PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Diamondback vs Nikon Monarch?

brotherjack
08-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Anyone here ever done a hands-on comparison of Vortex Diamondback binoculars and Nikon Monarch's? (8x42's are the ones I'm most interested in hearing about). Do the Vortex Diamondback's stack up, or no?

Thanks,

rishu_pepper
08-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Never looked through the Vortex before, but I do own a Monarch 8x36. For my money, it's a pretty decent pair for the buck ($199 USD shipped from cameralandny). It ain't no Swaro but it's good enough for me, for now.

Mr. Friendly
08-23-2008, 09:36 PM
a lot of 8x40/42 optics have been reviewed at www.cloudynights.com under the binocular forum. there are well over 380 reviews and while most of them are focused on astronomy viewing, a lot are tested during the daytime. definitely a good resource to consider when you figure out just how technical they get (EdZ reviews are among the best) when they figure out resolution and such.

some good bino's to consider perhaps are the William Optic's 8x40 Triplet (ED) bino's. GarrettOptical.com also has the same bino under their brand as does Oberwerk at bigbinoculars.com.

to see CDN pricing on the William Optics, you might find them at islandeyepiece.com (Brian on the Island).

brotherjack
08-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, I just got back from a week in Idaho. I got to spend about 45 minutes at Sportsman's Warehouse doing a serious head-to-head comparison of Nikon Moarch's and Vortex Diamondback's (among other things). They even let me take them outside right at dusk and glass the hillside in the distance (about 700 yards out).

Results:

I was pretty shocked to find that the Vortex Diamondback's are nicer glass than the Nikon Monarch's - I went into it thinking I was going to walk out of the store with a set of Nikons. Nope - for almost $100 less, the Vortexes were better. Not by a huge margin, but I could definitely count more pine needles on the distant trees with the Vortexes than I could with the Nikon's. Light transmission looked about identical, but the resolving power of the Vortexes was a step up, for sure. The Vortexes also had a very noticably wider field of view, which was cool - and hey, the Warranty on the Vortexes is definitely better too.

I also looked through some of the more expensive Vortexes - and yeah, they do get better the more you spend; but the Diamondback's were plenty good enough for the likes of me and The Wife(tm). I almost bought them on the spot, but after I did some math - I saved $50 to mail-order them in Canada (5% exchange, 2% more on exchange to my credit card company, 8.5% WA tax, 5% GST, 7% PST; ouch!); but come Wednesday, they should be here (along with tripod mount and a doubler I thought I'd play with and see if that would replace a spotting scope for most of my hunting.

Anyhoo - thought since nobody else had replied that I might as well update the thread.

Shooter
08-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Excellent choice. I love my Vipors, and went through the same process as you when I got them. I was also shocked to see that I needed to spend a good couple hundred more to get comparible glass in other brands. I guess there's another one converted to the vortex side of life :smile:

highcountry88
09-04-2008, 12:23 PM
My son and I have both had 8x42 Nikon Monarchs for the past few years and both of us have been real happy with the performance and clarity and found them to be easy on the the eyes. My son is a Yukon sheep guide so he spends a lot of time glassing and Monarchs are used quite a bit by his buddies in the Yukon.

Now on the down side, both our Monarchs have had to be sent back to the factory and they could not be repaired- the factory said it was shock damage. We both hunt hard, but I don't believe we abuse our equipment, especially our binos and cannot recollect whenever either of the Monarchs were dropped, so we are scratching our heads on this one.

I am looking at the Monarch box and it says a 25 year warranty, and this is what partially attracted to Monarchs. They do have a good reputation.

Either I am going to "one eye" my broken Monarchs through this season or get by with some "Wal-Mart special" binos, till I can save some dough for better binoculars. One day, I would like to step up to Swarovski or Zeiss, but that won't happen for a while.

Any thoughts or experiences on Monarchs from you guys on this one?

Shooter
09-05-2008, 08:48 PM
The Vortex have a lifetime no-fault replacement warranty on them which was a real selling feature for me as well.

Bow Walker
09-06-2008, 09:28 AM
My son and I have both had 8x42 Nikon Monarchs for the past few years and both of us have been real happy with the performance and clarity and found them to be easy on the the eyes. My son is a Yukon sheep guide so he spends a lot of time glassing and Monarchs are used quite a bit by his buddies in the Yukon.

Now on the down side, both our Monarchs have had to be sent back to the factory and they could not be repaired- the factory said it was shock damage. We both hunt hard, but I don't believe we abuse our equipment, especially our binos and cannot recollect whenever either of the Monarchs were dropped, so we are scratching our heads on this one.
Either I am going to "one eye" my broken Monarchs through this season or get by with some "Wal-Mart special" binos, till I can save some dough for better binoculars. One day, I would like to step up to Swarovski or Zeiss, but that won't happen for a while.

I am looking at the Monarch box and it says a 25 year warranty, and this is what partially attracted to Monarchs. They do have a good reputation.

Any thoughts or experiences on Monarchs from you guys on this one?

:idea:Don't strain yourself or the wallet......check out the Vortex line and you'll be well pleased.:wink:

Phoneguy
09-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Where did you order the Vortex in Canada from?

Bow Walker
09-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Where did you order the Vortex in Canada from?

Here's their Canadian website/store.....

http://eagleopticscanada.stores.yahoo.net/

But you can checkout your local Birdwatching store (Wid Birds Unlimited?) - as the birders know and appreciate good optics.

K-1
09-06-2008, 01:20 PM
I just picked up a pair of Vortex Vipers at Wild Birds Unlimited here in Victoria. So far I'm quite impressed with them looking around the neighbor hood I guess the real test will be in the bush. With a lifetime warranty how can you go wrong, if they FU (fog up):wink: take them back and get them fix or get new ones.

Shooter
09-06-2008, 10:01 PM
I also got mine from Wild Birds Unlimited.

Bow Walker
09-07-2008, 06:35 PM
That's where I got mine and my brother's. Great service and also a good price.

shantz
09-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I just got back from grouse river outfitters checking out the diamondbacks and was gunna ask if it was worth spending the extra $60 on these compared to the Bushnell trophy series. They didn't have any bushnell there for me to compare with but i really liked the diamondbacks

brotherjack
09-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Well, I did a head-to-head with Bushnell E2's (supposedly much better than the Trophy's) and Nikon Monarchs - and the Niknos easily won. When I later did a head-to-head with Monarch's and Diamondback's, the Diamondback's won. So yes, I'd say well worth the extra $60.

shantz
09-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, I did a head-to-head with Bushnell E2's (supposedly much better than the Trophy's) and Nikon Monarchs - and the Niknos easily won. When I later did a head-to-head with Monarch's and Diamondback's, the Diamondback's won. So yes, I'd say well worth the extra $60.

Thanks guys

just ordered a pair from grouse river.

uraarchr
09-12-2008, 10:48 PM
the Powderkeg in kamloops has vortex stuff.

Bow Walker
09-13-2008, 09:50 AM
VORETX DEALERS?? You can get them locally - right here in Vict/Sooke.

PM me for details.....great prices to.

"skma"
09-17-2008, 12:19 PM
has anybody tried the vortex spottin scopes??? the nomad or skyline?

dawn2dusk
08-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know where the Vortex Diamond backs are made? I was told to try and get the onces made in Japan not China.

Bow Walker
08-12-2009, 08:48 PM
The Vortex binos that I have were made in China - but with their bullet-proof warranty, I don't care.

Doe
08-12-2009, 09:07 PM
We went to a backyard and bird store on Van Island...had em on hand there

Kevin So
08-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Picked up a pair of 10-x 42 Diamondbacks couple of weeks back from Italian's. Pretty good price for what you get. I am happy so far. How can you go wrong with a lifetime, no questions, no fault, transferable warranty! The rumor is that Vortex price might start to go up closer to their competitions...might want to pick a pair up soon.

Kevin So
08-12-2009, 11:05 PM
the Powderkeg in kamloops has vortex stuff.

Powderkeg changed owner when I was there in June. They no longer carry Vortex when I asked back then.

Bow Walker
08-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Our sponsor (one of them) is Grouse River Outfitters - they have good prices on Vortex products. Shipping is fast, service is top notch and turn around time is short.

Check their website out.

dawn2dusk
08-13-2009, 09:40 AM
Lens and Shutter has then here in Victoria. I went down last night and checked out the 10x42 Vipers $650 and the Diamond Backs $270. There was a noticable difference in optic quality and so should one expect for twice the price. The Vipers were sweet - brighter and crisper image. Plus the made in Japan sticker on the bottom made me feel good.The Viper felt better made.

But yikes twice the price...I will probably just bite the bullet once do it right and get the Viper.

aletheuo
08-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I peeled the China sticker off my monarchs and the optics suddenly became clearer.

Mr. Friendly
08-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know where the Vortex Diamond backs are made? I was told to try and get the onces made in Japan not China.
while in essence, that's true, it's not really applicable anymore. what a lot of people don't know is a lot of glass coming from European/Japanese companies actually starts in China. it's shipped to them and for the high level stuff, ground/polished/coated and finished at their factory. China can make glass as good as everyone else, if the company is willing to pay for it. most people buy from China for good but cheap as Chinese manufacture isn't known for quality, but quantity, even if the capability is there. only real difference in optics from China, Japan and Europe is the fit & finish of the OTA (optical tube assembly).

that said, I have a hard time with the comment about the Bushnell e2's not being as good as the Monarch's as the e2's are generally classed with the $800 optics for optical quality whereas the Monarch's are mid-level at best. the e2's are just lacking in the fit/finish of the more expensive options and the fact they are substantially heavier. for $800 you get very good glass, good weight and very nice fit/finish (smooth focus/diopter adjustments etc).

brotherjack
08-14-2009, 08:52 AM
that said, I have a hard time with the comment about the Bushnell e2's not being as good as the Monarch's as the e2's are generally classed with the $800 optics for optical quality whereas the Monarch's are mid-level at best.

Actually, the E2's were among the Bino's I demo'd that night at Sportsman's Warehouse. I found both the Monarch's and the Diamondback's to be the better glass. (IMHO, of course).

Shooter
08-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Brotherjack.. Just wondering how that doubler worked out for you? I have been trying to figure out if its worth picking up or not and would love to hear your reviews on it.

Tikatack
08-14-2009, 09:27 AM
If you can afford the upgrade, go with the Vortex Fury. I have the Diamondback from a few years ago. Since I purchased them, according to Vancouver Telescope, they've traded down the line a bit. While the Diamondbacks are still great, my vintage compares more closely with the Fury. They are fantastic optics, great in low light and in a comparison I don't see a lot of difference between them and Leica, except in very low light conditions where the Leica's really capture light exceptionally.

brotherjack
08-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Brotherjack.. Just wondering how that doubler worked out for you? I have been trying to figure out if its worth picking up or not and would love to hear your reviews on it.

Don't buy it! I sent mine back after 1 trip out. It was well made and all that, but it had an inherent problem that, had I thought about it, should have been obvious before I bought it -- It would increase the magnification, but it would not increase the resolving power (actually, adding more lenses and magnification like that would logically reduce resolving power). So, that mule deer at 800 yards that I couldn't quite make out the 4th point on in the 8x42's -- I slap on the doubler and prop the rig up on my shooting sticks, and I now have a 16x view of those same antlers, without enough resolving power to see the details any better than I did at 16x, so I still couldn't tell if he had a 4th point or not.

So, I went back to packing the extra couple lbs in the form of a spotting scope + tripod. Much much better rig when I need to see something clear enough to decide if I want to hike clear over there to shoot it.

dawn2dusk
08-14-2009, 10:58 AM
If you can afford the upgrade, go with the Vortex Fury. I have the Diamondback from a few years ago. Since I purchased them, according to Vancouver Telescope, they've traded down the line a bit. While the Diamondbacks are still great, my vintage compares more closely with the Fury. They are fantastic optics, great in low light and in a comparison I don't see a lot of difference between them and Leica, except in very low light conditions where the Leica's really capture light exceptionally.

The Fury is on sale right now at
http://www.escience.ca/telescopes/RENDER/5/1020/1033/13473.html

Pretty tempting at this price $360

dawn2dusk
08-14-2009, 11:09 AM
disregard previous post - I just phoned they are out of stock on the Furys,.

d6dan
08-17-2009, 01:52 PM
I own a pair of Furys 10x42's and I have to say they are the best binos I ever owned (I own ziess) Clear,balance well,lightweight,1 finger adjustment. Best bang for your buck!.. I purchaced them through Grouse River...

twoSevenO
10-15-2010, 09:53 PM
This thread is old, but i just wanted to say that after owning my Vortex Diamondbacks for a full year, i am quite impressed.

They are very good optics and allow me to see a good half hour after i can no longer see individual trees with my naked eye when sitting and waiting the last light to run out. (I wish i had a pair of Leicas or Swaros to compare to in the field and see how they stack up).

They have a very nice strap on them as well and the hard case is excellent for when they are being stored in the back of the Jeep, with no worry whether they are protected enough.

The only downside i have are the bottom lens covers. They are friction-held onto the objective and even so, i have managed to lose one in the bush ... who knows where it is now.

I first took notice of them in this thread, then had my first chance to see them in person at the Abbotsford fishing/hunting show last year.

Not sure what their scopes are like, but i'm very satisfied with these binoculars so far. Focusing on the large knob is so easy and fast! I find the slightest movement of your index finger is enough to adjust from 300 yards to 30. :)

My Vortex diamondback's are in 10x42 :)

Cheers!

bearhunter338-06
10-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Vortex all the way.

5.56 Medic
08-05-2013, 04:27 PM
I just bought the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 Binoculars and a Vortex Rangefinder 1000, from Italian Sporting Goods in Vancouver,BC. The shop is amazing, they will beat anyone's prices, are knowledgeable and good to talk to. I now own a Vortex Diamondback scope 3.5-10x50 BDC reticle, the diamondback bino's and the Vortex rangefinder. I am a Vortex believer!