PDA

View Full Version : wondering on areas for ??? back pac muel deer hunt areas in b.c

tikka
08-21-2008, 09:01 PM
i wont to go on a back pac hunt for big muel deer. but i am wondering if anyone knowes of some areas in b.c that hold big muel deer which require hiking in to get to them. i would apreciate it thanks. :mrgreen:

Orangethunder
08-21-2008, 09:42 PM
ashnola-big muels...

Jelvis
08-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Carpenter Lake area you can pack in by hiking at your own pace and nail a big mule deer buck. Hunt and hike by Gun creek and you will see mule deer for sure. Jel

GoatGuy
08-21-2008, 10:13 PM
There are several areas across the southern half of the province.

Check google, find some high country and look for road access. Some of it is much easier going than other. The monashee/bugaboo/selkirk wet belt seems to consistently produce the biggest bucks. Eastern parts of regions 8 and 3, south eastern part of 7a and the west part of region 4 is where bruisers traditionally come from. There are also several big bucks that come out of the EK every year. The areas that hold mule deer in the alpine can be spotty.

Hiking into the high country in the wet belt usually sucks. You're usually wet and hands are full on thorns/needles or dirt. The drier parts of the south make for easier going but don't seem to produce as many big bucks.

Biggest thing is to start pounding bush. A couple of the areas we hang out in have deer in one basin and nothing in the neighboring mountains. It's a matter of putting in the time until you find the holes.

Good luck!

Huey
08-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Carpenter Lake area you can pack in by hiking at your own pace and nail a big mule deer buck. Hunt and hike by Gun creek and you will see mule deer for sure. Jel

How are the sizes for muley over around carpenter lk? I hear they are interbred with the blackies and are smaller??

srupp
08-21-2008, 11:25 PM
west of CHILCO lake..

steven

hunter1947
08-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Just before you come into Kaslo coming from Nelson there is a road called Woodbury it is a FSR.

Drive back into there as far as you can ,then park your truck and hike up from the end of the road ,there are some nice mule deer in there.

Keep in mind that if you go into Kokanee Glacier park it is only open for the discharge of fire arms from Nov first till Nov 30 ,good luck.

Brambles
08-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Just before you come into Kaslo coming from Nelson there is a road called Woodbury it is a FSR.

Drive back into there as far as you can ,then park your truck and hike up from the end of the road ,there are some nice mule deer in there.

Keep in mind that if you go into Kokanee Glacier park it is only open for the discharge of fire arms from Nov first till Nov 30 ,good luck.

The park is open from Nov 1-30th

Just an FYI on that route, if you drive to the end of road, then your already in the Park so hiking any further before Nov 1st with a rifle is pointless, you can use a bow before Nov 1st but good luck on that one. Mule deer close on the 10th. the real kicker is come Nov 1, you probably won't be able to drive anywhere near the end of the road. Its steep and the road is on the South side of the drainage for the last half of the drive which equals lots of snow.

That area has its fair share of Grizz so watch your back, should be hibernating by then but you never know, I seen them out and walking around in October so.......

The road is acually quite some distance before Kaslo, its even before Ainsworth.

Overnight backpack hunting in November, GEE that'll be fun:biggrin:

CoqTrophys
08-22-2008, 11:32 PM
try the ashnola area

tikka
08-24-2008, 01:45 PM
thanks for the info.

rainman
08-24-2008, 06:44 PM
carpenter lake has big deer not interbred from my experiences