PDA

View Full Version : Prince George

Untouchable
08-21-2008, 09:55 PM
What are some good areas to find black bears around pg at this time of year? Ive got the week off and my buddy is trying for his first big game animal. Today we headed out towards Sinclair mines but we only saw one bear( a dink) and a moose. Hoping for some areas that are a little more open, thinking maybe south of pg?Thanks in advance for any help.

jml11
08-21-2008, 10:32 PM
A few years back in late august I saw 12 bears in a cut block off the Mt.Mckenzie Road and and three days later 11 more, was trying to get a pig cinnamon put he was wise! The were feeding heavily on the huckleberries. Find the berries and you should find the bears!

This road is accessed via the blackwater road west of town and is just a few km's south of Baldy Hughes. Don't know if the bear numbers are still as high but it may be worth a shot!

The Dawg
08-21-2008, 11:58 PM
The Bobtail FSR west of town about 30 mins is usually pretty good...its an active logging road, so it can get busy...if you go on a weekend or can get into a cutblock farther up, its much better....tons of berries this time of year.

ape
08-22-2008, 08:51 AM
1400 rd off of the Pelican forest rd. I have seen many hogs down there over the years.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
head east off hwy 16 I go down the bowron river FSR .... or pretty much anywhere between tabor ski hill and ..... jasper

Untouchable
08-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the replies there guys, we're just heading out right now. I will tell the story later tonight.

SLIK
08-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Spent a bit of time around the gregg creek FSR last fall. Was hoping to go after a spring bear there this year.

todbartell
08-22-2008, 04:57 PM
Ive hunted the Bowron area with Amphibious a few short day trips, seemed like good population of blackies out there.

Untouchable
08-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Well, we spent the day driving around in the areas the above guys mentioned and we shot 0 bears. We saw two however they didn't stick around very long. Couldn't believe the lack of game in general. Only saw one dry cow moose, one grouse, one hare, and the two bears. No deer, and that was after putting 300 K on the truck. Im not complaining because we had a great day, but still seems like the numbers were pretty low for such promising looking areas. Tomorrow's another day...Thanks again for the areas guys.

The Dawg
08-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Well, we spent the day driving around in the areas the above guys mentioned and we shot 0 bears. We saw two however they didn't stick around very long. Couldn't believe the lack of game in general. Only saw one dry cow moose, one grouse, one hare, and the two bears. No deer, and that was after putting 300 K on the truck. Im not complaining because we had a great day, but still seems like the numbers were pretty low for such promising looking areas. Tomorrow's another day...Thanks again for the areas guys.

I know the feeling...Moosinaround and I were out all day as well, and saw nothing but a whitetail and a mulie...no bears at all...but we did find elk sign :)

killman
08-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Here is my 2 cents. Its to early.

Still to hot game hiding

still to many bugs game hiding

too many leaves game hiding

not horny game hiding.

newhunterette
08-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Great so ya mean I aint even gonna see no wildlife when I am there

killman
08-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Great so ya mean I aint even gonna see no wildlife when I am there

Nope, the Columbus burnt down.

todbartell
08-22-2008, 10:25 PM
no but we get to see you so it's fair trade :razz::razz:

moosinaround
08-22-2008, 10:31 PM
I know the feeling...Moosinaround and I were out all day as well, and saw nothing but a whitetail and a mulie...no bears at all...but we did find elk sign :)
DOHHH!!!! SHHHH!! There are no elk around Prince George! Just lots and lots of road hunters!!! Too much hunting pressure to even bother coming up here!! There was a HUGE winter kill of black bears, and elk, and moose, and grouse, and rabbits, and squirrels, and whitetail and mulie deer. :wink: I would go hunt around Clearwater, where the huge alpine critters are!! Heard and seen there is nice senery there on the new Members Hunting Video Links and Pictures I just found on the site!:roll:Moosin

newhunterette
08-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Nope, the Columbus burnt down. I am assuming the Columbus was a certain sort of establishment that housed a colourful array of wildcritters

no but we get to see you so it's fair trade :razz::razz:

bartell - that is an almost compliment

The Dawg
08-22-2008, 10:36 PM
DOHHH!!!! SHHHH!! There are no elk around Prince George! Just lots and lots of road hunters!!! Too much hunting pressure to even bother coming up here!! There was a HUGE winter kill of black bears, and elk, and moose, and grouse, and rabbits, and squirrels, and whitetail and mulie deer. :wink: I would go hunt around Clearwater, where the huge alpine critters are!! Heard and seen there is nice senery there on the new Members Hunting Video Links and Pictures I just found on the site!:roll:Moosin

I never said we were around here ;) It made for a hell of a day to go to Clearwater and back... :)

moosinaround
08-22-2008, 10:37 PM
I never said we were around here ;) It made for a hell of a day to go to Clearwater and back... :)
All we seen were dinks!!!

moosinaround
08-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Seriously though, The bears are in feed mode and have their faces in the berries! It is hot and right at dawn, and right at dusk is when they will move. There is really no special areas you will find them in, they are everywhere! Just busy eating and sleeping getting a good fat layer built up! In a few weeks they will have to start moving to find the remaining berries, and then other food sources after the berries are done. So they will be moving around more in the weeks to come. Moosin