PDA

View Full Version : Elk in Sparwood area

hoyt
08-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Hey has anyone been out looking at Elk in the Sparwood area? I am new to this area and i am trying to find a place to start. I do have horses so distance is not a problem. Any help would be great, and if you want to hunt on horse back, we could also set up for another person.

Thanks,
Hoyt

Brambles
08-22-2008, 10:10 AM
No offence, but you've been a member on this site since March and this is your first post. And its a post asking "where" to hunt elk...

Guys respond better and are usually a little freer with info when a guy has contributed something to the Site. To come on and ask for hunting spots on your first post really doesn't sit well with a lot of the guys on here.

Again, I'm not trying to offend or shoot you down, just letting you know why you may not get very much response to this request.

Plus Elk in the Kootenays are a closely guarded secret so you'll really have to get to know some members before they will let you in on the spots.

Good luck

J_T
08-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't know about "in" Sparwood, but generally speaking the surrounding area holds tons of good elk habitat.

Where are you coming in from? What sort of camp/accomodation will you be in? How long will you be there? Different dates mean elk in slightly different locations and attitudes. When will you be there?

hoyt
08-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Hey I'M not trying to get some persons secret location, just a place to start. I have been overseas for years and the places i used to go are now no hunting areas. I generally go up to the mines and horse back over, and i do have get results, but i have never been into big numbers of them. I will be in Sparwood on the 1st of Sept until the end of the month.

Thanks

model88
08-22-2008, 08:10 PM
There are all kinds of elk close to Sparwood, just make sure that the haul trucks dont run you over......lol

Sorry couldnt resist.

catwelder
08-22-2008, 10:27 PM
The 2008 elk season around sparwood has been cancelled due to increased tourism and fly fishing. Thanks for inquiring, try again next year.

Caveman
08-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Head north up the valley above Elkford. Lots of opportunity along there.

troutseeker
08-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Like they said. lot's of Elk in the area. Head towards Elkford and go hunt around the Fording river. Some of the land is owned by a mining company, they don't see mto mind hunters as long as it's bowhunting only.

I camped there in July on the banks of the Elk and had herds of 30 to 50 elks come within 90 yards. A stealthy dude could do well there...

budismyhorse
08-23-2008, 04:30 PM
First you say you need a place to start....then you say:

" I generally go up to the mines and horse back over, and i do have get results, but i have never been into big numbers of them."

Which one is it?.

Sounds like you already have a "start" now you are looking for a handout....

If you have horses, then get out and work them, the best part is figuring it out on your own. You'll appreciate it more.

See ya out there!

jessbennett
09-06-2008, 09:38 PM
geez give the guy a break..... thats awsome that most of the guys replying are giving you some tips...... and to those that are giving you a hard time..... just remember what goes around comes around........ good luck on your trip and shoot straight.....:wink: