PDA

View Full Version : Distance Restrictions

Avalanche123
08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Is there a reason there is not a distance restriction (other than tough to reinforce) for archery tackle?

This is fictious in nature as who wants more rules right? But hey I am a curious soul so I ask the question!

Obviously education and training is the best answer (other than lots of experience) but I am curious if this was ever a consideration? There are restrictions on minimum draw weight, bolt weight etc so was distance ever considered?

Gateholio
08-21-2008, 09:14 PM
There are no distance restrictions on rifle hunting, either.:p

08-21-2008, 09:48 PM
After several years of being involved with regional wildlife advisory committees and also as a member of the BCWF wildlife committee that provides input re PHRAAC proposals, etc, I have never heard of such a suggestion.

I would guess the reason this has never surfaced is lack of practicallity. As Clarke points out such limits would have to be designated for all weapon types, and how in the world would something like this ever be implemented or enforced? All shooters have different abilities, some can successfully shoot (bow or gun) long range, some cannot. I'm sure you'll agree that each hunter must know his own limitations and stick within them.

I do not believe there any rules that could be devised to force hunters into a role of perfect conduct under all situations. If this did surface as a proposal I would not support it, it's just going too far. There are just certain things that hunters must take personal responsibility for. Of course some won't, but by a wide margin most will.

Dirty
08-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Is there a reason there is not a distance restriction (other than tough to reinforce) for archery tackle?

This is fictious in nature as who wants more rules right? But hey I am a curious soul so I ask the question!

Obviously education and training is the best answer (other than lots of experience) but I am curious if this was ever a consideration? There are restrictions on minimum draw weight, bolt weight etc so was distance ever considered?

Who would police the distance restriction? Little distance gnomes hiding around every corner? Instead of big brother watching you it will be little brother watching you to make sure you aren't breaking the rules. :roll:

GoatGuy
08-21-2008, 10:32 PM

First you need to start with a problem. If you don't have a problem there's no need to set up a regulation. Perceived problems are different - that's how we got the gun registry. :roll:

The only thing you can reasonably enforce is the energy that leaves the weapon, not what it is when it hits the target. The rest is education.

Regulations are usually set up for folks that aren't all that sharp. Problem is if they aren't sharp at the start they probably won't figure it out anyways and, as usual, you end up restricting the good folks.

If all else fails apply common sense. :mrgreen:

Avalanche123
08-22-2008, 09:00 AM

I feel somewhat compelled to quote my own quote and those of you will see what I have redone in bold type.

I also left rifles out of this intentionally.

This is the case of, "I already knew the answer" but I thought I'd see if others ever heard of it. Finally rule number one of the Forum Guidelines states
1. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

So I was comfortable "hanging it out there".

Thanks.

Ron.C
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Besides the policing issue, which would be impossible, there are so many different schools of thought on ethics when it comes to shot distance with archery gear. No, I don't think there needs to be any such "rule". It has to be up to the individual to make the ethical decision on shot distance based on his/her skill, equipment, situation and experience.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-22-2008, 12:20 PM
why should i be forced to only 40yrd shot when I am comfortable to 100 with my bow .... (I am not ...just making a point ...I am good to about 50 actually)

troutseeker
08-27-2008, 01:46 AM
GPS tracking and reporting on all arrows! Kinda the SPOT of arrows...