PDA

View Full Version : Non-resident hunting questions...

MichaelB
08-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey guys. I'm a long time lurker of this forum and thanks to all your threads I have kept BC close to my heart even though circumstance has moved me very far away. Took me years to finally get myself a screen name and still I waited until now to make my first thread...so here goes.
Other than the non-resident licence and proper tags and the permit to accompany, what else do I have to do to hunt? Do I need to apply for certain areas? Too late this year but am I able to apply for LEH draws? And yes I am a Canadian citizen.
Thanks for all your help over the last few years.

Michael

bighornbob
08-19-2008, 03:24 PM
As a non-resident you are not able to apply for LEH tags, those are only for BC residents. As for what you will need is: nonresident hunting license, and tags for what ever you will be hunting plus the permit to accompany.

When you apply for your permit to accompany you have to specify what region you want to hunt and what animals. If the animals are on LEH in the area or on a quota system you will not be able to get tags for those animals and your permit to accompany may be turned down.

So basically all you can hunt for are deer, elk, moose, caribou, goats and black bear if they are not on LEH. For example, if you wanted to hunt goats in the southern half of the province or moose in region 5 you would be turned down. But if you wanted to hunt moose up north, you will probably get permit to accompany. Basically if there is a regular open season you can get a permit to accompany. Of course there are exceptions like Stone Sheep. They are on a quota system so you cant get a permit for them.

Hope this helps you out.

BHB

MichaelB
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks BHB. Yeah I guess that helps. Not exactly the answer I was looking for on the LEH. Am I just able to apply for one area per permit to accompany (i.e. 8-11), or can I get multiple areas? I know in the regs it says "only one permit to accompany will be issued to a person in a licence year". Does this mean that I cannot hunt both bear in Spring and deer in fall? Or can I use a different hunter for both hunts?

waistdeep
08-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Add Caribou to your inability to hunt, had some Alberta residents turned down for this year as residents only.

Call of the Wild
08-19-2008, 08:00 PM
As a non-resident you are not able to apply for LEH tags, those are only for BC residents.

So basically all you can hunt for are deer, elk, moose, caribou, goats and black bear if they are not on LEH. For example, if you wanted to hunt goats in the southern half of the province or moose in region 5 you would be turned down. But if you wanted to hunt moose up north, you will probably get permit to accompany. Basically if there is a regular open season you can get a permit to accompany. Of course there are exceptions like Stone Sheep. They are on a quota system so you cant get a permit for them.

So you're saying the open zone (no LEH required) for goat in northern part a canadian non resident is allowed to obtain a tag and hunt one. Interesting

Also isn't there some open zone (no LEH required) for stone sheep, for resident? What you're saying is BC simply don't allow canadian non resident to buy a tag for sheep unless it's with an outfitter.

Call of the Wild

bighornbob
08-19-2008, 10:22 PM
So you're saying the open zone (no LEH required) for goat in northern part a canadian non resident is allowed to obtain a tag and hunt one. Interesting

Also isn't there some open zone (no LEH required) for stone sheep, for resident? What you're saying is BC simply don't allow canadian non resident to buy a tag for sheep unless it's with an outfitter.

Call of the Wild

I am not 100% sure but yes a non-resident Canadian can get a Permit to accompany for goat. I am pretty sure it would have to be in region 6 or 7 for it to happen.

Although there are open areas for sheep (Rockies in the south and stones in the north) theses animals are on qoutas for the guide outfitters so no tags go to permit to accomany people. Basically all the animals that can go for the permit to accompany are the ones that the guides dont have qoutas for i.e moose up north, goat up north, deer and bear all over the province.

Wastedeep

I think I read somewhere your caribou hunt was for the southern caribou (region 5) I think. I am pretty confident you could have gotten tags in Region 6.

BHB

jml11
08-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Although there are open areas for sheep (Rockies in the south and stones in the north) theses animals are on qoutas for the guide outfitters so no tags go to permit to accomany people. Basically all the animals that can go for the permit to accompany are the ones that the guides dont have qoutas for i.e moose up north, goat up north, deer and bear all over the province.

Not sure if this is obvious to everyone or yourself call of the wild, but to elaborate further on this...outfitter quota is actually a non-resident quota for the area and is typically so many per year or so many over 3 years, 5 years etc. These quota hunts are typically big money hunts for the outfitter . If you were to harvest one of these animals under a permit to accompany it counts against this non-resident quota which would mean one less tag for the outfitter and lost revenue. Animals harvested by residents in an outfitter territory do not count against their quota even if the animal was harvested will being guided by the outfit. This is the reason some outfitters offer hunts to residents at a reduced rate.

MichaelB
08-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Sounds like I should move back to BC. I wish that was possible right now. If there are any guides that want to trade service with me: A sheep hunt for.....shoot, I've got nothing to offer. :biggrin:
Am I allowed to get multiple permits? What does the "only one permit to accompany will be issued to a person in a licence year" mean for me?

Barracuda
08-20-2008, 08:48 AM
where do you live now ? what is your current status/situation ? have you done your CORE? Do you have a current BC hunter Number?

To me it seems as though some of your questions are a little odd .

Mr. Dean
08-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Not sure if this is obvious to everyone or yourself call of the wild, but to elaborate further on this...outfitter quota is actually a non-resident quota for the area and is typically so many per year or so many over 3 years, 5 years etc. These quota hunts are typically big money hunts for the outfitter . If you were to harvest one of these animals under a permit to accompany it counts against this non-resident quota which would mean one less tag for the outfitter and lost revenue. Animals harvested by residents in an outfitter territory do not count against their quota even if the animal was harvested will being guided by the outfit. This is the reason some outfitters offer hunts to residents at a reduced rate.

Interesting.
The resi hunter hunts on his own tag then (if a GOS exists) and avoids royalty fees also, just paying for the service?

Mr. Dean
08-20-2008, 08:53 AM
where do you live now ? what is your current status/situation ? have you done your CORE? Do you have a current BC hunter Number?

To me it seems as though some of your questions are a little odd .
I think he want's to make most of a holiday

MichaelB
08-20-2008, 09:03 AM
I live in Texas, been here for 6 years so my hunting is only on my 250 acre leased property. I sit in a tree and wait for deer to pass by. Yes, I am lookng to make the most out of my vacations. My family still lives in the Okanagan so I am now starting to visit more. YesI have my CORE. Don't have a BC hunter number.

jml11
08-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Interesting.
The resi hunter hunts on his own tag then (if a GOS exists) and avoids royalty fees also, just paying for the service?

I think it depends on the outfit, I know some will still charge a trophy fee for some game. I believe for moose a trophy fee is charged if the bull is a tri-palm, at least i think that's how it works.

Mr. Dean
08-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I think it depends on the outfit, I know some will still charge a trophy fee for some game. I believe for moose a trophy fee is charged if the bull is a tri-palm, at least i think that's how it works.

There has to be a savings somewhere for the GO. It's plain bad business to cut on profit; you need to keep an eye on having a bad following year.

Hunting GOS critters, I could understand a resi saving a little (above post). Hunting for a LEH critter w/ no draw tag, I don't.

Anyways, back to the original purpose of the thread.