PDA

View Full Version : what was your first game kill ever?

Mr. Friendly
08-16-2008, 12:31 AM
I'd like to know what the first critter it was that you shot. gopher's and birds qualify, tho the stories probably aren't quite as exciting as Mr. D's 428m shot (LOL!).

I'm most interested in big game, but if it wasn't your first kill, do tell. :) if there's a story about it too, I would be honored to read about it! :D

Gateholio
08-16-2008, 12:49 AM
First was small buck, with a traditional longbow, homemade string, and steel (not razor) broadhead arrows.

I was about 14-15, didn't even know you needed a tag or licensed....

rishu_pepper
08-16-2008, 02:05 AM
Grouse with a 10/22, got him in the neck. 'Twas last September around my birthday, first ever season, first ever critter :cool:

Blainer
08-16-2008, 06:40 AM
BEAR
It seemed I harvested about a half dozen bears before my first buck.I still recall my first buck as a friend,new to the outdoors,and I left the cabin one morning in the fall and on the way to my hunting area,he said "look at that deer",it was a 2 point feeding in the slash about 40 yards away.I was on the binders and out the door like lightning and boom,down he goes.My friend could'nt even speak,total shock,but it was the monkey off my back and I have never gone a year since without at least 1 buck harvest.1996

hunter1947
08-16-2008, 07:10 AM
My first animal was a spike buck.

3kills
08-16-2008, 07:15 AM
my first animal to shoot was a tree rat back when i was lil with my pellet gun...but my first actaul animal i shot while hunting was a grouse....my first big game animal was a lil spike buck that was so tiny i think he still had milk on his lips...

LeverActionJunkie
08-16-2008, 08:32 AM
First animal ever would have been a ruffed grouse, I still love going out a few times a year for grouse only.

mrdoog
08-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Slugs with salt. Followed their slime trail for inches.
Not bad on toast.

mark
08-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Not bad on toast.

Thats pretty funny!

So much small game at a young age I can hardly remember, but I think rabbits were first. After that a 160 class 4 point muley at 14 years old.

kloosterboer
08-16-2008, 09:28 AM
For me it was a dicky bird when i was about 6 but my first real animal was a nice 2x3 blacktail on rememberance day 2003 when I was 13.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/ryan008.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7504&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=2319&sl=k)

huntwriter
08-16-2008, 09:37 AM
My first game was a rabbit with a .22 Winchester lever action at age six accompanied by my father. Then at age 11 I shot my first deer from a hunting tree house, a small roe doe with my mothers slug gun.

For those that wonder about the age. I was born and raised in Switzerland, both my parents where hunters and there were no specific age restrictions at the time. The only stipulation was that youth up to the age 19 (In Switzerland the adult age is 20, thats the age you're paying taxes, can vote and been called to mandatory armed forces service.) had to be accompanied by an adult with a valid hunter number and license. That may have changed since then.

Elkhound
08-16-2008, 09:42 AM
1 grouse with a 20g then a spring bear

rifleman
08-16-2008, 09:48 AM
For My 14th Birthday My Dad Paid For A 7 Day Flyin Dahl Sheep Hunt. We Lived In Whitehorse Y.t. At That Time. We Spotted 6 Or 7 Rams Bedded Down So We Had To Put A Stalk On Them To Get Close Enough. When We Were About 150 Yds. My Dad Told Me To Shoot The Closest Ram. He Was Bedded Down So We Had To Wait For Him To Stand Up. When He Stood Up I Squeezed The Trigger & Put 130 Gr. Boat Tail Thru His Boiler Room. He Turned Around & Layed Down. When We Got To Him He Had Not Even Moved From Where He Was When I Shot Him. I Still Have The Mount To Remember That Hunt......
Sheep Hunting Is Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red Foreman
08-16-2008, 09:50 AM
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/BLM_album/Pic%20post/Buck_and_the_30_06_sized.jpg

This is my first buck.

Either rabbit or grouse was the first game animal,countless squirrels and birds before that with the pellet gun.

First large game animal was a 4 point muley,I walked in about 7 km,I knew I was getting far from the truck but everytime I'd be about to head back I'd spook up a few deer.I came upon this really small doe and was about 15 feet away from it,I had my camera so I was trying to get a picture of it when a herd of about 25 deer came out on the hill below me.I saw a 4 point go behind some bushes so I set up in a crook of a tree and waited for him to come out from behind them.Around 75 yards but on a hill steeper than 45 degrees.I shot and hit right where you want to but the bullet exploded or deflected on the ribs(there were 7 seven ribs shattered 30-06 180 gr silvertips) and his vitals were pulped.That deer still managed to run at least 300 yards down this hill.When I went to get him at every jump he was leaving a blood splash 6 inches wide by 2 feet.It took me a long time to drag him up that hill I thought I was going to have a heart attack.It took me 30 minutes to get up one spot maybe 20 yrds because it was almost verticle and loose shale the deer kept sliding back down.I finally got him to the top of the hill and then had to walk the 7 km back to get my truck.While I was gutting the deer a huge grandpa deer came out and watched me from about 30 yrds away.I since shot moose that were a lot less work than that deer.

Dirty
08-16-2008, 09:51 AM
My first big game animal ever was a forkie mule buck at 15 years old.

moosinaround
08-16-2008, 10:01 AM
First ever was agrouse with my pellet gun. The first big game animal was a calf moose. Was the first time I field dressed an animal by myself. Took a while but the butcher said it was a good job. Moosin

newhunterette
08-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I aint telling cause I give y'all enough to laugh and make jokes about me - so not gonna add fuel to the fire this time lol

perhaps one day when I am old and forgetful and can make the story seem more elaborate I will share the chuckle

or

get me drunk and I will tell all sorts of tales about my first game kill hehehehehehe

bsa30-06
08-16-2008, 10:23 AM
First was probably a grouse , then my 2pt muley,then about 2 years without pulling the trigger, then a cinnamon/blonde bear, and then another cinnamon/blonde bear.Hopefully this year a moose, muley,blacktail, and another bear......wishful thinking.

Rock Doctor
08-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Ants, with a magnifying glass.........not bad on toast, as long as you didn't cook them too much:frown:.

My father was NOT a hunter, but I did manage to get invited out on a hunt with friends when I was about 15. I got lucky and baged a 43" Bull Moose, from about 30 yrds. I knew nothing about Hunting, or Regulations...........I just pointed the .22 Hornet where I was told, and pulled the trigger:eek:. Been hooked ever since.
Believe it or Not.

Getting educated interfiered with hunting for a few yrs after that, but at 18, I was out by myself, with a borrowed 350 Mag (Model 660). I was such a TOOL, I still had no idea what I was doing. I parked my quad right in the middle of a cutline cross and waited. A HUGE Moose with 2 cows walked out on the line 350yrs to the North. I stood right in front of the Quad, looking frantically for SOMETHING to rest on. Finally, with NOTHING handy to rest on, I took the shot freehand. The shot punched a hole through the first shoulder blade, smashed the backbone, split the offside shoulder blade, and ended up under the hide on the off side.
HE DROPPED LIKE HIS BONES HAD TURNED TO WATER
I jumped on the bike and drove up to him.......the cows would not leave. So there I was sitting on the bike, about 8-10 feet from 2 cows. They had their ears laid back, and were stomping the ground.......I was sitting on the bike flipping my hands at them "Shoo, get, go away". I had no idea how close I came to getting STOMPED:redface:

Anyway, I still had no idea what to do, so I stared for a bit, then went for help. When we got back, the guy that lent me the gun was a little stunned at what I had done and where I had done it from. We laid a tape on the Moose, 53" across, and 14x17 points.

RD

hillclimber
08-16-2008, 11:43 AM
small game was either a grouse or a squirrel

big game was a 4pt mulie

NaStY
08-16-2008, 01:38 PM
My first animal was a boone a crocket brown faze black bear. Got him on my first spring bear hunt......

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb240/becauseican_2007/P5060142.jpg

todbartell
08-16-2008, 05:25 PM
first big game kill was a 2x2 mulie buck @ 30 yards with 30-30 Model 94, shot on october 26th 1995

johnes50
08-16-2008, 05:55 PM
My first animal was a Ruffed grouse when I was about 15. I was sitting watching a red fox eating grapes, just like in Aesop's fables, when a grouse came gliding down the ravine towards me. I took a head on shot and got him. The fox jumped about a foot in the air and I laughed out loud at him as he ran away.

springpin
08-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Do Bullfrogs count??? I ate the legs, they were some tasty. Think I was probably 7yrs old.

OOBuck
08-16-2008, 06:54 PM
First was small buck, with a traditional longbow, homemade string, and steel (not razor) broadhead arrows.

Fancy steel broadhead whats wrong with a hand fabricated stone one!

First animal was a 3x3 Pender Island Black Tail about ten yards away after crawling on my hands and knees for what seemed a mile. He was with a doe at the time and I had to wait for her to take a few steps prior to blasting him with my shotgun..

riflebuilder
08-16-2008, 07:22 PM
probably a gopher, first big game animal was a spiker whitetail

troutseeker
08-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Woodcock with a .410. Not an easy shot with so few pellets... My godfather always wanted me to believe I shot a partridge on the fly as my first kill. But I knew he made the shot, we both fired at the same time was all. Nice guy, too bad he passed, damn cancer!

Troutseeker

Wild one
08-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Big game 3x3 moose with a 270 small game grass hoppers with a 22

303carbine
08-17-2008, 11:51 AM
My first (big game) kill was a bull moose in the fall of 1973,I dropped him with a handloaded 130 grain Silvertip out of a .270 Brno ZKK-600.
That combination accounted for many head of game in the following years.

BC4Bowhunter
08-17-2008, 12:10 PM
First big game kill was a two point mule deer with a Browning BPR in a 308 when I was 15. I had such bad buck fever first shot I missed but got him with the second shot. Never will forget it, it was a first time gutting a big game animal too. Let say it wasn't pretty :rolleyes: but tasty in the end :wink::mrgreen:

Mr. Friendly
08-17-2008, 02:52 PM
My first animal was a boone a crocket brown faze black bear. Got him on my first spring bear hunt......

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb240/becauseican_2007/P5060142.jpg
that's a freaking huge bear N5! how much did it weight? what was it's length and spread? and more importantly...how did it taste? :eek:

TIKA 300
08-17-2008, 03:59 PM
1st real kills we're rats with a pellet gun in our chicken coop(my dad had leg hold traps before they we're banned,which wasnt very pretty,but funny:biggrin::biggrin:)

1st big game was a 2pt whitey in Rock Creek

BigBanger
08-17-2008, 06:08 PM
BEAR
It seemed I harvested about a half dozen bears before my first buck.I still recall my first buck as a friend,new to the outdoors,and I left the cabin one morning in the fall and on the way to my hunting area,he said "look at that deer",it was a 2 point feeding in the slash about 40 yards away.I was on the binders and out the door like lightning and boom,down he goes.My friend could'nt even speak,total shock,but it was the monkey off my back and I have never gone a year since without at least 1 buck harvest.1996

Awsome . Sounds like a great day . Funny as hell .

BigBanger
08-17-2008, 06:11 PM

Big bush man . Sure the hell better then doin drugs and robbing old ladys . Good job gettin out there .

Poguebilt
08-17-2008, 06:17 PM
My first big game was a black bear at 20 yards. 30.06 barnes triple shock with my new TC prohunter worked awesome!

NaStY
08-17-2008, 07:31 PM
that's a freaking huge bear N5! how much did it weight? what was it's length and spread? and more importantly...how did it taste? :eek:

We weighed it at the taxidermist shop and scaled at 325lb no guts. The hide squared off at 7'2" and is now a rug. ( was supposed to be a tanning job) Still waiting on the skull, but it measured 21". The meat was made into sausage. The peperoni was awesome and so was the smokies. The dinner sausage is a little strong.

Nalidixic
08-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Haha, brings back memories for sure.
Nalid

Not bad on toast.

Mr. Dean
08-18-2008, 07:35 AM
I'd like to know what the first critter it was that you shot. gopher's and birds qualify, tho the stories probably aren't quite as exciting as Mr. D's 428m shot (LOL!).

I'm most interested in big game, but if it wasn't your first kill, do tell. :) if there's a story about it too, I would be honored to read about it! :D

My 1st kill was a sparrow.
Then gophers. :lol:

My 1st animal for food purposes woulda been a pigeon.
Big Game, This Mule Deer.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/1stbuckaroo_edited-1.JPG

And yes. It's antlers are a plaque on the wall. :smile:

Steeleco
08-18-2008, 08:05 AM
My first big game beast was a moose, a long ways up the hill from the boat! Hunting became a whole new obsession after that trip.

NaStY
08-18-2008, 09:47 AM
It looks like a HYBRID . (A grizz father & a blackie mother):confused:
The head has some grizz characteristic!:???:

Nope no grizz in him. His ears were torn right down, he had alot of big scares on his face. Approx age was about 12yrs.

martyonthewater
08-18-2008, 08:23 PM
1st kill was a mallard hen down on sumas prairie as a kid, 1st big game, mmmOOOOOOOOOOOOse.

Avalanche123
08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Ist kill was a grouse and then rabbit. First large game was actually a mule deer.

Little Hawk
08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Howdy,

Back in the early 80's on my sixth hunt up North of Lilliput? (I'm trying to spell Lilloet? This is what the spellcheck offered up) near Tyaughton Lk.

I track a doe up into a landing on a cutblock. My 2-ltr. wineskin - which I then used for water - is slowly leaking and so tied and hanging from a string on my backpack. Whenever I stop walking the thing swings back and forth gently, rocking me with it. I wonder then if this might be a problem if I'm trying to aim at something. I discard the notion and minutes later there she is (LEH Muley doe) about 85 yards uphill on the other side of a deadfall; I can only see the upper half of her torso.

Ya-all know where this is going don't you?

With my heart ready to jump out of my chest I ease the safety off the Old-Brit (303) then raise the rifle. Sure as hell, the wineskin is causing my entire body to gently sway from side to side; I can't, for the life of me, hold the gun on target. Back and forth goes the gun. Finally I grit my teeth and let one go. 'BOOM!'

Down she goes. Then up she gets again. I freak, charge up the hill 10-yds as I chamber another round, then raise the gun... back and forth it goes. Can't hold it still... 'BOOM'.

My buddy was a quarter-mile away and he later told me he'd counted six shots all together. (charge up the hill, chamber another one, swinging back and forth... God, how pathetic can it get?) Coming to my senses I finally walked up to her and finished the job up close. She wasn't going anywhere; a large portion of her spine was gone with the first shot. I tell myself she was in shock and couldn't feel anything.
I stood over her and suddenly was overcome with emotion. I looked up to the heavens and yelled, "Thank You!"

Instantly thereafter, huge snowflakes began pounding down around me. It was the end of a two-week hunt and it hadn't snowed a flake previously.
The whole deal was like a religous experiance for me.

Good Luck!

Terry

Brambles
08-19-2008, 03:19 AM
First kill was probably a Robin as a youngster with a pellet gun.

But I don't count that. First real kill was a blackbear

bckev
08-19-2008, 09:24 AM
My mother told me I was killing her for years, but she is still alive so I don't think that counts. So mine would be a grouse, First deer was a spike. My first whitetail was my biggest to date.

MichelD
08-19-2008, 09:47 AM
My mom gave me heck for killing robins and thrushes with a BB gun, then one day I snuck the old man's 12 gauge out of the house and went up an overgrown logging road and shot a grouse at about 20 feet with # 4 shot.

There wasn't anything to bring home really, but I did anyway.

First big game?

4x5 Blacktail on northern Vancouver Island in 1970, shot with a Ross M10 303 with receiver sights.

ruttinbuck
08-19-2008, 12:46 PM
First big game critter 1984 4X3 muley.RB
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/ruttinbuck/kills/Firstdeer1984.jpg

skagit57
08-21-2008, 09:32 AM
My first big game kill was a 2 point mulie taken at Spuzzum.

Flingin' Sticks
08-21-2008, 12:23 PM
first kill...domestic duck with my bow and broadheads....had no need for the axe after I was through with him.

First big game was a 2X3 mulie that I still haven't been able to beat for four years now (keep shooting the first deer I see).

tuchodi
08-21-2008, 12:32 PM
My first game was a Prairie Chicken or Sharp Tail Grouse in Alberta when I was 6 shot hum with my BB Gun that I got for Christmas from my Dad. My firts big game was a Moose when I was 14, shot that with my Uncles 270.

J_T
08-21-2008, 03:24 PM
First kill (where I felt emotion) was a squirrel with a rock. First real harvest was either a black bear, a 4 pt elk or a 165 mule deer buck. I don't really remember. Those days are a blur. I was 12 years old that year.

This was before they had cameras or before it was popular to photograph kills.

My weapon was an open sites 30-30.

Tell me our attitudes and our equipment haven't changed.

Mr. Dean
08-21-2008, 04:01 PM
before they had cameras
J T is ooold. :smile:

Fall_Guy
08-22-2008, 01:23 AM
First animal shot was a rabbit. Shot with a 22. I'll never forget it eventhough it was over 25 years ago.

bochunk2000
08-22-2008, 04:59 AM
My first animal was a small black bear. I ended up shooting a few before I got my first deer. That was an archery doe. Nom I'm a 12 step program required junkie. I stopped hunting bears with a rifle and can't wait to get the first one with a bow.
Steve

mfarrally
08-22-2008, 12:58 PM
First animal i shot was an Impala Buck when i was in South Africa. I worked on a game reserve for 4 months and ended up shooting about 20 of them and some warthog. Great experience

Wildman
08-22-2008, 01:39 PM
3x4 west coast VI BT. Still my biggest yet.