PDA

View Full Version : Baiting.

FlyingHigh
08-21-2008, 08:28 PM
i don't want to start an ethics debate. i just want to know,

is baiting animals legal in BC? can you tell me what page it is referred to in the hunting regs?

i can't seem to find anything in the regs, regarding any species. so based on this, baiting of any species is legal...i have a feeling i'm wrong though.

quadrakid
08-21-2008, 08:33 PM
it,s in the rgs,look a little harder.

quadrakid
08-21-2008, 08:35 PM
sorry i don,t have mine handy,i,m on crutches and too sore to move. bear baiting illegal for sure.

FlyingHigh
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
i've been through the entire regs. page by page, point by point. i don't see it anywhere. neither for bear, nor deer. there's a definition of baiting in the glossary. there is nothing pertaining to baiting in the "During Your Hunt section, "It is unlawful to..." section, the "Legal Hunting Methods" or the "Additional Hunting Methods Restrictions" section.

sorry to here about the crutches. i just got off mine. what a royal PITA.

srupp
08-21-2008, 08:52 PM
I believe its on page 16 bottom of pages under "NOTES" #5 I am @ work right now..think this where the bears aspect of baiting is..

Steven

Gateholio
08-21-2008, 08:59 PM
In BC, you may not bait for bear. You can bait any other type of big game. There are some restrictions regarding waterfowl, in the regs...

BiG Boar
08-21-2008, 08:59 PM
look up my thread titled what are you using for bait this year. Also since youre on the web find the regs on line and in the top corner of the page there is a search function, type in bait. You will find the words in there I assure you. I recall just carivors being illegal to bait though? Not deer species. But best to be sure. Go to Alberta if you feel like running a bear baiting line, its a lot of work and there are far less bears there than here.

FlyingHigh
08-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I believe its on page 16 bottom of pages under "NOTES" #5 I am @ work right now..think this where the bears aspect of baiting is..

Steven

quoted from Notes, #5

"shotgun must not be loaded with single projectile or be larger than 10 gauge; must not use more than 1 shotgun while hunting migratory game birds, unless each shotgun in excess of one is disassembled or unloaded or encased"

#6 states:

"bear may not be hunted by placing bait or by using a dead animal or part of it as bait"

there we go. guess i missed it. :redface: thanks guys.

srupp
08-21-2008, 09:19 PM
sorry I missed it by one ..SILVER MEDAL??

LMAO

Steven

FlyingHigh
08-21-2008, 09:31 PM

LMAO

Steven

yup. here ya go.

http://image.orientaltrading.com/otcimg/39_1023.jpg

Dirty
08-21-2008, 10:15 PM
FH do you have apple trees with an abundance of apples? I do, and no you can't have any. :biggrin:

FlyingHigh
08-21-2008, 10:29 PM
FH do you have apple trees with an abundance of apples? I do, and no you can't have any.

actually, my grandparents own an apple farm. bet ya i have access to more apples than you! haha. :p :D

Brambles
08-21-2008, 10:38 PM

LMAO

Steven

Just remember, second place is the FIRST LOSER:razz:

srupp
08-21-2008, 11:20 PM
sheeeesh...lol

steven

hunter1947
08-22-2008, 07:56 AM
One year I thought I would pick a bag full of apples and take them up to the EK with me ...

So I picked about 100 apples and took them with me ,I put them into my back pack and unloaded them in a slash where I had my tree stand set up.
The deer that come up to them just sniffed them and then carried on ,not one apple got eaten from the deer.

It was the ravens that cleaned up on the apples LOL.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-22-2008, 12:16 PM
One year I thought I would pick a bag full of apples and take them up to the EK with me ...

So I picked about 100 apples and took them with me ,I put them into my back pack and unloaded them in a slash where I had my tree stand set up.
The deer that come up to them just sniffed them and then carried on ,not one apple got eaten from the deer.

It was the ravens that cleaned up on the apples LOL.

do ya wanna know why that was?.....

I am willing to bet that those deer have never seen an apple before let alone eaten one ... you just made a curious scent ... Lighten your load next time and bring a bottle of Vanillia extract ..... or just releive yourself ... you will make younger deer curious

Or if you insist on using bait where they will eat ... bring a load of Oats/corn on the cob or alfhalfa cubes ... Salt licks work great too

40incher
08-22-2008, 03:14 PM
It wasn't until last year that I realized it was "legal" to bait deer with grain or other similar feed in B.C.

My feelings are that this is not only unethical, but should be illegal. It's one thing to hunt a piece of agricultural land, but to see intentional baiting being condoned and even glamorized (via "hunting shows") is very sad. This is not fair chase.

Big7
08-22-2008, 03:22 PM
If the animals aren't fenced in with no place to go, technically I suppose it is still "fair chase" is it not?!!

Isn't hunting a swamp with lilly pads growing in it considered "natural baiting" for moose?! Any difference?!!

brotherjack
08-22-2008, 04:13 PM
If the animals aren't fenced in with no place to go, technically I suppose it is still "fair chase" is it not?!!

Isn't hunting a swamp with lilly pads growing in it considered "natural baiting" for moose?! Any difference?!!

I can tell you EXACTLY what the difference is!!! NONE!

:)

sawmill
08-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Aww,I`d do it but then I`d be just like that dork Thomas Pigeon on Canada In The Rough.
So,how was your hunt? "Well (breathlesly) I put out a thousand pounds of corn and apples and after 9 exciting days in my stand this awesome 2 point walked right into bow range.One shot with the .338 and a 400 yard blood trail later and he was mine!Join us next week when we go after red squirrels in the mighty pine forests of central B.C"

hunter1947
08-23-2008, 11:37 AM
do ya wanna know why that was?.....

I am willing to bet that those deer have never seen an apple before let alone eaten one ... you just made a curious scent ... Lighten your load next time and bring a bottle of Vanillia extract ..... or just releive yourself ... you will make younger deer curious

Or if you insist on using bait where they will eat ... bring a load of Oats/corn on the cob or alfhalfa cubes ... Salt licks work great too

I thought the same way ,they never saw an apple before in there life time ,thats why they ignored them..

I just wanted to see what they would do in a this case and I found out.

BiG Boar
08-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I have heard there is someone in this forum who is one of the greatest baiters of all time here in BC. You should talk to him, they call him the MASTER. Ask him and I am sure he is always willing to give a hand. He may seem like a bit of a dick at first but in the end all of your baiting issuses will be relieved....

boonerbuck
08-23-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm pretty sure you speak of Tod Bartell....the Master....Baiter...:razz:

Someone mentioned that baiting carnivors was illegal. Thats incorrect. You can bait wolves, coyotes, cougar etc.... Just not bears as mentioned.

mark
08-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Deer do love apples once they get a taste for them!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/rear_view.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=3457&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

bigwhiteys
08-24-2008, 08:43 AM
A little grain helps when trying to draw out those spooky whitetail bucks... 2 years ago I was sitting on private land, staking out my bait pile when a couple of joes pull up in their truck and threaten to report me....

I explained that they really needed to read the regs again and to F.O. and leave me alone... I was busy staking out a buck. They leave...

Next day I come back late morning to sit all day and notice there is now a gut pile on my pile of grain... The two joes that said it was illegal and unethical blew away a dinky little 4 point off my grain pile!!!!

I had a good laugh...

Carl

sfire436
08-24-2008, 02:42 PM
A little grain helps when trying to draw out those spooky whitetail bucks... 2 years ago I was sitting on private land, staking out my bait pile when a couple of joes pull up in their truck and threaten to report me....

I explained that they really needed to read the regs again and to F.O. and leave me alone... I was busy staking out a buck. They leave...

Next day I come back late morning to sit all day and notice there is now a gut pile on my pile of grain... The two joes that said it was illegal and unethical blew away a dinky little 4 point off my grain pile!!!!

I had a good laugh...

Carl

Ha! I know that is not funny but it truly is!

bigwhiteys
08-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Ha! I know that is not funny but it truly is!

I thought it was pretty comical... screwed up my hunting in that spot for that day. But hey... At least they got some grain fed whitetail.

Carl

hunter1947
08-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Deer do love apples once they get a taste for them!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/rear_view.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=3457&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)

What are you trying to do Mark to this deer???.
Are you fattening him up for the kill ??? LOL.