PDA

View Full Version : Arrows

springpin
08-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Which arrows do you use for hunting? And do you change your arrow for Big and small game. I do know people who change their arrows for big and small game.

I use Easton Axis Full Metal Jackets. They are a little heavier but they pack a thumping when they hit.

Just curious.

stickbow
08-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Either port orford cedar or hex pine tipped with a 135gr two blade magnus.

huntwriter
08-16-2008, 08:09 PM
I use for many years now Easton XX75 2514 Grand Slam tipped with either NAP Thuderhead 125gr. or Magnus four blade 125gr. I know it’s old fashion to use aluminum arrows but hey they still get game without a problem so why change. I still use the old Camo Hunter too.

Like you, I like my arrows a bit on the heavy side. I never change arrows for small or large game.

Bow Walker
08-16-2008, 08:39 PM
I've been a Gold Tip fan for years. I use the lesser expensive XT's. I don't change arrows for larger or smaller game.

springpin
08-16-2008, 09:21 PM
I don't change my arrows for different game either. At the business end of the stick, i use a 100gr Muzzy MX3.

Chad

08-17-2008, 09:51 AM
I might change broadheads or tips for different game but not arrows. Seems to me that changing arrows might be a lot of trouble when a bow is specifically tuned for a particular arrow spine.

BC4Bowhunter
08-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I haven't decided on which arrows I use for hunting because it seems every year I am try out new arrows and use them for hunting for a year and either sell them or use them for small game or 3D Last year I was using easton axis obsessions now I Carbon force STL hunters next year ???. I seem to always change arrows from year to year. I do use different arrows for small game.

tomahawk
08-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I use for many years now Easton XX75 2514 Grand Slam tipped with either NAP Thuderhead 125gr. or Magnus four blade 125gr. I know it’s old fashion to use aluminum arrows but hey they still get game without a problem so why change. I still use the old Camo Hunter too.

Like you, I like my arrows a bit on the heavy side. I never change arrows for small or large game.

I have always shot the Easton's as well and never change spine on arrows, the same arrows I practise with, I hunt with, for all game.

The Hermit
08-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Shot Gold Tip Expeditions last year... tried some Patriots (not consistent enough and are out of business now) and just ordered Gold Tip Pro Hunters in the correct spine for my TD Hunter 11> Going with brass inserts, and 125 g Montecs

mikek blacktail
08-17-2008, 05:26 PM
goldtip 5575 for everything I shoot at , love the arrows.

springpin
08-17-2008, 08:53 PM
BC4BowHunter,

Why do you change arrows for small game? Do you change to a heavier or lighter arrow? maybe a cheaper arrow?

Bow Walker
08-18-2008, 08:06 AM
I hope that by "changing arrows for big or small game" this bud of yours is meaning that he has arrows of all the same spine/length/fletching, etc.

There is absolutely no need to have to have two sights - one for field and one for broadheads. He needs to tune his bow.

Ambush
08-18-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't change arrows often. After many years with Easton Super Slams I switched to Beeman Camo-Hunter 340's. I've got dozens and dozens of old arrows from others and myself that I cut down and or re-straighten. Great for grouse and crows and the like. They get re-cycled until they're to short for the shortest draw length archer that I know.
I always have one old Super Slam, with a blunt on it, in my quiver. You never seem to lose the arrows you don't care about.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-18-2008, 08:48 AM
for Hunting with my Super tec I use Eastons Epics ST in 340 spine ...

reasons .. relitivly cheap at about 6 bucks complete (plus Broadhead).. very consistant ... good GPI weight

for my Bowtech 101 I have the same arrows in 400 spine

I have used most every arrow out there and the only one that drastically impressed me was the ACC arrows ..but I tend to cry everytime I break an ACC

BC4Bowhunter
08-18-2008, 12:43 PM
BC4BowHunter,

Why do you change arrows for small game? Do you change to a heavier or lighter arrow? maybe a cheaper arrow?
I use the arrows I have used the year before just to use them up so when I loose one it doesn't bother me so much then loosing one of my new arrows. Spine is the same ,weight is usually close too.

Espanola
08-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Which arrows do you use for hunting? And do you change your arrow for Big and small game. I do know people who change their arrows for big and small game.

I use Easton Axis Full Metal Jackets. They are a little heavier but they pack a thumping when they hit.

Just curious.

I use Gold Tip Pro Hunters or Expedition Hunters 5575. 100g field points and switch to 100g Montecs for killing deer, 100g Judos for grouse/rabbits...same arrows, different tips. I also fletch using 'bi-delta' vanes. They fly good and are hellishly durable. I fire these stix-of-death from a Hoyt Trykon at 290fps:wink:.
Shoot straight!

Avalanche123
08-23-2008, 05:39 PM
I am in the market for new carbon arrows. I am either going to go to the Gold Tip Exped Hunter 7595 or the Carbon Express Rebel Hunter. I can get the Gold Tip locally unfletched so I am leaning that way.

Despite trying hard with my Grizzly Sticks, they are not working plus they are not great for stump shooting having broke two and they are pretty much brand new.

I also have Grizzly 190 gr broadheads that I may be using, depending on how I tune these new arrows that I get. Once I get everything tuned, there is no switching arrows unless I shoot an "old arrow" at a grouse in a tree which I don't care if I lose.

Bow Walker
08-23-2008, 08:17 PM
A123, you'll find that the GT's are very durable. It takes a lot to break them. I've been using them for quite a few years now and I have yet to find a tougher shaft.

I've tried a few others, but always come back to the GT's.

Avalanche123
08-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Good to hear BWalker. Which ones are you using?

Bow Walker
08-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I use the 5575's...and am toying with the idea of dropping down to the 3555's. My shaft length allows me use the lighter 3555 without any problems. Oh, I'm pulling 60 lbs at a 28.5" draw length. My shafts are cut to 26.7"