the c.i./c.o.s/M.o.E want to keep tabs on them too?
Third, As I hope you can see the date in the pics is wrong anyone know how to remove it?

Mik
08-23-2008, 02:19 AM
Thats determination, congrats.

Deaddog
08-23-2008, 06:19 AM
Congrats to both you and your partner, glad to see the boot leather got worn off on your hunt, that's what it is all about!!

Dirty
08-23-2008, 06:57 AM
He smacked and chipped up his horns a bit, lost a little hair but all in all just added a little charicter. I had my first set of curls and was elated, and gave thanks.

That is awesome. Great job on the story, it is one of the best I have read on here in a long long time.

hillclimber
08-23-2008, 07:09 AM
wow great story can't wait for the pics!!!!!!!!

Deadshot
08-23-2008, 08:03 AM
First up, congrats!
A great read. Very descriptive & put me right up on the mountain with you.
That's what it's all about. Well done!

daycort
08-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Great story!!! You had me interested the whole time and that is not easy to do, just ask my wife!! Congrats on the sheep.

Krico
08-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Great job on the sheep, and the story!

Where's the pics???

Mtnhunter
08-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Congratulations,
I too felt as I was there with you! Look forward to the pic's!
To answer your questions what area are you in? ( Taxidermists) Harley White reg3
Frank Gilbert reg2
Dan Van Zanten reg4
All sheep are pinned for ID!
Use a photo editing program to remove the date!

Wild one
08-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the good read you just made me want to pack my stuff and go sheep hunting wright now.

Kody94
08-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Great story 6 K!! Really well told.

Looking forward to the pics,
4ster

Kitimat Killer
08-23-2008, 09:51 AM
what an awesome storey and congrats for keeping at it and getting your ram just need to post pics now that has to be the best storey in a long time

kk

TSW
08-23-2008, 09:59 AM
I'll help out 6k here...for your viewing pleasure, here they are

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/b_hbc1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10206&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/b_hbc_2.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10208&limit=recent)

6 K
08-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Here you go guys I enlisted some more experianced help. Thanx TSW

Kitimat Killer
08-23-2008, 10:09 AM
wow nice looking ram good to see the pics how about the first ram your partner got

6 K
08-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry, k.k. you'll have to wait till he posts his own story. I'm typed out :tongue:.

bigwhiteys
08-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Great Job 6K - He's a nice old ram!

Carl

willy442
08-23-2008, 10:14 AM
6K;

Nice mature Ram congratulations. These are the ones we should shooting not the 6 and 7 year olds that repeatedly show up.

TSW
08-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Great job 6 K. I posted your pics before I had the chance to read your story!! You should be very pleased with your hunt, it sounds like you earned it!! It's your persistence and determination (and of course the grace of God!!) that got you that ram--anyone that hunts with you will appreciate that determination (I know I did last fall when we were face to face with numerous grizzlies!!) Very well done.

P.S. this is an official call out to Zoominjr. We want your story and pics...I know you're reading this.

Dirty
08-23-2008, 10:29 AM
What a beauty! A nice old ram. Have you put a tape to him at all yet?

gbear
08-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Congrats on a great hunt and a great ram! Amazing feeling to accomplish the double header. Brings me back to last year. My partner and I were able to do the same. Very similiar situation. One opening day and one on day 4.

You put your work in and it paid off - you earned it!

hunter1947
08-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Very nice story.
Congrats on your first ram ,pic to come.
Do you have dreams of this hunt ???,I know that I would http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

6 K
08-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Dirty,
Horn length 32 1/2 and 34. 14" baces I scored it on b and c web site 146 but that is me holding the tape, don't take it as accurate. He was aged at 10.5

ya I dream about it, mostly during the work day:razz:.
That jerk in my head is already starting to taunt me about next year.
Pics are up page 2

gbear,
Ya it was cool to get a pair, I forgot to mention in the story that Zoominjr. and I started hunting sheep together in 2002. We've each gone on other hunts with other guys since. So for us to each get his first on the the same trip together was also cool.

Dirty
08-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Did you age him too? He looks pretty old.

Krico
08-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Great looking ram-congrats on connecting.

Hey Dirty, check the post above yours for the age:wink:

yama49
08-23-2008, 01:15 PM
nice ram- awesome story......... thx for taking time and sharing it with us......

6 K
08-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Did you age him too? He looks pretty old.
no, that was the C.I.'s call. My guess was 9

quadrakid
08-23-2008, 01:32 PM
thanks for a great story 6k,i,ve never been sheep hunting but stories like yours can make a guy dream.

Gateholio
08-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Well done! Great story!

Dirty
08-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Great looking ram-congrats on connecting.

Hey Dirty, check the post above yours for the age:wink:

Didn't see it at first, i am sorry i suffer from mild r etardation. :razz:

budismyhorse
08-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Great looking ram! thanks for sharing.

congrats! he is a beauty

Avalanche123
08-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Beauty Ram and great story. Are you guys from Terrace cause if you are, I know one of you in the picture.

Well done!

BCbillies
08-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Well deserving...you've pulled out all the stops to get your first ram. This won't be your last...not if I can help it! :smile:

Rock Doctor
08-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Fine lookin critter, Congrats.

gerrygoat
08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
BCBillies and me thought a lot about you and zoominjr when you were out there wishing we were there too. I'm glad it worked out so well for both of you.