PDA

View Full Version : Scallops? where to catch them?

drakehunter
08-22-2008, 05:23 PM
can you catch scallops in the lower mainland? i love scallops but dont really know much about shellfishing except that it's not open in many places due to toxins in the water

The Dawg
08-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Yep....Granville Island Market has lots :)

Phreddy
08-22-2008, 07:45 PM
You have to go to a rocky beach at low tide, at dark, with a small baseball bat or fish club, and a sack. You crouch down so they can't see your outline against the sky, purse your lips and make a smooching sound as if calling your dog. When they get close enough you wack 'em with the club and bag 'em.

The Dawg
08-22-2008, 07:46 PM
You have to go to a rocky beach at low tide, at dark, with a small baseball bat or fish club, and a sack. You crouch down so they can't see your outline against the sky, purse your lips and make a smooching sound as if calling your dog. When they get close enough you wack 'em with the club and bag 'em.

ROFLMAO....that is got to be one of the best I have seen....lol...awesome

Bow Walker
08-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Said with a deadpan expression to!

Phreddy
08-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Sorry guys........I just had to do it. ;-0

Sideofabarn
08-24-2008, 10:23 AM
LOL Phreddy, that was most entertaining. On a serious note, I would maybe try Boundary Bay area, although I can't tell you if a. they're there, or b. if it's legal to pursue them. What I can tell you is that they prefer muddy seabeds so they can dig in to hide and filter feed. One other note about scallops is that they are motile, meaning that they can actually "swim" using the muscle that opens and closes the shell. So yes they can escape. You'll need a the very least a wetsuit and snorkles/goggles.

Johnnybear
08-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Just go out to the west coast, catch a skate, buy a small round cookie cutter.......................o.k. so it's not quite the same thing but hey that's what a lot of restaurants use.

I caught about a 60 lb skate earlier this year and let it go. Cool looking fish for sure.