PDA

View Full Version : bear attack

dino
08-15-2008, 10:00 PM
I have a question for some of you bear hunters and bear lovers. My problem is this I live on property with a creek running through it and cannot fence it off, I have a little boy that plays outside alot under my supervision. The problem is that a about a 400pound black bear and her two cubs come through my property every day, I live about 2 or three miles from where a lady was attacked who was recently in the newspaper. Th e local co and the town will only put up warning signs.This is a problem bear with my neighbours also, one of them has even approached me and asked me to take care of the bear myself, he also has kids that cant play outside because of this bear.am I being a little paranoid ? the Bear does show signs of aggresion by chomping its jaws when it sees humans.
Dino

browningboy
08-15-2008, 10:08 PM
If it's going through your yard everyday and around the neighbourhood, its a garbage bear, but if I was in your situation with young kids (like me), I would most likely try a bear banger first and if it comes back, its a dead bear period, I wouldn't even second guess myself.

Steeleco
08-15-2008, 10:13 PM
PM sent Dino!

NaStY
08-15-2008, 10:13 PM
SSS Shoot, shovel and shutup,,,,,,,,,

Gateholio
08-15-2008, 10:23 PM
I'd keep a gun handy, and your kid safe...Don't stop supervising him even for a second.

If she is showing aggression, she isn't afraid of humans. Dangerous bear, IMHO.

Marc
08-15-2008, 10:29 PM
popping teeth and the hackles up on the back are signs of aggression so are swaying from side to side as they walk towards you. I'd contact the CO's and if possible get a nuisance license. The sad thing is the cubs will probably have to be destroyed as well as she's been teaching them to be garbage bears.

BCBear
08-15-2008, 10:42 PM
There is only one course of action to be taken if that bear shows up in your yard when your children are there playing..and we all know what that is. Better you in some legal wrangling than your child getting a life changing mangling!

Mr. Friendly
08-15-2008, 11:42 PM
There is only one course of action to be taken if that bear shows up in your yard when your children are there playing..and we all know what that is. Better you in some legal wrangling than your child getting a life changing mangling!
I agree with that and while you can't bank on it saving your arse from any fire, the media stink of a dad being charged with defending his children from a rogue bear may help you. wait, did I just say something? :rolleyes:

Mr. Dean
08-16-2008, 01:20 AM
SSS Shoot, shovel and shutup,,,,,,,,,

Promotion of this _____ serves the community of hunters little.
If the actions are warranted, theres nothing to run and hide from.

We dont condone illegal activities here.

Done.

hunter1947
08-16-2008, 07:23 AM
I would talk to the local Co about this and tell them if they don't do something about this bear ,that you might have to do something about this bear ,even if it means shooting it out of season.

Tell them that no bears is worth saving when it comes to an attack or even a death to a human.

Blainer
08-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Let's look at this scenario;you are within city limits,what happens if you shoot and wound the bear?,do you follow up the shot as it heads to the streets?Are you prepared to shoot the cubs?,as they would probably have to be shot.
This is not a great scenario for you to be shooting,there are potential red flags all over this as well as potential law suits.
The MOE should be looking after this situation,form a petition amongst the neighbours.

Pete
08-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Mr B Good reply. Leave the Bear control up to those that know what they are doing. Right now there is a certain amount paranoia fueled by the press regarding bear issues. Yes, there has been a mauling as well a couple of bears into houses. The mauling was very unfortunate and I feel for the lady but for those that have bears in their houses I do not have a lot of sympathy for. WE Live in Bear country. This is a self induced problem. Bears in area....food in the open.....doors/windows open..... Bear goes into house.......dead bear. AS far as a 400lb ? Sow Bear growling and popping her jaws this is a normal warning reaction to us approaching her cubs. Does she and her cubs have to get shot for this kind of behavour? Common sense should prevail but unfortunately it often dosen't just because there is a knee jerk reaction to the situation.

dino
08-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Mr B Good reply. Leave the Bear control up to those that know what they are doing. Right now there is a certain amount paranoia fueled by the press regarding bear issues. Yes, there has been a mauling as well a couple of bears into houses. The mauling was very unfortunate and I feel for the lady but for those that have bears in their houses I do not have a lot of sympathy for. WE Live in Bear country. This is a self induced problem. Bears in area....food in the open.....doors/windows open..... Bear goes into house.......dead bear. AS far as a 400lb ? Sow Bear growling and popping her jaws this is a normal warning reaction to us approaching her cubs. Does she and her cubs have to get shot for this kind of behavour? Common sense should prevail but unfortunately it often dosen't just because there is a knee jerk reaction to the situation.
easy for you to say pete ,but your not in the same predictament and she is a large sow.

mark4
08-16-2008, 02:38 PM
I would call the CO first-give him a few days- then if he does nothing to deal with the bear - get a bear tag and a crossbow and get it done. It's obviously not safe to have a bear in your yard with a little kid playing in it. The crossbow is quiet and accurate- It won't bring any unwanted attention from neighbors. The neighborhood will just quit seeing the bear LOL. I know a guy who shot a large blackbear that was alway's in his yard and on his patio with a twelve gauge slug- he has kids too- He never got in any trouble whatsoever- the bear was way too close for comfort and the Conservation officer understood the situation and was cool about it. It took one shot to stop the problem- suprise suprise LOL mabye once the bear was on top of the kid some of these others would jump on the bandwagon and realize that it's time to act, mabye run into the house and start making phone calls for help etc....

Barracuda
08-16-2008, 03:06 PM
I wonder what a tazer would do to a bear :-P

o2fish2day
08-16-2008, 03:10 PM
I was wondering that too actually so I looked it up on youtube. Can't find any video of a bear but look at this bull. Man he was pissed when he got up. Probably why they don't sell tazers for bears...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glb1QJxX1vY

Barracuda
08-16-2008, 03:46 PM
I dont think i would let go of tge trigger for the bull till it was medium rare :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWFBp34zS6E&feature=related

seems to have worked to get rid of the dog though

Rock Doctor
08-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Leave the Bear control up to those that know what they are doing.

????

A few yrs ago, in the parking lot of one of the local Inns, A large Black Bear was reported as "Trying to access a (Bear Proof) dumpster". It was Supper Time, and the restaurant was FULL of tourists watching from the windows, the parking lot had people standing around watching the bear (not too close, of course).
3 Police Vehicles pull in and 1 Officer shoots the bear with his shotgun, the bear takes off running, and then all the officers open up on the bear. Bear dies about half way to the tree line. 11 shots fired, if I remember correctly..............

My point here is only:
I think that just about anybody here could have handled that situation, at least as well, if not better than, these officers did. The officers did there job, the bear was dead and nobody got hurt. But, without going into all the details, What a PERFORMANCE:frown:.

troutseeker
08-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Set up an electric fence and teach your kid no to pee on it. The bear will get zapped once adn never use your lot again.

Troutseeker

sfire436
08-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Promotion of this _____ serves the community of hunters little.
If the actions are warranted, theres nothing to run and hide from.

We dont condone illegal activities here.

Done.

I'm Sfire436, and I approve this message

uraarchr
08-16-2008, 10:24 PM
my brother had a bear in his yard a few times.not right in vernon .but still with close neighbors 50 to 200 yds.he was told by a CO that if the lives of his anyone in his residence or pets were in danger :that he could take care of it w a firearm.every situation is different though and calling the local CO could make a big difference.they are probably under-staffed and could use some help taking care of some life threatening situations.