PDA

View Full Version : deer provincial bag limits

foreverfortune
08-19-2008, 09:45 PM
hi can someone please help clarify what is the provincial bag limit for deer? i thought it was 3 but in the synopsis under deer licences it states:

"A person must not possess more than 15 of any current year deer licences. The combination of deer licences may include a maximum of 3 mule deer and 3 white-tailed deer licences..."

so does this mean i can harvest a total of 3+3=6 deers outside of the QCI?
thanks for you clarifications

BCRiverBoater
08-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Why would anyone want 3 deer never mind 6???

One if you like the meat which many do not and then one tag for a trophy.

Not sure why one would want to shoot 3 or 6 deer?

Mr. Friendly
08-19-2008, 10:37 PM

because they like to entertain? because they like to share? because they want to make a tipi, moccasins & a jacket in one season? LOL! just some ideas... :rolleyes:

todbartell
08-19-2008, 10:37 PM
3 mulies, or 3 whitetail, or 2 mulies, 1 wt, or 2 wt, 1 mulie for province. the QCI have their own bag limit I believe

Blainer
08-19-2008, 10:40 PM
3 is the magic number,unless you hunt the Charlottes.The 3 mule deer lic. can be used in the Charlottes and the whitetail in other areas.

reach
08-19-2008, 10:52 PM
The way I read it, you may go out and buy 3 mule deer and 3 whitetail licenses, for a total of 6, but you may only cut 3 tags. Your provincial bag limit is 3. (not counting QCI)

bighornbob
08-19-2008, 10:59 PM
The way I read it, you may go out and buy 3 mule deer and 3 whitetail licenses, for a total of 6, but you may only cut 3 tags. Your provincial bag limit is 3. (not counting QCI)

Thats exactly right, you can buy up to 6 tags (excluding QCI) but you can only cancel 3 tags. And regional limits cant be exceeded. So you could shoot a whitetail in each region of 3,4 or 8 or a three mulie in regions 3, 5 and 7 or any combination you choose but only 3 tags can be cut and you cant exceed the regional limit.

BHB

pmj
08-19-2008, 11:07 PM
From a previous post I made:

2008 - 2009 Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis: See page16 for Provincial bag limit. Page 8 Deer Licences. Also see the Regional Bag Limits for each region. With a LEH doe tag you may be able to get up to 3 deer, a combination of mule and white tailed. They may or may not be from the same region. Read carefully and phone the C.O. if it is not clear.

Shooter
08-19-2008, 11:33 PM
From a previous post I made:

2008 - 2009 Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis: See page16 for Provincial bag limit. Page 8 Deer Licences. Also see the Regional Bag Limits for each region. With a LEH doe tag you may be able to get up to 3 deer, a combination of mule and white tailed. They may or may not be from the same region. Read carefully and phone the C.O. if it is not clear.

I am from region 1 where I am allowed 2 Mule (Blacktail) deer. When I take a trip this year into the interior I am also allowed one more mule/whitetail buck from region 5 am I not? It does not need to be an LEH doe draw to to get up to 3 deer. My son who has the LEH doe draw for region 5-02 will be able to take a doe and a buck in region 5-02 and one more buck (or doe from the youth only season here) Do I have this right? The provincial bag limit could be 3 bucks.

foreverfortune
08-20-2008, 12:06 AM

ok thanks, that makes sense. thought the wording was a bit off, and or or would make a big difference but i guess they were referring to the possession of tag licences and not bag limits.

Steeleco
08-20-2008, 12:29 AM
I am from region 1 where I am allowed 2 Mule (Blacktail) deer. When I take a trip this year into the interior I am also allowed one more mule/whitetail buck from region 5 am I not? It does not need to be an LEH doe draw to to get up to 3 deer. My son who has the LEH doe draw for region 5-02 will be able to take a doe and a buck in region 5-02 and one more buck (or doe from the youth only season here) Do I have this right? The provincial bag limit could be 3 bucks.

Yes your right, if you were to take a deer on the mainland after getting 2 island deer your done for that year, UNLESS you go to the Charioteers.

Now IIRC if you were to go the Charlotte's first and tag 3 deer your "provincial" bag limit is full and you can no longer hunt deer outside the Charlotte's.

sawmill
08-20-2008, 03:57 AM
I`m getting dizzy:-(

Blainer
08-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Yes your right, if you were to take a deer on the mainland after getting 2 island deer your done for that year, UNLESS you go to the Charioteers.

Now IIRC if you were to go the Charlotte's first and tag 3 deer your "provincial" bag limit is full and you can no longer hunt deer outside the Charlotte's.

This above is only true if you were to use 3 mule deer tags in the Charlottes.
If you were to go to the Charlottes first,and harvest as many as 15 deer,but use the special Charlottes deer tags,then this would not go against you're provincial bag limit.

Steeleco
08-20-2008, 08:23 AM
This above is only true if you were to use 3 mule deer tags in the Charlottes.
If you were to go to the Charlottes first,and harvest as many as 15 deer,but use the special Charlottes deer tags,then this would not go against you're provincial bag limit.

Thanks for clearing that up, however it's not likely ever going to be a problem for me :wink::wink:

Are the tags the same price as all our other deer tags? That would add up QUICK!!!!

Huey
08-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Wow, this is news to me. I assumed the 3 provincial season bag limit included 1 muley 1 wt and 1 leh antlerless. From this post I'm learning I can take 1 muley in each or region's 3,5 & 8! Maybe a call to my local co will clear things up.

jml11
08-20-2008, 10:18 AM
From this post I'm learning I can take 1 muley in each or region's 3,5 & 8! Maybe a call to my local co will clear things up.

You betcha! I know guys who used to take a muley buck in region 7 and and two in Region 5 each year! Region 5 allows you to take one buck under the any buck season and an additonal buck under the 4-point season in november! If you have an LEH antlerless draw you can take all three in Region 5!

TimberPig
08-20-2008, 12:37 PM
If you have an LEH antlerless draw you can take all three in Region 5!

No you can't. Region 5 has a regional bag limit of 2 mule deer. You can't take 2 mule deer bucks plus a doe.

You could however take a whitetail buck, a mule doe, and a mule buck, or a whitetail buck and two mule bucks.

behemoth
08-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Deer tastes awesome. As a matter of fact, my wife insists on me filling the freezer every year as she prefers it to beef. My family can EASILY go through 2 deer a year. I've never shot 3, but suspect with pepperoni and italian sausage we could eat that as well

TPK
08-20-2008, 03:41 PM
I've never had the pleasure of hunting QCI Deer .. but hear they are very small. I don't know if you're allowed to take so many because of their small stature or is it because of the population of the little buggers .. ? anyone know?

MichelD
08-20-2008, 03:46 PM
You got it right TPK.

They are an introduced species and overpopulated.

sfire436
08-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Here is a question??? I generaly save my deer tage for the bow season in the east koots. (I can arrow two deer of any sex in the same MU). Does this mean I can also take another WT or Mulie somewhere during gun season?? PLEASE ANSWER!

Shooter
08-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Yes thats the way I see it. As long as its a different MU

jml11
08-20-2008, 06:27 PM
No you can't. Region 5 has a regional bag limit of 2 mule deer. You can't take 2 mule deer bucks plus a doe.

You could however take a whitetail buck, a mule doe, and a mule buck, or a whitetail buck and two mule bucks.

Yes that's want I meant, you can fill all three tags in region 5! Guess I should have been more specific...

jml11
08-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Yes thats the way I see it. As long as its a different MU

You would have to go to a different REGION all together not simply a different MU. The bag limit for deer in Region 4 is 2 so you would have to go to another region for that third deer.

Blainer
08-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Here is a question??? I generaly save my deer tage for the bow season in the east koots. (I can arrow two deer of any sex in the same MU). Does this mean I can also take another WT or Mulie somewhere during gun season?? PLEASE ANSWER!

ABSOLUTELY!

brian
08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I've never had the pleasure of hunting QCI Deer .. but hear they are very small. I don't know if you're allowed to take so many because of their small stature or is it because of the population of the little buggers .. ? anyone know? Well both really. Basically they are small because there are so many of them competing for good quality browse that they are malnourished... which is why you can tag more of them.

ROY-alty33
08-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Also, IIRC,
You can only take 5 QCI deer per trip, up to a max of 15.

huntwriter
08-20-2008, 07:31 PM

Because we can, simple as that.:grin:

Ambush
08-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Well both really. Basically they are small because there are so many of them competing for good quality browse that they are malnourished... which is why you can tag more of them.

Well, actually, they are Sitka Blacktail, which just happen be smaller than coastal Blacktail or mule deer. Kinda like Couse deer are smaller than white tail.

People that are shooting tiny deer in August are shooting very young deer. Mature Sitkas are all about the same size.

The one time world record came from QCI!!

Shooter
08-20-2008, 09:02 PM
You would have to go to a different REGION all together not simply a different MU. The bag limit for deer in Region 4 is 2 so you would have to go to another region for that third deer.

Ya sorry that is exactly what I meant.

brian
08-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Well, actually, they are Sitka Blacktail, which just happen be smaller than coastal Blacktail or mule deer.

I've never seen a QCI deer, I've just heard anecdotally they were tiny. I know Sitkas are smaller on average than Columbian. I also know when deer overpopulate an area over time they often shrink in stature on average because of the poor nutrition offered them come winter. I was putting 2 and 2 together, extremely high bag limit = overpopulated which equals more competition for browse in winter. So my question would be are the QCI Sitkas any smaller on average than a normal Sitka?

Kody94
08-21-2008, 08:49 AM

A good friend of mine from Ohio shoots his limit of 5 deer per year and feeds himself and his three daughters with it. He runs out well before the season starts again. Those grain-fed Ohio whitetails are bigger than our average BC whitetails.

When I was growing up, my family EASILY consumed 2 moose and a couple deer in a year. Any one of those moose had easily as much meat as 4 or even 5 average deer.

If you like deer meat, or are not successful at filling your moose/elk tags, I can see why a number of people would be interested in taking 6 deer.

And we have the deer for it. Personally I think provincial bag limits (for deer and possibly other species, like elk) are another thing that should be liberalized.

Cheers
4ster

horshur
08-21-2008, 08:55 AM

three deer and half a moose have been gone from the freezer since March.

were gonna have to step it up a notch this year.LOL

Mr. Dean
08-21-2008, 09:04 AM
And we have the deer for it. Personally I think provincial bag limits (for deer and possibly other species, like elk) are another thing that should be liberalized.

Cheers
4ster

Agreed!

I don't know where the vast of the synopsis comes from or when such restrictive measures were made. Reading it, it more often gets me scratching my head.

Mu's with 1 mule deer harvests.... :rolleyes:
UNLESS you draw a doe on the LEH.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fisher-Dude
08-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Hell, I'm single and I eat 2 deer every year. Was looking in the freezer last night, counting chops/steaks/burger and thinking about how soon I'll have to drop the hammer on a meat buck this year. I had my larger buck last year all sausaged except for the chops, and there are only 3 bags of smokies left. That first legal buck is gonna get 'er! :biggrin:

elkdom
08-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Yeah Guys! allowable harvests make us scratch our heads? whats with the MOE and whats even more wacked! is the biggest "Harvester" of deer and moose in B.C. is none other than our own ICBC, millions of $$$$$ lost to pay claims for wildlife collisions and what does the most damage? DEER and MOOSE, of coarse all the roads and highways are a "game reserve" no shooting areas, and nice seeded ditches with clover and alfalfa, then just to really make it irrisistable, sprinkle on some salt for several months out of the year! DUH !!!!

08-21-2008, 09:19 AM

I agree Chris, IMO provincial bag limits for elk and deer could easily be increased, especially if season dates and antler point restrictions were concurrent across regions. As a matter of fact, the way Whitetail populations are right now I wonder why we couldn't just open a province wide GOS for any deer (including does) just like Alberta and Saskatchewan has done for years?

I think it's got to the point where (considering hunter numbers) we will have a hard time controlling WTD populations with anything but the most liberal of seasons. Additionally I have to wonder if Mule Deer populations at the present time are not becoming density dependent on WTD densities. the current situation leads me to believe that hunting seasons need to be much more reactive to cycles in deer and elk populations.

TimberPig
08-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Yes that's want I meant, you can fill all three tags in region 5! Guess I should have been more specific...

I figured as much, but just wanted to make sure it was clear.

The whitetails in this area aren't overly numerous, so that tag would take a little more work to fill than the mule deer tags. They're here but the numbers are not huge. I've seen two whitetail bucks in the past year, mid summer at work, but none while hunting. I haven't been trying to find them either though, and don't normally buy a whitetail tag.