PDA

View Full Version : Hunting camps

BIGHUNTERFISH
08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
I was wondering if this has ever happened to any of you guys.You find a good hunting area with a nice site for your hunting camp that has been used in previous years with good water access ,constructed hanging poles and a niced cleared area for tents equipment etc.You set up camp and a day later some guys show up and say that that is their hunting camp and they have been using this site for 10 years,how would you handle this situation or would you simply never use a preset camp that you never created.:eek:

quadrakid
08-20-2008, 11:08 AM
if it,s crown land then nobody can claim it as their own. there,s literally thousands of places in this province used by hunting camps year after year ,first come first serve as far as i can tell.

Wild one
08-20-2008, 11:08 AM
My family has a spot like that but if we find some one using it we just camp some were else. People need to learn it's not there's just because you made a meat pole and have camp there before.

Gateholio
08-20-2008, 11:11 AM
I'd thank them for doing the work for me, and mention that they may want to be a day earlier next year.:p

Barracuda
08-20-2008, 11:32 AM
tell them they did a nice job and invite them to drop by for dinner and a nightcap later. I have gotten to camps and found someone else there and just a simple wave hello and keep looking. unless someone is there or has their equipment there allready then the camp is not occupied.

MB_Boy
08-20-2008, 11:34 AM
I have hung meat poles all over the province the past 3 years.....so please "respect" that they are mine and don't hang your game on them. 50% of them also have a "wall tent" frame within close proximity....they are mine too. :roll: :razz: :wink:

Personally.....I doubt I would use one that I had not built with the exception of a fly in hunt. If there was no one there and access is that remote....sure I may set up in a great spot that may have a meat pole and a fire pit already built. We have had to "relocate" our camps when we have flown in and found someone in a spot where we have built "infrastructure" in past years. Even had to pull a canoe out of the bush about 50 yards behind an inhabited camp where we had ditched it from previous years.

moosinaround
08-20-2008, 11:41 AM
First come first serve, you snooze you lose, early bird gets the worm! Moosin

Ron.C
08-20-2008, 11:45 AM
As per above, first come first serve.

MichelD
08-20-2008, 11:48 AM
We were up in the Chilcotin one time and came to this big clearing with numerous campsite spots, an outhouse and fire pits. There was even a plywood sign up against a tree with "Hot dogs" written on it.

Obviously the place is used regularly by a neighbouring community for events and cookouts and things.

Well, we set up, there were four adults and a teenager and after about a day or so, a group of guys showed up in a camper and pickup and seemed shocked, and even a little put out.

"How'd you guys find this place?" they demanded. "We come here every year and never see anybody." They set up at the last site and we eventually met and had drinks and it was all good, but at first it was a little tense.

How'd we find the place? Well I did on my bicycle. It wasn't hard. I rode on the logging road, took a side road then when I saw a small track going off, I went exploring and found it. They acted like we musta been psychic or something to have found their secret spot.

boonerbuck
08-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I was wondering if this has ever happened to any of you guys.You find a good hunting area with a nice site for your hunting camp that has been used in previous years with good water access ,constructed hanging poles and a niced cleared area for tents equipment etc.You set up camp and a day later some guys show up and say that that is their hunting camp and they have been using this site for 10 years,how would you handle this situation or would you simply never use a preset camp that you never created.:eek:

I'd explain to them that if we arrived at the same time I'd happily let them utilize the work they had done. Unfortunately we are set up and hope they understand that we don't feel like breaking camp, searching elsewhere and setting up again. Like Gatehouse said...a day earlier next season.:razz:

Did this actually happen to you or is this a hypothetical situation?

HighCountry
08-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Just tell them good luck have fun and move on.If you are a real hunter you have no problem finding another hunting spot+camp site.

Kody94
08-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Crown land is "first come, first served". I certainly would not pack up and leave.

Fisher-Dude
08-20-2008, 12:24 PM

I believe that as soon as BHF pulls into a drainage, all the other camps will be vacated within minutes, and he'll have his pick of the best one. It therefore is a non-issue for him.

For the rest of us, first come, first served.

Geo.338
08-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Every year as we get close to camp we wonder if someone is going to be in OUR spot .We always have a plan B also . We take our poles down every year and cache everything .We have on more than one occassion been within an hour or two of missing out to another group and once we arrived in the middle of the night to find the spot taken .We were so road weary that we just crashed right there .When we woke up the party had broken camp and vacated .

We always camp where we would like to hunt and the question is how close to a inhabited camp would you put yours .

tomahawk
08-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Crown land is "first come, first served". I certainly would not pack up and leave.

Me too, and vice versa if someone is in the spot I usually set up camp then I move to another location near by so that we each have some privacy but I can hunt the area I wanted in the first place.

Mr. Dean
08-20-2008, 02:36 PM
If thinking that because a meatpole has been created, this turns public lands all of suddenly into private lands, is seriously mistaking.

BCBRAD
08-20-2008, 05:08 PM
We have a prebilt camp spot, used it for years, if someone is there when I show up its on to plan B. The Only way to legally get around this is get a special use permit and post the days you will be there.

Stresd
08-20-2008, 05:32 PM
If anyone shows up at, or is using one of our camps. Kudos to them.:smile:It just means that it is time to move on anyways as we are no longer deep enough into the back country.:wink:

happygilmore
08-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Here's a twist, how close would they have to camp to make you feel uncomfortable? personally they can camp right next to us if they can stand it.:biggrin:

wildman 22
08-20-2008, 06:00 PM
an older couple i know were harrassed and finally gave up theircamp site.it was a big open field and the group had 15 vehichles parked, but i guess they needed that particular spot .the more the group drank the more aggressive they got.he did not feel comfortable leaving his wife and vehichle there so he left the next morning.

Avalanche123
08-20-2008, 06:49 PM
I haven't encountered that problem yet but then again we don't have the population base other areas have. I guess I could see that happening in the Moose GOS but I tend to avoid that hunting period anyway.

But to answer the question, they can have the spot.

ruttinbuck
08-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Here's a twist, how close would they have to camp to make you feel uncomfortable? personally they can camp right next to us if they can stand it.:biggrin:

Happened to us in the Chilcoltin.Bud's truck was backed up to the game pole leaving enough room for a truck to get by the walltent.In comes the village idiot,he waves and drives within 2-3 feet of the tent to get by and parks behind us.
I walked over and state "we are here can you go else where?"
The guy starts the "I come here every year rant."
He is dead set on staying,we had a little luck that day and had two of our four bucks on the pole so.I go into the tent out comes the ghetto blaster,I whistle the idiot up.
He looks over I yell"hope you like Kid Rock"
The look was priceless.
BAWITABAWA until 2 AM and the neighbours slept in as my bud and I arose and went hunting at first light.
Made for an interesting few days.RB

happygilmore
08-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Happened to us in the Chilcoltin.Bud's truck was backed up to the game pole leaving enough room for a truck to get by the walltent.In comes the village idiot,he waves and drives within 2-3 feet of the tent to get by and parks behind us.
He is dead set on staying,we had a little luck that day and had two of our four bucks on the pole so.I go into the tent out comes the ghetto blaster,I whistle the idiot up.
The look was priceless.
BAWITABAWA until 2 AM and the neighbours slept in as my bud and I arose and went hunting at first light.

snaged some earplugs from work? nasty dc :twisted:
Should have moved you latrine to right next to his tent... with all that pasta and bird food you eat!

Phreddy
08-20-2008, 08:24 PM
I'd probably compliment them on the fine job they did last year when they were here, ask them if they built any decent treestands in the area and how to get to them then wish them luck wherever they move to, because I ain't movin'!

ruttinbuck
08-20-2008, 08:28 PM
snaged some earplugs from work? nasty dc :twisted:
Should have moved you latrine to right next to his tent... with all that pasta and bird food you eat!
Don't you have a round to do??

Kody94
08-20-2008, 08:31 PM
The look was priceless.

That's pretty good. I should have tried Kid Rock last year when a similar thing happened to me an my partners.

We were camped about 70 yards from the end of a deactivated spur road, with really only one logical place to hunt from there. We had 3 trucks a camper and wall tent....so pretty obvious to anyone there is a few guys in our camp.

First morning some jackazz drives through our camp in the dark to hunt the area we were headed. I don't have a problem sharing an area, but jeez, have the common courtesy to stop and check with us on where we are going that day, etc. Instead he just drives around our trucks, over a downed log, blasting his pipes, etc, parks 50 yards away and takes off.

Later that day, a totally different guy drives through our camp, wiggling between the trucks and driving over trees to get by, and puts his wall tent up 50 friggen yards from us, so we have to walk right by his tent every morning. There were plenty of other places to camp in the area....In my opinion his choice to camp so close was pretty bad form and I was pretty pissed off. Turns out he is a nice enough guy, but still....

4ster

mcrae
08-20-2008, 08:41 PM
First come first serve. We have a primary spot and several secondary spots in all our locations just in case!

killman
08-20-2008, 08:57 PM
What makes me pissy is when someone camps on a road and expects no one to go into "there" area further down the road.

happygilmore
08-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Don't you have a round to do??
I'm on the pannel, I have all night!:smile:

Kody94
08-20-2008, 09:05 PM
What makes me pissy is when someone camps on a road and expects no one to go into "there" area further down the road.

Not sure if you are referring to my comments above, but FWIW, I do agree with you.

For clarity, in my situation above, we were camped at the end of the road. And as mentioned above, I have no issues sharing the area...but its obvious where we were hunting, so I expect anyone coming in to have the courtesy to talk to us instead of crashing through the camp in the dark with your truck, just to park on the far side of it! :)

wetcoasthunter
08-20-2008, 09:47 PM
but my BP soars when we later find a messy camp-empty cans all over the place, used papers, animal parts sometimes even including intestines etc…

Ran into an old friend of my dad's the other day and got talking hunting. He hunted in the East Koots and was telling me about an empty camp they came accross. He said it was the best setup he had ever seen, and over on one side of the camp there was a fake grave and the tombstone said "here lies the last guy that messed up our camp". I thought that was great.

BCRiverBoater
08-20-2008, 10:34 PM
If anyone gets worked up about someone being in their so called camp then they are not an outdoors man and do not deserve to be there anyways. An ethical person would stop say hi, hows the hunting and move on. Nothing ticks me off more than someone being so arrogant they think the own the land.

08-20-2008, 10:57 PM
These same guys that get P/O'ed about some one else in (their) so called camp that they use every year are probly the same guys that get all worked up about some one being in their tree stand they put up years prior. What ever ! If you like the spot OR stand and no one's in it when you get there, set up camp and tell them to pound sand !!
Who do people think they are, show me the deed to the property and I'll move, other than that I'm a reckon I'm a stayin !
C/T

hunter1947
08-21-2008, 06:03 AM
BHF ,this is exactly what happened to our hunting party a few years ago when we where up hunting moose around Hudson hope BC.

We had camp set up on the 12 of Oug and on the 14 of Oug these hunters showed up and said you are in our hunting camp.

He said we have been coming to this spot for 10 years or more.

I said we are sorry but first come first get ,he started to get mad and said well you all can move your camp because this is our camp.

I said I don't see any private property signs etc around hear.
After about 10 min of him trying to get us to move they went down the road ,before they left the one hunter said come down to where we will be setting up our camp ,we will just be down the road about 2klm ,we then will talk where we are going to hunt so we won't be hunting the same area.

Me and one of my hunting partners left about 4 hr latter and when down to there camp ,BIG MISTAKE DOING THIS..
When we got there he was madder then a Tom cat in heat.
This person was a complete as****.
We almost got into a fight as our conversation was going on.

He said that the 4 in there party will be every where and to look out for them.
We left and got out of there.
The next morning was the opening day for moose and guess what??? ,I walked up into this old cut block and set up first thing in the morning and about one hour after daylight I hear 6 shots fired all within 2 minuet's.
The shots where just Bellow me down near my quad.

I then left where I was set up and went back down to where my quad was ,when I got there I found 6 cartridges beside my quad and no hunter around.

I new who did this ,I was steamed inside.
I got on my quad and when further away to hunt where I would get some distance from where these other idiots might be hunting.
When I got back to our camp one of my partners said guess what happened to me ..

When I got back to my quad there was marking tape across the front of my quad and the hole quad was laced out with toilet paper ,I then told my partners what happen to me and they said that they thought it was me shooting at a moose ,but 6 shots ???.

A day latter they the other hunters that were there shot more rounds the next morning to scare game away from the area.
Latter that same day we were getting ready to go for the evening hunt when all of a sudden we see this same group of hunters heading out with all there gear etc ,as they passed they said you better not be in this camp next year when we come in or there will be some sorry hunters layed out on the ground.

I just waved at them and laughed at them as they were going by.

TIKA 300
08-21-2008, 06:18 AM
BHF
A day latter they the other hunters that were there shot more rounds the next morning to scare game away from the area.
Latter that same day we were getting ready to go for the evening hunt when all of a sudden we see this same group of hunters heading out with all there gear etc ,as they passed they said you better not be in this camp next year when we come in or there will be some sorry hunters layed out on the ground.

Thats when pics would be taken of their vehicles and a report made to the local authorities,a threat like that is pretty DAMN serious considering the shells left near your quad.

Can you imagine having the BALLS telling someone to move their camp after taking a day setting up

The worst thing is the camp was more than likely there when they found it !!!!!!!!!!!!

hunter1947
08-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Thats when pics would be taken of their vehicles and a report made to the local authorities,a threat like that is pretty DAMN serious considering the shells left near your quad.

Can you imagine having the BALLS telling someone to move their camp after taking a day setting up

The worst thing is the camp was more than likely there when they found it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a day we were there 3 days setting up our camp befor the season opener.

fozzy
08-21-2008, 07:28 PM
It bothers me that A holes think like this and demand to have "their" crown land camp site back. They probably call themselves hunters too. Same bunch that shoot out the window of their trucks and bend/break all the rules when they are so hell bent to bag an animal at any cost. Unsportsmanlike *ickheads! :mad:

One spot we've been going to for years, sometimes we get the spot and sometimes we go somewhere else, no big deal. It's not like there is only one spot in the province to hunt and camp. Changing spots works to my advantage sometimes, hunting by foot I can only cover so much ground. By changing camp spots I've scouted/hunted some good spots.

Buck
08-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Iv'e had people set up right next to me when there were other good cites nearby.I don't like it they should move on.

TIKA 300
08-22-2008, 05:59 AM
When we we're @ the Parsnip last year,the spot which was scouted out for us was taken so we moved on.We ended up on the end of a spur road,which had just been clear cut.What i was impressed with was the fact of how many people turned down the road,realized we we're camped @ the end stopped and backed out :cool: Thats the respect i like and GIVE !!!!!

OOBuck
08-22-2008, 06:26 AM

I would have told him why wait till next year all gladly kick your ass this year.

hunter1947
08-22-2008, 06:39 AM
I would have told him why wait till next year all gladly kick your ass this year.

I would have but he was about 6 foot 6 and he must of weighed around 260 pounds.

OOBuck I didn't want things to get to far out of hand when there was fire arms around ,you don't know what this creep might have done???>