PDA

View Full Version : Feel Sorry For Moose Hunters

BCRiverBoater
08-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Do not feel sorry for the guys that are able to get out and hunt but feel sorry for them if the got an animal today. It was 34 degrees today in FSJ for opening day. Could only imagine the flys and hornets. Wonder how much eat soured today. Supposed to be just has hot for 2 more days. The whole week is mid 20's and warmer.

Swamp Donkey
08-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Amen River Boater ! I'm just sitting here in Dawson Creek waiting for the weather to break, eager for the cow elk that's coming up.

hunter1947
08-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Thats a change from what they usually get ,I bet there where a lot of bulls knocked down yesterday.

gbear
08-16-2008, 08:40 AM
I heard of a few knocked down yesterday. I know of one guy that was scrambling around trying to find a place to hang it. Only a few guys left with coolers. And seems the ones that are left have been at it a long time and are trying to downsize. Not sure if that is true or not though. Heard yesterday that someone bought Zingers and hopes to open up soon.

mark
08-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Thats why I quite hunting in august, its always hot, it sucks!

Deadshot
08-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Unless your creeping through the timber during the day, I've found first light & last light are the only times your going to catch them moving. Hanging the meat is another issue all together.

Red Foreman
08-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I remember about 5 or 6 years ago hunting moose in the Merritt area wearing shorts and sandles in October.That was one friggin hot year.

David Heitsman
08-16-2008, 10:39 AM
August is for hunting birdies on the golf course, not skinny sheep
or velvet moose.

jml11
08-16-2008, 10:40 AM
I was up in the Pine Pass working yesterday, lots of camps on the Clearwater-callazon FSR but no moose. Only one guy I talked too had seen a cow. I imagine this weather will make for some slow moose hunting.

ARGR
08-16-2008, 10:53 AM
I've got plans to be there next weekend but if its this hot I'm not going!!!!

Avalanche123
08-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Heat sucks.....

Barracuda
08-16-2008, 11:51 AM
I hate the cold give me heat any time.

other then the game hanging issue, hunting in the warmth is so much more enjoyable then the bloody cold.

Orangethunder
08-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Personally I wouldn't even bother shooting yesterday or any day that its that hot. Why waste an animal? But then again I dont have a meat locker on wheels like some guys...

Barracuda
08-16-2008, 02:51 PM
thats the biggest problem with heat ,

I have known fellows that have gone on 10 day hunts only to return two days later because they had gotten a moose and it was too warm to keep from spoiling and insects were rampant

Machinist
08-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Been on a Three day Motorcycle trip through the North and rode from Dawson Creek to Maple Ridge . It was real hot up there yesterday from Dawson Creek to Home !! And BUG'S !!!! FACK , I had to stop every 50 Km and clean off my Visor , Seen lot's of Rig's on Hwy 97 headed north ,and passed two truck's with Antlers mounted on the front's headed back .
Sure hope it cools down a bit for all the Hunters up there , Dressing out a Moose in the Heat and the Bug's rite now would not be fun, Great motorcycle trip !! 8)
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk163/Machinist_2008/FirstRide2008005.jpg

4pointer
08-17-2008, 02:17 PM
We learned the hard way back in the day when we first headed off to Chetwynd. All the meat coolers were full and we were sent up to Ft. St. John so instead we headed home. After that, we now have one truck dedicated to towing up the deep freezes and generators while the other trucks take all other gear. Never looked back since. As for the bugs, our partys are usually big so two guys with massive wackers do the trick. Works wonders!

abbyfireguy
08-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Not going to 6-01 till October 3rd to work on the two bull draws we have..
Unless you're freezing your knackers off its hard to keep the meat from spoiling..For me to waste game to spoilage is wrong if you can avoid it. Thats why I go later.
Some guys like the heat,me,no thanks..
I sweat enough packing it out in 5 degree weather..:roll:

hunter1947
08-18-2008, 06:07 AM
If I came across a bull moose in temp that are in the 30+ degree temp I would still drop it.

The one thing you got to do is get the hide off right away ,then get it out to a cooler that day or first thing the next morning.

If I had to drive over 200kl or further to find a cooler then I would.

I have shot elk in the EK on opening day in sept and have had temp up in the mid 30ties.
I have never lost meat to this day if the animal was shot in these hi heat conditions.
Its all about what you do after you down an animal in these conditions.

If you seen an animal that you think might be a 2 or 3 day pack to get it out to your camp ,then you would let the animal pass.

Its not worth taking a chance on loosing the meat if you could not get it out in this time period ,you have to use common séance when you come across a situation as of this.

twanger
08-18-2008, 06:26 AM
Why not try and have a cooler/hanger lined up before they pull the trigger if it is that hot. I see more and more guys with a trailer full of deep freezers and a gen.sets, good on them. I think some personal hunting ethic's come into play, and I hope not too many Moose got spoiled in the heat.

hunter1947
08-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Why not try and have a cooler/hanger lined up before they pull the trigger if it is that hot. I see more and more guys with a trailer full of deep freezers and a gen.sets, good on them. I think some personal hunting ethic's come into play, and I hope not too many Moose got spoiled in the heat.

You just have to know what your limits are before you pull the trigger ,this is when years of experience comes into play for you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

NEEHAMA
08-18-2008, 10:59 AM
aug hunters need a cooler on their trailer.

can't hope the commercial ones have space and some guys are in just too far to make it out in the day.

killman
08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Seen my first Moose head go through town today!

Panda
08-18-2008, 11:11 PM
was up at pink mountain for opening day... 5 or 6 racks taken in before noon. i think they charge $20 /day to hang your moose in the freezer

boonerbuck
08-18-2008, 11:48 PM
I just returned from hunting the Chetwynd area. We spent a week in the bush and it was friken hot!!. We had to take most of the days off and hide from the sun. It really screwed things up. Along with the full moon there was little hope in seeing any bulls in an otherwise great spot. Needless to say we got skunked.

Oh well.....:cry:

I'm sunburnt to hell.:cry:

Caveman
08-19-2008, 05:49 AM
I've got a couple buddy's from work in the FSJ area right now, but they have a commercial refrigeration unit mounted on a trailer. A little over the top for most of us but they should be alright. But I'm sure the heat won't make them real happy

hunter1947
08-19-2008, 06:21 AM
It wouldn't be a bad idea if I bought a big cooler unit and towed it up around Hudson hope area for the first month of moose season ,I would make big bucks if I could hold up to 40 moose at one time ???.

Caveman
08-19-2008, 07:28 AM
40 moose at $20 per night....................................HMMMMMM!! ! I think you're on to something!!

Fisher-Dude
08-19-2008, 07:48 AM
I don't feel sorry for anyone that's moose huntin' while I'm sittin' at work! :icon_frow

I've shot opening day elk in Tshirt weather that were in the cooler the next morning and were fine. The worst part of quartering, skinning, and packing in that weather is the number of sand flies that end up down your throat!

Caveman
08-19-2008, 07:49 AM
I don't feel sorry for anyone that's moose huntin' while I'm sittin' at work! :icon_frow

No Sh*t!!!!

Viking
08-19-2008, 08:30 AM
Was out chasing moose last weekend, 31 degrees and only went down to 12 degrees at night. Way to hot and to many bugs.

jml11
08-19-2008, 08:58 PM
just drove from from Quesnel to PG, seen a few racks heading south along with a bunch of freezers. One truck was pulling a trailer with 4 freezers on it!!! Not too far ahead of him was a caravan that had 3 bulls, I imagine he was with them...

hunter1947
08-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Well the moose hunters are not suffering from the heat now ,it is only going to get to +14c today up that way.

Jonny outdoors
08-20-2008, 08:12 AM
WE just got back yesterday with a small bull my brother in law shot we where up around the 101 area and learning from past years situation this year I brought a big deep freeze with us . Moose was shot around 520am and by 7am was in the freezer and cooling .When I spoke to the butcher before we left he just said the we should rotate the meat in the freezer so that air can circulate through out the meat .Next year I am taking two coolers now that I know the freezer work that well.

boonerbuck
08-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Well the moose hunters are not suffering from the heat now ,it is only going to get to +14c today up that way.

I knew this would happen as soon as I left.:sad:

hunter1947
08-23-2008, 12:41 PM
A friend of mine that lives in cranbrook phoned me last night ,they just got back down from dease lake area ,they got one moose each ,the weather was excellent ,was around +15c.

elkdom
08-23-2008, 12:53 PM
A friend of mine that lives in cranbrook phoned me last night ,they just got back down from dease lake area ,they got one moose each ,the weather was excellent ,was around +15c.

Out my area 30 klms out from Dawson Creek this morning at 5 am, temp was +3c,several days of rain cooled things down, last few mornings at sunrize +3c,+4c many more moose and elk moving also, probably only a few days till we get a heavy frost, then them critters will be moving, feeding longer!