PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning and cooking grouse???

justin_07
08-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey guys and gals, i was reading another post about what type of gun to use for grouse, and it got me thinking about field dressing and how to cook them. I haven't had any experience with them but would love to try one out if I had the chance. I've heard of stepping on the wings and pulling the leggs, or do you boil them and pluck the feathers???? Any info or cooking tips would be greatly aprecitated!!!

And on a side note I couldn't find my last post to update, but I was asking about elk calls. I ended up buying the primos calling kit it came with the hoochie mamma, a bugle and a mouth reed. Still working on the last too. But we'll try them out in a few weeks!! Anyways thanks for all the info.

The Dawg
08-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Stepping on the wings and pulling the legs straight up works great....leaves no feathers or skin on them. Make sure you do this when they are still warm, or you will end up tearing it.

As for cooking, theres tons of ways. You can do them just like chicken...one of the best ways is to cube it and Shake and Bake.

justin_07
08-22-2008, 07:14 PM
When you do that, do you need to cut the head off or anything???? Or Just give a good tug? It sounds to easy to be true!! I'll definatley have to give it a try! Thanks.

The Dawg
08-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Nope, just give it a steady pull straight up.

Phreddy
08-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Pulling the wings off them just wastes a lot of meat.
Skin them while they're warm, remove the head, and just cut around the ass & up to the rib cage to pull the guts out. A quick rinse and you've got a good feed of grouse with little or no waste.

martyonthewater
08-22-2008, 07:42 PM
I like em portioned and stewed in cream of mushroon or celery soups with lots of pepper -also awsome tandooried in small pieces (like chicken wing size)

Gun Dog
08-22-2008, 07:46 PM
I use a 22 for grouse. Standing on the wings and pulling the legs effectivly guts them. You're left with wings and breasts. Keep a wing attached for identification in case the CO asks. Carry a few ziplock bags to keep it all clean.

Ironball
08-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Stepping on the wings and pulling the legs straight up works great....leaves no feathers or skin on them. Make sure you do this when they are still warm, or you will end up tearing it.

x2

As for cooking, theres tons of ways. You can do them just like chicken...one of the best ways is to cube it and Shake and Bake.

Just don't over cook as they can get a bit tough.

sawmill
08-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Pulling the wings off them just wastes a lot of meat.
Skin them while they're warm, remove the head, and just cut around the ass & up to the rib cage to pull the guts out. A quick rinse and you've got a good feed of grouse with little or no waste.
By then I would starve to death.One foot on each wing and a steady pull,instant clean breast,cut the wings off and shake and bake and fry in hot 50/50 buttter and oil salt and pepper to taste,keep your eyes open for shaggey mane mushrooms as well .Many a fine breakfast i have had after a morning hunt from 2 or 3 chickens and a hatfull of shaggies fried up on the fire.

Frango
08-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Ditto on the wing/leg pull.Anything else is way too much work.Don't put in a plastic bag until they have cooled.They can sour real fast if it's warm.

ElectricDyck
08-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Pull the head off then step on the wings and pull legs. I like to cube the breast as I use the 12 guage and get the odd pellet in the meat.:biggrin: Better than chicken, my favorite is when they've been eating pine needles, has a nice flavour.

Little Hawk
08-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Howdy,

Yep, off-with-the-head with the ole' 22LR.

Best I ever ate was wrapped in tin-foil with some chopped onion, garlic powder, pepper and a little butter to keep it moist then flip it in the coals of the fire for 20 min or so like a baked potato...

One of the best memories of hunting trips was sittin' by the fire and getting that first whiff of the grouse when you first open it up.

Can't go wrong with a 'Hoochie Momma'. If I can call in a bull the first time I ever used one, they gotta' be idiot-proof.

Cheers,
Terry

Shed Hunter
08-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Marinade is a good way
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/shed_hunting_468.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8701&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=3725)

newhunterette
08-22-2008, 10:17 PM
check out the recipe section of HBC - lots of grouse recipes and such there

Slime green cat
08-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Put the breast in salt water for 1/2 hour and your ready to cook.

What is the purpose of this ? to draw any blood out ?

Someone also mentioned that the meat can sour quickly if it's warm .... how long do you have with grouse before they need to be on ice ?
I see pictures of guys out grouse hunting with a half dozen birds hanging from their belt and they are still out hunting .
How quick after they die do you have to do the pull the feet thing without wrecking them ? and then how long to get them cooled ?

justin_07
08-23-2008, 08:58 AM
check out the recipe section of HBC - lots of grouse recipes and such there

Thats great I never even noticed that section of the site. Looks like lots of good recipes to try!! Thanks

Caveman
08-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Justin, I've got a great recipe for grouse nuggets you'll love. As Ali said it's in the recipe book or section. I have a question though...........Shouldn't you be practicing your elk call. I'll throw my 4:10 in the truck for Chetwyn and maybe we'll take a few.

Wolfman
08-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Back when I lived in Whitehorse I was 5 minutes away from great grouse country. Every day I was able - I was out there with my 'ol Winchester .22 and there was a lot of grouse in the house ;-)

the stepping on the wings/pulling the legs works fine and you can cook grouse in just about any way imaginable. One of my hunting buddies up there has a t-shirt that says: "Grouse; the OTHER dark meat." ;-)

Wolfman

hunter1947
08-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I skin the hole thing out ,if you look at it this way if you where to get 100 grouse in the year and did not keep 100% of the grouse ,like legs etc toy would have lost one pile of meat if you where just to keep the breasts.

As for you choice on the elk package it will work good for you ,just practice ,practice practice ,till you drive the old lady to drinking ,LOL :lol::lol:.

Swamp Donkey
08-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Wrap'em in bacon ( it will add a bit of grease ) and he's ready for the oven, BBQ, slow cooker...whatever.

Mr. Friendly
08-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I can't remember my password to find which is the exact video (you need an account with age verification because of the content), but go to youtube and search for 'grouse field dressing' and you should find one that shows just how easy it is.

the guy popped the head off. stepped on the feet, grabbed the wings at the 'elbow' where they join the body, pulled and POP, the breasts came out. he removed the gullet and the innards just came out clean and easy from the hole at the top of the breasts where the neck/gullet used to be. it looks very easy. I hope to get my chance to practice this come open season this fall!