PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer whitetail cross

cwocarsten
08-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Get this I am on my way to Hope,BC with work and this 4pt + whitetail crosses the highway with its signature tail up. When it stoped on the other side the tail went down and it was pure black. I think it may be a cross breed, and a fallout of the Herrling Island herd. It was really close to Chilliwack. Anyone else see anything like this in the vicinity?

The Dawg
08-16-2008, 06:00 AM
uh oh.....can of worms opened...lol

Jetboater
08-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Its a blacktail, pure and clean, Just casue the antlers look whitetailish doesnt mean its a whitey, I think it is slowly time a lot of people re do the core course....
I truly Wish people would understand that blacktails raise their tails as well if spooked, they dont give the true wag back and forth. there is no such thing as the herrling Island Herd, people were simply mistaking blacktails for whitetails....
Just before hope if you see the pipeline going up on the right hand side there is a 4 point Blacktail everymorning right now feeding in the grass... pretty sure that is the same buck......

riflebuilder
08-16-2008, 07:31 AM
Whitetail Blacktail they all taste good when grilled....

Fisher-Dude
08-16-2008, 08:03 AM
I think we should bring Tinney into the conversation...

Dirty
08-16-2008, 08:09 AM
I think we should bring Tinney into the conversation...

He's not allowed to discuss hybrid's anymore. He has been hired by the Canadian Government for his expertise on Hybrids. All his research work is confidential and must go through Ottawa before any public releases are made.

mark
08-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Get this I am on my way to Hope,BC with work and this 4pt + whitetail crosses the highway with its signature tail up. When it stoped on the other side the tail went down and it was pure black. I think it may be a cross breed, and a fallout of the Herrling Island herd. It was really close to Chilliwack. Anyone else see anything like this in the vicinity?

Even if you did see a whitetale deer with black on top of its tail, thats not uncommon!!!! I see it quite regularly here in the OK.

cwocarsten
08-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Wish I had a picture. I have shot enough deer to know the difference. The antlers were whitetail all points coming up from the main beam and the tail was not thin but a wedgeshaped tail all BLACK outsde when down with all WHITE inside when the tail was flagged up. It was right at the exit 138 after popkum turnoff where there used to be a scrap yard. When I hunt up in the Okanagan I would see whitetail once in a while with a bit of black at the bottom of their tail.

cwocarsten
08-16-2008, 02:42 PM
As for no such thing as the Herrling Island Herd. It was in the regs that there was was a few Whitetail released there many years ago and not to shoot them.

huntwriter
08-16-2008, 03:33 PM

Some whitetail deer do have more black on top of the tail than others. This unique feature is no proof for a crossbreed. I have seen such deer in Illinois, Alabama, Kentucky and Missouri where they do not have mule or blacktail deer.

There are quite a few whitetail deer around Chilliwack and Hope, I am told by the biologists, (can’t wait to see the population grow, I love whitetail deer hunting more than anything else) it therefore is possible that mule deer and whitetail interbreed.

BCBRAD
08-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Around Hope! jackalopes have been sighted as well.

ElkMasterC
08-16-2008, 03:43 PM
When I first came to BC from Off World, I was doing a diving salvage job up the coast near Savary Isl.
A local fellow, friend of the boat driver, came by in his 15 ft "Relic Beachcomber Deluxe", proudly threw back a pile of ropes in the bow, and underneath was hidden a deer with a typical Whitetail rack, (I have some on the wall, it turns out, so I'm fairly well acquainted) and a little black tail and small body.
I asked what it was, and was told it was a coastal blacktail buck, shot off the beach. Maybe it was poaching salmon, and got poached itself. (Blacktails have been observed eating salmon carcasses, it turns out) :cool:
I though "Hmmm...three types of deer....I think I'm gonna like it here."